Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PlanesNTrains

Re: Washington State air service discussion

Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:56 am

dc10lover wrote:
I would LOVE to see Spokane have more non - stops to more Cities. Maybe bring back non - stop to Atlanta via Delta. What about service to Vancouver, BC on Air Canada for International Flights as an alternative to Seattle. I guess this has not affected demand on Alaska on their Seattle / Portland routes?

Frontier flew that and it didn't last. Of course, that was back in the 70's so........

dc10lover

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:22 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:

And Pasco just enlarged the terminal area this last January. I bet Spokane International Airport is getting a lot of people from the Tri - Cities area.

cruisezone

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:32 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:

Actually PSC enplanements through May are up 0.47% YTD to 145,196. The numbers aren't posted yet for June, but the Director of Airports reported that through June, enplanements YTD are now up 1%. Unlike GEG, they only report total enplanements, not both enplaned and deplaned. Total available seats are down 7%. January and February saw decreases in enplanements due to cancellations from the continuing snow in the Tri-Cities. And I expect the QX cancellations will probably have an impact on the summer months, as 17 inbound and 18 outbound QX flights had been cancelled through July 28. http://www.flytricities.com/assets/docs/weekly-report/Airport-Statistics-May-2017.pdf

HPRamper

Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:24 pm

dc10lover wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:

And Pasco just enlarged the terminal area this last January. I bet Spokane International Airport is getting a lot of people from the Tri - Cities area.

Or, since the Tri-Cities area has a sizable ethnic Mexican and migrant agricultural worker population, the Trump factor has had an effect. I've heard of this happening in other markets and PSC seems an obvious addition to the list.

dc10lover

Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:55 pm

What about JetBlue Long Beach to Spokane?

BoeingGuy

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:12 pm

I've been off grid for 10 days. What's this about UA announcing service to PAE? Did I read that correctly in one of the posts? Where is the announcement?

BTW, in regards to the post about UA "starting" SFO-GEG this year, I'm pretty sure they flew that route for many years with a 727. UA also flew PDX-GEG, but not SEA-GEG back in the regulation days.

I also don't recall that DL has ever done GEG-ATL. They have done BOI-ATL in the past though.

dc10lover

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:46 am

[quote="BoeingGuy"]I've been off grid for 10 days. What's this about UA announcing service to PAE? Did I read that correctly in one of the posts? Where is the announcement?

BTW, in regards to the post about UA "starting" SFO-GEG this year, I'm pretty sure they flew that route for many years with a 727. UA also flew PDX-GEG, but not SEA-GEG back in the regulation days.

I also don't recall that DL has ever done GEG-ATL. They have done BOI-ATL in the past though.[/
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/f ... ontent=amp

BoeingGuy

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:57 am

Did GEG-ATL actually start? DL announced FAT-ATL too and never started it.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:01 pm

dc10lover wrote:
What about JetBlue Long Beach to Spokane?

Maybe. I think DEN, HOU, or ORD would be more likely from B6. If GEG wants service from a secondary LA airport, SNA looks more possible however.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:56 am

Looks like DL is flying more A319 aircraft out of SEA. In the schedule for this month and September. I've seen it going to SFO, FAI, AUS, ORD, and BNA recently. Nice to see more variety at SEA!

iamlucky13

Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:11 am

dc10lover wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
I've been off grid for 10 days. What's this about UA announcing service to PAE? Did I read that correctly in one of the posts? Where is the announcement?

That is correct. The dedicated thread is here. There's several links within:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1370899

PAE-SFO and PAE-DEN

flyinggoat

Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:52 am

As somebody who lives well north of Seattle, the PAE-DEN flights sound fantastic. I will gladly take an extra stop on transcon flights if it means I can avoid the mess and drive to SEA.

A Delta BLI-ATL flight would be even better, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

On a somewhat related note, anybody know what a AA A332 was doing at PAE on Tuesday? FlightAware said it came from PHL.

n7371f

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:04 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
Did GEG-ATL actually start? DL announced FAT-ATL too and never started it.

DL did fly it 3 summers ago as a Saturday only with a 319. It lasted just that summer.

5 years ago, DL loaded a daily GEG-ATL with a 738 for summer months only to pull it a few days later.

n7371f

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:05 am

717atOGG wrote:
Looks like DL is flying more A319 aircraft out of SEA. In the schedule for this month and September. I've seen it going to SFO, FAI, AUS, ORD, and BNA recently. Nice to see more variety at SEA!

And the 319's all are reconfigured now and have 2KU GoGo installed with personal TV. Flown them a handful of times to ORD. Nice birds.

jonair8

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:31 am

Seems like Delta is using the A319 in SEA for the same purpose the C Series will one day serve, once it can make it over. The SFO shuttle is being up gauged to a mix of mainline (319, 717, 73H) and a couple of E75s/E7Ws, over the former schedule of all SkyWest E7Ws. FAI used to be a Compass route that constantly was full of cargo and passengers, to the point where it sometimes had to take a payload restriction. That route will do well on an A319. AUS, ORD, and BNA are all brand new routes this summer, so these one day may see an A320 or a 73H. Latest report that came out is that Delta is indeed gaining in SEA at the expense of Alaska.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... olume.html

(Need a subscription to read)

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Today's the inaugural flight for AS/VX from SEA to DAL, and F appears to be sold out on the E175, with 1 seat open in Y, and the VX A319 has 5 seats open in F and 3 in Y. Strong start for the route!

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:30 pm

jonair8 wrote:
Seems like Delta is using the A319 in SEA for the same purpose the C Series will one day serve, once it can make it over. The SFO shuttle is being up gauged to a mix of mainline (319, 717, 73H) and a couple of E75s/E7Ws, over the former schedule of all SkyWest E7Ws. FAI used to be a Compass route that constantly was full of cargo and passengers, to the point where it sometimes had to take a payload restriction. That route will do well on an A319. AUS, ORD, and BNA are all brand new routes this summer, so these one day may see an A320 or a 73H. Latest report that came out is that Delta is indeed gaining in SEA at the expense of Alaska.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... olume.html

(Need a subscription to read)

I was thinking the same thing about the A319. They're probably depreciated, efficient, and have a good pax capacity. Good starter a/c for routes. I don't know what AS will do about losing some market share in SEA. Either tough it out, or cut a few flights here and there in saturated markets. Either way, interesting to think of Alaska's next move.

NZ321

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:26 pm

I'd like to see an analysis of how Kenmore is going out of Lake Union and Lake Washington. Are they growing? Certainly has to be the smoothest entry into the US of A that I have ever had and I have done it 3 times and every time it has worked a treat.

MaxTrimm

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:02 pm

Spirit is dropping LAX-SEA in Winter.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:20 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:
Spirit is dropping LAX-SEA in Winter.

I heard. I said in the OAG thread for it that AA entering the market probably made the competition too much for NK. I don't think that they'll want to enter SEA-OAK, because SEA-SFO/OAK is currently at about 38 daily flights, so if they can't make LAX work, I'm more doubtful about OAK.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Anyone know if SEA or GEG got some love in today's schedule release for WN?

717atOGG
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:08 am

I'm just spitballing here, but could AS consider adding Sat-only LGA-SEA service? WN is trying out LGA-SAT/PHX, and the NYC market from SEA is very large. It could be a redeye or daytime flight, that could take leisure travelers that are more inclined to fly on weekends, with the benefit of being closer to downtown. What do you think about this idea?

dc10lover

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:50 pm

717atOGG wrote:

Spokane to San Jose. Hope it does well.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:07 am

dc10lover wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

Maybe. Connections could help it survive, although 143 seats almost seems like too much for the route.

dc10lover

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 am

Since Southwest likes serving Capital Cities why not Olympia, Wa to California.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:14 am

I heard a rumor about SEA gates after the IAF is completed in the Delta gates thread. Supposedly, in 2019, WN, UA, NK, B6, and F9 will move to S (maybe Sun Country as well, as they didn't mention them?) and Delta moves out of S. Here's basically how it would look:
A: DL
B: DL
C: AS
D: AA, AS
N: AS
S: International airlines+WN, UA, NK, F9, B6, SY
I think this could happen, personally. I don't know how it'll affect gate congestion, but at least it organizes the airlines more, without upsetting AS, and gives DL room to expand.

dc10lover

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:27 am

717atOGG wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

j
Maybe. Connections could help it survive, although 143 seats almost seems like too much for the route.

Remember a lot of people from the Tri - cities drive to Spokane & fly out..

gunsontheroof

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:49 am

dc10lover wrote:

OLM doesn't have anything resembling a terminal. It had some oddball regional services decades ago, but it's a non-starter. Heck, there are a some days where it's probably faster to get to PDX than SEA if you live around there...

HPRamper

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:05 am

gunsontheroof wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

OLM doesn't have anything resembling a terminal. It had some oddball regional services decades ago, but it's a non-starter. Heck, there are a some days where it's probably faster to get to PDX than SEA if you live around there...

That is not an exaggeration. It's maybe an hour and a half from Olympia to Portland unless you hit congestion in Centralia. It can take longer than that just to get from Tacoma to Sea-Tac. Two-plus hours from Olympia to SEA is not uncommon at all.

iamlucky13

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:28 am

HPRamper wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

That is not an exaggeration. It's maybe an hour and a half from Olympia to Portland unless you hit congestion in Centralia. It can take longer than that just to get from Tacoma to Sea-Tac. Two-plus hours from Olympia to SEA is not uncommon at all.

If you're trying to catch a flight on a Sunday evening when everyone is returning from their weekends, two hours would be miraculously fast.

I do occasionally wonder if a serious Olympia terminal proposal may come up once Paine Field has a chance to demonstrate if an alternative market to SEA can be sustained on the other side of town.

But it's not going to happen merely as a matter of wanting to serve a city of only 50,000 people simply because it's the state capital. It would happen on the basis of the profit potential of providing an alternative for south Tacoma, JBLM, Puyallup, and the rural counties to the south and west. Altogether, we're talking about as much as 20 times as many people as live in Olympia alone that might benefit from such an airport.

Passedv1

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:29 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:

If you're trying to catch a flight on a Sunday evening when everyone is returning from their weekends, two hours would be miraculously fast.

I do occasionally wonder if a serious Olympia terminal proposal may come up once Paine Field has a chance to demonstrate if an alternative market to SEA can be sustained on the other side of town.

But it's not going to happen merely as a matter of wanting to serve a city of only 50,000 people simply because it's the state capital. It would happen on the basis of the profit potential of providing an alternative for south Tacoma, JBLM, Puyallup, and the rural counties to the south and west. Altogether, we're talking about as much as 20 times as many people as live in Olympia alone that might benefit from such an airport.

Olympia area (Oly, Tumwater, Lacey) has 150k+ people. There would also be a large draw from out towards the coast (Aberdeen, Hoquium), South -Centralia/Chehalis, and North-Lakewood/Tacoma.

I think the area could easily support a BLI/PAE sized operation.

HPRamper

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:31 am

Passedv1 wrote:

I think the area could easily support a BLI/PAE sized operation.

An airport project there would probably also have the support of the state legislature across the board and there are a lot fewer rich NIMBYs in the area than up in Mukilteo.

wedgetail737

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:33 pm

717atOGG wrote:
I heard a rumor about SEA gates after the IAF is completed in the Delta gates thread. Supposedly, in 2019, WN, UA, NK, B6, and F9 will move to S (maybe Sun Country as well, as they didn't mention them?) and Delta moves out of S. Here's basically how it would look:
A: DL
B: DL
C: AS
D: AA, AS
N: AS
S: International airlines+WN, UA, NK, F9, B6, SY
I think this could happen, personally. I don't know how it'll affect gate congestion, but at least it organizes the airlines more, without upsetting AS, and gives DL room to expand.

I would agree with pretty much anything here except I don't think WN will move out of B. The Port is going to want to try and attract as many international carriers as possible. Moving WN from B to S would put a major dent in that plan.

If UA moves to the S-gates, then I'm sure AC will do the same.

Lastly, when the N-concourse expansion is complete, there could be a possibility that AS could leave a couple of gates in D concourse for B6, NK and others...but just a possibility.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:02 pm

Commuter type rail service from Olympia is close to being in the books. At this point Lakewood south of Tacoma is scheduled. The link from Tukwila to the airport needs improvements. A van or bus should be meeting the trains and go direct to the airport. Uber or Lyft could also do this.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:05 am

I don't know why I haven't heard this before, but a temporary hardstand expansion with a hold room near Concourse D is expected to open next summer. Construction is beginning this month with an opening in the spring. The holdroom is between D and the street going to Ticketing, and looks quite modern, albeit small, and is connected by a skybridge to D. It will have 6 hardstand gates a little bit north of N, and is expected to have 12 flights a day, although it can easily accommodate more, and the gates are CUTE. I think it could be a good place to put some of Delta's CRJ/ERJ flights, allowing room for mainline aircraft at A/B/S. Ditto with Alaska's RJs.
Sources:
https://travelcodex.com/sea-tac-will-sp ... ncourse-d/
https://www.theurbanist.org/2017/08/17/ ... ncourse-d/

n7371f

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:12 am

717atOGG wrote:
I don't know why I haven't heard this before, but a temporary hardstand expansion with a hold room near Concourse D is expected to open next summer. Construction is beginning this month with an opening in the spring. The holdroom is between D and the street going to Ticketing, and looks quite modern, albeit small, and is connected by a skybridge to D. It will have 6 hardstand gates a little bit north of N, and is expected to have 12 flights a day, although it can easily accommodate more, and the gates are CUTE. I think it could be a good place to put some of Delta's CRJ/ERJ flights, allowing room for mainline aircraft at A/B/S. Ditto with Alaska's RJs.
Sources:

Not for DL

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:48 pm

n7371f wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
Sources:

Not for DL

Ok. Perhaps just overflow for the domestic airlines then.

BA

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:27 pm

n7371f wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
Sources:

Not for DL

DL will be using the hardstand gates being setup on Concourse B.
http://www.portseattle.org/ABOUT/COMMIS ... i_supp.pdf

dc10lover

Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Seems like no matter what, just keep building. It's better to have a airport that is a little large than too small (according to demand)

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:02 pm

BA wrote:
n7371f wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
Sources:

Not for DL

Hmm. That block of gates at the end of B is usually occupied by WN. Do you know how many hardstands will be at the facility? Or if there will be some renovations to B itself? The concourse looks kinda dated, with low ceilings. Some better lighting and higher ceilings might help the look of the concourse. Kinda like how A looks.

wedgetail737

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:09 pm

BA wrote:
n7371f wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
Sources:

Not for DL

It looks very similar to the hardstand walkway from the C-concourse.

jonair8

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:40 am

Speaking of the addition of the hardstand walkway being built on the B gates that will be similar in fashion to the C gates at SEA, does anyone have any insight about the addition of gates A20 and A21 that already has counters by gate A13?

BA

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:49 am

717atOGG wrote:
BA wrote:
n7371f wrote:

Not for DL

Hmm. That block of gates at the end of B is usually occupied by WN. Do you know how many hardstands will be at the facility? Or if there will be some renovations to B itself? The concourse looks kinda dated, with low ceilings. Some better lighting and higher ceilings might help the look of the concourse. Kinda like how A looks.

I just flew out of Sea-Tac on Monday and we taxied by these gates, the walkway was sandwiched by two DL planes, so the gates are definitely used by Delta.

The hardstands themselves are by the Alaska maintenance hangar and on the north side by the control tower.
wedgetail737 wrote:
BA wrote:
n7371f wrote:

Not for DL

Yes similar, except these will be used to board a bus.

jonair8 wrote:
Speaking of the addition of the hardstand walkway being built on the B gates that will be similar in fashion to the C gates at SEA, does anyone have any insight about the addition of gates A20 and A21 that already has counters by gate A13?

I believe these are to replace the former hardstand walkway on gate A6 which has now closed down (along with gate A7) for the construction of the first podium and international gates as part of the IAF construction.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:37 am

BA wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
BA wrote:

I just flew out of Sea-Tac on Monday and we taxied by these gates, the walkway was sandwiched by two DL planes, so the gates are definitely used by Delta.

The hardstands themselves are by the Alaska maintenance hangar and on the north side by the control tower.
wedgetail737 wrote:
BA wrote:

Yes similar, except these will be used to board a bus.

jonair8 wrote:

I believe these are to replace the former hardstand walkway on gate A6 which has now closed down (along with gate A7) for the construction of the first podium and international gates as part of the IAF construction.

Ok, thanks for the correction, as I thought they were exclusive to WN and the occasional F9 flight. If the two gates on A are temporary, then why name them 20 and 21? Logic dictates that the two gates would be numbered 14 and 15.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:45 am

AS SEA-BOI OCT 8>7
AS SEA-GEG OCT 15>10
AS SEA-PDX OCT 24>23
AS SEA-RNO OCT 4>3
AS SEA-SFO OCT 11>10
AS SEA-YEG OCT 3>2
AS SEA-YYC OCT 3>2
]
Small cuts to some Alaska flights, presumably QX flights, given the short lead time. For example, the lost frequency on SFO is the sole QX flight on the route. I hope that AS can get the Horizon issues fixed, because the reputation of QX could push some Alaska flyers over to DL. (Not taking sides in the AS vs DL fight, just stating facts.)

717atOGG
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:06 am

Two noteworthy things that I found on DL's holiday schedule from SEA.
-DL is using an A333 on SEA-HNL. Interesting that there's so much capacity on this route during peak periods.
-DL is twice-daily on SEA-MCO, and it seems to be running for longer this year compared to last. By W18 I'd expect this route to be year-round.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:57 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Commuter type rail service from Olympia is close to being in the books. At this point Lakewood south of Tacoma is scheduled. The link from Tukwila to the airport needs improvements. A van or bus should be meeting the trains and go direct to the airport. Uber or Lyft could also do this.

I'm still amazed that Link doesn't swing over to the Amtrak/Sounder platform in Tukwila, or anywhere near Southcenter for that matter. Does someone really want to drive to a Sounder station, then board a Sounder and ride to Tukwila, then wait for a van that is going to have to fight on the freeway up to the airport in all the traffic/congestion? If they could cross-platform transfer between Sounder and Link in Tukwila, it'd be a whole different scenario.

dc10lover

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:46 am

Skywest CRJ 200 working for Alaska Airlines.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SKW3498

MaxTrimm

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:21 am

Is the awful smoke from the fires causing any flight disruptions? It's getting worse every day here in the Tri-Cities and I can't imagine Yakima or Wenatchee.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:43 am

MaxTrimm wrote:
Is the awful smoke from the fires causing any flight disruptions? It's getting worse every day here in the Tri-Cities and I can't imagine Yakima or Wenatchee.

I don't think that it's causing delays, even though the smoke is currently clearing up. The smoke is higher than it was in early August, which did delay ops at SEA, so visibility isn't an issue, and ash isn't an issue because it doesn't harm the engines unless the ash is volcanic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos