Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BelAviaFan
Topic Author

20-year old arrested in Israel for filming planes landing at Sde Dov Airport (with a drone)

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Niv Stobenzki, a 20-year-old man has been arrested in Israel after flying a Mavic Pro drone near Sde Dov Airport in Tel Aviv – close to where aeroplanes were attempting to land on the runway – and then bragging about it on social media “filming air planes from about 90 Ft distance from the drone”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYoz1Bkvf3E

CairnterriAIR

Re: 20-year old arrested in Israel for filming planes landing at Sde Dov Airport (with a drone)

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Stay in school kids....stay in school.

ChrisKen

Re: 20-year old arrested in Israel for filming planes landing at Sde Dov Airport (with a drone)

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:29 am

What an idiot.

Ditto for the those reposting the video to up their hit rate. It'll just encourage more fecking morons.

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:11 am

The drone pilot community went collectively NUTS over this moron, many of them saving the video and screen shots of his face to share with the proper authorities.

BlatantEcho

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:11 am

For what it's worth, I've been arrested in the US taking pictures of planes (no drone).

Public park, with other people around watching them too.
US citizen, minding my own business.

Cost me ~$10,000 to defend myself.

--
Just for what it's worth, this stuff happens around the world to law abiding citizens.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:01 am

Idiot. Everybody knows not to fly drones near an airport, it's dangerous for the planes. I can feel no mercy for people who do and can only hope for severe punishment.

Mir

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:07 am

BlatantEcho wrote:
For what it's worth, I've been arrested in the US taking pictures of planes (no drone).

--
Just for what it's worth, this stuff happens around the world to law abiding citizens.

He's not a law-abiding citizen. He's endangering people by flying a drone so close to landing aircraft. You, on the other hand, were causing no danger at all by taking photos from the ground. There's a big difference.

BobPatterson

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:16 am

BlatantEcho wrote:

--

What law were you charged with violating? What equipment were you using or in possession of?

EL-AL

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:37 am

The headline is misleading. He was not arrested for filming airplanes, as there is no problem doing so around Sde Dov (you can see many pictures from there on a.net), he was arrested for using the drone so close to active airport.

VolvoBus

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:54 am

Is Tel Aviv a good place to be doing something that could very easily be interpreted as setting up a terrorist attack ?

rbavfan

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:39 am

BlatantEcho wrote:

--

I'd have to ask where as I know many including myself that have done that all over the US. I wonder what else you were doing to get them to arrest you at a public park.Was it at an Air base vs a commercial airport.

yochai

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:47 am

VolvoBus wrote:
Is Tel Aviv a good place to be doing something that could very easily be interpreted as setting up a terrorist attack ?

There's absolutely no problem with plane spotting in Israel in general

Noshow

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:48 am

Flying drones next to aircraft and airports is dangerous and forbidden. This should be known to every drone pilot. How can he be so naive and irresponsible?

yowza

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Is there some legislation/guideline as to how far away o be from airport airspace?

YOWza

Jayafe

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:48 pm

yowza wrote:
Is there some legislation/guideline as to how far away o be from airport airspace?

YOWza

There is some countries, nothing international.

aemoreira1981

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:23 pm

What a moron! I live under the approach path to JFK RWY 13L/R. That could be really dangerous. This and unauthorized illuminations are the bane of planespotting.

georgiaame

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:29 pm

You really have to be pretty dense to mess with Israeli security. Probably a harmless action on the kid's part, but with potentially really, really bad consequences.

BlatantEcho

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:50 pm

MSP airport. Standing on lawn at Fort Snelling State Park. (With families and delta pilot waiting for his wife).

I had a Nikon D3300, that's it.

--
I was cuffed and booked at the msp airport police station. Ultimately released into the terminal (I had a flight a few hours later).

Took lawyers, bail and all that to clear my name.

Again, no previous issues with anything. No trouble ever.

It's happening all around and if you guys just chuckle on the internet that someone gets busted... just remember. Your country is arresting its own citizens in public places watching planes.

Happened to me.

Virtual737

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:03 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
Your country is arresting its own citizens in public places watching planes. .

The land of the free (except for watching planes, visiting Cuba or North Korea).

VolvoBus

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:13 pm

georgiaame wrote:
You really have to be pretty dense to mess with Israeli security. Probably a harmless action on the kid's part, but with potentially really, really bad consequences.

Isn't 20 old enough not to be described as a kid? Still, somebody seems to have understood my prior reference to Tel Aviv and possible terrorism.

VolvoBus

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:
Your country is arresting its own citizens in public places watching planes. .

The land of the free (except for watching planes, visiting Cuba or North Korea).

I wasn't aware my country is.

redcap1962

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:16 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:

What was the accusation - I mean, what law were you braking in their opinion?

skipness1E

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:18 pm

Sorry at the umpteenth time of asking, what reason was given for your detention?

BobPatterson

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:16 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
MSP airport. Standing on lawn at Fort Snelling State Park. (With families and delta pilot waiting for his wife).

--
I was cuffed and booked at the msp airport police station. Ultimately released into the terminal (I had a flight a few hours later).

It's happening all around and if you guys just chuckle on the internet that someone gets busted... just remember. Your country is arresting its own citizens in public places watching planes.

Happened to me.

Thanks for responding to this point.

What were the charges placed against you? The precise legal wording.

BlatantEcho

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:42 pm

My lawyer got a CWOP for me, so I paid a fine and over the course of a year was able to expunge this from my record.

I was arrested for reasons that were never made clear to the arresting officer.
I was told I was being suspicious (even though that's obviously not a crime), and I was in a public park with others watching planes.

When I was cuffed in the back of the police vehicle, I was then told they were 'ascertaining my identity'

--
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm fairly well versed in my civic rights as an American citizen.
My lawyer was able to get it all handled over a few months, but only after I expended a bit over $10,000 personally to defend myself.

I talked to some civil rights attorneys after the fact, and when told the details, said I had a great case, but they wouldn't try it in that county, I just wouldn't win no matter what the facts were.

So, again, be careful at there. You are not safe spotting in the USA, people are being arrested for watching planes in public places.
Wouldn't have believed it till it happened to me (this was summer 2015, fwiw, just 6 months ago got it finally fully expunged)

dcaviation

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:03 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
My lawyer got a CWOP for me, so I paid a fine and over the course of a year was able to expunge this from my record.

I was told I was being suspicious (even though that's obviously not a crime), and I was in a public park with others watching planes.

When I was cuffed in the back of the police vehicle, I was then told they were 'ascertaining my identity'

--
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm fairly well versed in my civic rights as an American citizen.
My lawyer was able to get it all handled over a few months, but only after I expended a bit over $10,000 personally to defend myself.

I talked to some civil rights attorneys after the fact, and when told the details, said I had a great case, but they wouldn't try it in that county, I just wouldn't win no matter what the facts were.

So, again, be careful at there. You are not safe spotting in the USA, people are being arrested for watching planes in public places.
Wouldn't have believed it till it happened to me (this was summer 2015, fwiw, just 6 months ago got it finally fully expunged)

Look for real civil right attorney, not some free money for nothing attorneys. What county has to do with any of it? Are they more white supremacists in that county? I would sue them for $10K in your previous loses + $100K just because you can. At the end, you can settle with the PD for around $20K.

Better call Saul!

PlanesNTrains

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:24 pm

dcaviation wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

--

Look for real civil right attorney, not some free money for nothing attorneys. What county has to do with any of it? Are they more white supremacists in that county? I would sue them for $10K in your previous loses + $100K just because you can. At the end, you can settle with the PD for around $20K.

Better call Saul!

I don't know BlatantEcho's race so that might indeed be an issue for him. However, I have a friend - white - who literally today was denied service in a restaurant in Mississippi because he was white. He's there on a brief work assignment and he and the guy he was with didn't know they weren't welcome.

It isn't just White Against the World. :-)

BobPatterson

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:12 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:

--

Did you ever appear before a judge or magistrate?

What were the charges placed against you? The precise legal wording.

Groover158

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:11 am

BlatantEcho wrote:
...My lawyer was able to get it all handled over a few months, but only after I expended a bit over $10,000 personally to defend myself. ...

BlatantEcho wrote:
...Wouldn't have believed it till it happened to me (this was summer 2015, fwiw, just 6 months ago got it finally fully expunged.

BlatantEcho wrote:
...I was arrested for reasons that were never made clear to the arresting officer. ...

Your lawyer wasn't able to tell you? What exactly was he 'handling' over a few months? I'm wondering whether it's your lawyer that's ripping you off.

BlatantEcho

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:42 am

^^^

I have two lawyers I keep on retainer for work/business. He was some local Minnesota schmuck to make appearances instead of me flying out my GC to appear.

But thanks for your opinion.

No, no one was able to tell me why I was arrested. Is that clear enough for you?

When I was cuffed and put in the police cruiser, I was told I was 'being suspicious'.
I asked what crime I was accused of committing, or law I was breaking..... he just said I was 'acting suspicious'

Since there was no reason to arrest me, the citation (never charged with a crime, if you remember) said I was uncooperative in an investigation. Or some totally insane wording like that.

I was arrested for watching and photographing airplanes in America in a public park, with people around as a full American citizen with zero criminal past/history of anything (haven't even had a speeding ticket in 10 years now).

I wasn't charged with a crime, I was cuffed, thrown in cruiser, booked and released at the airport police station for very dubious reasons.

That's the entire point guys. It's not just 'some other country' this is happening. But right here at home.

CocoLoco

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:43 pm

Unrelated, but why do they have such a huge smokestack right next to the airport? Doesn't seem less dangerous than this drone... although flying a drone at this location is pure madness.

AVFCdownunder

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:57 pm

yochai wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:

That's good to hear, a bit of common sense and rationality is needed with this sort of thing.

AVFCdownunder

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:03 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
^^^

I have two lawyers I keep on retainer for work/business. He was some local Minnesota schmuck to make appearances instead of me flying out my GC to appear.

But thanks for your opinion.

No, no one was able to tell me why I was arrested. Is that clear enough for you?

When I was cuffed and put in the police cruiser, I was told I was 'being suspicious'.
I asked what crime I was accused of committing, or law I was breaking..... he just said I was 'acting suspicious'

Since there was no reason to arrest me, the citation (never charged with a crime, if you remember) said I was uncooperative in an investigation. Or some totally insane wording like that.

I was arrested for watching and photographing airplanes in America in a public park, with people around as a full American citizen with zero criminal past/history of anything (haven't even had a speeding ticket in 10 years now).

I wasn't charged with a crime, I was cuffed, thrown in cruiser, booked and released at the airport police station for very dubious reasons.

That's the entire point guys. It's not just 'some other country' this is happening. But right here at home.

Your attempts to explain this bizarre scenario raises more questions with every answer. I've never heard of anyone supposedly well versed with their civil rights paying $10000 to defend themselves for acting suspiciously despite being arrested by an arresting officer that didn't know what they were arresting them for?

MSPSXMFLIER

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:

--

Happened to me.

I've read the original posting numerous times and the additional replies and I hate to say this, but it just doesn't properly add up, in my mind. Just from what I'm reading, it doesn't make any sense as to why this person would go through what was described?

I live in Minneapolis and know the area described as I often go and bike the trails down along the river flats and I take my share of photos and watch planes come over on landings and takeoffs. I've never had any issues with someone coming up to me and asking what I'm doing. I've taken photos with Minneapolis park police officers riding by on their bikes, passing right by me. I've had MSP airport police officers and Hennepin Co. sheriffs standing just a few feet away from me or cruising by in their squads, as well. I see others who are also taking photos and no one has ever come up to me, discreetly or otherwise, and told me to watch out for possible questioning when I'm photographing. Nor have I witnessed an encounter where some member of law enforcement is questioning/harassing a person.

There's an area along Post Rd. where people can be found parked, cameras and binoculars in hand, scanners turned on listening to ATC and sometimes, a patrol car will make a pass through the area and that's all, nothing else comes of it.

If what "BlatantEcho" states IS absolutely true, why in hell would you not continue to fight this? Someone with a clean record, no other trouble of any kind and then this incident happens, for no reason at all? I do not go along with the notion that "our country is arresting its own citizens in public places watching planes." I can't say if this was ever covered by local media stations, written up by the StarTribune, etc... but I'm curious enough now to dig around and see if anything can be found out about this incident.

Viper911

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 pm

AVFCdownunder wrote:
yochai wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:

That's good to hear, a bit of common sense and rationality is needed with this sort of thing.

As previously stated on here, the title is very misleading. The plane spotting community is Israel is very lively and doing well, as long as you don't do crazy stunts like this one, trespass, or film/photo military or security installations then you're good.

Viper911

BlatantEcho

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Mspxm, you know the exact area where I was arrested. I was as shocked as you of course.

Why I wouldn't pursue legal action, I talked to come civil rights attorneys and they said, while I had a case, they wouldn't take it as there was a small chance to win in Hennepin county with the judges and police officers there.

I wasn't going to pay hourly to go on a goose hunt to get my $10,000 back, so I moved on.

Everything has been expunged, so you likely can't find anything. I thought about writing to the local papers, but honestly, why bother?

I've told quite a few peers and I tell lots of people I meet about it. They are all shocked (and have no reason to be skeptical like some of you are).

It's just a cautionary tale for spotters.

Maybe I got a bad cop on a bad day... but his supervisor wasn't better...

--
I bought another business in Minnesota last year too, not like I hate the state, but I sent staff there to finish the deal.... don't want to go back personally ever again.

Listen: I've been on a.net for 15 years. If you guys think I have the time to make up things, believe why you want.

It happened, I was there and you are not free to spot and take pictures in this country. At least in my recent experience.

devron

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Looking at the video it looks to me the powerplant and the chimney in specific are really close to the airplanes. How is this handled or I am overly concerned with the clearance?

BobPatterson

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:21 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
I wasn't going to pay hourly to go on a goose hunt to get my $10,000 back, so I moved on.

The more you write, the deeper you make the plot appear to be.

At first the $10,000 was for expenses, now there is at least the suggestion that the funds might have been recoverable (from fines?).

No charges?

Big time businessman with a schmuck for a lawyer? A schmuck?

Sorry, but you have not convinced me that this story is anything other than hallucination.

But thanks for responding.

Blockplus

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:28 pm

BlatantEcho

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:22 am

Lol, thanks Bob. I really care what you think a lot.

If you think I'm wasting my time making stories up on a.net, be my guest. What would my motivation be again, would you remind me?

--
I only posted here as a warning to fellow spotters.
I'm not trying to take on the Hennepin county police. I moved on.

Just a friendly warning that spotters have been arrested in the US, not just in foreign countries.

No axe to grind, no sensationalism, just my experience being cuffed and booked while spotting at MSP

dekema2

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:58 am

BlatantEcho wrote:
Mspxm, you know the exact area where I was arrested. I was as shocked as you of course.

Why I wouldn't pursue legal action, I talked to come civil rights attorneys and they said, while I had a case, they wouldn't take it as there was a small chance to win in Hennepin county with the judges and police officers there.

Everything has been expunged, so you likely can't find anything. I thought about writing to the local papers, but honestly, why bother?

I've told quite a few peers and I tell lots of people I meet about it. They are all shocked (and have no reason to be skeptical like some of you are).

It's just a cautionary tale for spotters.

Maybe I got a bad cop on a bad day... but his supervisor wasn't better...

--
I bought another business in Minnesota last year too, not like I hate the state, but I sent staff there to finish the deal.... don't want to go back personally ever again.

Listen: I've been on a.net for 15 years. If you guys think I have the time to make up things, believe why you want.

It happened, I was there and you are not free to spot and take pictures in this country. At least in my recent experience.

I was almost involved in a similar situation today, during my first time actually spotting. A black cat crossed the road from right to left, too, right outside of the service area parking lot near where the control tower is. When I moved to a different location, I noticed the airport police pull over along the side of the road in front the lot I was parked in. As respectful, reasonable and carefree as I am, I also know that I'm non-white and might draw extra attention and scrutiny. It's not a chance I want to take considering I've never had any interaction with the police. So I left the area for the day.

KTPAFlyer

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:46 am

I also caught the attention of a TSA officer airside recently for what must have been an incredibly dubious reason, because when I asked what the problem was, I did not get an answer. He went through my phone and surprise, surprise, he found nothing. Luckily, he left me alone after that, but it definitely reminds you that the US is worse for plane spotting than most other countries of similar stature. I definitely believe that you could get harassed for a completely harmless hobby- planespotting, because I've seen it not in some hostile nation, but right here in the US; I've seen it.

groundbird

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:58 am

The grotesque music in the video's sound track shows additional poor judgement.

VSMUT

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:37 am

EA CO AS wrote:
The drone pilot community went collectively NUTS over this moron, many of them saving the video and screen shots of his face to share with the proper authorities.

It's good to know that most of the drone community is this responsible. If only media would cover that part as well, rather than just the single moron.

CocoLoco wrote:
Unrelated, but why do they have such a huge smokestack right next to the airport? Doesn't seem less dangerous than this drone... although flying a drone at this location is pure madness.

In many space constricted parts of the world, you can't really place powerplants and airports anywhere else, so you just have to make do with what you have.

In practice, it will probably be clearly marked on the approach plates and reference charts. An ILS at that point is also very tight, so there is no way a plane is going to inadvertently drift out far enough for the smokestack to be of concern. They may also have raised the minimas so that you don't descend below the height of the smokestack without being visual with it.

Of course, you don't get the same warnings with an unauthorized drone.

BlatantEcho wrote:
Just a friendly warning that spotters have been arrested in the US, not just in foreign countries.

Which has what exactly to do with illegal drone operations in close proximity to aircraft in Sde Dov?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos