Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightsaber

Re: What's next for Allegiant? - discussion thread

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:12 pm

cbphoto wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
cbphoto wrote:
MD-80 retirement update!!! So it looks like some of you will get your wish. November 28th will have a special commemorative MD-80 Flight LAS-FAT-LAS. November 26th is the final day of scheduled MD-80 service, with a retirement ceramony in SFB on the 27th.

Do you know if this dispels the rumor that a few MD-80s were going to stick around for a few months after November to act as subs for the Airbus fleet until G4 gets a few more aircraft?

The way it was worded actually adds more fuel to the fire, as it specifically stated that the last “scheduled” flight was the 26th of November. They could easily keep a few more around for a few weeks for spares.

Yes, it does add more fuel to the fire. It would be cheap to keep a small pool available as spares, all it costs is paying a pool of pilots to sit around on standby.
Note: I assume F/As are in a jointly certified pool and yes, there will be a maintenance bill too (but not much). IMHO, the Airbus fleet should be flown 100% (or as close as possible on a leisure schedule) with the MD-80s on backup.

Lightsaber

TYSflyer

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:29 pm

cbphoto wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
cbphoto wrote:
MD-80 retirement update!!! So it looks like some of you will get your wish. November 28th will have a special commemorative MD-80 Flight LAS-FAT-LAS. November 26th is the final day of scheduled MD-80 service, with a retirement ceramony in SFB on the 27th.

Do you know if this dispels the rumor that a few MD-80s were going to stick around for a few months after November to act as subs for the Airbus fleet until G4 gets a few more aircraft?

The way it was worded actually adds more fuel to the fire, as it specifically stated that the last “scheduled” flight was the 26th of November. They could easily keep a few more around for a few weeks for spares.

Good point. I think it would be wise to keep a few around if they really will be as short on aircraft as it appears. Granted, this time period will be during their low travel season, outside of the holidays, so I’m not sure how heavily the Airbus fleet will be utilized then.

Vegaschezhed

Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Allegiant starting red-eye service on 10/4 in a couple of markets. LAS-ATW depart 2355 arrive 0600. Return 0700 arrive 0849

william

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Vegaschezhed wrote:
Allegiant starting red-eye service on 10/4 in a couple of markets. LAS-ATW depart 2355 arrive 0600. Return 0700 arrive 0849

That's a good way to increase utilization with the soon to be smaller all airbus fleet.

lightsaber

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:38 pm

william wrote:
Vegaschezhed wrote:

That's a good way to increase utilization with the soon to be smaller all airbus fleet.

1. As noted increases utilization of A32x fleet.
2. Only Airbus fleet is reliable enough to push this level of utilization.

I speculate the more advanced predictive maintenance plan G4 signed up for will be tested. If Allegiant starts running a significant number of lines at JetBlue utilization, they should look into NEO.

Why yes, I am obsessed with Allegiant having changed their business model enough that they should buy approximately a dozen NEOs. I've watched as the bring in new CEOs they have increased utilization of the Airbuses, which was already higher than the MD-80s significantly.

This is the old trade of variable versus fixed cost. I'M HOME Allegiant will always need 2/3rds of the fleet low fixed cost (used), but they have now matured to where my estimate is about a third of their fleet must be under a dozen years old (again, an approximation) to run on more intense lines (9+ hours per day averaged over the year).

Lightsaber

jgcotter

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Has N241NV gone back in for paint yet or is it still sporting the Vuellegiant livery?

MSPSXMFLIER

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 pm

What next for Allegiant? I'll say that there will be some future talks held between current Allegiant management and their former CEO, Jude Bricker, about buying out Sun Country from Apollo Global Management. Don't laugh, I really wouldn't rule that out. It would be a quick way to pick up their seasonal Hawaii, Alaska, Mexico, Central America & Caribbean destinations. Jude knows his former company well and he might wind up in charge of a combined operation, were it to work out that way. I don't see AGM as a long term owner of the carrier....they're more likely to squeeze the company for some profit, put it up for sale and move on.

william

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:07 pm

Sun Country brings nothing to the table for G4. Jude knows where to send his resume if wants to come back.

william

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:11 pm

lightsaber wrote:
william wrote:
Vegaschezhed wrote:

I speculate the more advanced predictive maintenance plan G4 signed up for will be tested. If Allegiant starts running a significant number of lines at JetBlue utilization, they should look into NEO.

Why yes, I am obsessed with Allegiant having changed their business model enough that they should buy approximately a dozen NEOs. I've watched as the bring in new CEOs they have increased utilization of the Airbuses, which was already higher than the MD-80s significantly.

This is the old trade of variable versus fixed cost. I'M HOME Allegiant will always need 2/3rds of the fleet low fixed cost (used), but they have now matured to where my estimate is about a third of their fleet must be under a dozen years old (again, an approximation) to run on more intense lines (9+ hours per day averaged over the year).

Lightsaber

I bet the new and still under warranty Airbuses are getting the higher utilization duties to pay for themselves.

lightsaber

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:40 pm

william wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
william wrote:

Lightsaber

I bet the new and still under warranty Airbuses are getting the higher utilization duties to pay for themselves.

The new Airbus A320s were bought cheap enough to use on 7 or 8 hour lines. The fact they are in their maintenance holiday means it is cheap to use them for added cycles and hours.

So in effect, because Allegiant has new planes they can profitably run redeyes. Redeyes are only profitable if the plane has already done it's share of day time duty.

If the red-eye works out in quantity, Allegiant should look into NEOs as the ratio of fuel burned versus the monthly lease payment switches to favoring buying new.

Lightsaber

william

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:10 am

lightsaber wrote:
william wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

The new Airbus A320s were bought cheap enough to use on 7 or 8 hour lines. The fact they are in their maintenance holiday means it is cheap to use them for added cycles and hours.

So in effect, because Allegiant has new planes they can profitably run redeyes. Redeyes are only profitable if the plane has already done it's share of day time duty.

If the red-eye works out in quantity, Allegiant should look into NEOs as the ratio of fuel burned versus the monthly lease payment switches to favoring buying new.

Lightsaber

True, but problem is the nearest delivery date for a NEO is about 6 years out. So buying used while also being cheaper gets G4 aircraft quicker.

lightsaber

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:37 am

I just went back through a transcript of the last conference call. I might be late to the game, but it struck me on how the new revenue management system will result in more cut flights (fewer frequency).

It also struck me how they are really trying to improve operational performance. I agree. I happen to subscribe to the theory DL reveives a RASM bonus due to great opperations as well as a bit of free word of mouth advertising. Allegiant had the opposite (I've had relatives complain in the past, but recently had good comments).

I would love to know more on why two MD-80s had to be retired prematurely last quarter.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/419024 ... transcript

william wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
william wrote:

Lightsaber

True, but problem is the nearest delivery date for a NEO is about 6 years out. So buying used while also being cheaper gets G4 aircraft quicker.

It isn't 6 years to the first slot. ;) But yeah, cost might delay. Going back through the conference call there is a push to cut off peak (poor revenue) flying. That is counter to my NEO hopes... :( That said, I see a limited role. But with NEO engine delays, negotiations will be poor until 2021 for 2022+ delivery.

I wonder if G4 will take any more new CEO. I'm guessing the answer is at the right price. ;)

Facinating the impact of up to five used A320CEO with 186 seats shifting into 2019 is doing to profit. I'm also amazed how well they have done with a $1 gallon increase in the price of Jet A.

Lightsaber

Sean-SAN-

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:00 am

Based on allegiant.com the red-eye flights will be A319 so it doesn't have anything to do with the newer airframes.

FATFlyer

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:45 am

Allegiant held an Investor Day today. The presentation is at the link. It has a little about the airline but there was a major focus on talking about Sunseeker Resort plans.
http://ir.allegiantair.com/static-files/fd068923-19c9-457a-abc1-4fd40ba3ac39

Financial demographics of Allegiant passengers is brought up often on a.net. This slide from today's presentation compares Household Income and Net Worth of Allegiant passengers vs the US population in general.
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1362468/000136246818000035/finalsunseekerid059.jpg

spinkid

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:24 am

FATFlyer wrote:
Allegiant held an Investor Day today. The presentation is at the link. It has a little about the airline but there was a major focus on talking about Sunseeker Resort plans.

Financial demographics of Allegiant passengers is brought up often on a.net. This slide from today's presentation compares Household Income and Net Worth of Allegiant passengers vs the US population in general.
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1362468/000136246818000035/finalsunseekerid059.jpg

Thanks for sharing. There was some great information in there. Very interesting regarding their demographics. Higher Income households tend to be more well traveled and well read and therefore aware that Allegiant exists. Which makes that not as surprising as some people might think.

Slide #58 makes me think we might see a CHS-PGD flight in the near future, along with lots of other PGD additions based upon all their attention towards the Sunseeker Resorts in that area.

Someone mentioned Allegiant buying Sun Country and that is NOT happening. No one is buying Sun Country in the near future. They don't own planes or any other kind assets. Once they restructure, a few years down the road. Maybe then.

Vegaschezhed

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:36 am

Slide 60 was pretty powerful regarding the hotel spend of the Allegiant traveler. The focus on meeting and event space should also increase bundling. Very interesting

spinkid

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:17 am

Vegaschezhed wrote:

That sounds like a long day for the crew. This isn't an area I'm familiar with, but could operational or weather delays cause them to time out quickly? I know Allegiant tries to avoid overnighting crews.

william

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:31 pm

spinkid wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:

Thanks for sharing. There was some great information in there. Very interesting regarding their demographics. Higher Income households tend to be more well traveled and well read and therefore aware that Allegiant exists. Which makes that not as surprising as some people might think.

Slide #58 makes me think we might see a CHS-PGD flight in the near future, along with lots of other PGD additions based upon all their attention towards the Sunseeker Resorts in that area.

Someone mentioned Allegiant buying Sun Country and that is NOT happening. No one is buying Sun Country in the near future. They don't own planes or any other kind assets. Once they restructure, a few years down the road. Maybe then.

So is the Allegiant customer older and more affluent or young professional? At the Austin station, looking around I see young proffessional but it is Austin. With all of the North/South traffic I am betting older demo. If it was younger Allegiant would be looking at on board wifi and the ancillary income that can come from that.

Gsasala

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:33 pm

william wrote:
spinkid wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:

So is the Allegiant customer older and more affluent or young professional? At the Austin station, looking around I see young proffessional but it is Austin. With all of the North/South traffic I am betting older demo. If it was younger Allegiant would be looking at on board wifi and the ancillary income that can come from that.

When I flew on allegiant it was a lot of college students, and big familes but the big familes might have been because I was flying to Orlando Sanford

FATFlyer

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:21 am

william wrote:

Individual routes of course would have different demographics. But the net worth numbers on the slide I linked would give hints that there is a high percentage of an older demographic since that group will have more net assets such as home equity and investments.

For example, the 22% of Allegiant customers with a net worth over $750,000 would likely be a mainly an older demographic. The 37% with a $250,000 to $750,000 net worth would also likely consist mainly of a mid-life or older demo.

jgcotter

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:55 am

MD80s N861GA & 862GA stored at OPF on 9/06/18; N409NV, N872GA & N876GA stored at OPF on 9/11/18. 20 x MD80 on property now at Allegiant.

usxguy

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:17 am

did ya'll see what 2237 did today?!?!

Northwest1988

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:58 pm

usxguy wrote:
did ya'll see what 2237 did today?!?!

What’s that?

sunking737

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:34 pm

Flightaware has it flying right over the hurricane. A non aviation friend told me about it. I told him it was a glitch, as the FAA would never allow that flight path.

jgcotter

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:39 pm

Any ideas what 241 is doing in MIA?

727LOVER

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:04 am

sunking737 wrote:
Flightaware has it flying right over the hurricane. A non aviation friend told me about it. I told him it was a glitch, as the FAA would never allow that flight path.

I'm confused....did it happen or not?

sunking737

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:11 am

Color me embarrassed, I guess it did. G4 even said so publicly. 10,000 feet above the storm

727LOVER

Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:51 pm

I'm hearing from a few sources that there is a company wide announcement tomorrow.

Hmmmmmm ....... :hyper: :spin: :yes: :biggrin: :confused: :dopey:

lightsaber

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:04 pm

727LOVER wrote:
I'm hearing from a few sources that there is a company wide announcement tomorrow.

I hope for an aircraft order, new crew base, or a new (2nd) Sunseeker resort.

I suspect it is a fee change to align with the US3 $30 per bag and a lower change fee to gain PR.

Lightsaber

Midwestindy
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if they announced int'l expansion

ibthebigd

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:35 am

If its International expansion what routes would Allegaint start

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TYSflyer

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:47 am

ibthebigd wrote:

There has been speculation that they will go with some of their larger bases such as PIE and SFB and allow some connections similar to what F9 does.

Midwestindy
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:55 am

ibthebigd wrote:

I think there were a few scenarios for international flights
1. The first option is to make a stop at an airport that has a Customs facility (SFB for instance), process and clear everyone, then reboard the plane and continue to XYZ midwest airport. This would add expense and take extra time and resources as well as create other issues
2. The second option is to offer connecting flights through Allegiant hubs (LAS, SFB) on return international flights (Not going to happen)
3. The third option is to only offer international service to airports that have a US CBP Preclearance facility. Aside from Canada, that leaves only a few places like Bermuda, Bahamas, and Aruba. Although this severely limits international destinations, it at least makes a nonstop flight possible back to XYZ midwest airport.
4. The fourth option is to only sell and operate international flights from mid-large size airports (LAX, LAS, IND, etc) that already have regular international flights and the facilities to handle them. While this is probably the easiest thing to do operationally, most of these airports already have international flights operating to the places that G4 would want to fly to which means competition.

Ultimately, I don't think they will operate many Small City-Mexico/Caribbean flights initially, as the amount of people with passports in those areas is very small.

Once they start international flights, I think they will open up routes from SFB, PIE, PGD, and AZA. G4 has been in the ear of PIE for a while telling them they want to add international flights to the Caribbean or Mexico.

Eventually, probably LAX, IND, PIT, CVG, e.t.c would be next

ibthebigd

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:56 am

Could it be Wifi?

Spirit is getting Wifi so maybe Allegiant is adding wifi to?

727LOVER

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:01 pm

OK, so I'm a little confused. First I heard it that there was to be a ceremony @ SRQ gate....then I heard it was to be company wide. So at the SRQ gate a little while ago, it was announced that G4 had flown 40 million people into Florida. This was at the gate for the PIT flight. Also, it was announced that everyone on this flight would get a refund....airfares, baggage fees, etc. Video can be seen on SRQ's facebook page.

E D I T :
Was the SRQ-PIT flight the only one that was free? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Last edited by 727LOVER on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dabpit

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:05 pm

If international flights then look for SFB to be the first city along with cities that have crew/aircraft bases. Unfortunately, AZA will not get any international flights until the new terminal is open, the exception is flights to Canada. SFB-LIR/SAP/PAP/SDQ/PTY for Central America and the Caribbean, SFB-YHM/YOW/YUL/YHZ for Canada, and I think you will see them pick a city like NAS to serve multiple cities in the States NAS-ABE/PIT/CVG/IND/AVL/LCK/GSP.

Of course none of those more than twice a week with no connections.

Jshank83

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:35 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Sooo I am guessing nothing?

Unless its the 40 mil passenger thing, which is not all that exciting.

lightsaber

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:37 pm

40 mil passenger? Ummm... Yeah.

:yawn:

sunking737

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:49 am

maybe since their first flight into SFB back in the day....

727LOVER

Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:03 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 444848002/

So there was a free flight from each Florida airport

SRQ was PIT
PGD was CVG
PIE was BNA
SFB was DSM

I don't know about FLL, VPS or JAX

Jshank83

Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:14 am

VPS-BLV got the promotion also.

jgcotter

Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:00 pm

Did 241 get painted while it was in MIA for 17 days or is it still sporting Vuellegiant livery? It appears to be back in service at FLL.

Meltshopmax

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:16 pm

no 241 is sitting on the ramp in cvg still in vuellegiant paint... Kinda nice to see actually.

freakyrat

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Vegaschezhed wrote:

LAS-SBN Also

jgcotter

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 am

241 ferried to LCQ tonight, probably for paint.

Northwest1988

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:41 am

So we’re almost to mid October with only a little over a month until the official MD-80 retirement. The only base is SFB. Is the MD-80 still being regularly flown on any routes or are they pretty much fill ins that appear here and there now?

Aloha717200

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:23 am

Northwest1988 wrote:
So we’re almost to mid October with only a little over a month until the official MD-80 retirement. The only base is SFB. Is the MD-80 still being regularly flown on any routes or are they pretty much fill ins that appear here and there now?

Here are the current MD-80 routes for G4 as of 10/10/2018-10/17/2018:

https://tinyurl.com/yb7y8sme

Current destinations:

SFB
LCK
MEM
GRR
ROA
OWB
SBN
MDT
TPA
DSM
BMI
SDF
SWF
ABE
XNA
AVL
TRI
ATW
OKC
LEX
PSM
MLI
MCI
RDU
CLE
CHA
RFD
FSD
ROC
OMA
SAV
SYR
TOL
ORF
HGR
HTS
USA
IAG
CKB
SGF
CID
TYS
TUL
LIT
BGR
ELM
SAT
AUS
MYR
MSY
FLL
RIC
ALB
PBG
CVG
GPT
FNT
PIT

freakyrat

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Northwest1988 wrote:

They are going to fly a few SBN-SFB flights this month. The route is primarily Airbus though.

HanCholo

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:41 pm

I wonder if G4 will eventually decide to fly transcontinental routes? Maybe KBGR - KLAS? I wish they would initiate KELP - KEWR!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos