Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

anshabhi
Topic Author

India introduces 1 year notice period for pilots

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:00 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/shukla_tarun ... 502976?p=v

As one would expect, the pilot community is very unhappy and so are most foreign airlines who poach Indian pilots.
Otherwise, good news for the industry in my opinion. Airlines like AI spend huge amount of money in training their pilots (say, for B787) and they should get some service out of that investment.

ScottB

Re: India introduces 1 year notice period for pilots

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:56 pm

anshabhi wrote:
Airlines like AI spend huge amount of money in training their pilots (say, for B787) and they should get some service out of that investment.

Um, perhaps if they are investing so much in training their staff, they ought to compensate their staff commensurately? Or perhaps it makes more sense for the airline and the employee to sign a contract stipulating a minimum term of employment in exchange for the consideration of airline-paid training? If the airline hasn't spent a bunch of money on training a given pilot for several years, how exactly is this fair to the pilot?

This seems to give lie to the worn-out argument of "If you don't like the job/company/management, just leave!" Now they can't leave for six months or a year!

Antarius

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:58 pm

Stupid... but what do you expect from an entity that has hamstrung AI to the tune of an 8 billion USD loss.

atcsundevil

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:05 pm

One year seems very excessive, in my opinion. I'm not aware of any carrier or country which requires its pilots to give anything close to one year of advanced notice of their intentions to resign. I would understand imposing certain restrictions if they're under contract and are working to fulfill training requirements, but if this is an across-the-board requirement to give 6-12 months notice regardless of time in service with the carrier, then that's completely ridiculous. They need to find ways to entice their pilots to stay by offering them benefits, not by legally preventing them from seeking other opportunities.

lightsaber

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:13 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
One year seems very excessive, in my opinion. I'm not aware of any carrier or country which requires its pilots to give anything close to one year of advanced notice of their intentions to resign. I would understand imposing certain restrictions if they're under contract and are working to fulfill training requirements, but if this is an across-the-board requirement to give 6-12 months notice regardless of time in service with the carrier, then that's completely ridiculous. They need to find ways to entice their pilots to stay by offering them benefits, not by legally preventing them from seeking other opportunities.

One year is punitive. Six months is too much.

Why are there not clawback provisions for training? But not a year. A pilot will be harassed to reconsider with that huge timeframe.

Lightsaber

SamYeager2016

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Let me guess. AI is seeing a large outflow of pilots and has complained. The government can't make the regulation AI specific so they've hit all the airlines.

berari

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:04 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Why are there not clawback provisions for training? But not a year. A pilot will be harassed to reconsider with that huge timeframe.

Lightsaber

Weren't there instances where you had the ME3 also paying the clawback $ as part of poaching?

kjeld0d

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:49 pm

SamYeager2016 wrote:
Let me guess. AI is seeing a large outflow of pilots and has complained. The government can't make the regulation AI specific so they've hit all the airlines.

Why not put the entire government out to tender? Have EK take over on a management contract!

BartSimpson

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:58 pm

Is this reciprocal? Can pilots be given notice within a shorter timeframe?

dtw2hyd

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Six months restriction has been there for a while. One year for Captains is new.

With 300+ B787 trained permanent employee pilots without any to financial penalties, I guess time to guard chickens from hawks.

AI also invested heavily in A320/ATR training facilities, but those are on a 3-5 year contract with penalties, like all new recruits.

dtw2hyd

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
SamYeager2016 wrote:

Why not put the entire government out to tender? Have EK take over on a management contract!

LOL, AI is a lean operation EK is a bloated operation. Compared to AI, EK management has no skills.

lightsaber

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:24 pm

berari wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Weren't there instances where you had the ME3 also paying the clawback $ as part of poaching?

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to.

I have posted before that a limited timeframe clawback is fair. It the recruiting airline wants to pay, why not? As it takes a long time to qualify a pilot for a type, more than 2 weeks notice seems fair.

Poaching is not the term I'd use. Professionals expect a high standard of living. If the Indian airlines do not provide, expect others to offer that standard of living.

One year notice makes someone a slave unless they cannot be fired for 1 year....

Lightsaber

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos