Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

klm617

Re: Atlanta Air Service Discussion

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:53 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
AF is sending the A380 to ATL on Dec 12

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... -dec-2017/

I'm sure they will get better service than QR did when they brought their A380 to ATL

777Mech

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:27 am

klm617 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
AF is sending the A380 to ATL on Dec 12

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... -dec-2017/

I'm sure they will get better service than QR did when they brought their A380 to ATL

They will since they planned and communicated it out months in advance.

787fan8
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:03 pm

Atlanta airport will build pedestrian bridges to link the north and south parking lots to the domestic terminal to help ease traffic congestion.
http://www.myajc.com/business/atlanta-a ... E6l9Cp0QM/

Narfish641

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:07 am

787fan8 wrote:
Atlanta airport will build pedestrian bridges to link the north and south parking lots to the domestic terminal to help ease traffic congestion.
http://www.myajc.com/business/atlanta-a ... E6l9Cp0QM/

Thank goodness. They are most defiantly gonna need it! Man this airport is gonna be so beautiful when their finished with all the projects!

BravoEchoNov

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:18 pm

Aeromexico starts service to Atlanta tomorrow.

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed seemed to hint that the airport will be announcing a new international carrier soon. His term in office ends this year so I would expect the announcement to occur before he leaves.

In a response from a tweet that read "Aeromexico (begins ATL service Friday) will be Atlanta's 10th foreign airline. Atlanta has added 4 new foreign carriers under @KasimReed."

Kasim Reed responded "Thanks for your kind note, but most of the credit for this should go to my COS, @ByrdCandace & our @ATLairport team. More good news to come."

Any ideas on what this airline could be? A low-cost to Europe like Norwegian or WOW? Emirates finally giving it a try? A Latin American airline like COPA or Interjet? I think WestJet is the most likely answer.

787fan8
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:21 pm

BravoEchoNov wrote:
Aeromexico starts service to Atlanta tomorrow.

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed seemed to hint that the airport will be announcing a new international carrier soon. His term in office ends this year so I would expect the announcement to occur before he leaves.

In a response from a tweet that read "Aeromexico (begins ATL service Friday) will be Atlanta's 10th foreign airline. Atlanta has added 4 new foreign carriers under @KasimReed."

Kasim Reed responded "Thanks for your kind note, but most of the credit for this should go to my COS, @ByrdCandace & our @ATLairport team. More good news to come."

Any ideas on what this airline could be? A low-cost to Europe like Norwegian or WOW? Emirates finally giving it a try? A Latin American airline like COPA or Interjet? I think WestJet is the most likely answer.

The ones that you mentioned seem to be the most logical possibilities. You guys can go ahead and shoot me down on this, but could HU be a possibility?

Sightseer

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:37 pm

787fan8 wrote:
You guys can go ahead and shoot me down on this, but could HU be a possibility?

No, unless they cut frequencies on another US route from PEK or PVG. There are no more Zone 1 (PEK/PVG/CAN) frequencies remaining to be allocated in the US-China bilateral. HU could theoretically serve ATL from a non-Zone 1 city, but even by Chinese airline standards that would be a bloodbath, and I can't imagine there's a local government in China willing to subsidize such a service.

globalflyer

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:45 pm

I can see WS on ATL-YYC as they have a code share in place with DL and DL does not serve the route nonstop from ATL. CM would be a treat to PTY but the competition would be fierce with DL. Maybe WW as it is rapidly expanding or what about Norwegian starting ATL to LGW and/or ORY, two airports not currently served from ATL. Would love to see FI to KEF. ATL needs some LCC competition over the Atlantic. I always thought EK would arrive in ATL after DL pulled out, but I just do not see this happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

flymco753

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:16 pm

WS won't add ATL-YYC because limited service protects current DL service to YYC. Myabe they'll add YYZ-ATL but I don't see that unless a JV goes through. I definitely don't think ATL-PTY is that big, there's other XXX-PTY markets that don't have service yet that are larger. I don't see WW or DY going to ATL because it'll cannibalize a ton of markets like LON, BCN, CDG, etc. FI is probable in the next few years if they're willing to compete with DL. You're right, EK probably won't happen for a while, there's not a big enough market to the Middle-East/India for multiple carriers.

787fan8
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Delta's new Atlanta-Shanghai flight is now officially scheduled to start on July 20th, pending government approval. Reservations are set to open in the next few hours.
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... july-2018/

Narfish641

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:16 am

https://youtu.be/BYZqngPW_DU

Hey guys, I forgot to share this 2 weeks ago. I went plane spotting on the north deck. If anyone has a Youtube, please subscribe to my channel (21xd09), I have other cool content on there and I would appriciate it very much!

BTW the camera I'm using is a Microsoft Lumina 650. Not the best smartphone camera out there, but it did the job. I'm hoping to go back out on the south deck next week.

Sightseer

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:58 am

flymco753 wrote:
WS won't add ATL-YYC because limited service protects current DL service to YYC.

DL and WS don't have ATI or a JV. Why would WS care about protecting DL's service more than its own growth?

flymco753 wrote:
I don't see WW or DY going to ATL because it'll cannibalize a ton of markets like LON, BCN, CDG, etc.

WW or DY may siphon traffic from existing carrier services to those cities from ATL, but again, why would they value that more than their own opportunities for expansion?

787fan8
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:53 pm

With Hurricane Irma fast approaching, we should certainly expect delays and/or cancellation of flights from ATL to quite a few Caribbean airports this week.

deltal1011man

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:59 pm

flymco753 wrote:
WS won't add ATL-YYC because limited service protects current DL service to YYC. Myabe they'll add YYZ-ATL but I don't see that unless a JV goes through. I definitely don't think ATL-PTY is that big, there's other XXX-PTY markets that don't have service yet that are larger. I don't see WW or DY going to ATL because it'll cannibalize a ton of markets like LON, BCN, CDG, etc. FI is probable in the next few years if they're willing to compete with DL. You're right, EK probably won't happen for a while, there's not a big enough market to the Middle-East/India for multiple carriers.

What is it with the DTW fanboy club and stuff like this?

DL and WS don't have any kind of JV and are just codeshare partners. WS and DL both have the obligation to their stakeholders to do what is best for them, not competitors.
787fan8 wrote:
With Hurricane Irma fast approaching, we should certainly expect delays and/or cancellation of flights from ATL to quite a few Caribbean airports this week.

Depending on what track it ends up taking we could be getting nailed.

GSP psgr

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:29 pm

jplatts wrote:
Will Southwest discontinue ATL-GSP nonstop service? ATL appears to be too close to GSP for Southwest to be serving only ATL nonstop from GSP since the ATL airport is within a 2-and-a-half hour drive from Greenville, SC, since Southwest goes head-to-head with Delta on GSP-ATL nonstop service, and since any connection that can be made on Southwest through ATL can also be made through ATL on Delta. CLT is also approximately a hour-and-a-half drive of Greenville, SC, and Southwest does also fly out of CLT (even though Southwest has limited service out of CLT).

Why does Southwest really need to serve GSP if CLT is within a hour-and-a-half drive of Greenville, SC, if ATL is the only destination that Southwest serves nonstop from GSP, and if ATL is within a two-and-a-half-hour drive of Greenville, SC? It appears that Southwest is better off discontinuing ATL-GSP nonstop service and adding nonstop service from GSP to destinations that are farther from GSP than ATL is with GSP being so close to ATL and with Southwest's service out of GSP going head-to-head with Delta Air Lines.

I could see WN moving it to BNA as there would be much more local traffic combined with the general growth trends for WN at both airports. I personally hate dealing with CLT/ATL traffic and will pay the premium to use GSP; it's super convenient compared to either of the big megahubs.

Narfish641

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:16 am

787fan8 wrote:

Has anyone notice that area where they store the planes at, where the hangers are and where the runway starts? That grade over there is steep and you could imagine if that hurricane came storming here. Where talking millions and billions of dollars of damage of equipment plus aircraft. I don't even know if that area near the Renaissance Hotel can store a heap of planes, but only time will tell on what will happen. However the paths don't lie, theres an 80% chance we will get hit, and it's getting slimmer by the hour.

deltal1011man

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:25 am

Narfish641 wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

Has anyone notice that area where they store the planes at, where the hangers are and where the runway starts? That grade over there is steep and you could imagine if that hurricane came storming here. Where talking millions and billions of dollars of damage of equipment plus aircraft. I don't even know if that area near the Renaissance Hotel can store a heap of planes, but only time will tell on what will happen. However the paths don't lie, theres an 80% chance we will get hit, and it's getting slimmer by the hour.

Which area?

By TechOps or Delta North/Southwest hangar/ASA hangar?

In any case you will likely see DL send its planes north if needed. Plenty of parking at DTW, MSP, CVG and SLC.
But also this won't be like taking a hit in Miami or something. Windy and rain. The airport drains pretty well actually.

787fan8
Topic Author

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:13 pm

Operating statistics for the month of July are out
http://www.atl.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... y-2017.pdf

787fan8
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:02 am

Delta is currently adding extra flights from ATL to Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach and Key West to help evacuate residents from South Florida. Additionally, all flights from ATL to the Caribbean have been cancelled.

flymco753

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:58 am

Hey ATL, look out tomorrow for inbound DL1239 from DTW, it's been swapped from a 739 to a 744 to accommodate Irma travelers. It'll turn back to DTW shortly after, as of now it'll arrive at F.

787fan8
Topic Author

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:10 pm

Well guys, it's official. The world's busiest airport is expected to be struck by Irma as a tropical storm. CNBC is reporting that the airport could see winds of up to 73 MPH by the time she passes over Georgia on Tuesday, and lots of cancellations are expected if she hits as predicted. Stay safe fellow Atlantans.

Narfish641

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:14 pm

Does anyone know what time that Delta 744 will leave? If not I hope to catch it. It sucks that Delta don't fly their 744s here anymore. But yeah its gonna get pretty crazy over here so I hope everyone stays safe during the storm. Pray for Flordia too because Irma seems to be calming a bit but she is still pissed and wants to destroy.

787fan8
Topic Author

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm

Hurricane update: Delta has cancelled 800 flights as Irma, now a tropical storm, nears Atlanta. More cancellations could follow depending on the severity of the weather. Southwest has also canceled about half of their Atlanta flights today.

klm617

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:21 pm

787fan8 wrote:
Hurricane update: Delta has cancelled 800 flights as Irma, now a tropical storm, nears Atlanta. More cancellations could follow depending on the severity of the weather. Southwest has also canceled about half of their Atlanta flights today.

So what will Delta do will they upgauge or add frequency at the other hubs to get these passengers to their destinations or are they just stranding them until the storm is over.

787fan8
Topic Author

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:35 pm

klm617 wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

So what will Delta do will they upgauge or add frequency at the other hubs to get these passengers to their destinations or are they just stranding them until the storm is over.

We'll see what happens. The airport has stated on their Twitter account that they are closely monitoring the storm, and they are also encouraging passengers to check their flight status and to monitor their airline's communication channels for the latest information about delays and cancellations.

Atlwarrior

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:01 pm

I'm amazed to see ATL still operating. The heavy bands of rain and wind is about to hit though. Its just crazy to think that all three legacy carries, Delta, United, and American will lose millions because of Hurricanes within the last 3 weeks.

jfern022

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:03 pm

klm617 wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

They are going to focus the entirety of their efforts into Detroit.

N776AU

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Several diversions today so far. There were a few that caught my eye. There are a couple going to Indianapolis and the one from Montego Bay going to St. Louis. Why would they go to these two airports instead of Cincinnati, or Detroit, or even Minneapolis? It looks like the heavies from Europe and Asia are going to Detroit.

Jshank83

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:57 pm

N776AU wrote:
Several diversions today so far. There were a few that caught my eye. There are a couple going to Indianapolis and the one from Montego Bay going to St. Louis. Why would they go to these two airports instead of Cincinnati, or Detroit, or even Minneapolis? It looks like the heavies from Europe and Asia are going to Detroit.

Maybe they didn't have the fuel to get to the further away airports?

787fan8
Topic Author

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:30 am

Qatar Airways is upgauging from the 777-200LR to the 777-300ER for the entire winter season starting Oct 29th.
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-13sep17/

bravoindia

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Also QATAR going thru PIT with cargo starting October 12.

deltal1011man

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:55 pm

klm617 wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

Can you and the DTW fanboy club not bring your normal garbage to this thread? You ruin enough threads here.

787fan8
Topic Author

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:48 pm

bravoindia wrote:
I think that would be worth mentioning in the PIT thread instead of this one.
deltal1011man wrote:
klm617 wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

Can you and the DTW fanboy club not bring your normal garbage to this thread? You ruin enough threads here.

^This. Literally any thread that has DL or DTW in the title is troll bait these days. That's why I put that little notice in the first post of this thread.

Narfish641

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:15 pm

787fan8 wrote:
Qatar Airways is upgauging from the 777-200LR to the 777-300ER for the entire winter season starting Oct 29th.
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-13sep17/

Nice jump in capacity, always love seeing them. They have a very nice clean, modern, sleek cabin. Makes me want to book a flight!

bravoindia

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:07 am

787fan8 wrote:
bravoindia wrote:
I think that would be worth mentioning in the PIT thread instead of this one. [quote="deltal1011man"][quote="klm617"]

I think the upgauge of 777-200LR to -300ER should be in the Doha thread. Come on dude, really? It's a new destination for a carrier already serving ATL. When delta adds a new destination do you mention it on here if it's leaving Atlanta or do you look up the destination thread and put it there. Go over to the PIT discussion there's plenty about it on there. I merely said one add for QR from ATL isn't why this thread was started.

787fan8
Topic Author

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:50 am

bravoindia wrote:
787fan8 wrote:
bravoindia wrote:
I think that would be worth mentioning in the PIT thread instead of this one.
deltal1011man wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I think the upgauge of 777-200LR to -300ER should be in the Doha thread. Come on dude, really? It's a new destination for a carrier already serving ATL. When delta adds a new destination do you mention it on here if it's leaving Atlanta or do you look up the destination thread and put it there. Go over to the PIT discussion there's plenty about it on there. I merely said one add for QR from ATL isn't why this thread was started.

Oh crap your right. I didn't realize it was being routed through ATL. I'm sorry for misreading your first post about the new cargo service. :oops:

787fan8
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Would anyone happen to have access to any recent load factors for airlines at ATL?

flymco753

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:25 pm

787fan8 wrote:
Would anyone happen to have access to any recent load factors for airlines at ATL?
Which routes are you looking for?

787fan8
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:33 pm

flymco753 wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

International, so basically any international route DL flies out of ATL and foreign airlines that fly to ATL.

flymco753

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:36 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
787fan8 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

International, so basically any international route DL flies out of ATL and foreign airlines that fly to ATL.
International LF's I find difficult to locate, but I can pull some LF's on domestic carriers. If you'd like to check it out; https://flightaware.com/insight/airline/KATL/LFPG/DAL

787fan8
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Delta will add seasonal service from Atlanta to Lisbon, Portugal starting May 24th.
http://news.delta.com/delta-s-trans-atl ... stinations

787fan8
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Frontier will add ATL to ISP and SJC in April of 2018.
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... es-in-s18/

N776AU

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:38 pm

I noticed when I was there a few weeks ago they're now using both sides of the concourse F train station. I'm sure it was to alleviate congestion. Pretty cool I guess. Also I might or might not have ignored the call to get off the train just to be there for the turnaround :stirthepot:

bravoindia

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:47 pm

With Turkish order of 40 B789s is ATL a possible route for it to replace the A330 when they come online? Would love to see more 78s in ATL

globalflyer

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:22 pm

VS will replace three of its ATL-MAN weekly flights with 747-400 instead of A330-300 effective March 2018.

Sightseer

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:34 pm

globalflyer wrote:
VS will replace three of its ATL-MAN weekly flights with 747-400 instead of A330-300 effective March 2018.

That will be cool to see. Sadly (from a plane spotting perspective), that could well be the last scheduled 744 passenger service ATL ever sees, though it could theoretically see the 748 from LH or, more likely, KE.

787fan8
Topic Author

Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:42 pm

globalflyer wrote:

Wow. I knew the ATL-MAN route was doing well, but I never thought it was doing well enough to the point where it could be upgauged to a 747.
Sightseer wrote:
That will be cool to see. Sadly (from a plane spotting perspective), that could well be the last scheduled 744 passenger service ATL ever sees, though it could theoretically see the 748 from LH or, more likely, KE.

KE could potentially do the A380/747-8I/777-300ER mix again once the fall and winter seasons are over, so we'll probably get to see the -8 at ATL again. However, I agree that this could be the last scheduled 744 service into ATL, that is, unless BA, LH or KL pull an unexpected move and bring their 744's here.

Narfish641

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:45 am

globalflyer wrote:

Awesome to hear! But as others stated, this could be the end for 747 commercial plames ever touching the ATL. Wouldn't be surpised if KAL brings their 747-8i.

787fan8
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Per ATL's Twitter, construction of the canopies at the domestic terminal has started. Much more construction to come.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ATLairport/s ... 9032254465

787fan8
Topic Author

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:29 pm

So I was dropping my mother off at the domestic terminal for her flight at the South side yesterday evening, and I noticed that traffic at the North side where they are building the canopies had been heavily disturbed due to the construction. Also, a airport worker told me that during the next phase of construction, vehicles will not be allowed to wait at the curbside for passengers, and that traffic officers would allow "active loading and unloading" only during that phase. All I can say is that while ATL will be very nice once everything in the master plan is completed, it's going to be a very interesting next few years for the airport.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos