Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aristoenigma
Topic Author

Largest airliner to ever land in Castlegar-ycg

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:18 am

Prior to the Pacific Western Air 737s into Castlegar how large were the predecessor airliners into that difficult airport? I cannot find too much that goes back to the sixties and early seventies. I knew that the early days were hell for the airlines with cancellations due to the weather.

aristoenigma
Topic Author

Re: Largest airliner to ever land in Castlegar-ycg

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:54 pm

Did any Vickers Viscounts or Vickers Vanguards fly to Castlegar? Other Turboprops like Convair 640, Bristol Brittania, Canadair CL-44 or Lockheed Electra? How about piston engines like Douglas DC-3, DC-4, DC-6 or DC-7s?

Canuck600

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 pm

I know they are no longer "airliners" but Convair 580'a & Lockheed Electra Air Tankers both operate out of Castlegar during fire season.

aristoenigma
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:58 pm

I have learned that CPA operated a DC6 from Vancouver through Castlegar to YYC and back to YVR. Later starting in 1969 B.C. Airlines Limited flew a Nord 262 turboprop into YCG. Then PWA bought B.C. Airlines and continued to operate the Nord 26 until mid 1971. PWA flew a Convair 640 turboprop to Castlegar and then the Boeing 737-200. I suppose that makes the DC-6 the largest scheduled airliner in the pre - 737 era. I heard but cannot confirm that a jet larger than the 737 once made an unscheduled landing at YGC but I guess that will stay folklore and mystery.

aristoenigma
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:17 pm

ghYHZ wrote:

Very cool. Thanks for the blast from the past.

AY104

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Interesting thread. Here is an article that appeared in the local news recently about the problems of weather at Castlegar and steps to be taken to remedy much of the situation:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4251044

HJM

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 pm

It is possible that an Air Canada B727-200 has visited YCG as a charter flight during an election campaign.

aristoenigma
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Neat ; is the727-200 the largest airliner that could land there? I imagine it had little or zero stowed cargo and less than full PAX capacity. I wonder if a bigger airliner could land with no PAX and minimal fuel? I guess an emergency landing would always have less than optimal weight consideration.

longhauler

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:36 pm

HJM wrote:
It is possible that an Air Canada B727-200 has visited YCG as a charter flight during an election campaign.

I ran this question on an internal AC pilot forum, and no one remembers such an operation. Having flown election campaign aircraft in the past, they are flown to a very rigid schedule. That being the case, I would be surprised that YCG would be considered as a campaign stop, as the weather minima required would make it less than a sure thing. Especially during the days of 727 operations equipped with only VOR/ADF/ILS.

longhauler

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:38 pm

aristoenigma wrote:
Neat ; is the727-200 the largest airliner that could land there? I imagine it had little or zero stowed cargo and less than full PAX capacity. I wonder if a bigger airliner could land with no PAX and minimal fuel? I guess an emergency landing would always have less than optimal weight consideration.

Technically, with a 5000' runway, I would guess that with the right load, just about anything could fly in there. If an emergency arose, there are better options than YCG close by.

9252fly

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:41 pm

I believe in the 1990's an Air Canada DC-9 made a campaign stop in YCG for the Liberal party.

aristoenigma
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:51 pm

longhauler wrote:
aristoenigma wrote:

Technically, with a 5000' runway, I would guess that with the right load, just about anything could fly in there. If an emergency arose, there are better options than YCG close by.

I suspect you are right about any type getting in with the right load but getting out would likely be an issue with some aircraft, even with an empty plane.

cumulushumilis

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Here is a link to a 1983 Flying article referencing Pacific Western Airlines. It mostly talks about 727-100 in the arctic but has a reference to 737-200 ops into YCG. I can't imagine anything bigger going in there simply because of the complexity of the approach and the fact there is a large mountain in the way on takeoff.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=8BVI6sNpT4wC&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=pacific+western+airlines+727-100+castlegar&source=bl&ots=IBhbrCU5qN&sig=-0ZCj0aMU9nU5q-PM31Fi9IJTfg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjA_7X69u3VAhWLj1QKHW4OBJYQ6AEIWzAK#v=onepage&q&f=false

Viscount724

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:30 am

cumulushumilis wrote:
Here is a link to a 1983 Flying article referencing Pacific Western Airlines. It mostly talks about 727-100 in the arctic but has a reference to 737-200 ops into YCG. I can't imagine anything bigger going in there simply because of the complexity of the approach and the fact there is a large mountain in the way on takeoff.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=8BVI6sNpT4wC&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=pacific+western+airlines+727-100+castlegar&source=bl&ots=IBhbrCU5qN&sig=-0ZCj0aMU9nU5q-PM31Fi9IJTfg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjA_7X69u3VAhWLj1QKHW4OBJYQ6AEIWzAK#v=onepage&q&f=false

As already mentioned, Canadian Pacific operated the DC-6B to YCG for some years on their milk-run route between YVR and YYC. Until flights to AMS began including stops in YYC, that was CP's only flight to YYC for quite a few years. The DC-6B replaced the Convair 240 if memory correct.

I flew on that DC-6B flight once all the way YYC-YVR just for fun one day, on a 50% youth standby fare when I was around 18. It would have been about 1965 as I moved to YVR in 1966. I lived in Edmonton and remember flying on the Pacific Western "Airbus" service from the now closed downtown YXD airport in Edmonton to YYC. That was also a DC-6B then, and connected to the CP DC-6B that left at 1330 per a 1965 timetable after turning around from the eastbound flight. It stopped first at Cranbrook, then the old airport right in the middle of the town next to the CPR tracks, then the short hop to Castlegar. The next stop was either Kelowna or Penticton (it stopped at Penticton 4 days a week and Kelowna 3 days a week). Can't remember where it stopped that day. Then on to YVR. Then nonstop back to YEG on AC, probably on a Viscount.

Although not as heavy as the 737-200, the DC-6B was over 5 feet longer (105'7" vs. 100'2") and the wingspan was over 14 feet greater (117'6" vs. 93').

HJM

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:30 am

longhauler wrote:
HJM wrote:

I ran this question on an internal AC pilot forum, and no one remembers such an operation. Having flown election campaign aircraft in the past, they are flown to a very rigid schedule. That being the case, I would be surprised that YCG would be considered as a campaign stop, as the weather minima required would make it less than a sure thing. Especially during the days of 727 operations equipped with only VOR/ADF/ILS.

IIRC, the year was 1984, the Progressive Conservatives lead by Brian Mulroney used a chartered Air Canada B727 around the country. It may be that YCG was not the airport but YXC instead.

aristoenigma
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:11 am

Viscount724 wrote:
As already mentioned, Canadian Pacific operated the DC-6B to YCG for some years on their milk-run route between YVR and YYC. Until flights to AMS began including stops in YYC, that was CP's only flight to YYC for quite a few years. The DC-6B replaced the Convair 240 if memory correct.

I flew on that DC-6B flight once all the way YYC-YVR just for fun one day, on a 50% youth standby fare when I was around 18. It would have been about 1965 as I moved to YVR in 1966. I lived in Edmonton and remember flying on the Pacific Wstern "Airbus" service from the now closed downtown YXD airport in Edmonton to YYC. That was also a DC-6B then, and connected to the CP DC-6B that left at 1330 per a 1965 timetable after turning around from the eastbound flight. It stopped first at Cranbrook, then the old airport right in the middle of the town next to the CPR tracks, then the short hop to Castlegar. The next stop was either Kelowna or Penticton (it stopped at Penticton 4 days a week and Kelowna 3 days a week). Can't remember where it stopped that day. Then on to YVR. Then nonstop back to YEG on AC, probably on a Viscount.

Although not as heavy as the 737-200, the DC-6B was over 5 feet longer (105'7" vs. 100'2") and the wingspan was over 14 feet greater (117'6" vs. 93').

I suppose Air Canada /Trans Canada Airlines never flew any milk run to YCG in those days. Not profitable or maybe protected by the Canadian Government. I wonder had they would they have flown in with a Vickers Viscount or even a Canadair North Star?

Viscount724

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:01 pm

aristoenigma wrote:
Viscount724 wrote:

I flew on that DC-6B flight once all the way YYC-YVR just for fun one day, on a 50% youth standby fare when I was around 18. It would have been about 1965 as I moved to YVR in 1966. I lived in Edmonton and remember flying on the Pacific Wstern "Airbus" service from the now closed downtown YXD airport in Edmonton to YYC. That was also a DC-6B then, and connected to the CP DC-6B that left at 1330 per a 1965 timetable after turning around from the eastbound flight. It stopped first at Cranbrook, then the old airport right in the middle of the town next to the CPR tracks, then the short hop to Castlegar. The next stop was either Kelowna or Penticton (it stopped at Penticton 4 days a week and Kelowna 3 days a week). Can't remember where it stopped that day. Then on to YVR. Then nonstop back to YEG on AC, probably on a Viscount.

I suppose Air Canada /Trans Canada Airlines never flew any milk run to YCG in those days. Not profitable or maybe protected by the Canadian Government. I wonder had they would they have flown in with a Vickers Viscount or even a Canadair North Star?

AC/TCA had no traffic rights to those points. They were a CP monopoly for many years, until they were transferred to Pacific Western around 1969 as part of a deal that gave CP somewhat more access to the Canadian transcon routes where their rights had previously been very limited.

aristoenigma
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:59 pm

Viscount724 wrote:
aristoenigma wrote:
Viscount724 wrote:

AC/TCA had no traffic rights to those points. They were a CP monopoly for many years, until they were transferred to Pacific Western around 1969 as part of a deal that gave CP somewhat more access to the Canadian transcon routes where their rights had previously been very limited.

Thanks Viscount. Was there a period of years that AC/TCA, especially after WW2, flew to points that were eventually exclusive to CP Air? I read that Penticton had early service from both TCA and CPA. Was there a date that the Canadian government drew the lines on territorial protection?

TheLion

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:24 pm

When I saw the title, I honestly thought this was an airport in Ireland...until I saw the YCG. Had me completely fooled, not to mention confused :psst:

flyingphil

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:51 pm

I recall it is referred to as 'Cancel-gar'
Only flew into it once on a Dash 8 - quite an exciting approach..
.. I heard the issue was climb performance in the event of a missed approach.. especially if icing is involved or loss of an engine..
There is a lot of 'cumulo-granite' surrounding it..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos