Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

behramjee
Topic Author

Qatar Airways to add DOH-SYD-CBR from 12 Feb 18

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Qatar Airways has officially published on the GDS system that it shall be increasing its presence in Australia with the addition of a new second daily nonstop service to Sydney airport from Doha. This new flight will extend onwards to the capital city i.e. CBR-Canberra using a Boeing 777-300ER.

The new flight will be operated effective 12FEB18 and the schedule is as follows:

Days: Daily
Aircraft: B777-300ER

QR 906 Dep DOH 0810 Arr SYD 0615+1
QR 906 Dep SYD 0725 Arr CBR 0825

QR 907 Dep CBR 1345 Arr SYD 1445
QR 907 Dep SYD 1555 Arr DOH 2230

The above schedule offers good two way connections via DOH to Europe, GCC, UK and selected African points which will further spread out QR's pax demographic profile on board its SYD bound services.
Last edited by qf789 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title

RyanairGuru

Re: Qatar Airways increases Sydney frequencies

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:22 pm

As a Canberra resident I shouldn't be too surprised, the idea of Qatar flying here was always too good to be true. Basically Qatar are operating SYD-CBR-SYD at a loss just to get the second daily DOH-SYD-DOH frequency.

As soon as Australia signs a new bilateral with Qatar you can be sure that CBR will be dropped.

smi0006

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:30 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
As a Canberra resident I shouldn't be too surprised, the idea of Qatar flying here was always too good to be true. Basically Qatar are operating SYD-CBR-SYD at a loss just to get the second daily DOH-SYD-DOH frequency.

As soon as Australia signs a new bilateral with Qatar you can be sure that CBR will be dropped.

Yeah I confess this is disappointing - but well played to QR. Although I though I thought they would have had the MEL market more primed for expansion. Interesting they feel they need SYD so much - how much will CBR loose!

Whilst it seems uncompetitive, for CBR residents I'd much rather clear in and outbound customs and Biosecurity in CBR than SYD/MEL - can take 45-1.5hrs anyway in peak period. Inbound from DOH pax will have to clear transit security, outbound from CBR will they?

CBR tag could stay, but CBR airport will be offering some heavy discounts I suspect, as ACT tourism will be no doubting trying to win some love. Ok the flip side maybe this will help them build a presence and brand in CBR to one day decouple the route.

CBR - SYD must be one of the worlds shortest 773ER routes?

chiraagnt

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 am

behramjee wrote:
Qatar Airways has officially published on the GDS system that it shall be increasing its presence in Australia with the addition of a new second daily nonstop service to Sydney airport from Doha. This new flight will extend onwards to the capital city i.e. CBR-Canberra using a Boeing 777-300ER.

The new flight will be operated effective 12FEB18 and the schedule is as follows:

Days: Daily
Aircraft: B777-300ER

QR 906 Dep DOH 0810 Arr SYD 0615+1
QR 906 Dep SYD 0725 Arr CBR 0825

QR 907 Dep CBR 1345 Arr SYD 1445
QR 907 Dep SYD 1555 Arr DOH 2230

The above schedule offers good two way connections via DOH to Europe, GCC, UK and selected African points which will further spread out QR's pax demographic profile on board its SYD bound services.

I was of the opinion that QR might be competitive and add an A350 service direct to DOH, giving CBR residents a proper one stop efficient European service as well since the current SQ operation to SIN is more tailored for Asian and London/Frankfurt connections. Out of curiosity and slightly off topic, do many connect onto SQ's direct SFO flight as well or has Qantas/VA cornered the CBR-USA market. I would think a fair few passengers used SQ from Perth to connect in SIN onwards to SFO, but does the same hold true for CBR?

EK413

Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:42 am

Great news for CBR passengers wishing to avoid the Sydney transit experience. :)

QR is certainly ramping up SYD going from daily B77W to A380 & now double daily whilst MEL only recently received some love.

EK413

bunumuring

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:16 am

Hey guys,
Any chance that they will be selling tickets fifth-freedom style Canberra-Sydney and return? I fancy a true business class trip between the two with a stopover in Sydney (Rydges, anyone?) before returning the next day! And yeah, the 777 will fly directly over my little bit of paradise half way between the two!
On second thoughts ... if I catch the 777 FROM Sydney, I can use a biz lounge there before the flight, can't I? Hmmmm... and stay at the new Vibe Hotel at Canberra Airport...
Cheers
Bunumuring

qf789

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:33 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Any chance that they will be selling tickets fifth-freedom style Canberra-Sydney and return? I fancy a true business class trip between the two with a stopover in Sydney (Rydges, anyone?) before returning the next day! And yeah, the 777 will fly directly over my little bit of paradise half way between the two!
On second thoughts ... if I catch the 777 FROM Sydney, I can use a biz lounge there before the flight, can't I? Hmmmm... and stay at the new Vibe Hotel at Canberra Airport...
Cheers
Bunumuring

No chance at all

And before you ask, Qatar won't be able to sell the leg between Sydney and Canberra for domestic flights.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airways- ... ruary-2018

Obzerva

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:32 pm

[list=][/list]Def not traffic rights for the domestic leg, let's look at recent examples
HX can't sell OOL-CNS
MI can't sell DRW-CNS
CX can't sell BNE-CNS, and never sold ADL-MEL
UA didn't sell MEL-SYD

Edit: forgot about PR on BNE-DRW, and for about 30secs PER-DRW if I remember correctly.

acentauri

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:18 am

FINALLY- A reasonable (2Hr/3Hr) PHL SYD Connection. HOWEVER, for almost double the J fare, compared to the alternative 13 Hour connection. Still it's about $1K less than BA. Except for the $. I'm happy. Now QR do the same for PHL-DEL.

MiddleEastMike

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 am

RyanairGuru wrote:

Haven't they also started this route to remove the high parking charges at SYD? Without the CBR tag, the aircraft is on the ground for some time?

Mike

Obzerva

Re: Qatar Airways to add DOH-SYD-CBR from 12 Feb 18

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:35 am

So what's QR's next move if the bilateral remains unchanged?
DOH-MEL-HBA?
DOH-DRW-BNE?

qf789

Re: Qatar Airways to add DOH-SYD-CBR from 12 Feb 18

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 am

Obzerva wrote:
So what's QR's next move if the bilateral remains unchanged?
DOH-MEL-HBA?
DOH-DRW-BNE?

No additional services are currently permitted under the bilateral to SYD, MEL, BNE & PER. They could only operate direct services to DRW, CNS, OOL etc

Under the bilateral it reads as following

AVAILABLE CAPACITY:

PASSENGER CAPACITY:

To/from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth:

21 frequencies in each direction per week with any aircraft type

In addition , a total of seven (7) frequencies per week with any aircraft type between Qatar and Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth provided such services operate via or beyond to a point in Australia other than Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.

To/from any point in Australia other than Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth:

Unrestricted frequencies with any aircraft type.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/ ... 180717.pdf

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos