Topic Author

Antonov to be liquidated

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:55 am

Remains to be seen what fate will await the An-124 and An-225

http://www.wingsnews.org/goodbye-antonov-the-end/

Dutchy

Re: Antonov to be liquidated

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:12 am

Is there a good independent source of this?

Jayafe

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:09 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
Remains to be seen what fate will await the An-124 and An-225

http://www.wingsnews.org/goodbye-antonov-the-end/

Chinese would like to buy the planes at almost whatever the price is

atcsundevil

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Most of the An-124s operate with Volga-Dnepr Airlines, so they wouldn't be affected. For the few An-124s and the single An-225 operated by Antonov, I'm sure their assets will be bought and will continue to operate. If true, it is a sad thing to see. I've honestly never been all that interested in Russian/Soviet aircraft history, but Antonov is nonetheless a major component of that history. Like many former Soviet/Soviet Bloc companies, they simply struggled to make it in a post-USSR world. The dominance of western manufacturers took over in all of their traditional territories. The fact that they survived this long is actually quite staggering.

Heavierthanair

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:35 pm

G'day

Statement by Antonov

http://www.antonov.com/news/520

quote:
We would wish to assure you that ANTONOV State COMPANY continues to do business as normal
unquote:

So the An 124 and 225 amongst others are here to stay :bigthumbsup:

Cheers

Peter

eamondzhang

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:50 pm

From the statement posted by Heavirthanair, It looks like the Antonov parent company was dissolved and its subsidiaries (read: manufacturer, designer and the transportation arm) was transferred to Ukraine Defence Company.

Certainly confusing if you ask me, I have to read the statement four times especially due to the complex company name.... (Not trying to offend anyone, but since when in hell does "state concern" means a type of company...)

Cheers
Michael

smithbs

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:09 pm

If I read the Antonov press release correctly, in reality the two production plants and design bureau are still in operation but now under UKROBORONPROM. The press release makes it sound like it's more of a corporate structure clean-up instead of an actual cease-operation deal.

My guess: the useful parts of the "Antonov State Concern" were transferred to a new entity (UKROBORONPROM) and the "liquidation" of Antonov is the write-off the left-overs.

zeke

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:40 pm

I thought Antonov had two parts, part in Russia and part in Ukraine. Does this mean the part in Russia will cease to exist ?

PatrickZ80

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:04 pm

zeke wrote:
I thought Antonov had two parts, part in Russia and part in Ukraine. Does this mean the part in Russia will cease to exist ?

There was never a Russian part, only an Ukrainian part.

If I read things right, they're going from a state company to a market company. The Ukrainian state will no longer financially support Antonov.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:43 pm

The word 'concern' will frequently be used in the sense of 'company' in the US. I don't know if this is true in other English speaking countries.

SCAT15F

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Antonov was formed in Russia in 1946 and moved its headquarters/operations from Novosibirsk to Kiev in 1952, so historically, its a Russian company and the original chief designers were Russian, including Oleg Antonov.

VolvoBus

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:47 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
The word 'concern' will frequently be used in the sense of 'company' in the US. I don't know if this is true in other English speaking countries.

Often used in UK, certainly in company accounts which are normally prepared on a 'going concern' basis - an assumption that the business will continue.

My understanding would be that a 'State Concern' is equivalent to a State holding company,which does not actually produce anything. Antonov's operating divisions have been transferred to another 'State Concern', so Antonov State Concern is just a shell company now, so it is being wound up.

dcajet

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:54 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:

I think it gets borrowed from German, where "Konzern" means group, as in The Lufthansa Group.

MaksFly

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:53 pm

There was a joint venture between Russia and Ukraine but it never really materialized.

Yes, the parent company is now under state control. Situation in Ukraine is a big mess, what else is new and just corrupt folks juggling for power.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos