Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dtw2hyd

Re: GCAA: No mechanical issues before EK521 crash.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:59 am

There you go zeke. You found the cause. It is PM's fault. Case closed.

catiii

Re: Emirates 777 crash not mechanical

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:20 am

Varsity1 wrote:
Exhausted crews get sloppy. Fatigue is real.

Exhausted crews yes. Poorly trained crews do as well. There's a reason many get the hell out of there as soon as they can get a better job.
Last edited by catiii on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickNRoll

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:18 am

BravoOne wrote:
787Driver wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
Poorly trained crews don't remember that you need to push the power up yourself after touchdown as "TOGA after touchdown" is a completely different animal. WE have all learned something valuable from this accident as it could have been much worse.

I doubt poor training is the cause. As mentioned above, Emirates pilots are working very hard and working long hours both east and west. Even the best pilots make mistakes if they are exhausted.

Well 8 seconds passed between pushing the TOGA switch and manually pushing the power forward, I would say that is indicative of a pilot who did not know that TOGA after TD does not work. Are you qualified on the 787 or 777 BTW? I think EK has a lot of great talented pilots but if you are not trained properly, bad stuff happens. Long hours on duty cannot be blamed for everything that goes wrong these days. How long had these pilots been on duty? If you are a 787 pilot, which I doubt, you must know the significance of what you have just said? Clueless.

Does it emit a warning sound if it is pushed when it is inoperative?

cougar15

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:46 am

b747400erf wrote:
If you press TOGA twice the throttles advance to full automatically in the 777 the fatigued pilots returning from all night flying to India and back having no relief crew spent 8 seconds on that. Blaming them is unfair but EK are never going to get the blame, pin it on the pilots and quietly change that route so you have a relief pilot finally but make no mention of that in public.

The crew had deadheaded to India 2 days before operating this flight....... I think we had covered that in the initital thread in detail already, fatigue is not the issue here,
training relating to TOGA after touchdown seems the primary subject. The report really tells us nothing new that we have not already covered on this platform in detail, except tp confirm that the AC was free of techies.

As Bravo1 already hinted in his posts, we are back to a training and knowledge issue of what TOGA does once the mains have hit terra firma, and until this incident, what was a very little known fact among many triple skippers.... and not just at EK.

787Driver

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:25 am

RickNRoll wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
787Driver wrote:
I doubt poor training is the cause. As mentioned above, Emirates pilots are working very hard and working long hours both east and west. Even the best pilots make mistakes if they are exhausted.

Well 8 seconds passed between pushing the TOGA switch and manually pushing the power forward, I would say that is indicative of a pilot who did not know that TOGA after TD does not work. Are you qualified on the 787 or 777 BTW? I think EK has a lot of great talented pilots but if you are not trained properly, bad stuff happens. Long hours on duty cannot be blamed for everything that goes wrong these days. How long had these pilots been on duty? If you are a 787 pilot, which I doubt, you must know the significance of what you have just said? Clueless.

Does it emit a warning sound if it is pushed when it is inoperative?

No

mjoelnir

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:21 am

Why is there this ambiguity about automation on airplanes? Perhaps not everywhere but somewhere. IMO something should be automatic or not, or clearly indicated when the automatic is on or off. Why does this TOGA switch does not clearly indicate when it is "armed" and when it is off? I suppose it exists to reduce the workload when in a dangerous situation. How does it do that when you have to train to know when the function exist and when it does not exists? Why is it not lightened when armed or beeping when pushed and off? What anyway is the rationale for TOGA being off when the MLG has touched down, is there never a situation that an airplane has to go around after touch down?
I am just a private pilot, no automation at all on the birds I fly.

scbriml

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 am

mjoelnir wrote:
What anyway is the rationale for TOGA being off when the MLG has touched down

Regardless of the rationale, it's better to have it available than not!

My only experience of anything like this was on board an Etihad A346 landing at Heathrow on 09L. The main gear had touched down and before the nose was down the engines were spooling up again and a couple of seconds later we leaped back off the runway and went around.

zeke

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:52 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

I never said anything about who was to blame I pointed out the differances between the manuals which was previously claimed as not existing.

dtw2hyd

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:57 pm

zeke wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

I never said anything about who was to blame I pointed out the differances between the manuals which was previously claimed as not existing.

You haven't blamed anyone zeke. After 4 years of intense investigation, GCAA will find fault with one of the two things. It is either PM or contaminated fuel. One expat and another fuel supplied by a foreign country. Fits their never our fault motto. They are not going find fault with a native PF, do they? PF is off-limits.

Antarius

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:46 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
zeke wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

You haven't blamed anyone zeke. After 4 years of intense investigation, GCAA will find fault with one of the two things. It is either PM or contaminated fuel. One expat and another fuel supplied by a foreign country. Fits their never our fault motto. They are not going find fault with a native PF, do they? PF is off-limits.

How about we wait and see what the final verdict is and then read it and pass judgement? Oh right, there's a big conspiracy....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos