Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BreezyIAH
Topic Author

VN and IR in the U.S.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:10 am

When/will it ever happen? JFK and LAX would be the obvious destinations for IR, while I imagine LAX and SFO for VN from both SGN and HAN would work..
Thoughts?

raylee67

Re: VN and IR in the U.S.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:31 am

VN has had the capabilities to fly non-stop to SFO and LAX for years, starting from the deployment of 777, then 787 and now A350. But it hasn't done so. The US-VN routes are 99% VFR traffic and low yielding VFR traffic too. Note that not all VFR traffic are low yield. You would see that CX's HKG-YYZ are mostly VFR but the business class cabin is full all the time. But most Vietnam bound VFR traffic are low yielding ones. And those passengers don't mind to connect thru HKG, TPE, NRT, ICN, etc. if it means saving $50 off a ticket. It's going to be difficult for VN. And I think it's wise for VN to not open the routes so far. If it really wants to try, it can either go with seasonal flights first, or configure a few 787 with high capacity seating.

For IR, I am not sure the current administration would allow IR to fly to USA. Also IR may face law suits immediately which threaten to seize its aircraft, if it is to fly to USA, by people who are affected by terrorist attacks before. Before the diplomatic relations between the two countries fully straighten out, I don't see IR flying to USA at all. May be Canada, but not US. And IR has a lot of other places it can restart operations to, before it has to worry about whether it can fly to JFK or LAX.

Flyingsottsman

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:26 am

I recon you will see VN long, long before IR touches down in the United States. In VN's case maybe its the competition from the other Asian carriers that stops them from flying into SFO or LAX. In IR's case not enough time has passed since the 1979 revolution and as long as Iran still considers the US as the great Satan you wont see IR in the US.

OA940

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:33 am

About IR, wait until 2020 and then we can speak again...

jfk777

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Vietnam Airlines has a great fleet of 787-9 and A350-900 planes, they suffer from the same problem Thailand has. Being so far west in Asia a 15 hour flight to LAX is not commercially viable. VN needs to make a deal with Skyteam airlines to connect over NRT and ICN. A US flight could be viable if they stop in Korea or Japan. Hoping VN does get to California.

FlyHappy

Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:08 pm

raylee67 wrote:
VN has had the capabilities to fly non-stop to SFO and LAX for years, starting from the deployment of 777, then 787 and now A350. But it hasn't done so. The US-VN routes are 99% VFR traffic and low yielding VFR traffic too. Note that not all VFR traffic are low yield. You would see that CX's HKG-YYZ are mostly VFR but the business class cabin is full all the time. But most Vietnam bound VFR traffic are low yielding ones. And those passengers don't mind to connect thru HKG, TPE, NRT, ICN, etc. if it means saving $50 off a ticket. It's going to be difficult for VN. And I think it's wise for VN to not open the routes so far. If it really wants to try, it can either go with seasonal flights first, or configure a few 787 with high capacity seating.

Interesting point about the high yield VFR CX flights. It goes to show the big difference between emigration borne of war/economic stress and the unusual scenario of the Hong Kong "diaspora". Are you able to point at another significant VFR traffic scenario that is high yielding? (I cannot)

One beef I have to pick with you (its just a tiny pet peeve) - the increase of cost to fly a direct SE Asia - NA flight is far more than $50. Most people (VFR and all) would be thrilled to eliminate a stop for a mere $50.

mercure1

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:10 pm

VN already applied for LAX service with A350s in starting in 2018.

viewtopic.php?t=1347437

Homadreaming86

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Well IR just got a new CEO and I'm sure a direct US-Iran link is not on top of her agenda at the moment. The airline is rapidly rebuilding its domestic footprint and re-entering markets it had to leave due to sanctions. They has massive orders coming but very few new planes has rolled in and it will be a slow and risky process to renew their fleet while dealing with a deeply hostile and erratic US administration as well as zig zagging around the internal politics of Iran.

I see IR entering Australia (Sydney) first and then eventually perhaps come to Canada (hands down Toronto). And don't count on either move until 2020 and beyond.

With that said things can and do change at a drop of a dime so if they did enter the US market, LAX will be a top priority eventually a JFK and ORD link could be added. The demand is very strong the politics of it's all, sadly, a lot stronger.
Last edited by Homadreaming86 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Homadreaming86

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Well IR just got a new CEO and I'm sure a direct US-Iran link is not on top of her agenda at the moment. The airline is rapidly rebuilding its domestic footprint and re-entering markets it had to leave due to sanctions. They has massive orders coming but very few new planes has rolled in and it will be a slow and risky process to renew their fleet while dealing with a deeply hostile and erratic US administration as well as zig zagging around the internal politics of Iran.

I see IR entering Australia (Sydney) first and then eventually perhaps come to Canada (hands down Toronto). And don't count on either move until 2020 and beyond.

With that said things can and do change at a drop of a dime so if they did enter the US market, LAX will be a top priority eventually a JFK and ORD link could be added. The demand is very strong the politics of it's all, sadly, a lot stronger.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos