Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcajet
Topic Author

Delta is quitting Venezuela... too

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm

On the same day as Avianca also announced it.is leaving CCS.

pipeafcr wrote:
It seems like Delta will also be leaving CCS effective 17 September 2017. There's a scanned letter directed to the INAC with yesterday's date on it and written by DL's representatives in Venezuela stating its intentions of leaving.

https://twitter.com/pvasquezv/status/890309511499706370

OB1504

Re: Delta announces it is quitting Venezuela... too

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:37 pm

Coincidentally, someone in the Avianca thread pointed out that Delta somehow still overnights crews in Venezuela.

LAXdude1023

Re: Delta is quitting Venezuela... too

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 pm

Its not really a surprise. Venezuela has mega problems right now and safety is a large concern. Here in Houston (which has the largest Venezuelan community in North America after Miami) when I talk to colleagues from Caracas, their main concern is getting people out of the country by all means necessary and not going back until things calm down.

ATL has very little O&D to CCS and was relying on connections. The schedule required the crew to overnight and it was Saturday only. Its a recipe for disaster.

Channex757

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:37 pm

If you cannot get paid for what you do, then it is not a viable business. It is no surprise that the large foreign carriers are leaving Venezuela if they can't get their money out of the country by normal banking means.

MalevTU134

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Channex757 wrote:
If you cannot get paid for what you do, then it is not a viable business. It is no surprise that the large foreign carriers are leaving Venezuela if they can't get their money out of the country by normal banking means.

Check for corrections to your outdated views over at the Avianca leaving Venezuela thread...

dfwjim1

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:12 pm

I really hope AA hangs in there with their MIA - CCS route.

WWads

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:32 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:

I believe that AA still has an Admiral's Club at CCS. If they pull out, it's really hitting the fan.

dfwjim1

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:37 pm

WWads wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

I believe that AA still has an Admiral's Club at CCS. If they pull out, it's really hitting the fan.

Very interesting that AA has an Admiral's Club in CCS. Lots of people from Venezuela living in South Florida so it would be a very bad thing if AA quit flying there.

c933103

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Is this related to latest sanctions put in place by the government of the US on Venezuela?

WWads

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Avianca moved their end date up to today. I wonder whether DL's flight this Saturday will go.

Cunard

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:12 am

c933103 wrote:
Is this related to latest sanctions put in place by the government of the US on Venezuela?

Have you not been watching the news regarding Venezuela?

ty97

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:14 am

B4REAL

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:18 am

There was a time that DL even flew A330s to CCS for cargo. And AA had many flights to CCS, even from SJU. I did a lot of work in Caracas the mid and late part of last decade, really enjoyed the experience and people there but felt like it was on a path in the wrong direction. People weren't happy.

c933103

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:24 am

Cunard wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Not too sure what particularly happened in the recent few weeks.

cf105arrow

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:06 am

What airlines still fly to CCS?

ty97

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:06 am

cf105arrow wrote:

For US airlines, only AA, and only from MIA.

But a significant number of non-US airlines, including several from Europe, still fly there.

dcajet
Topic Author

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:14 am

cf105arrow wrote:

Cubana de Aviación, Copa Airlines, Caribbean Airlines, Latin American Wings, Aerolineas Argentinas, TAME, Air Europa, Iberia, Air France, TAP Portugal & Turkish Airlines.

dcajet
Topic Author

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:24 am

ty97 wrote:
https://twitter.com/AP/status/890722275229655043

International journalists that are going to Venezuela to cover Sunday's events are being deported at CCS airport on arrival. Well known Buenos Aires journalist Jorge Lanata and his team arrived this AM on COPA and were detained by the Chavista Intelligence Service, (SEBIN) and kept in a room, along with his team, not allowed to speak to each other, under the custody of armed guards. For 8 hours. Sent back to Argentina this afternoon after being told that Venezuela is not a colony. His passport and mobile were confiscated; staff from the Argentinian Embassy were not allowed to get in touch with him until the very last moment.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/2047675-jorg ... -alrededor

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:59 am

They hung in there longer than most. Too bad the former and current regime have hurt the country like this.

WWads

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:44 am

dcajet wrote:
cf105arrow wrote:

Cubana de Aviación, Copa Airlines, Caribbean Airlines, Latin American Wings, Aerolineas Argentinas, TAME, Air Europa, Iberia, Air France, TAP Portugal & Turkish Airlines.

I could easily see all TATL ending, along with AA and Copa if things blow up on Sunday. That would basically be the end of seamless air service ex-CCS.

MalevTU134

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:27 am

WWads wrote:
dcajet wrote:
cf105arrow wrote:

I could easily see all TATL ending, along with AA and Copa if things blow up on Sunday. That would basically be the end of seamless air service ex-CCS.

Nothing will blow up on Sunday. It will be fraud as usual, but nothing else. The Venezuelan people simply have no clue how ro deal with the situation. That's the sad truth, and the regime's biggest blessing.

klwright69

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:30 am

When UA ended CCS, I said immediately that DL would be next and it would be real soon. UA was a stalwart and maintained daily flights from IAH to the end.
UA ending was a signal to DL that their weekly flight was just pointless. Of course the idea was to not completely leave the market, but there is a point where there is not point in flying there any longer things are so severe.
At first I thought UA overnighting crews in AUA meant that they were in CCS for the longhaul come hell or high-water. I was not right on that one.

AntonioMartin

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:01 pm

the way Maduro is ruini...ehem, running that country, doesn't surprise me. Chavez must be turning in his grave. Chavez was no saint either but he was a much better man than Maduro and person IMO. Sad to see my favorite airline leave another country, but it makes sense 100 percent. PLUS, now that Cuba is open to Americans, soon maybe not even the Venezuelans will want to travel to Venezuela from the USA, let alone Americans that have a newer choice to travel for business and vacation in Cuba.

andrefranca

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:10 pm

dcajet wrote:
ty97 wrote:
https://twitter.com/AP/status/890722275229655043

International journalists that are going to Venezuela to cover Sunday's events are being deported at CCS airport on arrival. Well known Buenos Aires journalist Jorge Lanata and his team arrived this AM on COPA and were detained by the Chavista Intelligence Service, (SEBIN) and kept in a room, along with his team, not allowed to speak to each other, under the custody of armed guards. For 8 hours. Sent back to Argentina this afternoon after being told that Venezuela is not a colony. His passport and mobile were confiscated; staff from the Argentinian Embassy were not allowed to get in touch with him until the very last moment.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/2047675-jorg ... -alrededor

For such a beautiful country that it is, had been twice there, it's heartbreaking for any Unasul citizen to see Venezuela becoming the new Cuba... I think the others will follow suit....

DesertAir

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Venezuela is a good example of the problems with one-party rule. The people expressed their preference a couple of years ago by voting in an Assembly National (one chamber house) a majority by the opposition parties. From that day, the President has not accepted the vote and has moved to impose his power and that of his party in a dictatorial manner. The Supreme Court has replaced the Assembly National is staffed by loyalist judges with questionable qualifications. Now, the President wants to rewrite the constitution to further move the country in a one party system that enshrines his and his party´s power.
The citizens have decided to protest this movement, at all costs. The protests have turned violent with more than 100 killed and about 700 injured and hundreds detained. The military courts are judging citizens.
The airlines cannot be guaranteed the security of their planes, airport services and their pilots and FAs. The government controls the monetary exchange rate and has not paid the millions of dollars owed to many of the airlines. With an inflation rate of move than 100% few citizens can afford to fly; many citizens, poor and rich alike, have fled the nation. Venezuela is a big X for tourism and business travel.
The Sunday vote on the Constitutional Assembly may move the nation into a civil war mode. Airlines do not want to fly into war zones.

Cunard

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:05 pm

c933103 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Not too sure what particularly happened in the recent few weeks.

I suggest you watch the news and keep up to date then, people are being killed on the streets for demonstrating, people are being imprisioned and tortured for protesting against Maduro and his hard line regime, etc, etc, the whole country is going downhill and not a particularly safe place to be. You really need to watch the news more than your be more informed rather than asking such questions,

The BBC had an excellent 30 minutes about Venezuela last night and the whole of the country awaits the circumstances of Sunday's rallies.

It's a real shame seeing Venezuela in the way the country has declined, having been there myself it's a beautiful country with really lovely people.

ipelyhe

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:08 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
WWads wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Nothing will blow up on Sunday. It will be fraud as usual, but nothing else. The Venezuelan people simply have no clue how ro deal with the situation. That's the sad truth, and the regime's biggest blessing.

Probably that is true and nothing will really change. But regarding airlines, my guess is that CM and AA will stay on for some time since PTY and MIA have fairly large communities of Venezuelans living there. Add that to the fact that they purchase the tickets outside of Venezuela and pay in USD and then these (few) flights can still be profitable. CM is even 3x daily to CCS with 738. Doubt they would be doing that if its a loss maker. At this point, any money still left in Venezuela that hasn't been repatriated has most probably been written off by most airlines. Whoever stays should be making money through other mechanisms or specific market conditions.

ORL777

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:52 pm

B4REAL wrote:
There was a time that DL even flew A330s to CCS for cargo. And AA had many flights to CCS, even from SJU. I did a lot of work in Caracas the mid and late part of last decade, really enjoyed the experience and people there but felt like it was on a path in the wrong direction. People weren't happy.

The Biggest Aircraft Delta operates into Caracas was the Boeing 767-400ER, the A330-200 was schedule but never made it! sadly this was expected from few weeks ago.

Only AA will be the only North American Airline in Venezuela

MalevTU134

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:20 pm

ipelyhe wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
WWads wrote:

Probably that is true and nothing will really change. But regarding airlines, my guess is that CM and AA will stay on for some time since PTY and MIA have fairly large communities of Venezuelans living there. Add that to the fact that they purchase the tickets outside of Venezuela and pay in USD and then these (few) flights can still be profitable. CM is even 3x daily to CCS with 738. Doubt they would be doing that if its a loss maker. At this point, any money still left in Venezuela that hasn't been repatriated has most probably been written off by most airlines. Whoever stays should be making money through other mechanisms or specific market conditions.

You are 100% correct

CVGDTWfan

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:37 pm

ORL777 wrote:
B4REAL wrote:

The Biggest Aircraft Delta operates into Caracas was the Boeing 767-400ER, the A330-200 was schedule but never made it! sadly this was expected from few weeks ago.

Only AA will be the only North American Airline in Venezuela

And with the way things are going in Venezuela (US ordering families of diplomats to leave, etc), I don't foresee AA being there much longer either

aemoreira1981

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:58 pm

The next carrier to pull out will probably be TK, with IST-HAV becoming a terminator service in Cuba. TK overnights in Caracas.

OneSexyL1011

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:13 pm

To think, there used to be Concorde service to Caracas back in the day. Caracas once was a major money destination.

Man, how times have changed.

2travel2know2

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:44 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
The next carrier to pull out will probably be TK, with IST-HAV becoming a terminator service in Cuba. TK overnights in Caracas.
It was written on another topic that SJO has been in talks with TK, so it's a guess that TK might fly IST-HAV-SJO soon instead of IST-HAV-CCS.

As DL and AV are leaving Venezuela, other airlines, between the few international still flying over-there and the domestic ones will fill the void.
One could expect CM to re-schedule or even add extra frequencies - if possible - to avoid having crews overnight in CCS and MAR.

OB1504

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:31 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
PLUS, now that Cuba is open to Americans, soon maybe not even the Venezuelans will want to travel to Venezuela from the USA, let alone Americans that have a newer choice to travel for business and vacation in Cuba.

I don't think Venezuela has been a vacation destination for Americans for several years now. Restrictions on doing business with Cuba are still tight and the current presidential administration may roll back the changes made last year.

ipelyhe wrote:
But regarding airlines, my guess is that CM and AA will stay on for some time since PTY and MIA have fairly large communities of Venezuelans living there. Add that to the fact that they purchase the tickets outside of Venezuela and pay in USD and then these (few) flights can still be profitable. CM is even 3x daily to CCS with 738. Doubt they would be doing that if its a loss maker.

AA will immediately pull out if they can no longer guarantee the safety of their operations. During the wave of protests a few years ago, service to MAR was suspended for about a month and the flight was subsequently retimed to avoid an overnight and downgraded from a 757 to a 737.

I remember even a few years ago MIA-CCS was served three or four times a day with 757s and 767s. Now it's down to just two 737s.

dcajet
Topic Author

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:16 pm

OB1504 wrote:
I remember even a few years ago MIA-CCS was served three or four times a day with 757s and 767s. Now it's down to just two 737s.

In the late 80s and very early 90s it was Pan Am, Viasa and American all operating different versions of the A300 on the MIA-CCS route, a few times a day each.

goldorak

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Breaking news : AF just announced that they are temporarily suspending CCS due to safety concerns. At the moment it is until Aug 5. But who knows...

WWads

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:23 pm

Only one seat left on DL's Sunday flight:

lightsaber

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:47 pm

WWads wrote:
Only one seat left on DL's Sunday flight:

Will we soon see a last flight out situation?

The country has collapsed. It is a question of what event places the gravestone. This is very sad. No people deserve this, but it is the inevitable consequence of one party rule. They did it to themselves. :(

Lightsaber

AntonioMartin

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:13 am

OB1504 wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
PLUS, now that Cuba is open to Americans, soon maybe not even the Venezuelans will want to travel to Venezuela from the USA, let alone Americans that have a newer choice to travel for business and vacation in Cuba.

I don't think Venezuela has been a vacation destination for Americans for several years now. Restrictions on doing business with Cuba are still tight and the current presidential administration may roll back the changes made last year.

True.......

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos