Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nitepilot79
Topic Author

DL 5508 Aborts Takeoff At ATL Due To Deflation Of Two Tires

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:43 pm

The airport spokesman says that two tires "deflated" during takeoff forcing the crew to abort:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation- ... 08057.html

Article quote:

"Authorities say a Delta Air Lines jet bound for Oklahoma was forced to abort its takeoff on a runway at Atlanta's airport when two tires went flat. Airport spokesman Reese McCranie tells The Associated Press that passengers were removed from the plane, and no injuries were reported. Atlanta-based Delta said in a statement that Flight 5508, operating as Delta Connection from Atlanta to Tulsa, aborted its takeoff around 9:22 a.m. Wednesday after two tires deflated."

Antarius

Re: DL 5508 Aborts Takeoff At ATL Due To Deflation Of Two Tires

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:47 pm

With respect to the thread on the NE Patriots new 767s.... someone call Ted Wells!!

Atlwarrior

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:04 pm

Is that common? How strange! Hopefully the runway is open again.
Last edited by Atlwarrior on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:00 pm

Anyway, it struck me as unusual because I've heard of burst tires during takeoff, but it sounds like these tires deflated during the acceleration down the runway, which seems more uncommon.

flight152

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Why don't we hold outself to a higher standard and not call this a Delta flight since it wasn't operated by Delta?

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 pm

flight152 wrote:
Why don't we hold outself to a higher standard and not call this a Delta flight since it wasn't operated by Delta?

Higher? Seems like the mainlines, by far, are the ones with the most problems overall. And I still think legacy carriers own a big part of trouble regional airlines get into.
Last edited by nitepilot79 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BoeingGuy

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:19 pm

What speed did he RTO? Boeing guidance is to not reject above 80 knots for tire failure. Not sure what the other manufacturers advise.

b747400erf

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:44 pm

flight152 wrote:

It has DELTA painted on the aircraft, people that buy tickets buy them on DELTA, and DELTA hire the regional carrier. For the general public, it is a DELTA flight.

superbizzy73

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:22 pm

Aircraft type? I hate it when a news article doesn't say the type of aircraft...just a personal pet-peeve.

flight152

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:27 pm

b747400erf wrote:
flight152 wrote:

It has DELTA painted on the aircraft, people that buy tickets buy them on DELTA, and DELTA hire the regional carrier. For the general public, it is a DELTA flight.

Please. Spare me the rhetoric. I'm aware of all of this and the article clearly says delta connection. A quick flightaware search said it was operated by Expressjet.

ILNFlyer

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:45 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:
The airport spokesman says that two tires "deflated" during takeoff forcing the crew to abort:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation- ... 08057.html

Article quote:

"Authorities say a Delta Air Lines jet bound for Oklahoma was forced to abort its takeoff on a runway at Atlanta's airport when two tires went flat. Airport spokesman Reese McCranie tells The Associated Press that passengers were removed from the plane, and no injuries were reported. Atlanta-based Delta said in a statement that Flight 5508, operating as Delta Connection from Atlanta to Tulsa, aborted its takeoff around 9:22 a.m. Wednesday after two tires deflated."

I hate to ask the obvious but.....was Tom Brady there?

jetblueguy22

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:09 pm

flight152 wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
flight152 wrote:

Please. Spare me the rhetoric. I'm aware of all of this and the article clearly says delta connection. A quick flightaware search said it was operated by Expressjet.

Airlines are quick to claim credit for service on their regional partners, and even quicker to run away and say it wasn't mainline's fault when something goes wrong. If they don't want the publicity make the airlines run their flights without the DL banner.

AAlaxfan

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:09 pm

But it departed the gate on time and was not cancelled!! :stirthepot:

BravoOne

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
What speed did he RTO? Boeing guidance is to not reject above 80 knots for tire failure. Not sure what the other manufacturers advise.

Boeing guidance cannot cover all events. I had something like this happen in PHX many years ago when the 727 LMLG deflated during the TO roll, The vibration was incredible and we rejected somewhere near 100+. Got the airplane stopped without really knowing what the exact problem was. Two things stand out, the tower through no fault of there own launched a DC9 behind us as we cleared the runway, and of course he went through the torn up tire casings on the runway. On a post flight inspection we could see rubber marks along side the fuselage close to the #1 engine. A flat no rejects above 80Kts simply does work for all circumstances. No rejects above V1-5 or something along those lines makes a lot more sense. You might note, Boeing trains for the hi speed rejects and seldom if ever addresses the low speed rejects in there training syllabus. Train as you fly, fly as you train is pretty good advice.

b747400erf

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:52 am

flight152 wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
flight152 wrote:

Rhetoric? I explained the reasoning. To the media and the general public, it is a Delta flight, the article said Delta Connection. If Delta does not like being associated with regional carriers that fly under their banner, they can change the routes to mainland.

fly4ever78

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:06 am

I'm pretty sure Boeing would recommend aborting a takeoff at 80 knots if BOTH main tires on one side blew??!!! Continuing a takeoff from 80 to 160 knots with only 2 main tires would probably result in at the least a fire and more likely a exit of the runway/accident.

BobPatterson

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:10 am

superbizzy73 wrote:
Aircraft type? I hate it when a news article doesn't say the type of aircraft...just a personal pet-peeve.

According to flight history at FlightRadar24 a CRJ9 is used for DL5508.

The flight eventually left about 2 hours late. I don't know if it left on the original aircraft after tires were fixed/replaced.

As for another poster questioning the attribution of this to Delta rather than to Delta Connection or Endeavor, others have already mentioned that, to the public, they are dealing with Delta.

I had Comcast come to my house to check out a problem a few days ago. They sent a subcontractor. I was not dealing with the subcontractor, I was dealing with Comcast.

Same with Delta and their subcontractors.

wjcandee

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:02 am

The difference in the distinction to me is that when I hear "Delta Connection", I think "small jet". When it's a mainline DL aircraft, we could be talking about a 777 ending up with deflated tires on takeoff, which I think would be more interesting than it happening to an RJ.

leoben

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:21 am

wjcandee wrote:
The difference in the distinction to me is that when I hear "Delta Connection", I think "small jet". When it's a mainline DL aircraft, we could be talking about a 777 ending up with deflated tires on takeoff, which I think would be more interesting than it happening to an RJ.

Not for those onboard...

tootallsd

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 am

wjcandee wrote:

Seriously the four digit flight number beginning with a 5 tells you this was a regional and not a 777.

mjoelnir

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:12 am

flight152 wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
flight152 wrote:

It is Delta and Delta seems to know that. The article clearly states that Atlanta based Delta made the statement about the incident.

LAX772LR

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:49 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Airlines are quick to claim credit for service on their regional partners, and even quicker to run away and say it wasn't mainline's fault when something goes wrong. If they don't want the publicity make the airlines run their flights without the DL banner.

It's not as 1-sided as you seem to believe.

Mainline carriers often have contractual arrangements where the express operator agrees to those very terms:
mainline gets the credit for good news, operator takes the liability for the bad; in exchange for access to the mainline's pax network.

We got a lot of public insight into this during the Colgan crash.

If the regional operator doesn't like it, then they're under no obligation to agree.

kalvado

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:46 am

LAX772LR wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:

It's not as 1-sided as you seem to believe.

Mainline carriers often have contractual arrangements where the express operator agrees to those very terms:
mainline gets the credit for good news, operator takes the liability for the bad; in exchange for access to the mainline's pax network.

We got a lot of public insight into this during the Colgan crash.

If the regional operator doesn't like it, then they're under no obligation to agree.

And that is exactly why I think it is a must to go against deceptive PR and blame the carrier for problems of subcontractors - catering, baggage handling, regional flying etc.

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:37 pm

BravoOne wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Boeing guidance cannot cover all events. I had something like this happen in PHX many years ago when the 727 LMLG deflated during the TO roll, The vibration was incredible and we rejected somewhere near 100+. Got the airplane stopped without really knowing what the exact problem was. Two things stand out, the tower through no fault of there own launched a DC9 behind us as we cleared the runway, and of course he went through the torn up tire casings on the runway. On a post flight inspection we could see rubber marks along side the fuselage close to the #1 engine. A flat no rejects above 80Kts simply does work for all circumstances. No rejects above V1-5 or something along those lines makes a lot more sense. You might note, Boeing trains for the hi speed rejects and seldom if ever addresses the low speed rejects in there training syllabus. Train as you fly, fly as you train is pretty good advice.

Thanks for the responses.

BravoOne

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:14 pm

b747400erf wrote:
flight152 wrote:
b747400erf wrote:

Rhetoric? I explained the reasoning. To the media and the general public, it is a Delta flight, the article said Delta Connection. If Delta does not like being associated with regional carriers that fly under their banner, they can change the routes to mainland.

Nothing to see here, just more bashing from b747erf. It really get old and so much misinformation from this source.

TVNWZ

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:39 pm

More importantly that which airline was involved, who made the tires?

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:23 pm

wjcandee wrote:
... When it's a mainline DL aircraft, we could be talking about a 777 ending up with deflated tires on takeoff, which I think would be more interesting than it happening to an RJ.

That was the last thing on my mind when I made the title.

litz

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:25 pm

wjcandee wrote:

Actually, it would probably be a lot LESS interesting ... because a 777 has many more tires. 1-2 deflating is more of a non-event when there's 12 of them underneath your back end vs 4, or even 2.

coolian2

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Funny. I'm sure I had a post in here that's gone missing.

wjcandee

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:51 am

litz wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Actually, it would probably be a lot LESS interesting ... because a 777 has many more tires. 1-2 deflating is more of a non-event when there's 12 of them underneath your back end vs 4, or even 2.

You say "tomayto", I say "tomahto".

WesternA318

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Not to beat a dead horse but...was this a Patriots charter?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos