iFlyDTW
Topic Author
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:33 pm

What's next for Spirit?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Id like to start a post about NK, because it seems like other airlines have one so why not have a post dedicated to NK? In another post, a pilot bridge program is being established with GoJet to funnel in new pilots to NK.

Where do you see NK next?

Lets talk about the pesky NEO and the engine problems.

In terms of growth, there's a lot of potential in terms of routes, I am based out of DTW so most of my routes include DTW.
I can see BNA opening in the next year, the first few routes would probably be DTW, DFW, and more than likely FLL.
AUS is another station I can see happening, LAX, DTW, ORD, and LAS.
I think BDL will see DFW, IAH, DTW and ORD.
Home of the "Bare Fare" /// Banana Plane Republic
 
MIAFLLPBIFlyer
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:00 pm

I'd expect a few more medium-sized markets to come online. AUS and BNA are good shouts.

Also perhaps pulling back from the smaller airport strategy completely- the Latrobe's, Plattsburgh, etc.

Three plus years ago it was rumored NK would shift some or all FLL ops to MIA. My understanding is that is no longer on the cards and I think NK's different business model means they can try and withstand the assault at FLL coming from WN as they grow that gateway. They've co-existed with B6 at FLL though NK has cuts destinations and frequencies to places also served by B6 through the years.
 
F9Animal
Posts: 3906
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:05 pm

I would like to see more expansion from SEA. I wouldn't be surprised to see more growth out of LAS as well.
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 5245
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 pm

Frontier is about to have a nice IPO...

And that is how Spirit will grow west of the Mississippi to become the ULCC for the whole country.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa
The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer.
 
jplatts
Posts: 696
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:25 am

Spirit adding nonstop service from DFW to SEA and new destinations that are not yet served by Spirit Airlines, even though there are many in the DFW area who are unwilling to fly on Spirit Airlines.
 
roadpilot
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:31 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:37 am

What's next for Spirit?

Maybe get that pilot contract done.....
 
flight152
Posts: 3303
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 8:04 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:39 am

New paint scheme perhaps? Might as well have 4 flying at a time to really confuse everyone.
 
User avatar
LotsaRunway
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:06 am

Maybe they can find a way to squeeze in an extra row or two of seats. :duck:
 
santi319
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:20 am

They literally said in their last earnings call their next expansion is International, particularly FLL and CUN.....
 
TerminalD
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:23 am

iFlyDTW wrote:
Id like to start a post about NK, because it seems like other airlines have one so why not have a post dedicated to NK? In another post, a pilot bridge program is being established with GoJet to funnel in new pilots to NK.

Where do you see NK next?

Lets talk about the pesky NEO and the engine problems.

In terms of growth, there's a lot of potential in terms of routes, I am based out of DTW so most of my routes include DTW.
I can see BNA opening in the next year, the first few routes would probably be DTW, DFW, and more than likely FLL.
AUS is another station I can see happening, LAX, DTW, ORD, and LAS.
I think BDL will see DFW, IAH, DTW and ORD.

Those are pretty good guesses. I think NK may have to do something dramatic to get back in the good graces of Wall Street. Another formula change or route network evolution. They said they were going to move to the small city model, but never did.
 
Delta757MD88
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:46 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:25 am

Maybe a larger presence at EWR?? They must be doung well they seem to be adding flights and frequency.
Flown on: MD-88/90 DC-9 717 737-7/8/900, 757-2/300, 767-3/400 777-200/300ER 787-9, E145/170/175, CRJ-100/200/700/900, A319/320 A333 Q400.
 
User avatar
jetpixx
Posts: 850
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:22 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:34 am

I was afraid to open a thread about NK...figured they'd find a way to charge me somehow
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LGA, M57, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR
 
kabq737
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:00 am

jetpixx wrote:
I was afraid to open a thread about NK...figured they'd find a way to charge me somehow

They were going to but they didn't have any pilots to fly your flight in the first place.
320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 764, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD88, MD90, E70, E90, TRIM
 
klm617
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:32 am

I would really like to see them build out Detroit and move from just a focus city here into a real full blown hub for all east west traffic with more than just one flight a day to most of it's destinations from Detroit. I would also like to see them team up with WOW Air and use Detroit to transfer passenger to secondary markets that are not viable as far as international travel goes like Jetblue has done at Boston.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Can't see much for my own MSP. No gate space in E.

Anyway, I could see growth in other cities where they currently fly and continue international growth as well.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 pm

^with the slow down in FLL, DTW is growing pretty steadily, wouldn't be surprised to see DTW surpass ORD at some point in the next few years, or strengthen their network by adding DTW-ORD and create a Midwest fortress between both airports.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:50 pm

They might start charging to use the lavatory.
 
phluser
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:42 am

flymco753 wrote:
^with the slow down in FLL, DTW is growing pretty steadily, wouldn't be surprised to see DTW surpass ORD at some point in the next few years, or strengthen their network by adding DTW-ORD and create a Midwest fortress between both airports.


It is very unlikely that Spirit adds DTW-ORD. It is too short and leisure O&D will drive. Maybe you are thinking it would be like FLL-MCO but it's not the same. That route has likely had a great share of international travelers and is an exception with the MCO attractions. Most of Spirit route additions exceed 8hr drives.

I'd just like Spirit to return on ACY-DTW seasonal or PHL-DTW seasonal. I bet AA and DL basic economy fares depressed Spirit demand.

I do agree one stops can help flight service but NK hasn't done it with ACY-DTW. It could do DTW-ACY-Florida as well as ACY-DTW-West with 10-15% pax continuing through, rather than rely 100% on O&D. Instead they tried PHL (likely to prevent F9) but in the end, AA and DL likely offered low enough fares into PHL making NK discontinue the route. But maybe it returns next summer, but there has been no announcement either way.
 
SeaDoo
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:00 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:00 am

jetpixx wrote:
I was afraid to open a thread about NK...figured they'd find a way to charge me somehow



Awesome response. Thanks for making me grin.
 
SkyVoice
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:42 am

There are posters on other threads who are sure that Spirit will begin serving Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky (CVG) very soon. Even though I live close to there, I don't think that serving CVG would be a good thing for NK to do at this time. However, I do think that Spirit would not only be welcomed, but would also be successful at the Dayton International Airport (DAY). Dayton has seen Southwest relocate to CVG, and DAY only has the US3 legacy carriers serving it now, plus a few flights a week by Allegiant to their exclusive Florida airports (SFB, PGD & PIE). Now is the right time for NK to seriously consider adding service to DAY.
 
Pe@rson
Posts: 16332
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2001 6:29 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:15 am

phluser wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
^with the slow down in FLL, DTW is growing pretty steadily, wouldn't be surprised to see DTW surpass ORD at some point in the next few years, or strengthen their network by adding DTW-ORD and create a Midwest fortress between both airports.


It is very unlikely that Spirit adds DTW-ORD. It is too short and leisure O&D will drive. Maybe you are thinking it would be like FLL-MCO but it's not the same. That route has likely had a great share of international travelers and is an exception with the MCO attractions. Most of Spirit route additions exceed 8hr drives.

I'd just like Spirit to return on ACY-DTW seasonal or PHL-DTW seasonal. I bet AA and DL basic economy fares depressed Spirit demand.

I do agree one stops can help flight service but NK hasn't done it with ACY-DTW. It could do DTW-ACY-Florida as well as ACY-DTW-West with 10-15% pax continuing through, rather than rely 100% on O&D. Instead they tried PHL (likely to prevent F9) but in the end, AA and DL likely offered low enough fares into PHL making NK discontinue the route. But maybe it returns next summer, but there has been no announcement either way.


Did NK not begin ORD-DTW before? I can't recall.

Elsewhere, they did operate DFW-IAH!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."
 
Rosie7
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:18 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:29 pm

It was mentioned above in this thread that NK would possibly starting BNA and AUS in the next year or so. Sounds great, but was wondering where did you get the information? Also, it was mentioned that NK might be expanding with more International service. Any idea where these international destinations might be headed? Finally, what are / would be the stateside departure cities that serve the new international cities? Great thread !!
 
phluser
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Pe@rson wrote:
Elsewhere, they did operate DFW-IAH!


Yes, they attempted that one, and it was cut shortly and never attempted again. It appears NK and F9 as well appear to be avoiding short hauls esp. the < 8 hr drive type routes, with the exception of ATL-MCO, and with Spirit, FLL-MCO, the latter which was a time had no direct competitor.
 
phluser
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:35 pm

It wouldn't surprise me for Spirit to implement something new so convoluted just as it's award matrix is currently. (And, I know with Spirit, without their credit card, redeeming miles is a very hard endeavor).

http://www.doublizer.com/awards/fs_char ... 1500562132 (second page)

And possibly Spirit could do it by further monetizing the checked bag options. e.g. checked bag weights at 20-29lbs one price, 30-40lbs a higher price, 40-50lbs a very high price.
 
jplatts
Posts: 696
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:45 pm

SkyVoice wrote:
There are posters on other threads who are sure that Spirit will begin serving Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky (CVG) very soon. Even though I live close to there, I don't think that serving CVG would be a good thing for NK to do at this time. However, I do think that Spirit would not only be welcomed, but would also be successful at the Dayton International Airport (DAY). Dayton has seen Southwest relocate to CVG, and DAY only has the US3 legacy carriers serving it now, plus a few flights a week by Allegiant to their exclusive Florida airports (SFB, PGD & PIE). Now is the right time for NK to seriously consider adding service to DAY.


There is no need for Spirit Airlines to serve CVG since Allegiant and/or Frontier already have nonstop service from CVG to most of the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG and since Southwest can also add nonstop service from CVG to the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG if Spirit does not add service to CVG and if there is enough demand for additional nonstop service to these destinations out of CVG. In addition, there are many travelers who are unwilling to fly on Spirit Airlines with its negative publicity, poor customer service, and leaving customers stranded in the case of cancellations.
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:57 pm

SkyVoice wrote:
DAY only has the US3 legacy carriers serving it now, plus a few flights a week by Allegiant to their exclusive Florida airports (SFB, PGD & PIE).
Throw in seasonal MYR too.

jplatts wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:
There are posters on other threads who are sure that Spirit will begin serving Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky (CVG) very soon. Even though I live close to there, I don't think that serving CVG would be a good thing for NK to do at this time. However, I do think that Spirit would not only be welcomed, but would also be successful at the Dayton International Airport (DAY). Dayton has seen Southwest relocate to CVG, and DAY only has the US3 legacy carriers serving it now, plus a few flights a week by Allegiant to their exclusive Florida airports (SFB, PGD & PIE). Now is the right time for NK to seriously consider adding service to DAY.


There is no need for Spirit Airlines to serve CVG since Allegiant and/or Frontier already have nonstop service from CVG to most of the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG and since Southwest can also add nonstop service from CVG to the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG if Spirit does not add service to CVG and if there is enough demand for additional nonstop service to these destinations out of CVG. In addition, there are many travelers who are unwilling to fly on Spirit Airlines with its negative publicity, poor customer service, and leaving customers stranded in the case of cancellations.
Would that really stop them? They have the same situation up the road in CLE and NK is there.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Pe@rson wrote:
phluser wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
^with the slow down in FLL, DTW is growing pretty steadily, wouldn't be surprised to see DTW surpass ORD at some point in the next few years, or strengthen their network by adding DTW-ORD and create a Midwest fortress between both airports.


It is very unlikely that Spirit adds DTW-ORD. It is too short and leisure O&D will drive. Maybe you are thinking it would be like FLL-MCO but it's not the same. That route has likely had a great share of international travelers and is an exception with the MCO attractions. Most of Spirit route additions exceed 8hr drives.

I'd just like Spirit to return on ACY-DTW seasonal or PHL-DTW seasonal. I bet AA and DL basic economy fares depressed Spirit demand.

I do agree one stops can help flight service but NK hasn't done it with ACY-DTW. It could do DTW-ACY-Florida as well as ACY-DTW-West with 10-15% pax continuing through, rather than rely 100% on O&D. Instead they tried PHL (likely to prevent F9) but in the end, AA and DL likely offered low enough fares into PHL making NK discontinue the route. But maybe it returns next summer, but there has been no announcement either way.


Did NK not begin ORD-DTW before? I can't recall.

Elsewhere, they did operate DFW-IAH!
It was added for a short period of time, I remember a friend of mine had to buy 2 RTs because it was sub $100 to get from TPA to ORD. I was thinking it would be the same effect as MCO-FLL because the CHI market is still pretty large, the only thing that might deter is DL/UA/AA battling it out at ORD while WN/DL battle it out in MDW, my fiancé and I found tickets to MDW from DTW on WN for $70 RT.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:03 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:
DAY only has the US3 legacy carriers serving it now, plus a few flights a week by Allegiant to their exclusive Florida airports (SFB, PGD & PIE).
Throw in seasonal MYR too.

jplatts wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:
There are posters on other threads who are sure that Spirit will begin serving Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky (CVG) very soon. Even though I live close to there, I don't think that serving CVG would be a good thing for NK to do at this time. However, I do think that Spirit would not only be welcomed, but would also be successful at the Dayton International Airport (DAY). Dayton has seen Southwest relocate to CVG, and DAY only has the US3 legacy carriers serving it now, plus a few flights a week by Allegiant to their exclusive Florida airports (SFB, PGD & PIE). Now is the right time for NK to seriously consider adding service to DAY.


There is no need for Spirit Airlines to serve CVG since Allegiant and/or Frontier already have nonstop service from CVG to most of the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG and since Southwest can also add nonstop service from CVG to the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG if Spirit does not add service to CVG and if there is enough demand for additional nonstop service to these destinations out of CVG. In addition, there are many travelers who are unwilling to fly on Spirit Airlines with its negative publicity, poor customer service, and leaving customers stranded in the case of cancellations.
Would that really stop them? They have the same situation up the road in CLE and NK is there.
NK was there prior to the build up of F9 though. F9 added, than DL added, than G4 shifted to CLE, than WN brought back their seasonal MCO, so for the size of CLE's market to ORL its became saturated.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...
 
phluser
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:28 pm

flymco753 wrote:
. I was thinking it would be the same effect as MCO-FLL because the CHI market is still pretty large, the only thing that might deter is DL/UA/AA battling it out at ORD while WN/DL battle it out in MDW, my fiancé and I found tickets to MDW from DTW on WN for $70 RT.


Southwest restored service on MCO-FLL but for a time, NK was the only carrier. I was always surprised that B6 never went after MCO-FLL, given their stronger international focus at FLL and codeshares, over WN. WN's schedule now shows 5x daily on the route.

If there is a wealthy family from out of country coming to South Florida and flying B6 into FLL, and then making a trip to Disney and they don't drive (won't drive South Florida -> Disney, but instead opt to fly), wouldn't they be more inclined to fly B6, a more reputable carrier, over going with NK? I suppose that is a question for B6 but nonetheless, it has helped NK that B6 didn't elect to fly the route. Now, WN is on it and pretty committed to it.
 
User avatar
cvgComair
Posts: 1025
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:05 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:
DAY only has the US3 legacy carriers serving it now, plus a few flights a week by Allegiant to their exclusive Florida airports (SFB, PGD & PIE).
Throw in seasonal MYR too.

jplatts wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:
There are posters on other threads who are sure that Spirit will begin serving Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky (CVG) very soon. Even though I live close to there, I don't think that serving CVG would be a good thing for NK to do at this time. However, I do think that Spirit would not only be welcomed, but would also be successful at the Dayton International Airport (DAY). Dayton has seen Southwest relocate to CVG, and DAY only has the US3 legacy carriers serving it now, plus a few flights a week by Allegiant to their exclusive Florida airports (SFB, PGD & PIE). Now is the right time for NK to seriously consider adding service to DAY.


There is no need for Spirit Airlines to serve CVG since Allegiant and/or Frontier already have nonstop service from CVG to most of the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG and since Southwest can also add nonstop service from CVG to the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG if Spirit does not add service to CVG and if there is enough demand for additional nonstop service to these destinations out of CVG. In addition, there are many travelers who are unwilling to fly on Spirit Airlines with its negative publicity, poor customer service, and leaving customers stranded in the case of cancellations.
Would that really stop them? They have the same situation up the road in CLE and NK is there.

Not really the same situation as G4 is many times larger at CVG than CLE. However, I think they will eventually come to CVG and it would be a good point to draw passengers from SDF/LEX/IND/DAY/CMH.

CVG’s Florida market is really saturated though, not only with G4 and F9, but DL remains the largest airline on the CVG-Florida market.
Next: CVG-CDG-ATH (Delta Air Lines B767-300ER, Air France A319)
A319/320/332, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340
 
MIAFLLPBIFlyer
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:18 pm

phluser wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
. I was thinking it would be the same effect as MCO-FLL because the CHI market is still pretty large, the only thing that might deter is DL/UA/AA battling it out at ORD while WN/DL battle it out in MDW, my fiancé and I found tickets to MDW from DTW on WN for $70 RT.


Southwest restored service on MCO-FLL but for a time, NK was the only carrier. I was always surprised that B6 never went after MCO-FLL, given their stronger international focus at FLL and codeshares, over WN. WN's schedule now shows 5x daily on the route.

If there is a wealthy family from out of country coming to South Florida and flying B6 into FLL, and then making a trip to Disney and they don't drive (won't drive South Florida -> Disney, but instead opt to fly), wouldn't they be more inclined to fly B6, a more reputable carrier, over going with NK? I suppose that is a question for B6 but nonetheless, it has helped NK that B6 didn't elect to fly the route. Now, WN is on it and pretty committed to it.



I think Silver was flying the route the whole time WN was off it. First as United Express then with various codeshares including United and Avianca. NK had the only jet service. Now WN has come back with 5 dailies so again they own the market. B6 I believe might codeshare on the 3M flights.
Last edited by MIAFLLPBIFlyer on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
stlgph
Posts: 9709
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Well, if you read Airliners.net, they're going to be merging with jetBlue, United, Silver Airways, and forming an equity alliance with LOT Polish and China Airlines.


In reality - they can keep adding routes and cities all they want until they're blue in the face but in looking at business strategy, wouldn't be surprised to see them start a la carte selling certain tourist attractions or destinations on their website, similar to Allegiant.

Or for the fun of mentioning it - how about Spirit Express? ;)
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
toltommy
Posts: 2608
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:04 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:20 pm

cvgComair wrote:
However, I think they will eventually come to CVG and it would be a good point to draw passengers from SDF/LEX/IND/DAY/CMH.

CVG’s Florida market is really saturated though, not only with G4 and F9, but DL remains the largest airline on the CVG-Florida market.


NK jumped into CLE for two reasons, really. UA closing the hub left some low hanging leisure fruit to pick, and at the time NK leadership was trying to use larger markets to grow the airline. But there has been a change in leadership, and Fornaro is following the early Airtran model, and growing via secondary markets.

Between the current model and the saturation you point out, I don't think you'll see NK at CVG any time soon. But the secondary markets around CVG? I think you can expect to see them there. Less than daily service combined with outsourced ground and passenger handling makes it easier to jump into a market like DAY.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31
 
flyingfromcvg
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:44 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 pm

I can't see NK doing CVG unless they came in right now while WN basically has no planes to spare for expansion. Even then it would likely destroy yields. G4 and F9 are pretty entrenched at CVG and DL is still a pretty formidable force here on leisure routes. Why would NK want to deal with that with lower hanging fruit 60 miles north on I-75 at DAY. DAY would likely do anything to get them there and they could do their normal leisure destination bread and butter unfettered. I wouldn't be surprised if G4 left if NK moved into DAY.
 
stlgph
Posts: 9709
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:36 pm

If we took all the reasons here on why Spirit Airlines shouldn't be serving an airport, such as Cincinnati, then Spirit Airlines shouldn't be flying to Seattle, Minneapolis, Dallas, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, oh hell Christ I can't keep typing all this....
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
tb727
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:40 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:41 pm

kabq737 wrote:
jetpixx wrote:
I was afraid to open a thread about NK...figured they'd find a way to charge me somehow

They were going to but they didn't have any pilots to fly your flight in the first place.


:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Management is stuck in the past when pilots were begging for jobs.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:49 pm

cvgComair wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:
DAY only has the US3 legacy carriers serving it now, plus a few flights a week by Allegiant to their exclusive Florida airports (SFB, PGD & PIE).
Throw in seasonal MYR too.

jplatts wrote:

There is no need for Spirit Airlines to serve CVG since Allegiant and/or Frontier already have nonstop service from CVG to most of the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG and since Southwest can also add nonstop service from CVG to the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG if Spirit does not add service to CVG and if there is enough demand for additional nonstop service to these destinations out of CVG. In addition, there are many travelers who are unwilling to fly on Spirit Airlines with its negative publicity, poor customer service, and leaving customers stranded in the case of cancellations.
Would that really stop them? They have the same situation up the road in CLE and NK is there.

Not really the same situation as G4 is many times larger at CVG than CLE. However, I think they will eventually come to CVG and it would be a good point to draw passengers from SDF/LEX/IND/DAY/CMH.

CVG’s Florida market is really saturated though, not only with G4 and F9, but DL remains the largest airline on the CVG-Florida market.
I am not sure CLE is much different in the saturation department. There will be non stop service to Florida on all 8 domestic carriers that serve CLE next spring (some are season and not all are daily, but still) (NK, F9, WN, UA, DL, AA, G4, and B6). If NK want to get into CVG, it might be better before WN can build up anything there. Most of the low hanging fruit is gone, but that seems to be true most places domestically.

toltommy wrote:
But there has been a change in leadership, and Fornaro is following the early Airtran model, and growing via secondary markets.

Between the current model and the saturation you point out, I don't think you'll see NK at CVG any time soon. But the secondary markets around CVG? I think you can expect to see them there. Less than daily service combined with outsourced ground and passenger handling makes it easier to jump into a market like DAY.
As someone whose closest airport is DAY, I hope you are right, but I am not holding my breath. I am also unconvinced that NK is pursuing a secondary city strategy. Wasn't their last add PIT with LBE down the road?
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:53 pm

toltommy wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
However, I think they will eventually come to CVG and it would be a good point to draw passengers from SDF/LEX/IND/DAY/CMH.

CVG’s Florida market is really saturated though, not only with G4 and F9, but DL remains the largest airline on the CVG-Florida market.


NK jumped into CLE for two reasons, really. UA closing the hub left some low hanging leisure fruit to pick, and at the time NK leadership was trying to use larger markets to grow the airline. But there has been a change in leadership, and Fornaro is following the early Airtran model, and growing via secondary markets.

Between the current model and the saturation you point out, I don't think you'll see NK at CVG any time soon. But the secondary markets around CVG? I think you can expect to see them there. Less than daily service combined with outsourced ground and passenger handling makes it easier to jump into a market like DAY.


DAY has quite a bit of available gate space (5 gates at the end of A, three on B) and, if I remember right, the Dayton Daily News recently said they've been in talks with NK and B6. I figure B6 is a huge longshot, but could defintely see NK coming to town. I toured DAY in April and, in talking to one of their communications employees, was told they've been happy with the southbound expansion by G4 but they really want flights to the West Coast and apparently have the PDEW to fill a flight to LAX.

Sounded then that two more destinations for G4 are a matter of time, as well, so at least they think there's a demand.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:58 pm

NK I see is kind of moving in from secondary markets ATM, hence recent expansion to PIT and BDL.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...
 
klm617
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:12 pm

stlgph wrote:
If we took all the reasons here on why Spirit Airlines shouldn't be serving an airport, such as Cincinnati, then Spirit Airlines shouldn't be flying to Seattle, Minneapolis, Dallas, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, oh hell Christ I can't keep typing all this....


I agree it's so disheartening reading all these negative comments about why things don't work we need more progressive forward thinkers here coming up with reasons why a certain market is viable rather than why it isn't. You never know who's reading this forum and it may be just the very idea you put in some route planners hear to take a second look at something that he may have missed that gains you a new flight at any given airport.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:45 pm

cvgComair wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:
DAY only has the US3 legacy carriers serving it now, plus a few flights a week by Allegiant to their exclusive Florida airports (SFB, PGD & PIE).
Throw in seasonal MYR too.

jplatts wrote:

There is no need for Spirit Airlines to serve CVG since Allegiant and/or Frontier already have nonstop service from CVG to most of the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG and since Southwest can also add nonstop service from CVG to the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG if Spirit does not add service to CVG and if there is enough demand for additional nonstop service to these destinations out of CVG. In addition, there are many travelers who are unwilling to fly on Spirit Airlines with its negative publicity, poor customer service, and leaving customers stranded in the case of cancellations.
Would that really stop them? They have the same situation up the road in CLE and NK is there.

Not really the same situation as G4 is many times larger at CVG than CLE. However, I think they will eventually come to CVG and it would be a good point to draw passengers from SDF/LEX/IND/DAY/CMH.

CVG’s Florida market is really saturated though, not only with G4 and F9, but DL remains the largest airline on the CVG-Florida market.


What draw would there be from people at SDF/LEX/IND/DAY/CMH to fly NK at CVG, all of those cities have a sizeable LCC presence (CMH at LCK) and all those cities have plenty of options in terms of LCC flights to LAS/Florida and there is hardly any low-cost demand from those cities to DTW, passengers from those airports aren't going to drive hours to get to CVG to get fares they could get flying F9/G4 from their home airport. The only cities that it could maybe draw from would be DAY/LEX but that would only be if it were a large NK operation based in CVG, but you have to remember G4 fills the NK niche very well in most of those cities.

Side note: If NK were to enter the market in CVG, it would be an absolute bloodbath that I would love to see unfold...
ATL BWI BOS CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DTW FLL RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP BNA EWR HVN MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:56 pm

How about NK serving Oklahoma City and Tulsa with flights to FLL, LAS and other leisure destinations?
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:00 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
How about NK serving Oklahoma City and Tulsa with flights to FLL, LAS and other leisure destinations?
It all depends on market size, does OKC or TUL have to PDEW atl support those flights?
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...
 
User avatar
787fan8
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Definitely BNA
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:11 pm

I continue to -- and so do some others on A.net -- believe that probably in 2018, someone (in addition to DL) will start flying between SAN and DTW. My guesses remain: AS or NK. (I suppose WN and F9 might be longshots...)

The one other piece of info regarding NK and the potential route is that for a while now, Spirit has offered direct, 1-stop service between SAN & DTW, usually one way or the other, sometimes r/t. Previously, NK offered direct, 1-stop SAN-ORD service and eventually started nonstop service in the market -- which remains today. This has happened elsewhere with Spirit, and leads me to hope that nonstop SAN-DTW is close!

In AS's favor, they are growing SAN very strongly, while adding service at DTW lately as well. (DTW-PDX will be added later this month.) IMO, DTW to CA -- SFO, LAX, SAN -- is a natural to happen soon.

I would love to see more growth from NK at SAN but I'm not holding my breath.

bb
 
phluser
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:34 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
Throw in seasonal MYR too.

Would that really stop them? They have the same situation up the road in CLE and NK is there.

Not really the same situation as G4 is many times larger at CVG than CLE. However, I think they will eventually come to CVG and it would be a good point to draw passengers from SDF/LEX/IND/DAY/CMH.

CVG’s Florida market is really saturated though, not only with G4 and F9, but DL remains the largest airline on the CVG-Florida market.


What draw would there be from people at SDF/LEX/IND/DAY/CMH to fly NK at CVG, all of those cities have a sizeable LCC presence (CMH at LCK) and all those cities have plenty of options in terms of LCC flights to LAS/Florida and there is hardly any low-cost demand from those cities to DTW, passengers from those airports aren't going to drive hours to get to CVG to get fares they could get flying F9/G4 from their home airport. The only cities that it could maybe draw from would be DAY/LEX but that would only be if it were a large NK operation based in CVG, but you have to remember G4 fills the NK niche very well in most of those cities.

Side note: If NK were to enter the market in CVG, it would be an absolute bloodbath that I would love to see unfold...


It depends on the markets that are linked to CVG. NK is large in DFW and expands from there, and might offer DFW-CVG which is a route where a $39 fare will draw pax that would otherwise be closer to SDF/LEX/IND/DAY/CMH. BUF makes sense with DFW-BUF, as AA doesn't even fly it for some reason. NK has a small station in IAG but it likely serves the Canadian border-Florida traffic. BUF could serve upstate NY better and pax from Rochester would also use it. F9 got in first at BUF, but like CVG, there are likely some routes (like DFW) that Spirit could add.
 
doulasc
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:16 pm

any chance Spirit will start service to CMH
 
toltommy
Posts: 2608
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:04 am

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:12 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
As someone whose closest airport is DAY, I hope you are right, but I am not holding my breath. I am also unconvinced that NK is pursuing a secondary city strategy. Wasn't their last add PIT with LBE down the road?


Or was it CAK with CLE just up the road? LBE has one gate, whereas PIT has plenty of open real estate. NK would never be able to grow their presence in the market if they only served LBE. But what is the long term plan with CAK/CLE? There's plenty of room at either airport to grow a sizeable operation, and CAK has been able to draw fliers to the airport in the FL days. Something has to shake out there.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31
 
MichianaOrthx
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:29 am

Hopefully they will do something about their on-time ratings. Before they add new routes it would behoove them to expand their fleet or rework their existing route network into something more sustainable.

I really do wish them success, the North American market is weak when it comes to ULCCs.
 
santi319
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Re: What's next for Spirit?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:17 am

MichianaOrthx wrote:

I really do wish them success, the North American market is weak when it comes to ULCCs.



And you wonder why? Scroll up, people are still in the "they charge for everything i hate them wheres my flatbed seat and three course meals for my $20 ticket" mood. America has a lot to catch up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos