Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

uta999
Topic Author

LGW - main runway closed by burst tyre on TO

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:27 pm

LGW are using 08L at the moment due to burst tyre on take off.

uta999
Topic Author

Re: LGW - main runway closed by burst tyre on TO

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:30 pm

uta999 wrote:

Some inbounds diverting to Luton, Southend, LHR, Birmingham and Cardiff

uta999
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:36 pm

uta999 wrote:
uta999 wrote:

Some inbounds diverting to Luton, Southend, LHR, Birmingham and Cardiff

A lot of flights were holding at London Gatwick due to Air Canada Rouge Boeing 767 flight #RV1925 to Toronto burst a tyre on takeoff.

PatrickZ80

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:21 pm

I wonder, why don't they use the second runway? It's usually a taxiway, but can be used as a runway.

vatveng

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:23 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I wonder, why don't they use the second runway? It's usually a taxiway, but can be used as a runway.

First post:

uta999 wrote:

They are using it.

flyPIT

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 pm

.... which is why LGW is not a true single runway airport. Real single runway airports such as SAN, STN, LTN don't have this "luxury" when their runway is unusable.

dibble777

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:41 pm

If I am not mistaken, the northern taxiway that feeds 8L is too close to 8L and does not allow two wide bodied aircraft to pass each other without possibly clipping their wings together. So for landing or departing wide bodies, the taxi way has to be clear of other wide bodied aircraft, which further restricts aircraft movement.

AirbusA343

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Didn't know they were using it. When I checked FR24 every movement seemed to be halted.

ChrisKen

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 pm

flyPIT wrote:
.... which is why LGW is not a true single runway airport. Real single runway airports such as SAN, STN, LTN don't have this "luxury" when their runway is unusable.

It's a single runway airport.
They just have a large taxiway that can act as a backup. They cannot be used together, ever, period.

Using the Northern runway causes mayhem, as a rows of the remote stands (and some of south term stands iirc) cannot be used during these ops. Hence some of the diverts.

flyPIT

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:43 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
They just have a large taxiway that can act as a backup. They cannot be used together, ever, period.

Using the Northern runway causes mayhem, as a rows of the remote stands (and some of south term stands iirc) cannot be used during these ops. Hence some of the diverts.

I don't care if they can't be used together, my point still stands even with the restrictions.

XLA2008

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:00 pm

flyPIT wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:

I don't care if they can't be used together, my point still stands even with the restrictions.

Your point doesn't stand at all... Gatwick Airport only ever runs a single runway operation at all times, doesn't matter if they have a second runway (which is rarely rarely ever used as a runway) it can still only operate daily schedules on a single runway! They don't rotate between the two, so Gatwick is still a single runway operational Airport. If they rotatated operations between the two then it wouldn't be a single runway operation!

flyPIT

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:11 pm

XLA2008 wrote:
Your point doesn't stand at all... Gatwick Airport only ever runs a single runway operation at all times, doesn't matter if they have a second runway (which is rarely rarely ever used as a runway) it can still only operate daily schedules on a single runway! They don't rotate between the two, so Gatwick is still a single runway operational Airport. If they rotatated operations between the two then it wouldn't be a single runway operation!

Unlike the other airports I listed, when LGW's main runway is unusable it still has the ability to accept aircraft. It continues to function as an airport, albeit at a much reduced capacity. Again, the true single runway airports don't have this benefit.

XLA2008 wrote:
... they have a second runway....

Thank you. And yes, it does matter as we see today. Why should irregular operations not be part of the equation for this topic?

LondonCity

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:15 pm

The delays at LGW continue into the night.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transpor ... 89936.html

PlymSpotter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Whilst LGW can only ever be operated as a single runway airport, it does have two fully certified pieces of tarmac which can be used as runways. It's a very grey area and depending on how you look at it, there isn't really a right or a wrong answer. Is it one runway in two physical locations, or two runways which can't be used together.

aemoreira1981

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:39 pm

LondonCity wrote:
The delays at LGW continue into the night.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transpor ... 89936.html

DY7015 is showing a 5-hour delay into JFK and BA2273 is showing a 1-hour delay (into my home airport, these are the two daily flights from Gatwick).

ro1960

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:12 pm

And the Airports Commission gave the green light for an additional runway at LHR only...

aerolimani

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:59 pm

It was Air Canada Rouge, AC1925, a B763ER, C-FMLV. Currently, it is scheduled to depart LGW for YVR at 12:00 local time on July 18, as AC1935.

gunnerman

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:19 pm

08L/26R is Gatwick's stand-by runway, meaning that it's a secondary runway used only when the main runway (08R/26L) is not available for use. Gatwick’s main and stand-by runways are too close together to be used at the same time, so the stand-by runway is usually used as a taxiway.

Note that Gatwick Airport Ltd does not refer to the stand-by runway as a "second runway" as this is a term which they use in their case for constructing an additional runway "south of existing runway".

scbriml

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:42 am

dibble777 wrote:
If I am not mistaken, the northern taxiway that feeds 8L is too close to 8L and does not allow two wide bodied aircraft to pass each other without possibly clipping their wings together. So for landing or departing wide bodies, the taxi way has to be clear of other wide bodied aircraft, which further restricts aircraft movement.

Sorry, but I just don't believe that. :shakehead:

The runway centre lines are 200m apart. The two closest runway edges are 150m apart. Even with two A380s right on the edge of both runways there would still be 70m+ clearance between wingtips.

emiratesdriver

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:57 am

scbriml wrote:
dibble777 wrote:

The runway centre lines are 200m apart. The two closest runway edges are 150m apart. Even with two A380s right on the edge of both runways there would still be 70m+ clearance between wingtips.

Which is below the minimum obstacle and obstruction clearance, and hence when you vacate 26L or 08R you cross 26R or 08L to join taxiway Juliet, it's been that way for the 20 years I've operated in and out (and was based at one point)
The only time you will see aircraft on the parallel is when 08R is in use and that's thanks to the 08R displaced threshold, which allows departures to hold west of taxiway Golf.

BartSimpson

scbriml wrote:
dibble777 wrote:

Scbriml,

I think he's talking of the distance between northern taxiway (Juliet) and northernmost runway (08L / 26R). According to Google Earth, the centerline distance between them is 100 m. However you are right with the distance between the two runways.
Last edited by BartSimpson on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

speedbored

scbriml wrote:
dibble777 wrote:

dibble777 was referring to the separation between the northern (alternate) runway and the taxiway. Centre-line to centre-line, these are only around 100m apart.

scbriml

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:13 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
I think he's talking of the distance between northern taxiway (Juliet) and northernmost runway (08L / 26R).

speedbored wrote:
dibble777 was referring to the separation between the northern (alternate) runway and the taxiway.

Yeah, my bad. :oops:

Apologies dibble777, I misread your post.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos