Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

717atOGG
Topic Author

Washington State air service discussion 2017

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:37 am

I've been seeing a lot of threads about SEA and just Washington State in general lately, so I thought it could be in one thread.
First of all, here's a recap of some air service that SEA is gaining soon.
-LGW on D8
-MAN on MT-seasonal???
-MFR, LIH, and MSY on DL
-CVG on F9
-AS mainline to SBA
And here's what we're losing.
-MUC on DE
-CLE on F9
Anyways, is there any routes that WA could gain or lose? Any news on expansion plans at SEA? Anything else? Just post it here.
Last edited by qf789 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added year into title

AntonioMartin

Re: Washington State air service discussion

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:19 am

Seattle-Manchester on Thomas Cook? Is there that much VFR, business or vacation interest between both cities?

Also don't forget, MEX on AM in November

When is Condor dropping Munich?

User001

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:36 am

Seattle Manchester will be 2 weekly summer seasonal. There will be enough vacation traffic at the very least to sustain that route. Also, could attract some VFR as an alternate to YVR if the families live closer to the US border. Air Transat offers MAN-YVR on Mon/Wed/Fri, so with MT offering Thu/Sun flights, it means alternate days to get to this area.

FLYKTPA

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:20 pm

717atOGG wrote:
I've been seeing a lot of threads about SEA and just Washington State in general lately, so I thought it could be in one thread.
First of all, here's a recap of some air service that SEA is gaining soon.
-LGW on D8
-MAN on MT-seasonal???
-MFR, LIH, and MSY on DL
-CVG on F9
-AS mainline to SBA
And here's what we're losing.
-MUC on DE
-CLE on F9
Anyways, is there any routes that WA could gain or lose? Any news on expansion plans at SEA? Anything else? Just post it here.

SEA isn't loosing CLE service on F9. The route has always been seasonal. Operating during the Summer.

jplatts

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Will Delta be reviving nonstop service to DFW from SEA? Delta used to serve DFW nonstop from SEA back when Delta had a hub at DFW, but Delta could bring back nonstop service to DFW from SEA since Delta has a hub in SEA and since Delta has been recently expanding to additional destinations from SEA.

wedgetail737

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:49 pm

Don't forget also that Norwegian will be starting SEA-LGW in September. I knoiw this is not much of a capacity upgrade, but I'm waiting for SEA-STS to go E-175. I'm hoping that with Q400's being replaced with E-175's on longer routes, the Q400s will open more opportunities along the west coast.

BA

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:51 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:

There's no formal announcement that they're dropping MUC-SEA specifically. It is summer seasonal and this was it's first run, however, it's been mentioned on here that Condor is ending all long-haul services from Munich and consolidating in Frankfurt.

So to answer your question, it will finish it's summer season run, and likely not return next year.

jplatts

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:55 pm

I could see Spirit adding nonstop service to DFW and ORD from SEA since Spirit has a significant presence at both DFW and ORD.

F9Animal

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:15 pm

jplatts wrote:
I could see Spirit adding nonstop service to DFW and ORD from SEA since Spirit has a significant presence at both DFW and ORD.

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen within a year. In fact, I am surprised it hasn't happened already.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:45 pm

jplatts wrote:

DFW seems like a possibility since there's only AS, AA, and WN to DAL on the route. ORD doesn't seem likely though since that market was crowded. A year ago, AA, WN, UA, and AS had 21 daily total flights, and F9 tried the route last year, but it didn't work. From what I see, though, DL seems to be doing great on their month-old SEA-ORD service, so you never know. Maybe ORD could work, but I think that DFW would be more likely.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:49 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
Seattle-Manchester on Thomas Cook? Is there that much VFR, business or vacation interest between both cities?

Also don't forget, MEX on AM in November

The same thing could be said about SEA-CGN. It's summer seasonal, and it doesn't seem like it'd draw many passengers. Hopefully travelers going to DUS could save it, and maybe if AB shuts down, the route could move to DUS and have a better chance. On that note of long, thin routes, does anybody know how SEA-SZX is doing? It's been around for 10 months, and I think that like CGN, draw from HKG could save the route.

SeaDoo

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:37 pm

-AS mainline to SBA

I didn't know that. Is that due to demand, problems with QX, or some other reason? Is that a permanent, seasonal or temporary change?

Thanks in advance.

AntonioMartin

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:18 am

BA wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:

There's no formal announcement that they're dropping MUC-SEA specifically. It is summer seasonal and this was it's first run, however, it's been mentioned on here that Condor is ending all long-haul services from Munich and consolidating in Frankfurt.

So to answer your question, it will finish it's summer season run, and likely not return next year.

:bigthumbsup:

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:24 am

SeaDoo wrote:
-AS mainline to SBA

I didn't know that. Is that due to demand, problems with QX, or some other reason? Is that a permanent, seasonal or temporary change?

Thanks in advance.

Probably due to demand. And you're welcome.

wedgetail737

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:33 am

717atOGG wrote:
SeaDoo wrote:
-AS mainline to SBA

Thanks in advance.

It starts in the Fall with a 737-800. It's already loaded on the AS reservations.

jonair8

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:44 am

717atOGG wrote:
SeaDoo wrote:
-AS mainline to SBA

Thanks in advance.

Was a SkyWest-operated flight and went mainline due to high load factors. Initially was planned to be a 73G, and now is a 73H. Many of the OO-operated E75 routes from SEA (SBP, BOI, ICT, MKE, COS, OKC) are being swapped over to QX's E75 (in theory) so OO can start up new routes like SEA-DAL-LGA for AS. Only current AS/OO routes planned to be continuing for now are SEA-FAT and SLC, along with the addition of DAL. AS/OO just announced an additional 5 E75s for 2018, so we will see where they end up. Despite the transfer of routes to QX, OO still fills in on those same routes because of QX's staffing shortage.

jplatts

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:02 am

Southwest could possibly add nonstop service to LAX from SEA since LAX is one of the top destinations from SEA and since SEA is one of the top destinations from LAX. In addition, Seattle is one of the few cities in the contiguous U.S. that currently see nonstop service out of LAX on at least 6 different airlines, along with Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Las Vegas, and Washington, D.C, but the other cities in the contiguous U.S. that currently see nonstop service out of LAX on 6 or more airlines have nonstop service out of LAX on Southwest.

Southwest is already maxed out at LAX while Terminal 1 is being renovated at LAX, but Southwest will have room to add extra flights out of LAX after Terminal 1 renovations are completed.

Would Southwest add nonstop service to LAX from SEA prior to the discontinuation of the Virgin America brand, or would Southwest wait until the Virgin America brand is discontinued before beginning service to LAX from SEA?

jetero

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:10 am

jplatts wrote:
Southwest could possibly add nonstop service to LAX from SEA since LAX is one of the top destinations from SEA and since SEA is one of the top destinations from LAX. In addition, Seattle is one of the few cities in the contiguous U.S. that currently see nonstop service out of LAX on at least 6 different airlines, along with Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Las Vegas, and Washington, D.C, but the other cities in the contiguous U.S. that currently see nonstop service out of LAX on 6 or more airlines have nonstop service out of LAX on Southwest.

Southwest is already maxed out at LAX while Terminal 1 is being renovated at LAX, but Southwest will have room to add extra flights out of LAX after Terminal 1 renovations are completed.

Would Southwest add nonstop service to LAX from SEA prior to the discontinuation of the Virgin America brand, or would Southwest wait until the Virgin America brand is discontinued before beginning service to LAX from SEA?

Could Southwest end all service at LAX and move it to PMD?

PMD is an airport. And it has runways. Planes need runways. Nobody else flies to PMD. If Southwest flew to PMD, they would be the only airline, so they would have a monopoly.

If Southwest flew to PMD, could they add service to PVD? No airline flies from LAX to PVD, but there is significant demand from PVD to LAX. People would prefer to fly to PMD since the airport codes are similar.

Will Southwest add service from PMD to PVD?

jplatts

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:30 am

jetero wrote:

No, Southwest couldn't end all service at LAX and move it to PMD. Southwest also serves BUR, LGB, ONT, and SNA, all of which are closer to downtown Los Angeles than PMD is. Southwest Airlines has been at LAX for almost 35 years, and Southwest is committed to continue serving LAX. There is significant demand for Southwest Airlines flights to LAX as there are over 9.4 million passengers who travel to and from LAX per year on Southwest Airlines. In fact, Southwest has grown at LAX from 6.9 million deplaning and arriving passengers per year in 2007 to 9.4 million deplaning and arriving passengers per year in 2016, and Southwest is still growing at LAX.

wedgetail737

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:40 am

jonair8 wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
SeaDoo wrote:
-AS mainline to SBA

Thanks in advance.

Was a SkyWest-operated flight and went mainline due to high load factors. Initially was planned to be a 73G, and now is a 73H. Many of the OO-operated E75 routes from SEA (SBP, BOI, ICT, MKE, COS, OKC) are being swapped over to QX's E75 (in theory) so OO can start up new routes like SEA-DAL-LGA for AS. Only current AS/OO routes planned to be continuing for now are SEA-FAT and SLC, along with the addition of DAL. AS/OO just announced an additional 5 E75s for 2018, so we will see where they end up. Despite the transfer of routes to QX, OO still fills in on those same routes because of QX's staffing shortage.

If the demand to SBA continues to be high, a 2nd flight operated with an E-175 could be very possible. The E-175's have a lot of opportunities with the growth of AS.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:16 am

jplatts wrote:

This is one of the better questions I've seen you ask. SEA has near-shuttle service to LAX from AS and DL. The other airlines are pretty much also-rans, with AA having a few flights a day, UA hanging on by a thread, and NK offering twice-daily flights. The market seems pretty saturated already, and yields seem low ($140 RT three weeks out on AS isn't uncommon), so I don't think that WN would add it. Does anyone think that with the 30 new markets announcement for AS that they could add GEG-California? There is obviously demand, and it seems like a hole in their network, but I think it's possible that they'd want to flow that traffic through SEA and PDX. Does anyone have opinions on this?

717atOGG
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:10 pm

We know that there's delays at SEA, but could there be worse smoke delays at BLI or GEG since GEG is warmer in the summer and BLI is close to YVR?

mtnwest1979

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:56 pm

jetero wrote:
jplatts wrote:

PMD is an airport. And it has runways. Planes need runways. Nobody else flies to PMD. If Southwest flew to PMD, they would be the only airline, so they would have a monopoly.

If Southwest flew to PMD, could they add service to PVD? No airline flies from LAX to PVD, but there is significant demand from PVD to LAX. People would prefer to fly to PMD since the airport codes are similar.

Will Southwest add service from PMD to PVD?

LOL I luv this response. :) Made my day up to this point.

However, I would like to see someone do anything out of PMD......

doug_or

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:14 pm

717atOGG wrote:
We know that there's delays at SEA, but could there be worse smoke delays at BLI or GEG since GEG is warmer in the summer and BLI is close to YVR?

What does the heat in GEG or BLI's location have to do with the price of tea in China?

717atOGG
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:25 pm

Also worth noting is that DL has been flying a 763 on the morning SEA-HNL flight. Nice to see larger equipment on domestic SEA flights.

tespai

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:44 pm

FRA-SEA on Condor will be daily from the end of May 2018, replacing the lost MUC frequency.

Eurowings appears to be returning and extending their seasonal schedule from June 18 - September 24.

Last I saw, Delta's SEA-PVG/PEK is going to be daily this winter, which is up from 5x weekly last year. Of course there's plenty of time for that to change.
Ditto for HU's SEA-PEK flight and LH SEA-FRA.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:31 pm

I think that SEA has started using CUTE gates because when I arrived two nights ago in the South Satellite there was a NK flight to BWI departing from the adjacent gate. They were previously only in A when they only flew to LAS and LAX. Also, in the airline terminal map, they didn't list Spirit for any concourse. Also, it lists Xiamen as departing from the A gates, which seems interesting.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:23 pm

I was looking at Alaska's website and it appears that they've eliminated GEG-ANC. I don't know how long it lasted. Can anyone tell me how long it lasted and its load factors? Thanks. I'm also wondering if the FI 763 will continue visiting SEA, as I believe it did a few days a week this summer. Thanks for responding!

dc10lover

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:07 pm

717atOGG wrote:
jplatts wrote:

This is one of the better questions I've seen you ask. SEA has near-shuttle service to LAX from AS and DL. The other airlines are pretty much also-rans, with AA having a few flights a day, UA hanging on by a thread, and NK offering twice-daily flights. The market seems pretty saturated already, and yields seem low ($140 RT three weeks out on AS isn't uncommon), so I don't think that WN would add it. Does anyone think that with the 30 new markets announcement for AS that they could add GEG-California? There is obviously demand, and it seems like a hole in their network, but I think it's possible that they'd want to flow that traffic through SEA and PDX. Does anyone have opinions on this?

To fly Alaska anywhere from Spokane, you have to connect through SEA & PDX. This will not change and you must rely on other airlines for service to California.

tespai

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:23 pm

717atOGG wrote:
I was looking at Alaska's website and it appears that they've eliminated GEG-ANC. I don't know how long it lasted. Can anyone tell me how long it lasted and its load factors? Thanks. I'm also wondering if the FI 763 will continue visiting SEA, as I believe it did a few days a week this summer. Thanks for responding!

They will indeed, FI's W17 schedule sees KEF-SEA daily: 3x weekly 763, 4x weekly 752
S18 is currently 12x weekly all 752, but I bet that changes.

BoeingGuy

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:25 pm

dc10lover wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
jplatts wrote:

To fly Alaska anywhere from Spokane, you have to connect through SEA & PDX. This will not change and you must rely on other airlines for service to California.

How do you know that will not change? As noted, AS did ANC-GEG one day a week last summer. They've done LAX-GEG, SAN-GEG, and SJC-GEG. With the VX merger and AS's desire to have a bigger presence in California, my guess is your statement "will not change" is incorrect.

Chugach

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:30 pm

717atOGG wrote:

GEG-ANC was around for one season, and only 1X weekly. No idea on loads but you can figure that out with BTS.

Not surprised it didn't come back. AS needs all the mainline aircraft it can get between the new California love affair and Horizon's operational bedwetting this year.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:56 pm

tespai wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

They will indeed, FI's W17 schedule sees KEF-SEA daily: 3x weekly 763, 4x weekly 752
S18 is currently 12x weekly all 752, but I bet that changes.

Thank you. Does anyone know the BTS site hyperlink? I had it bookmarked, but deleted it.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:02 pm

In the style of a certain A.net user, but an actual serious question, will AA add service from PSC to ORD? PSC has no service on AA, and it has service to MSP on DL, so it has demand to the Midwest. PSC-ORD is within the range of an E-175, and it could be a competitor to UA on GEG-ORD. Plus, the Tri-Cities area has a greater metro population than MSO, BZN, or BIL, all of which have service to ORD. Given the Midwest demand, being within range of an RJ, and giving AA a greater presence in Eastern Washington, would AA add PSC service to ORD?

BoeingGuy

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:30 pm

717atOGG wrote:
In the style of a certain A.net user, but an actual serious question, will AA add service from PSC to ORD? PSC has no service on AA, and it has service to MSP on DL, so it has demand to the Midwest. PSC-ORD is within the range of an E-175, and it could be a competitor to UA on GEG-ORD. Plus, the Tri-Cities area has a greater metro population than MSO, BZN, or BIL, all of which have service to ORD. Given the Midwest demand, being within range of an RJ, and giving AA a greater presence in Eastern Washington, would AA add PSC service to ORD?

PSC to ORD is a reasonable suggestion. However, your comparison may be skewed. Remember that MSO, BZN, and BIL probably attract a lot more tourist traffic than PSC would. Hasn't PSC even had trouble supporting SFO service?

717atOGG
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:07 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

PSC to ORD is a reasonable suggestion. However, your comparison may be skewed. Remember that MSO, BZN, and BIL probably attract a lot more tourist traffic than PSC would. Hasn't PSC even had trouble supporting SFO service?

I know that Montana has some tourist traffic, but I didn't really consider that. Thanks for bringing that up. However, PSC-SFO is year-round now, and the Tri-Cities area is growing. Even though PSC doesn't have skiing traffic, I think that at the very least a summer seasonal PSC-ORD still could work on an E175, mainly for the PSC customers, and maybe some leakage from GEG.
Source for PSC area growing:
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... osted.html

QXFLYINGCOUG

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:20 am

EAT is still trying to land service to SFO. I think this is kind of a way out there thing, but it would be great for people that go to the Bay Area for tech jobs. We have a lot of them around the Wenatchee Valley and Columbia Basin now!

717atOGG
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:49 am

QXFLYINGCOUG wrote:
EAT is still trying to land service to SFO. I think this is kind of a way out there thing, but it would be great for people that go to the Bay Area for tech jobs. We have a lot of them around the Wenatchee Valley and Columbia Basin now!

I can see that happening. There's 3 daily SEA-EAT flights, and it's not too impossible to imagine that some of those 228 seats are connecting to the Bay Area. EAT-SFO seems like a perfect match for a UAX CR2. What do other people think about this? Would there be any subsidies in place that EAT can give?

n7371f

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:54 am

717atOGG wrote:
I think that SEA has started using CUTE gates because when I arrived two nights ago in the South Satellite there was a NK flight to BWI departing from the adjacent gate. They were previously only in A when they only flew to LAS and LAX. Also, in the airline terminal map, they didn't list Spirit for any concourse. Also, it lists Xiamen as departing from the A gates, which seems interesting.

Xiamen has departed from the end of A for a long time, if not since service inaugurated.

n7371f

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:56 am

jplatts wrote:
Will Delta be reviving nonstop service to DFW from SEA? Delta used to serve DFW nonstop from SEA back when Delta had a hub at DFW, but Delta could bring back nonstop service to DFW from SEA since Delta has a hub in SEA and since Delta has been recently expanding to additional destinations from SEA.

It's coming. Likely by next summer.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:17 am

n7371f wrote:
jplatts wrote:

It's coming. Likely by next summer.

I'm intrigued. Do you have a source for this?

717atOGG
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Since UA just announced PAE-SFO and DEN, does anyone have any guesses to which routes AS will add from PAE? And since it's a two gate terminal, does that rule out the possibility of a third airline at PAE? My guess is probably.

dc10lover

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:44 pm

717atOGG wrote:

PSC wants non stop to LAX . Chicago will not happen. People will take a short drive to Spokane to fly to Chicago.

dc10lover

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:51 pm

717atOGG wrote:
QXFLYINGCOUG wrote:

I can see that happening. There's 3 daily SEA-EAT flights, and it's not too impossible to imagine that some of those 228 seats are connecting to the Bay Area. EAT-SFO seems like a perfect match for a UAX CR2. What do other people think about this? Would there be any subsidies in place that EAT can give?

Service is suppose to start Spring 2018.
https://www.flywenatchee.com/bay-area-flight/

717atOGG
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:00 pm

dc10lover wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
QXFLYINGCOUG wrote:

They show a UAX E175 and a AS/OO E175. Maybe a foreshadowing of the equipment used? AS could be a contender for EAT-SFO, and it would help its California focus.

7BOEING7

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:08 pm

717atOGG wrote:
Since UA just announced PAE-SFO and DEN, does anyone have any guesses to which routes AS will add from PAE? And since it's a two gate terminal, does that rule out the possibility of a third airline at PAE? My guess is probably.

I could see AS flying to PHX, SNA, SAN, LAS, SJC and maybe HNL.Since AS and UA would have a total of 18 daily flights there are still 4 slots available -- 22 being the maximum allowable at this time.

tespai

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:22 pm

717atOGG wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

They show a UAX E175 and a AS/OO E175. Maybe a foreshadowing of the equipment used? AS could be a contender for EAT-SFO, and it would help its California focus.

I was going to say I highly doubt SFO-EAT service, but perhaps 400k is enough to get a daily or double daily CR2 on UA. I don't think AS/QX would do anything but add a 4th SEA roundtrip.

As for AS PAE flights:

4x PDX
3x SFO
2x LAX
2x GEG
1x PHX
1x LAS
1x HNL or 4x weekly HNL/ 3x weekly OGG

dc10lover

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:42 pm

717atOGG wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

What? I doubt tickets are bookable yet. Do you have a link? Thanks

717atOGG
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:00 pm

dc10lover wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

What? I doubt tickets are bookable yet. Do you have a link? Thanks

It hasn't been confirmed, it's just likely to happen.

BA

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:28 pm

717atOGG wrote:

For AS, all they've said is Oregon and California, so I only see PAE-LAX, PAE-SFO, and PAE-PDX. Since they've said 9 daily flights, it might just be 3 flights to each or something close to that.

You're right that with United in the picture, PAE is up to 15 flights a day. With the two gates, it's designed for 16 flights. I wouldn't be surprised if Alaska snatches the last flight and commits to 10, maybe to do PAE-LAS.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos