tcfc424
Topic Author

AUS picks up DL TATL for SXSW

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:56 pm

Delta has announced that it will be running non-stop flights between Austin and Amsterdam to coincide with the SXSW (South By South West) music/film/tech festival. Great news for Austin, but I'm curious if this could be a precursor to Delta adding more service to Austin (not necessarily INTL) once the 9-gate expansion is completed?

Cubsrule

Re: AUS picks up DL TATL for SXSW

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:00 pm

I don't know that it's quite apples to apples, but the LAS-NRT flights for CES that DL has run for several years have not led to additional long-haul flying ex-LAS.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:00 pm

I wouldnt be surprised to see Delta add summer 2018 seasonal service. They see the great results BA is having they could feed into those connecting passengers.

gatibosgru

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Would this be on an A330 or 767?
@mbl06

atcsundevil
Crew

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
Would this be on an A330 or 767?

B767-400, according to the OAG thread.
Forum Moderator

tcfc424
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:25 pm

The news artical on KXAN.com referenced 763

Sightseer

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:34 pm

Delta has been quietly growing its destination count from AUS the past few years, with new service to LAX, SEA, BOS, and RDU. Of course, at this point that likely says more about its ambitions for those other markets than it does for AUS, but space permitting (which I know doesn't currently exist), I could see DL being interested in expanding there. It's a growing tech market in an area of the country that doesn't overlap with any other DL hub. That said, I could also see other airlines with a larger presence there than DL also wanting to expand.

TransWorldOne

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

I know this flight only operates for a couple weeks, but it's amazing to see how much TATL service AUS has garnered especially when you consider just a few years ago the city had never seen any transoceanic service. I do wonder if SAT, which is 80 miles to the SW, will ever see any kind of TO service. It's got to be frustrating to see your smaller neighboring city gain so many "prestigious" flights.

MAH4546

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:51 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
I know this flight only operates for a couple weeks, but it's amazing to see how much TATL service AUS has garnered especially when you consider just a few years ago the city had never seen any transoceanic service. I do wonder if SAT, which is 80 miles to the SW, will ever see any kind of TO service. It's got to be frustrating to see your smaller neighboring city gain so many "prestigious" flights.

"A couple of weeks" is a gross overstatement.

It is literally operating twice. That's it. And airlines are no stranger to adding service to cities for big conferences, events, etc., including Delta.
a.

Shields

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:01 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

It is literally operating twice. That's it. And airlines are no stranger to adding service to cities for big conferences, events, etc., including Delta.

Actually, it is literally operating four times in each direction. Dates from AUS-AMS as follows:
March 8, 2018
March 9, 2018
March 14, 2018
March 18, 2018.

factsonly

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
the LAS-NRT flights for CES that DL has run for several years have not led to additional long-haul flying ex-LAS.

It has resulted in two additional DL LAS long-haul routes, but only during CES:

- LAS-CDG
- LAS-AMS

factsonly

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Shields wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

Actually, it is literally operating four times in each direction. Dates from AUS-AMS as follows:
March 8, 2018
March 9, 2018
March 14, 2018
March 18, 2018.

Flights are actually operated from AMS to AUS and back, by B763 aircraft that are parked at AMS.
During W17 two B763 routes EWR-AMS and JFK-AMS are less than daily, so these B763 are over 24 hrs on ground at AMS and now used for this AUS service.

SATexan

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:

Being a resident of SAT, I can tell you that we are for the most part very practical about our chances at getting TA service. Hence you won't see a monthly "When will SAT get a flight to Europe' thread on A.net!
The international community in San Antonio is vastly Mexico oriented. There is some traffic to Germany but that in itself isn't sufficient to launch a route. Traffic to Asia(Korea, Japan, India) isn't burgeoning like it has happened in Austin. The runways are also not long enough. The airport officials aren't aggressive enough and atleast I haven't heard of any incentives being floated around to entice carriers. So, we are just happy for now if we can get someone to add flights to DCA, BOS, RDU and PDX. More frequencies on UA/DL to NYC would be nice.

Besides, San Antonio's forte is Military, Cyber Security and defense contractors. This is the type of traffic that will never use Condor, Norwegian or a seasonal special flight to AMS. It's good that AUS is getting all this service, but outside of BA the new additions don't benefit the SAT TA passengers much. I am not sure how much they even benefit the tech traffic out of AUS.

There is a saying here: If you die and want to go heaven you still have to change flights in Dallas or Houston. That's pretty much sums it up!

thomasphoto60

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:48 pm

SATexan wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
There is a saying here: If you die and want to go heaven you still have to change flights in Dallas or Houston. That's pretty much sums it up!

Actually, the saying is "If you are going to Heaven or Hell, you've got to change planes in Atlanta, first.." but as it is a Texas thread, I get it.
"Show me the Braniffs"

24Whiskey

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:52 pm

The reality is that AUS and SAT serve much of the same population. Many will drive to the other for a better deal.

AUS is better positioned for this since a good chunk of San Antonio is little more than an hour away. That can't be said for the Round Rock-Georgetown area north of Austin if one were to drive to SAT.

I don't see further DL growth at AUS until the terminal expansion is complete. Gates 3-5 get pretty crazy around midday and towards the evening before the LHR departure.

24Whiskey

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Sightseer wrote:
Delta has been quietly growing its destination count from AUS the past few years, with new service to LAX, SEA, BOS, and RDU.

It would be interesting to see how many DL outstations have all the "dots" connected like AUS. Is there one? MCO?

klm617

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:34 pm

This is really no big deal really four flights two weekends next year doesn't really warrant this much attention.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:38 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I wouldnt be surprised to see Delta add summer 2018 seasonal service. They see the great results BA is having they could feed into those connecting passengers.

LOL OMG now AUS is the new JFK. DFW can't even maintain seasonal service to AMS and you speculate that DL will add AUS-AMS
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

CarlosSi

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 pm

First post! Been a lurker for a long time...

I imagine the routes maybe be much lighter on the outbound leg to Amsterdam at the beginning of SXSW, and vice versa on the two latter flights since the attention is at Austin, not Amsterdam.

But, stating the obvious when I say that many Austinites will take advantage of this flight to get out of town, especially during Spring Break.
KAUStinite

cvgComair

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:43 pm

24Whiskey wrote:
Sightseer wrote:
Delta has been quietly growing its destination count from AUS the past few years, with new service to LAX, SEA, BOS, and RDU.

It would be interesting to see how many DL outstations have all the "dots" connected like AUS. Is there one? MCO?

MCO, FLL, and BNA have service to all DL's hubs + RDU, not sure there are any more. AUS is missing CVG, so it does not completely connect all of the dots. I feel like DL will eventually go for the CVG-AUS route, though their CVG-IAH/DFW service probably has kept them from adding it.
Next: CMH-BOS, Delta Air Lines E170
A319/320/332, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340

tcfc424
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Some of you all should really chill out...if something like this is not interesting to you...move along and read about something else that DOES interest you. I made the title very specific, then asked a general question. There had been discussion several years ago of Delta ramping up Austin, and I was simply curious if there might be something more. No one said it would be the next JFK, or even a hub for that matter. In reality, the best Austin can hope for on that front would be focus city status. I think that the comparisons between AUS and SAT are very interesting as well. Additionally, when you live in Austin, during SXSW, you are usually either all-in or all-out. Many of us flee anywhere we can to avoid the crowds, traffic, congestion, and higher prices that come with hosting a major festival.

klakzky123

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:08 am

klm617 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

LOL OMG now AUS is the new JFK. DFW can't even maintain seasonal service to AMS and you speculate that DL will add AUS-AMS

Big difference when DL can offer connections through AMS while AA can't. The KLM flight was only seasonal and I'm not sure what local business traffic it ever received. Made more sense just moving it to a DL hub (which is what ended up happening)

With that said, I highly doubt Austin will keep an AMS flight beyond SXSW.

flyfresno

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:16 am

24Whiskey wrote:
Sightseer wrote:

Just ones I can think of, I'm sure there are more...

RDU: Technically not considered a hub: All hubs, plus CDG, CUN, SJU, MCO, CLE, CMH, FLL, BDL, IND, PHL, TPA, DCA, MIA, RSW (some seasonal).
LAS: All hubs but BOS, plus SJC, SAN, SNA, and seasonal HNL, plus a few Europe flights for a couple weeks.
MCO: All hubs plus MIA, GRU, CUN, BDL, MCI, BNA, RDU, CMH, BHM, IND, CLE, GRR, SDF, MEM, MKE, PIT, STL, DCA (many seasonal).
CUN: All hubs, plus BWI, CMH, BDL, IND, MCI, MKE, BNA, MSY, MCO, PIT, RDU, TPA, IAD (many seasonal).
HNL: ATL, LAX, MSP, SEA, SLC, plus NGO, FUK, KIX, NRT, LAS, PDX, SFO (some seasonal).

So, AUS has a little way still to go to catch up...

flyingclrs727

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:30 am

Sightseer wrote:
Delta has been quietly growing its destination count from AUS the past few years, with new service to LAX, SEA, BOS, and RDU. Of course, at this point that likely says more about its ambitions for those other markets than it does for AUS, but space permitting (which I know doesn't currently exist), I could see DL being interested in expanding there. It's a growing tech market in an area of the country that doesn't overlap with any other DL hub. That said, I could also see other airlines with a larger presence there than DL also wanting to expand.

I wish they would fly some some ERJ's or turboprops between AUS and smaller markets in South Texas. It would be a great way to return to cities they have up when they abandoned their hub at DFW.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos