Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ADrum23
Topic Author

Will QFA ever serve ORD?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:15 am

I posted this topic previously, but it mysteriously got deleted. I was wondering if Qantas ever plans to fly into ORD?

ORDFlyer99

Re: Will QFA ever serve ORD?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:48 am

They've stated their intent, but it's a 9232 mile flight. A sparsely configured 789 would probably need huge payload restrictions to make it nonstop. Also overflying LAX and DFW. It would be awesome to see here in Chicago, but it would likely be a challenge operationally and financially.

Cunard

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:02 am

Do you want to take the A off your thread title and keep the QF?

You did get some responses from your earlier thread and they all answered in a similar way to ORDFlyer99.

I think it may have been 'mysteriously' deleted as the same question has been posted numerous times on a.net with typically the same replies!

globalcabotage

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:30 am

Yes, but unfortunately, the A-Netter's arm chair CEOs have control and all of these routes have A-Net approval before ORD (and all the O&D / Connections).

ATL: DL hub of the world
BOS: Why not, wicked awesome!
DEN: F ORD
DTW: If it wasn't for DL, etc., DTW would handle 125M passengers per year, and that's in a bad weather year
LAS: See DEN
MIA: It's MIA, we're more entitled than DTW!
PHL: Sure, we overfly ORD, but Rocky!

BAeRJ100

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:39 am

Cunard wrote:

QFA is perfectly acceptable IMO. It's their ICAO code, so it's no different to how some people write UAL or DAL on these forums.

XAM2175

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:05 pm

It is weird though - I've never seen a poster use ICAO airline and IATA airport, as opposed to the far more common (and faintly annoying) IATA airline and ICAO airport...

RL777

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:11 pm

I have a difficult time seeing a business case. The 789 is the only aircraft in QF fleet plans that could technically make it but with severe payload restrictions I don't see ORD offering enough premium demand to offset the lower payload. Even when/if QF order either the 777X or A350 I don't think they will look to immediately with more important and lucrative routes to serve. If QF ever do show up in Chicago, it would most likely be a similar to the LAX-JFK route.

rbavfan

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:21 pm

globalcabotage wrote:
Yes, but unfortunately, the A-Netter's arm chair CEOs have control and all of these routes have A-Net approval before ORD (and all the O&D / Connections).

ATL: DL hub of the world
BOS: Why not, wicked awesome!
DEN: F ORD
DTW: If it wasn't for DL, etc., DTW would handle 125M passengers per year, and that's in a bad weather year
LAS: See DEN
MIA: It's MIA, we're more entitled than DTW!
PHL: Sure, we overfly ORD, but Rocky!

Have to ask "But Rocky!" ?

AAvgeek744

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Cunard wrote:

You did get some responses from your earlier thread and they all answered in a similar way to ORDFlyer99.

I think it may have been 'mysteriously' deleted as the same question has been posted numerous times on a.net with typically the same replies!

Yeah, I've seen this multiple times. As pointed out, it would need a lightly loaded 789, especially westbound. It should be reachable with the 777-8, but that's another one of those threads that keep popping up as well.

Irehdna

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:16 pm

BNE-ORD is possible with B789, but much of the demand is to SYD/MEL. At that point, AA/QF can route you via one stop at LAX versus what would be 1 stop at BNE. I think the next likely Australia route to be announced could be MEL-SFO (more likely via UA than QF), not any route past the US west coast.

One thing they could try if there is demand is to run a B789 MEL-LAX-ORD, but I don't know if there is enough Australia demand in Chicago to support such a service to begin with.

OzarkD9S

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 pm

What about a one-stop via SAN with the plane operated by AA SAN-ORD-SAN? :stirthepot:

AAvgeek744

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:18 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
What about a one-stop via SAN with the plane operated by AA SAN-ORD-SAN? :stirthepot:

Put Jetstar on this one :)

Gemuser

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:20 am

OzarkD9S wrote:

You run into treaty/legal/contractual issues, big time, with this proposal! It can be done, its been done with Concorde services, but it's not easy.

Gemuser

B4REAL

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:59 am

I see the best case for precedence here the JFK-LAX service which Qantas operates only to continue passengers onward to Australia.

You could see a use case for Qantas having a ORD-LAX leg to carry onwards; but it doesn't make so much sense with all of the AA service options on that route (but it apparently does make sense from JFK).

ORD would have (arguably) more domestic feed than JFK; so it could make sense. Would be pretty cool to see Qantas do ORD, JFK to LAX. I think it would then need some thought on what aircraft to use as they basically have a 747 doing the duty to JFK.

Thinking a lot, writing less of it, I'd actually bet we'd see Qantas stop the JFK-LAX on their own metal before we'd see ORD-LAX happen. As for SYD-ORD or BNE-ORD or something; I doubt it really. USA-Australia is getting pretty well served honestly compared to what was available a few years ago.

ZK-NBT

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:43 am

QF announced ORD via LAXbwith 744's twice in the early 2000's didn't go ahead due 9/11 and SARS.

They will serve it at some point non stop from SYD most likely IMO but when they get either 778/359ULR and JFK will be non stop then aswell. QF need to have a point of difference to their competitors in the market and that's where ULH aircraft open up several new markets.

Dalavia

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:23 am

Would an add-on leg from SFO to ORD work, rather than LAX-ORD?

ZK-NBT

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:35 am

Dalavia wrote:
Would an add-on leg from SFO to ORD work, rather than LAX-ORD?

No the point of LAX is you have flights from SYD/MEL/BNE to connect to and onward flight. SFO only had SYD same with DFW neither will be done.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos