720B
Topic Author

Is Avianca thinking of leaving Venezuela?

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:25 pm

The link below (in Spanish only) says the Airline has not taken a decision yet, and that for the time being flights will operate as usual (now, I don't know how reliable that pulzo.com website is. In this age of fake news I guess anything is possible)

http://www.pulzo.com/economia/avianca-c ... a/PP306001

MalevTU134

Re: Is Avianca thinking of leaving Venezuela?

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:56 pm

That article shows an official press release from AV that says that the rumours of them leaving Venezuela from NOV 30th are "NOT true"...

SonOfABeech

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 pm

Avianca and Copa are making bank on what traffic remains. I think it would take an all-out conflict for them to withdraw.

MalevTU134

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:53 pm

SonOfABeech wrote:
Avianca and Copa are making bank on what traffic remains. I think it would take an all-out conflict for them to withdraw.

Absolutely agree. There's no indication of anything else than that both are making good money in Venezuela. Both have started routes from outside of their "home" country to Venezuela in the last year or so, something they wouldn't do if their BOG and PTY flights, respectively, were hemorrhaging money.

readytotaxi

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:59 pm

I think the problem is with airlines being able to get their money out of the country.Great if you can make it not so good if you can not spend it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/airlines ... SL1N1J10IN
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

MalevTU134

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:14 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
I think the problem is with airlines being able to get their money out of the country.Great if you can make it not so good if you can not spend it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/airlines ... SL1N1J10IN

Sorry but you are wrong. Please read through the recent threads on Venezuela here, and you will see (among other details) that those losses are historical, and in some cases (AA) even written off. No foreign airlines are selling tickets in Venezuela, and haven't been doing so for the last 2-3 years, so that would not be a reason to cancel service to Venezuela.

It is not enough to have read a few articles about Venezuela to understand the situation. It is far more complex than that. Please don't take this personally, as you are far from being the only one here to argue the government debt to airlines along with the safety risk for crews as major factors for airlines' decisions today on whether to stay in, or leave, Venezuela. Those factors have nothing to do with it. At least not the debts...

readytotaxi

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 pm

thank you, this is confusing.
So can you define the problem with outside airlines please?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

MalevTU134

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:51 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
thank you, this is confusing.
So can you define the problem with outside airlines please?

It's money of course, as almost always. But not historic losses, but prospects of future profits. Traffic volume to and from Venezuela has fallen sharply in the last year or so.

Hava a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1364867&start=150

Especially my post towards the end (maybe the 4th or 5th from the end...I can't find a way to link straight to a certain post) that explains the main reason to the decline. The whole thread is interesting, but as I said, I suggest you ignore the posts from people who claim it's for the losses due to the currency exchange problems or for the security of the crews, just because they read an article about Venezuela in the New York Times or something and claim to understand the situation.

I am an expat in Venezuela, working in an industry closely related to the local airline business, so my observations and conclusions come from the horse's mouth, most of the time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos