24Whiskey

Re: Airports shared between two metropolitan areas

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:54 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
No to AUS-SAT/Central Texas International from me, as it is being conceived.Not to point fingers, but it's mostly supported by folks closer or in San Antonio who want more accessible direct flights since they lack compared to Austin, but that's understandable. Plus the distance is just too large between the two cities; about 90 miles between both city centers? Few if any Austinites would want to drive that far to fly when AUS is already convenient and doing well in terms of routes (it'd be an hour+ of a commute for me from the North!).

It's a growing region and if AUS gets too busy in the long-run (unlikely in our lifetimes, but possible since Austin is always lagging in terms of infrastructure), it may be good to relieve the airport with another airport.

Ok so when I first read the title my immediate thought was the San Marcos/Willie Nelson/Central Texas International Airport.

I've heard the same story about San Antonio making waves about it and Austin responding with a no thanks. The reality is that AUS Bergstrom is already developing into the primary Airport for the region. Much of San Antonio's population is on its north side which puts it about an hour's drive for most people. Very unscientific but I've run into many people who live in SA and prefer AUS for a lower fare or to avoid a layover.

For folks in Round Rock/Georgetown or really anywhere north of 9th street is that a drive to just San Marcos would be upwards of an hour.

Yes keeping infrastructure up with growth is a problem for the region (not just Austin) but AUS has plenty of room to expand. Their master plan calls for an additional satellite concourse to the south of the existing terminal. I do believe one thing holding the airport back from becoming a focus city/hub (outside of WN) is the current lack of gate space.

Meanwhile SAT is filled in on all sides with not much room for their proposed Terminal C.

The future will have AUS become the primary while SAT serves as a reliever.

ScrantonUSC

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:02 pm

RDU is a unique one. Raleigh and Durham share a border and their respective downtowns are only 25 miles apart, yet they are considered separate MSAs. Wake County(Raleigh) and Durham County also share RTP (Research Triangle Park) which is a massive employment center directly between both cities. So I have no idea why the metros are split.

AVLAirlineFreq

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Another one that theoretically might be interesting would be Myrtle Beach, SC and Wilmington, NC. The area between the two airports (MYR, ILM) is among the fastest growing in the U.S. The two airports are currently located about 90 minutes apart.

Channex757

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:24 pm

A joint airport for Manchester and Liverpool was once considered, at the old USAF base at Burtonwood. It would have had good road and rail links to both cities and is roughly halfway between them.

Dominion301

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:45 pm

BSL is a perfect example of serving not just 3 separate cities but also 3 separate countries.

TIJ is another for two.

uconn99

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Pengaea wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
New Haven/Bridgeport Regional Airport

Sikorsky Airport basically lies in between Bridgeport and New Haven. No scheduled service, though, probably due to the proximity of the NYC airports, and to a lesser extent, BDL.

skywaymanaz wrote:
Yale could use an international airport.

But, they (and by extension, New Haven) kind of already do... they're called BDL and JFK. The only flight leaving Tweed is PHL, 3x/weekday (2x/day on weekends). With any runway extension being obstructed by the Town of East Haven, good luck with getting any additional scheduled service.

I guess to add to the debate about BDL... even though it's called Hartford/Springfield, a significant number of people from Southern CT use the airport, so one can argue that it serves at least 3 metro areas.

FWIW, VCP probably counts as serving two distinct metropolitan areas (Campinas and São Paulo).

Although BDL sits in between Hartford and Springfield, like people have stated both are separate metro areas. If you add New Haven into the mix, that is another separate metro area but one thing New Haven does share with Hartford is the entire I-91 corridor which includes Hartford and New Haven metro area's is one large media market, #30 in the country.

DaveFly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:28 pm

phluser wrote:
BestWestern wrote:
What about an airport serving New Jersey and New York City.

Or maybe one serving Baltimore and Washington....

Amazing nobody has thought of this.

New Jersey is not its own metropolitan area.

I think an argument could be made that Central and Northern New Jersey are a separate metro area. The population is huge, but more important, many major corporations, research centers, and hospitals have their headquarters in places like Newark, Jersey City, Park Ridge, Parsippany. Many residents and corporate employees never set foot in New York City. Of course there is quite a bit of overlap, but EWR wouldn't be so overcrowded if it relied solely on residents/corporations in NYC.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

bdlflyer

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Bradley International [BDL] fits this to a lesser extent. The airport is 15 miles north of Hartford, CT and 17 miles south of Springfield, MA. In fact; most airlines list BDL as Hartford/Springfield. I do agree with you regarding rail access; hopefully with the CTRail Hartford Line commencing in 2018, that will provide better connections from the Windsor Locks Station for passengers trying to get to both cities.
Bradley International Airport (BDL) | Gateway to New England | ❤️ Love The Journey | New England's second largest airport

migair54

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:51 pm

paullam wrote:
How about one huge airport between Dubai and Abu Dhabi?

Not really, but DXB serves very good for Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwaim and Ras Al Khaimah. SHJ airport serves all the cities too.

JED could be consider also servind Jeddah and Mecca.

Quad city airport, MLI, it serves Moline and Davenport.
XNA serves Bentonville, Fayettville and Rogers.
EBB airport serves Entebbe and Kampala.
JNB, Johannesburg and Pretoria.

My number one is BSL, it serves 3 cities in 3 countries. Basel, Mulhouse and Freiburg.

phluser

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:09 pm

DaveFly wrote:
phluser wrote:
BestWestern wrote:
What about an airport serving New Jersey and New York City.

Or maybe one serving Baltimore and Washington....

Amazing nobody has thought of this.

New Jersey is not its own metropolitan area.

I think an argument could be made that Central and Northern New Jersey are a separate metro area. The population is huge, but more important, many major corporations, research centers, and hospitals have their headquarters in places like Newark, Jersey City, Park Ridge, Parsippany. Many residents and corporate employees never set foot in New York City. Of course there is quite a bit of overlap, but EWR wouldn't be so overcrowded if it relied solely on residents/corporations in NYC.

It's a weak argument that North and Central NJ should be separate; it's officially part of the same metropolitan area, with strong local commute patterns between the Central/North Jersey counties to NYC, let alone satellite offices and establishments in NJ where NYC might be HQ offices. South Jersey is grouped with Philly. The main overlap of NYC and Philly metros is in Mercer County (home of Trenton and TTN), but it's a relative small county. Mercer Co. NJ is much like Howard Co. MD where Howard is a small county (and with wealthy areas like Mercer) in the middle of Baltimore and Washington DC, but technically inside of Baltmore's MSA.
Last edited by phluser on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

directorguy

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:13 pm

In the Middle East, DXB serves Dubai (obviously), Sharjah (which has its own airport), Al Ain, and the Northern Emirates. AUH serves Abu Dhabi, Al Ain (which is equidistant from DXB and AUH), and the western parts of Dubai emirate.
DMM is the main international airport in Saudi Arabia's Eastern Province, serves Dammam, Jubail, Al Khobar and Hofuf. Hofuf (HOF) now has its own airport with limited domestic/international routes (mainly to Cairo and Dubai). DMM replaced the DHA (Dhahran) airport much further south in 1998.
BAH, located in a separate country, services a lot of passengers headed to the Eastern Province. Depending on where you live, it is sometimes much more convenient to cross the Causeway into Bahrain and catch a flight from there than it is to drive all the way to DMM and have a less pleasant airport experience.

flyingclrs727

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:56 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
An airport in San Marcos to split the difference between SAT and AUS makes waaaaay more sense than Casa Grande between PHX and TUS...but neither will happen...ever.

Why would Austin pay for a shared airport with San Antonio, when they already have an airport with a 12,000 foot runway and a 9,000 foot second runway and a new passenger terminal? Austin has daily non-stop service to LHR. A shared airport with San Antonio would have no benefit.

bfitzflyer

Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:28 pm

Del Bajio,serves Guanajuato and Leon Mexico.

AWACSooner

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:03 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
An airport in San Marcos to split the difference between SAT and AUS makes waaaaay more sense than Casa Grande between PHX and TUS...but neither will happen...ever.

Why would Austin pay for a shared airport with San Antonio, when they already have an airport with a 12,000 foot runway and a 9,000 foot second runway and a new passenger terminal? Austin has daily non-stop service to LHR. A shared airport with San Antonio would have no benefit.

Dude, you're preaching to the choir...I was just speaking in hypotheticals.

Aircellist

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:04 pm

I believe YMX was at one point intended to serve both Montreal and Ottawa, somehow.
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

Atlwarrior

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:10 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
Another one that theoretically might be interesting would be Myrtle Beach, SC and Wilmington, NC. The area between the two airports (MYR, ILM) is among the fastest growing in the U.S. The two airports are currently located about 90 minutes apart.

NC and SC laws are so different and I would never see those two States coming together for an airport.

n797mx

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 am

SeaDoo wrote:
I think an airport between Cincinnati and Dayton would have made sense.

They did. ILN used to be a DHL hub... :duck:
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

planeguy

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:51 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned SEA yet (aka "Sea-Tac"). Also, wasn't there talk about building a new terminal between Cartagena and Barranquilla?

stl07

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:09 am

Does TIJ count since it's in both nations

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:38 am

planeguy wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned SEA yet (aka "Sea-Tac"). Also, wasn't there talk about building a new terminal between Cartagena and Barranquilla?

Tacoma is not a separate MSA. However, SEA serves the Olympia and Bremerton-Silverdale MSAs.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

falstaff

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:06 am

What about LEJ? Halle and Leipzig are two very distinct cities and the airport is between them.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

alggag

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:21 am

The AUS/SAT shared airport concept never really made sense to me. IMO the two cities are just a little too far apart to pull it off and I'd wager that had it been built it would have ended up as another YMX boondoggle with passengers and airlines sticking to existing SAT and even the old Mueller AUS.

c933103

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:10 am

alggag wrote:
The AUS/SAT shared airport concept never really made sense to me. IMO the two cities are just a little too far apart to pull it off and I'd wager that had it been built it would have ended up as another YMX boondoggle with passengers and airlines sticking to existing SAT and even the old Mueller AUS.

According to what being described above they are already effectively sharing the same airport without infrastructure support

727LOVER

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 am

TPA
PIE
SRQ
FLL

The latter 3 have it in their names. TPA serves Tampa/St. Petersburg/Clearwater
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

SeaDoo

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:47 am

continental004 wrote:
Edinburgh and Glasgow ought to share an airport. The two cities are only an hour apart from each other.

That is one that I too have previously thought would make sense to combine. I realize that an airport between halfway between the two cities would be farther than the current airports to their city centers. I don't know much about the surrounding areas and how that might make a midway airport between the two biggest Scottish cities practical vs. impractical.

Roots1

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:49 am

ROCDLFAN wrote:
For so many years you've had people talking about building an airport between BUF and ROC around Batavia area (GVQ). Rumors will die out for a few years, them some politician will float the idea, the public argues about it, and like always it ends up completely dead.

If both cities didn't have well established airports, I'd say why not give it a shot. The main obstacle being the airport would be a minimum 30min away from either city, but hey, why not fantasize.

Yes this has been talked about for years. GVQ could certainly work, there's plenty of open land around it and it's right off I-90. Extend (and widen) the runway to 10,000' and add a smaller parallel for GA traffic. It'll never happen though.

klakzky123

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:55 am

Now that the San Diego terminal is live, does the Tijuana airport count? Yes it still only has Mexican carriers (and there's the San Diego airport) but it now officially serves San Diego with the dedicated American landside area. Its probably the closest thing to a cross border airport serving two metros.

SeaDoo

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:15 am

continental004 wrote:
Edinburgh and Glasgow ought to share an airport. The two cities are only an hour apart from each other.

That is one that I too have previously thought would make sense to combine. I realize that an airport between halfway between the two cities would be farther than the current airports to their city centers. I don't know much about the surrounding areas and how that might make a midway airport between the two biggest Scottish cities practical vs. impractical.

alyusuph

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:35 am

Kilimanjaro International Airport in Tanzania is in the middle of Arusha and Moshi and serves the two towns. Arusha has its own small airport which can accommodate aircraft up to 70 seaters (Q-400 or ATR 72s). You may recall the ET 767 mishap of landing in Arusha instead of Kilimanjaro in 2013 https://goo.gl/QV99AE
I am not an Airbus or Boeing fan, just an aircraft fan

DaufuskieGuy

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:09 am

Atlwarrior wrote:
Charleston and Myrtle Beach would work

traffic on 17 is terrible and would not benefit CHS as much or maybe at all

DaufuskieGuy

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:14 am

Roots1 wrote:
ROCDLFAN wrote:
For so many years you've had people talking about building an airport between BUF and ROC around Batavia area (GVQ). Rumors will die out for a few years, them some politician will float the idea, the public argues about it, and like always it ends up completely dead.

If both cities didn't have well established airports, I'd say why not give it a shot. The main obstacle being the airport would be a minimum 30min away from either city, but hey, why not fantasize.

Yes this has been talked about for years. GVQ could certainly work, there's plenty of open land around it and it's right off I-90. Extend (and widen) the runway to 10,000' and add a smaller parallel for GA traffic. It'll never happen though.

I'm a former ROC er - my friends will drive to BUF for WN flights. but i don't think BUF would gain that much from it, what additional destinations would they pick up? plus the state is not awash in cash,

ggflyboy

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:19 am

Boeing778X wrote:
I would argue that ABQ serves both Albuquerque and Santa Fe well, even though SAF is beginning to have an increase in carrier traffic now.

If we're talking "metropolitans", Rio Rancho, the second largest city in New Mexico, is adjacent to Albuquerque, and does not have their own airport.

If we're discussing New Mexico, don't forget Las Cruces, pop 100k, which is dependent on ELP for commercial service, about an hour away in a different state. ELP also handles a fair bit of cross-border leakage from Juarez/CJS.

kordcj

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:23 am

Chicago and Milwaukee would be good contenders for a shared airport, could call it O'Hare.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

hz747300

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:38 am

Tucson & Phoenix with a Casa Grande airport? I think this was mentioned a few times when I was small. I don't think it makes much sense though. Given the awesome location to downtown for PHX, who would want to give that up. Plus, I think you'd need really high speed rail to connect from both locations and rail is not something Arizona does well.

Thankfully it never materialised.
Keep on truckin'...

CDG777FAN

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:44 am

Brussels Airport catchment area goes also till Northern France city of Lille... Basle is another exemple as the airport was built on the French side of the border to serve Mulhouse and Basle and Fribourg in a lesser extent even if people in can take train and go to Zurich.

Kikko19

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:00 am

DFW?

LHLX

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:00 am

TLV airport serves practically of Israel (apart from the deep south that is served by ETH/VDA), and it most obviously serves the metropolitan areas of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

Dominion301

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Aircellist wrote:
I believe YMX was at one point intended to serve both Montreal and Ottawa, somehow.

In theory with theoretical high-speed rail to both city centres, but that never happened and instead each cities' main airports suffered internationally. YUL is now just starting to realize its potential, whereas YOW still suffers from the ill effects of YMX as it "trained" people from Ottawa that it's acceptable to waste 2 hours driving to Montreal, especially for the hundreds of thousands of annual leisure passengers.

I think YOW will only start to realize its international potential as the "right-sized" for the YOW marketplace 737MAX and 321LR enter airline fleets over the coming 5-10 years. KEF, DUB, GLA, LGW and CDG are all realistic future at least summer-seasonal transatlantic routes.

JCTJennings

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Channex757 wrote:
A joint airport for Manchester and Liverpool was once considered, at the old USAF base at Burtonwood. It would have had good road and rail links to both cities and is roughly halfway between them.

Yes, Burtonwood was a large airfield with a 9,000ft runway and room to expand, but the intense rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester dictated that they had to have their own airports and the Burtonwood runway now sits beneath the M62 Liverpool-Manchester motorway.

incitatus

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Take Fort Dix in Central Jersey and build a massive airport with 8-parallell runways to serve both the New York area and Philadelphia metro areas. Build a maglev network to land-side-only terminals in central Philadelphia, Manhattan, Newark, White Plains and Long Island. Passengers can check in at these terminals and then get through their gate with maglev plus an easy people mover connection. Close PHL, EWR, LGA and JFK.
Conservatives against Trump

VC10DC10

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Aircellist wrote:

My understanding is that the Canadian government was at one time going to build an intercontinental airport in Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, which would have served both Montreal and Ottawa, but that for political reasons, a site in Mirabel was chosen (hence YMX). It's a shame that the other location wasn't chosen; history might well have been different.

ODwyerPW

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:36 pm

an airport between Lincoln and Omaha Nebraska would have perhaps been better than the two separate airports of Eppley (OMA-20 gates) and Lincoln (LNK-4 gates).

the two cities are less than 50 miles apart. although omaha is greater in size, lincoln is the state capital.

note: Lincoln's does double duty as an Air National Guard base using it's long runway (12k ft). (former SAC location).
learning never stops.

Channex757

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:10 pm

JCTJennings wrote:
Channex757 wrote:

Yes, Burtonwood was a large airfield with a 9,000ft runway and room to expand, but the intense rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester dictated that they had to have their own airports and the Burtonwood runway now sits beneath the M62 Liverpool-Manchester motorway.

There are still a few little bits of it left though. The old equipment dumps, a couple of which are mildly radioactive apparently. Not from nukes but the paint they used to use to make instruments glow in the dark!

God alone knows how many US servicemen ended up with cancers thanks to that stuff.

I used to drive up that motorway a few times a week to work and there were still some taxiway remnants left as late as the early 90s.

Jet-lagged

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Maybe something between Guangzhou and Shenzhen would have made sense, before the new airports were built.

Gr8Circle

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:39 pm

kavok wrote:
DTW is an obvious example, as the only airport serving both the Detroit and Ann Arbor metro areas.

It also serves most of the Toledo metro area O-D too, but since Toledo does have their own very small airport, Toledo is not included.

DTW also, to some extent, serves the Windsor metro area, which is in Canada....

kavok

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:17 am

Gr8Circle wrote:
kavok wrote:
DTW is an obvious example, as the only airport serving both the Detroit and Ann Arbor metro areas.

It also serves most of the Toledo metro area O-D too, but since Toledo does have their own very small airport, Toledo is not included.

DTW also, to some extent, serves the Windsor metro area, which is in Canada....

Completely true, though Windsor does have its own airport.

I specifically included Ann Arbor because it is a sizable separate metro area with no commercial airport. Posters on A.net love to use MSA figures, instead of the more accurate CSA numbers when talking about airport market size. Hence the post that Ann Arbor and Detroit are "separate" metros was partially meant to show the obsurdity of using MSA figures on A.net

zakuivcustom

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:23 am

Maybe something between Guangzhou and Shenzhen would have made sense, before the new airports were built.

Except if, let say, they did build an airport in, let say, Dongguan back then, I'm pretty sure they'll be looking at a 2nd airport by now.

Seriously, CAN is 3rd busiest airport in China while SZX is 6th busiest. Both need to be expanded fairly recently (CAN is of course, fairly new). Combined the two airport and you have (2016 stats) 100 million pax, which is just below ATL. (PEK is at 94M right now, but there's a reason why they're building a new airport).

Not to mention, you're talking about 10.3M people in Shenzhen, 11+M people in Guangzhou, and of course, add in 8M people in Dongguan and may as well add in the ~7M people in Foshan, you're talking about a giant metropolitan area of 36M. At that amount of people, you pretty much need more than 1 airport anyway.

bigb

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 am

SEA with Seattle and Tacoma, DFW with Dallas and Forth Worth, CIN, RDU, MSP,
ETSN Baber, USN

bigb

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:47 am

kordcj wrote:
Chicago and Milwaukee would be good contenders for a shared airport, could call it O'Hare.
Except MKE has scheduled services with plenty of options as well.
ETSN Baber, USN

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:55 am

The way things have evolved MCO and SFB serve the Orlando metro area as well as Daytona Beach and Melbourne/Palm Bay. That's 3 metros. Obviously DAB and MLB are still generating air service but many people in those metros now are driving to MCO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos