Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QuawerAir
Topic Author

Where will Hainan fly to in Europe next?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:33 am

Hainan Airlines announced today (on 21 July 2017, routesonline) the launch of Beijing - Prague - Belgrade route. The Chinese carrier has also planned to add additional frequencies to Europe.

In addition, Hainan Airlines is planning on adding an additional 13 Boeing 787-9 in the future.

Where will be Hainan Airlines' next European destination?

SCQ83

Re: Where will Hainan fly to in Europe next?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:53 am

Some thoughts:

- Bologna (longer shot)
- Lyon
- Málaga
- Nice
- Stuttgart
- Venice

I think any of those cities could have flights with China, considering Chinese tourism in those countries.

User001

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:58 am

I know they intend on launching MAN-CAN, so, maybe some other CAN Europe routes too.

chrisp390

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 am

I heard PEK-DUB was imminent.

QuawerAir
Topic Author

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 am

Maybe these?

PEK-HEL
PVG-HEL

PEK-BCN
PVG-BCN

PEK-MAD
PVG-MAD

PEK-FCO
PVG-FCO

CAN-MAN?
Flights to LHR?

Also flights from Xi'an, Chongqing and Guangzhou are possible.

ilari

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:02 am

QuawerAir wrote:
Maybe these?

PEK-HEL
PVG-HEL

PEK-BCN
PVG-BCN

PEK-MAD
PVG-MAD

PEK-FCO
PVG-FCO

CAN-MAN?
Flights to LHR?

LHR might not have slots.

David_itl

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:04 am

But LHR might have airlines willing to sell slots.

behramjee

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:13 am

Hainan should not fly CAN-Europe as its low yielding and very low in P2P volume demand. Their EU strategy should be focused around PEK and PVG only plus they should not expand aggressively until they move their core operations to the new mega Beijing Capital airport in 2019 as from there, they can finally offer a good hub and spoke service connecting domestic China + East Asia in both directions.

As far as expansion to EU is concerned, once they move into the new airport in 2019, yes PEK-DUB + PEK-Spain are good options for the B789.

David_itl

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:18 am

Whilst Air China holds onto the PVG-MAN rights and doesn't want to relinquish them, based on their results on PEK-MAN they are after the the "next best" route they can offer out of MAN. XIY-MAN wouldn't surprise me eventually.

VolvoBus

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:46 am

Slightly off-topic but still relevant.

About 2 weeks ago,the Daily Telegraph had an article in the finance section on the Chinese banking system. It stated that the Finance Ministry (or similar body ) was reviewing several industrial groups that had made major expansions in a short space of time, using borrowed money, and whether a collapse of one would have a systemic impact on the banking system. Hainan Group was mentioned by name.

If the Group is carrying so much debt that the Government is concerned, maybe Hainan's expansion might slow significantly.

DLHAM

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:31 am

I hope for PVG or PEK-HAM as HAM still completely lacks a far east flight, and the demand definitely is there. Anyone knows the situation of traffic rights between China and Germany?

r2rho

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:12 am

Hadn't they invested in HHN? Then HHN to whereever could make sense, but they would have to be really cheap to compete with all the flights out of FRA.
I hope for PVG or PEK-HAM as HAM still completely lacks a far east flight, and the demand definitely is there.

Agree and if HAM is ever going to get longhaul, it will be from an "unconventional" airline like DY, or Hainan.
And while we're talking of HHN and HAM... they could invest in LBC, expand the runway and fly from there...

eicvd

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:38 am

chrisp390 wrote:

Fingers crossed!

hynithuchi

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:13 pm

According to a comment by PhilInBRN on 8th JUN in the Swiss Aviation thread, Hainan has applied for 3 weekly flights between Shenhzen and ZRH. In April, a Swiss travel site also reported that Hainan had requested permission to operate 3 weekly flights PVG-ZRH. So, whatever it is going to be, ZRH is definitely on Hainan's short list, despite the failure of their earlier PEK-ZRH operation.

lesfalls

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
Hainan Airlines announced today (on 21 July 2017, routesonline) the launch of Beijing - Prague - Belgrade route. The Chinese carrier has also planned to add additional frequencies to Europe.

In addition, Hainan Airlines is planning on adding an additional 13 Boeing 787-9 in the future.

Is BUD-PRG 5th freedom?

Cunard

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:19 pm

r2rho wrote:
Hadn't they invested in HHN? Then HHN to whereever could make sense, but they would have to be really cheap to compete with all the flights out of FRA.
I hope for PVG or PEK-HAM as HAM still completely lacks a far east flight, and the demand definitely is there.

Agree and if HAM is ever going to get longhaul, it will be from an "unconventional" airline like DY, or Hainan.
And while we're talking of HHN and HAM... they could invest in LBC, expand the runway and fly from there...

Why would Hainan even consider investing in LBC when there is HAM within an hours drive, Lubeck currently has no commercial airlines operating from the airport and would need considerable investment for any long haul flights which to be honest will never happen.

SeaDoo

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:29 pm

lesfalls wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:

Is BUD-PRG 5th freedom?

This doesn't answer your question, but BUD is Budapest. Hainan is doing Belgrade.

by738

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Wheres this EDI service 'almost imminent' ?

Breathe

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:53 pm

chrisp390 wrote:

There was a press report that EDI could also be a tag-on to this route.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 36785.html

A long-awaited deal on a direct flight to China could be concluded within weeks.

The Sunday Independent has learned senior executives from Hainan, the Chinese airline, are due to hold talks in Dublin next month about a potential Dublin-Beijing route that would also encompass Edinburgh on a twice weekly schedule.

VolvoBus

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:02 pm

DLHAM wrote:
I hope for PVG or PEK-HAM as HAM still completely lacks a far east flight, and the demand definitely is there. Anyone knows the situation of traffic rights between China and Germany?

I love these geographically vague suggestions.

HAM may have enough demand to the Far East, but lack of any flight suggests that sufficient demand to one particular city does not exist. Quoting PVG or PEK suggests there is not even sufficient demand to 1 city in China. I wonder how many people would take China as their first choice for a plane change if they were travelling to Tokyo,Seoul or Hong Kong.

lesfalls

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:08 pm

SeaDoo wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:

Is BUD-PRG 5th freedom?

This doesn't answer your question, but BUD is Budapest. Hainan is doing Belgrade.

My apologies meant to say BEG.

TheGeordielad

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:08 pm

by738 wrote:

Not to do with Hainan but china eastern released some new possible routes and I saw it in another thread but PVG-EDI was said in the picture of new possible routes.

TheGeordielad

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:11 pm

DUB is likely
How about Nice,Milan,Barcelona or Lisbon.

QuawerAir
Topic Author

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:10 pm

TheGeordielad wrote:
by738 wrote:

Not to do with Hainan but china eastern released some new possible routes and I saw it in another thread but PVG-EDI was said in the picture of new possible routes.

What are the other possible routes? What's the name of that thread?

JoKeR

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:40 pm

lesfalls wrote:
SeaDoo wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
Is BUD-PRG 5th freedom?

My apologies meant to say BEG.

Yes they got traffic rights and will compete with JU on the route twice per week:

HU7937
PEK0140 – 0600PRG0750 – 0920BEG 333 15
HU7938
BEG1110 – 1245PRG1435 – 0555+1PEK 333 15

HU7937
PEK0140 – 0600PRG0750 – 0920BEG 333 15
HU7938
BEG1110 – 1245PRG1435 – 0555+1PEK 333 15

A recent HU statement says that BEG will go non-stop from S18 with increase in frequencies.

DLHAM

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:04 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
DLHAM wrote:

HAM may have enough demand to the Far East, but lack of any flight suggests that sufficient demand to one particular city does not exist. Quoting PVG or PEK suggests there is not even sufficient demand to 1 city in China. I wonder how many people would take China as their first choice for a plane change if they were travelling to Tokyo,Seoul or Hong Kong.

Annual market size from HAM to PEK is 31.000 passengers, to Shanghai (sister city of Hamburg) 43.000 passengers. Growing. Business traffic: 43% respective 57% to PVG. Without a nonstop. I am sure some secondary cities already served had less traffic on the route before direct flights started.

TheGeordielad

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:16 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
Maybe these?

PEK-HEL
PVG-HEL

PEK-BCN
PVG-BCN

PEK-MAD
PVG-MAD

PEK-FCO
PVG-FCO

CAN-MAN?
Flights to LHR?

Air China does BCN-PEK/PVG FCO-PEK MAD-PEK
China Eastern does FCO-PVG MAD-PVG
Helsinki flights could happen
LHR flights are possible if they get slots just not PEK,PVG and CAN
These services can not happen due to one airline (only Chinese) per long haul route.

VolvoBus

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:39 am

DLHAM wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:
DLHAM wrote:

Annual market size from HAM to PEK is 31.000 passengers, to Shanghai (sister city of Hamburg) 43.000 passengers. Growing. Business traffic: 43% respective 57% to PVG. Without a nonstop. I am sure some secondary cities already served had less traffic on the route before direct flights started.

Hats off - you have produced figures to back your argument. Everybody has been talking about service from major Western cities to secondary Chinese - now the boot is on the other foot.

VRHNM

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:19 am

HNA recently got cut off by a few American banks as well as pinned as a target for investigation in both the US and in the EU. China's recent clamp-down on massive outbound investment of mainland firms could potentially affect HNA's financial health and growth of airlines under HNA (i.e. HU, HX etc).

Take into account of Guo Wengui's increasingly frequent release of information of the inner connections within HNA involving Wang Qishan, I really doubt that this company will stay stable in the long term.

They could launch a few more routes but after that I wouldn't expect to see much more expansion.

OA940

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:20 am

A flight to ATH or LCA? Both have many Chinese tourists in the summer, and Air China already has flights to ATH which I think are to be made non-stop. Tbh I'm surprised that ATH doesn't have more flights to China.

NZ321

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:16 pm

I would think VCE is quite possible - maybe seasonal

Channex757

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:30 pm

One problem with people mentioning PVG is the slots issue. The airport is slot constrained (badly) and that makes it tough for any new service to get them at the right times for a flight heading west.

Beijing Capital is bad but Shanghai Pudong is apparently at Heathrow levels of congestion or beyond. Opening a new route might entail someone giving up another frequency and that's not always desirable or even possible. The same applies to any service to or from LHR, where slot pairs can be traded for upwards of fifty million quid or more.