DfwAussie
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:28 pm

GatorClark wrote:
Let me ask this question because it is going over my head (no pun intended)... Why would anyone WANT to start Europe to BNA? I mean we are talking Nashville TENNESSEE right? What is the appeal? As far as I know, Nashville's only real claim to fame is being the Country Music capitol of the world which is a small niche even here in the US..


Your ignorance is showing.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:38 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
BNA is a connecting hub so that helps explain its higher numbers. But I agree BNA is due for European service.


Connecting hub for whom? WN? AA? DL?

WN.


Getting back to the topic of European service, I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that when BNA does land a Europe flight, one or more additional will follow. Just like what happened in AUS, SJC, PIT, MSY, etc.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:07 pm

flyPIT wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
BNA is a connecting hub so that helps explain its higher numbers. But I agree BNA is due for European service.


Connecting hub for whom? WN? AA? DL?

WN.


Getting back to the topic of European service, I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that when BNA does land a Europe flight, one or more additional will follow. Just like what happened in AUS, SJC, PIT, MSY, etc.

Exactly. A network carrier (European, most probably BA; no way will one of the US3 start this, not being a hub for any of them), followed by a Norwegian to LGW tit-for-tat à la AUS. But honestly, I think it will take at least 2 years. Both have bigger fish to fry.
Last edited by MalevTU134 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:10 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
finnishway wrote:

Country is the most popular music genre in the US. Nashville is one of the fastest growing cities in the US.

Answer to the original post is when the new international "terminal" is ready. BA will be the airline.

Something big to be announced later this year said BNA officials last week.


The "big" announcement is probably Allegiant coming to town. Or they will go all out and land MSY service on GLO.

BNA will have to wait to see how other markets' new TATL service is doing first. It will happen, just not yet.


Honestly, I'm surprised Allegiant isn't there already.

But back to the main topic, if MSY and RDU can support a LHR flight on BA and AA respectively, there is no reason why Nashville can't. Nashville now has more traffic than both of those airports.


RDU is a very different area than BNA. They have a lot more corporations (tech and pharma) and universities with US bases there. Twenty percent of all RDU travelers are international bound. There is a reason that RDU has had LON service for over two decades. You have to look beyond the passenger counts when making those assumptions.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:18 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

The "big" announcement is probably Allegiant coming to town. Or they will go all out and land MSY service on GLO.

BNA will have to wait to see how other markets' new TATL service is doing first. It will happen, just not yet.


Honestly, I'm surprised Allegiant isn't there already.

But back to the main topic, if MSY and RDU can support a LHR flight on BA and AA respectively, there is no reason why Nashville can't. Nashville now has more traffic than both of those airports.


RDU is a very different area than BNA. They have a lot more corporations (tech and pharma) and universities with US bases there. Twenty percent of all RDU travelers are international bound. There is a reason that RDU has had LON service for over two decades. You have to look beyond the passenger counts when making those assumptions.

You are absolutely correct.

That flight, unless it has changed recently, is partly guaranteed by one of the major pharmaceutical companies in the RDU area. That is the specific reason why that flight has been around for 2 decades. Just like CLT-MUC is guaranteed by BMW (the car maker) to connect their factory in the area with HQ in Munich. None of those flights are comparable to anything in AUS, MSY, PIT, BNA or what have you.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Aesma wrote:
Aren't there some numbers for people flying between BNA and cities in Europe so we can see what the potential demand is ?


2013 is closest info we have and it doesn't include IND or CLE
London
1.STL
2.HNL
3.BNA
4.MCI

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=599DD953
ATL BWI BOS CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DTW FLL RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP BNA EWR HVN MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Aren't there some numbers for people flying between BNA and cities in Europe so we can see what the potential demand is ?


2013 is closest info we have and it doesn't include IND or CLE
London
1.STL
2.HNL
3.BNA
4.MCI

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=599DD953

Don't worry, the airlines have much more recent and detailed statistics ;)
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:45 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Honestly, I'm surprised Allegiant isn't there already.

But back to the main topic, if MSY and RDU can support a LHR flight on BA and AA respectively, there is no reason why Nashville can't. Nashville now has more traffic than both of those airports.


RDU is a very different area than BNA. They have a lot more corporations (tech and pharma) and universities with US bases there. Twenty percent of all RDU travelers are international bound. There is a reason that RDU has had LON service for over two decades. You have to look beyond the passenger counts when making those assumptions.

You are absolutely correct.

That flight, unless it has changed recently, is partly guaranteed by one of the major pharmaceutical companies in the RDU area. That is the specific reason why that flight has been around for 2 decades. Just like CLT-MUC is guaranteed by BMW (the car maker) to connect their factory in the area with HQ in Munich. None of those flights are comparable to anything in AUS, MSY, PIT, BNA or what have you.


Wrong. I have worked for AA at RDU. It has not been backed by any company (to which you were referring to GSK) for around fifteen years. It was also upgraded to a 777 this spring. There is a huge amount of cargo that is transported on this flight, which only makes it that more profitable. DL also upgraded their daily CDG to a 767 in the spring. Once again your assumptions are way off.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 12577
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:46 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Honestly, I'm surprised Allegiant isn't there already.

But back to the main topic, if MSY and RDU can support a LHR flight on BA and AA respectively, there is no reason why Nashville can't. Nashville now has more traffic than both of those airports.


RDU is a very different area than BNA. They have a lot more corporations (tech and pharma) and universities with US bases there. Twenty percent of all RDU travelers are international bound. There is a reason that RDU has had LON service for over two decades. You have to look beyond the passenger counts when making those assumptions.

You are absolutely correct.

That flight, unless it has changed recently, is partly guaranteed by one of the major pharmaceutical companies in the RDU area. That is the specific reason why that flight has been around for 2 decades. Just like CLT-MUC is guaranteed by BMW (the car maker) to connect their factory in the area with HQ in Munich. None of those flights are comparable to anything in AUS, MSY, PIT, BNA or what have you.


If by comparable you mean that a handful of corporations drive an outsized share of the demand, BNA-TYO is quite similar, but that has its own challenges.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:51 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:

RDU is a very different area than BNA. They have a lot more corporations (tech and pharma) and universities with US bases there. Twenty percent of all RDU travelers are international bound. There is a reason that RDU has had LON service for over two decades. You have to look beyond the passenger counts when making those assumptions.


Thank you for saying what a lot of people on here are thinking....

Passenger traffic isn't everything...

The similarities between BNA and AUS in terms of the music industry aren't even that strong of an argument either, AUS has more of a hipster feel that many Europeans can relate to, while BNA has Country Music only makes up 10% of sale across CDs, vinyl, digital downloads, and streaming in the US.

Tourism isn't equal to MSY, and MSY has the oil industry and business connections

Tourism can't propel a flight, there needs to be corporations sending people back and forth as well, just ask MSY.

Passenger numbers through an airport should not be an indicator of a need for TATL flights
ATL BWI BOS CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DTW FLL RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP BNA EWR HVN MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD
 
Ramprat212
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:06 pm

BNA has a facilities issue with the International gates which at this point the airport authority is working on. I think once they open the remodeled international gates we will see a non-stop to Europe.
 
izbtmnhd
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:10 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
Nashville today is not the Nashville of twenty years ago. It's a great place to live/visit even if you don't have an affinity for country music. There's a lot going on, in terms of economic development. It's a question of when, not if, in regards to TATL service, though no one here has a crystal ball. The competition with other cities mentioned is fierce. I personally think that the service levels offered in MSY could work well for BNA - 4-5X weekly BA to LHR, 2X weekly seasonal DE to FRA.

I'm rooting for BNA. Great city with a lot of untapped potential.


This was precisely my thinking. Nashville has a better case, IMO, than any of other cities mentioned (St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, etc), as it is growing faster than those areas, is in a better location (not as harsh of winters) and business travel needs grow by the day.


"Better" location means warmer winters? Please tell international carriers to stop serving NYC and BOS then! :D
 
ADrum23
Topic Author
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:18 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
Nashville today is not the Nashville of twenty years ago. It's a great place to live/visit even if you don't have an affinity for country music. There's a lot going on, in terms of economic development. It's a question of when, not if, in regards to TATL service, though no one here has a crystal ball. The competition with other cities mentioned is fierce. I personally think that the service levels offered in MSY could work well for BNA - 4-5X weekly BA to LHR, 2X weekly seasonal DE to FRA.

I'm rooting for BNA. Great city with a lot of untapped potential.


This was precisely my thinking. Nashville has a better case, IMO, than any of other cities mentioned (St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, etc), as it is growing faster than those areas, is in a better location (not as harsh of winters) and business travel needs grow by the day.


"Better" location means warmer winters? Please tell international carriers to stop serving NYC and BOS then! :D


Ok, when I said that, I meant it in the sense that it is one of the reasons why the Nashville area is growing so much. It is not a factor that would determine whether or not BNA lands a European flight.
 
ADrum23
Topic Author
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Why is there such an anti-BNA bias here? It seems a lot of people are saying Nashville is too niche of a city for direct TATL flights?
 
User avatar
lapper
Posts: 1559
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:42 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:20 pm

AA flew BNA-LGW back in the 90s. May 94-Oct 95 to be precise.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 12577
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
The similarities between BNA and AUS in terms of the music industry aren't even that strong of an argument either, AUS has more of a hipster feel that many Europeans can relate to, while BNA has Country Music only makes up 10% of sale across CDs, vinyl, digital downloads, and streaming in the US.


Do you have some data on music tourism to AUS and BNA? Unlike 15 years ago, there's a lot more to BNA's music scene than country. It's a crude measure, but the last time I saw numbers, the Schermerhorn (probably 90 percent or more non-country) pretty handily outgrossed the Ryman (the mother church of country music).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:36 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
But back to the main topic, if MSY and RDU can support a LHR flight on BA and AA respectively, there is no reason why Nashville can't. Nashville now has more traffic than both of those airports.

BNA is a connecting hub so that helps explain its higher numbers. But I agree BNA is due for European service.


Connecting hub for whom? WN? AA? DL?


I think the poster was referring to WN. BNA is a large "focus city" for them ( do they still not admit to having hubs?). WN routes a lot of traffic through BNA.

As to the question at hand, I don't know why BA would use precious landing slots at LHR for what amounts to a leisure route to/from Europe. I could be proven wrong, but I would think that additional service for BA to North America would involve going double daily to one of their more mature markets. If not a new LCC carrier from Europe, possibly EI could do a 4x weekly service to DUB on an A332.
 
BuildingMyBento
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:18 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Does Nashville still have a Japanese consulate (presumably for auto plants in the region)? Don't worry...I DON'T expect to see BNA-NRT happening, even if EK was suddenly granted that right.
 
ADrum23
Topic Author
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:42 pm

BuildingMyBento wrote:
Does Nashville still have a Japanese consulate (presumably for auto plants in the region)? Don't worry...I DON'T expect to see BNA-NRT happening, even if EK was suddenly granted that right.


I could definitely see BNA someday landing a direct flight to NRT either on JA or ANA, as many Asian businesses are in the area (Nissan, Bridgestone, etc), but it will take a long time to happen. It is at least a decade away IMO.
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:43 pm

The reasons why BNA will eventually (like in the next two years) get a TATL flight probably have little to do with country music. It's a nice part of the city's economy, and a reason for its success as a destination, but not as much as some people think.

Nashville is booming right now (population gain, business activity, tourism), and the airport has a huge catchment area. And frankly, much of Nashville's tourism growth has little to do with country music--many of the people you see strolling lower Broad in the evening downtown aren't what you would call dyed-in-the-wool country music fans. The opening of the convention center several years ago contributed as much to Nashville's tourism growth as anything since the original Opryland was built. A surge in business travel, a widely recognized culinary scene, and a number of big annual events have also contributed to tourism's growth.

As a number of other posters note, the decision to start a TATL flight on something other than an airline like WW or DY will probably have much more to do with business travel reasons than leisure.
 
ADrum23
Topic Author
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:44 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
BNA is a connecting hub so that helps explain its higher numbers. But I agree BNA is due for European service.


Connecting hub for whom? WN? AA? DL?


I think the poster was referring to WN. BNA is a large "focus city" for them ( do they still not admit to having hubs?). WN routes a lot of traffic through BNA.

As to the question at hand, I don't know why BA would use precious landing slots at LHR for what amounts to a leisure route to/from Europe. I could be proven wrong, but I would think that additional service for BA to North America would involve going double daily to one of their more mature markets. If not a new LCC carrier from Europe, possibly EI could do a 4x weekly service to DUB on an A332.


Does BA not control the majority of the landing slots at Heathrow anyway? I agree though, you'd think the leisure destinations (such as AUS, MSY, BNA) would be served out of LGW, since LGW seems to focus more on leisure destinations.
 
ty97
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:46 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Why is there such an anti-BNA bias here? It seems a lot of people are saying Nashville is too niche of a city for direct TATL flights?


Is there? I see three categories of posts:
A) People who think BNA can't support a TATL flight. People in category A are 100% sure they are correct.
B) People who think BNA absolutely can support a TATL flight and wonder why one does not already exist. People in category B are 100% sure they are correct.
While A) and B) are fighting with each other, the people in category C) are actually trying to analyze the question of whether/when BNA can/will get a TATL flight and have a rational, fruitful conversation, but anything they say that ticks off people in group A) or B) gets jumped on.

Rinse, repeat, welcome to a.net lately.

See also the DL/KE JV thread that has devolved into arguments over the Japanese aviation market, service to Detroit, and the definition of data. The noise sometimes drowns out the signal here.

(This isn't really directed at ADrum23, just a general, frustrated observation on my part).
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Seems like there's always a post regarding BNA and TATL service on A.net.
 
Lexy
Posts: 1309
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:05 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:30 pm

Yes, there's an anti-BNA bias on here along with a TON of misinformed poster who only think they know BNA. Come spend a week on the ramp at BNA and you'll change your anti-BNA tune really fast.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA
 
globalcabotage
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:49 pm

ty97 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Why is there such an anti-BNA bias here? It seems a lot of people are saying Nashville is too niche of a city for direct TATL flights?


Is there? I see three categories of posts:
A) People who think BNA can't support a TATL flight. People in category A are 100% sure they are correct.
B) People who think BNA absolutely can support a TATL flight and wonder why one does not already exist. People in category B are 100% sure they are correct.
While A) and B) are fighting with each other, the people in category C) are actually trying to analyze the question of whether/when BNA can/will get a TATL flight and have a rational, fruitful conversation, but anything they say that ticks off people in group A) or B) gets jumped on.

Rinse, repeat, welcome to a.net lately.

See also the DL/KE JV thread that has devolved into arguments over the Japanese aviation market, service to Detroit, and the definition of data. The noise sometimes drowns out the signal here.

(This isn't really directed at ADrum23, just a general, frustrated observation on my part).


Same can be said for CLE, CMH, IND, MCI, and MKE.
 
User avatar
Slash787
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:21 pm

Soon is the word
 
Turnhouse1
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:44 pm

If the demand is primarily tourism, then Norwegian from LGW (which I suspect is the most likely option), if there is genuine paid business travel then BA from LHR.

I'm actually surprised that RDU (also JFK/EWR, SFO and BOS) haven't managed to get direct flights for STN due to the number of pharma and tech companies around Cambridge. Getting from Cambridge to LHR is not the best drive or train journey.
 
ADrum23
Topic Author
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:45 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Seems like there's always a post regarding BNA and TATL service on A.net.


If only someone would actually start service there so the threads would quiet down......
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:48 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Seems like there's always a post regarding BNA and TATL service on A.net.


When they get it, it will inevitably be replaced by (fill in the blank with another airport code) TATL talk.
Last edited by AVLAirlineFreq on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
ADrum23
Topic Author
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:49 pm

Turnhouse1 wrote:
If the demand is primarily tourism, then Norwegian from LGW (which I suspect is the most likely option), if there is genuine paid business travel then BA from LHR.

I'm actually surprised that RDU (also JFK/EWR, SFO and BOS) haven't managed to get direct flights for STN due to the number of pharma and tech companies around Cambridge. Getting from Cambridge to LHR is not the best drive or train journey.


I think BA is the most likely candidate, since, contrary to what most people think, business will outweigh tourism.

That's a really interesting point about RDU-STN. They'd probably have to change carriers though if they shifted their London flight there, since AA doesn't go to STN.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:07 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Seems like there's always a post regarding BNA and TATL service on A.net.


When they get it, it will inevitably be replaced by (fill in the blank with another airport code) TATL talk.


Probably IND or CLE.
 
777PHX
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:30 pm

Lexy wrote:
Yes, there's an anti-BNA bias on here along with a TON of misinformed poster who only think they know BNA. Come spend a week on the ramp at BNA and you'll change your anti-BNA tune really fast.


Yeah, ok.

If we're going to start pointing fingers here, you're just about the worst when it comes to shitting on a pro-STL or pro-IND thread. You have zero room to speak.

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
When they get it, it will inevitably be replaced by (fill in the blank with another airport code) TATL talk.


These threads generally devolve into a pissing match between fans of IND, STL, CMH and BNA as evidence by the above.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:41 pm

ty97 wrote:
Is there? I see three categories of posts:
A) People who think BNA can't support a TATL flight. People in category A are 100% sure they are correct.
B) People who think BNA absolutely can support a TATL flight and wonder why one does not already exist. People in category B are 100% sure they are correct.
While A) and B) are fighting with each other, the people in category C) are actually trying to analyze the question of whether/when BNA can/will get a TATL flight and have a rational, fruitful conversation, but anything they say that ticks off people in group A) or B) gets jumped on.

Rinse, repeat, welcome to a.net lately.

(This isn't really directed at ADrum23, just a general, frustrated observation on my part).


I personally would love to see BNA, STL, CLE get at least one TATL flight...

And, I admit I clearly don't know everything about BNA. But, with all do respect to the BNA people out there, every time a topic like this is brought up, little is said about 1)The business travel in BNA leans to Asia, so what are the SPECIFIC corporations in Nashville that will utilize these flights, BA isn't going to fly a plane if there will be no corporations to pay full price to fill the front cabin on a regular basis.(STL/IND/CLE threads all discuss specific corporations). 2)Actual Nashville tourism statistics compared to other cities. 3)Stats in general

Most comments go along the lines of saying "Nashville's doing great right now, so therefore we need a TATL flight ASAP" which doesn't provide much insight into actual demand for passenger traffic. Again, the same can be said for a lot of comments about STL/CLE/IND/CVG/PIT/e.t.c
Last edited by Midwestindy on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ATL BWI BOS CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DTW FLL RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP BNA EWR HVN MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD
 
Lexy
Posts: 1309
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:05 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:42 pm

777PHX wrote:
Lexy wrote:
Yes, there's an anti-BNA bias on here along with a TON of misinformed poster who only think they know BNA. Come spend a week on the ramp at BNA and you'll change your anti-BNA tune really fast.


Yeah, ok.

If we're going to start pointing fingers here, you're just about the worst when it comes to shitting on a pro-STL or pro-IND thread. You have zero room to speak.

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
When they get it, it will inevitably be replaced by (fill in the blank with another airport code) TATL talk.


These threads generally devolve into a pissing match between fans of IND, STL, CMH and BNA as evidence by the above.



Funny. I don't recall pointing a finger at anyone. But whatever you say son.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA
 
ADrum23
Topic Author
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
ty97 wrote:
Is there? I see three categories of posts:
A) People who think BNA can't support a TATL flight. People in category A are 100% sure they are correct.
B) People who think BNA absolutely can support a TATL flight and wonder why one does not already exist. People in category B are 100% sure they are correct.
While A) and B) are fighting with each other, the people in category C) are actually trying to analyze the question of whether/when BNA can/will get a TATL flight and have a rational, fruitful conversation, but anything they say that ticks off people in group A) or B) gets jumped on.

Rinse, repeat, welcome to a.net lately.

(This isn't really directed at ADrum23, just a general, frustrated observation on my part).


I personally would love to see BNA, STL, CLE get at least one TATL flight...

And, I admit I clearly don't know everything about BNA. But, with all do respect to the BNA people out there, every time a topic like this is brought up, little is said about 1) the SPECIFIC corporations in Nashville that will utilize these flights, BA isn't going to fly a plane if there will be no corporations to pay full price to fill the front cabin on a regular basis. 2)Actual Nashville tourism statistics compared to other cities. 3)Stats in general

Most comments go along the lines of saying "Nashville's doing great right now, so therefore we need a TATL flight ASAP" which doesn't provide much insight into actual demand for passenger traffic. Again, the same can be said for a lot of comments about STL/CLE/IND/CVG/PIT/e.t.c


I very much agree IND and STL deserve TATL right along with BNA, all three are way overdue for a flight. In fact, if all three (BNA, IND, STL) got some decent TATL (and eventually TPAC) service, they could become decent long-distance reliever airports for ORD and ATL respectively.

What I don't understand is why people insist CLE and CMH deserve TATL flights. What exactly is the draw for those cities (from both business and tourist)? Both would be better off focusing on expanding their domestic network before trying to land TATL flights.
 
Cunard
Posts: 683
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:24 pm

ADrum23

You do realise that BNA, CLE, STL have previously had direct non stop transatlantic flights to London so I guess this is one of the reasons why so many posters quote these particular airports when discussing possible future USA airports to gain flights to Europe especially London, the same could be said about PIT.

Just to add my personal opinion to the thread I think that if and when BA do announce a new destination in the USA it will be St Louis.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Cunard wrote:
ADrum23

You do realise that BNA, CLE, STL have previously had direct non stop transatlantic flights to London so I guess this is one of the reasons why so many posters quote these particular airports when discussing possible future USA airports to gain flights to Europe especially London, the same could be said about PIT.

Just to add my personal opinion to the thread I think that if and when BA do announce a new destination in the USA it will be St Louis.


I respect your opinion, but I'm going with Nashville first, then St. Louis.
 
westgate
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:32 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
If not a new LCC carrier from Europe, possibly EI could do a 4x weekly service to DUB on an A332.


I think this could have a chance at working, due to the fact that (as I already mentioned in a previous post) country music is quite popular in Ireland. So it wouldn't be just BNA originating pax but perhaps a decent amount of DUB originating pax as well . . .
 
westgate
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:40 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
The reasons why BNA will eventually (like in the next two years) get a TATL flight probably have little to do with country music. It's a nice part of the city's economy, and a reason for its success as a destination, but not as much as some people think.

Nashville is booming right now (population gain, business activity, tourism), and the airport has a huge catchment area. And frankly, much of Nashville's tourism growth has little to do with country music--many of the people you see strolling lower Broad in the evening downtown aren't what you would call dyed-in-the-wool country music fans. The opening of the convention center several years ago contributed as much to Nashville's tourism growth as anything since the original Opryland was built. A surge in business travel, a widely recognized culinary scene, and a number of big annual events have also contributed to tourism's growth.

As a number of other posters note, the decision to start a TATL flight on something other than an airline like WW or DY will probably have much more to do with business travel reasons than leisure.


But the only reason why Nashville will attract any tourists from Europe is if they are in fact dyed-in-wool country music fans, and there aren't a whole lot of those in Europe compared to the USA.

I don't think the large increase in non-'country music' tourism, which I assume is almost entirely from within the US, will affect international demand into the city.

If Nashville is booming, then that means BNA originating traffic will be filling flights to Europe, not the other way around . . .
 
777PHX
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Lexy wrote:

Funny. I don't recall pointing a finger at anyone. But whatever you say son.


It's ok, sweetheart, I don't expect you to be self aware of the shit posts you create given who you are. Now run along back to the kitchen, and let the adults talk. (See, I can be just as patronizing as you can.....lol)

Cunard wrote:
Just to add my personal opinion to the thread I think that if and when BA do announce a new destination in the USA it will be St Louis


The last time we discussed this a few weeks ago, someone posted the PDEW numbers to Europe for each of the cities in question, and IIRC, STL and IND were both ahead of BNA in that order. There's always yapping about country music in these threads, but really, how does that drive tourism and does anyone outside of the southeast US and a small pocket in the LA area actually care? I don't see Dieter from Munich or Aidan from Dublin falling over themselves to come visit the heart of redneck America. Business traffic is going to drive these flights and that's where IND and STL have an advantage over BNA - they both have better business climates and stronger economies than does Nashville.
 
Cunard
Posts: 683
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:51 pm

777PHX

Regarding your last comments,

A very good summary of how it really is with some good humour thrown in as well, you couldn't have put in a better way than you already have, well done Sir :-)
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:58 pm

westgate wrote:
IAHWorldflyer wrote:
If not a new LCC carrier from Europe, possibly EI could do a 4x weekly service to DUB on an A332.


I think this could have a chance at working, due to the fact that (as I already mentioned in a previous post) country music is quite popular in Ireland. So it wouldn't be just BNA originating pax but perhaps a decent amount of DUB originating pax as well . . .

Oh cmon.... The Dolly Express??? You know that tango is very popular in Finland, but there's no HEL-EZE or HEL-MVD flight?
 
kingcavalier
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:02 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:59 pm

I'm not sure where BA would find ticket counter space at BNA. I guess they could share AA's counter and gate but this will not be an issue once the airport expansion a.k.a. BNA Vision happens in the next few years.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 662
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:02 pm

I'm curious to how having corporate headquarters fits into it. For example how many seats do you think the automakers buy out of Detroit? I would think that corporations the SF Bay Area would buy a lot out of SFO/SJC not just because of businesses but due to their location on the Pacific Ocean. Sure, having corporation headquarters helps, but does it make that big of a difference? I think BNA would have had a better shot at flights to Europe had It not lost the AA hub.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
Lexy
Posts: 1309
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:05 am

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:13 pm

The fact you think the business climate is better in IND and STL than BNA is laughable. Research and most media says you are wrong. Nashville is consistently in the top among corporate relocations, startups, and quality. If your two little cities were so special, you'd see more traffic at your airports. STL is only growing because of the mess that MDW is and IND...it's anyone's guess. Outside of a racetrack, there's no reason to go there. You want petty, I can happily bring it.

Neither city has managed to keep up with BNA as a metro.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA
 
globalcabotage
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:29 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
ty97 wrote:
Is there? I see three categories of posts:
A) People who think BNA can't support a TATL flight. People in category A are 100% sure they are correct.
B) People who think BNA absolutely can support a TATL flight and wonder why one does not already exist. People in category B are 100% sure they are correct.
While A) and B) are fighting with each other, the people in category C) are actually trying to analyze the question of whether/when BNA can/will get a TATL flight and have a rational, fruitful conversation, but anything they say that ticks off people in group A) or B) gets jumped on.

Rinse, repeat, welcome to a.net lately.

(This isn't really directed at ADrum23, just a general, frustrated observation on my part).


I personally would love to see BNA, STL, CLE get at least one TATL flight...

And, I admit I clearly don't know everything about BNA. But, with all do respect to the BNA people out there, every time a topic like this is brought up, little is said about 1) the SPECIFIC corporations in Nashville that will utilize these flights, BA isn't going to fly a plane if there will be no corporations to pay full price to fill the front cabin on a regular basis. 2)Actual Nashville tourism statistics compared to other cities. 3)Stats in general

Most comments go along the lines of saying "Nashville's doing great right now, so therefore we need a TATL flight ASAP" which doesn't provide much insight into actual demand for passenger traffic. Again, the same can be said for a lot of comments about STL/CLE/IND/CVG/PIT/e.t.c


I very much agree IND and STL deserve TATL right along with BNA, all three are way overdue for a flight. In fact, if all three (BNA, IND, STL) got some decent TATL (and eventually TPAC) service, they could become decent long-distance reliever airports for ORD and ATL respectively.

What I don't understand is why people insist CLE and CMH deserve TATL flights. What exactly is the draw for those cities (from both business and tourist)? Both would be better off focusing on expanding their domestic network before trying to land TATL flights.


Let's get 1 nonstop to London first before thinking about Asia. As a reliever for ORD and ATL, how did STL pan out as a reliever for ORD and DFW?
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 12577
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Lexy wrote:
The fact you think the business climate is better in IND and STL than BNA is laughable. Research and most media says you are wrong. Nashville is consistently in the top among corporate relocations, startups, and quality. If your two little cities were so special, you'd see more traffic at your airports. STL is only growing because of the mess that MDW is and IND...it's anyone's guess. Outside of a racetrack, there's no reason to go there. You want petty, I can happily bring it.

Neither city has managed to keep up with BNA as a metro.


STL absolutely has a larger business community than does BNA by just about any measure you choose. Growth in Nashville may change that eventually, but we're not there yet.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
ADrum23
Topic Author
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:33 pm

777PHX wrote:
Lexy wrote:

Funny. I don't recall pointing a finger at anyone. But whatever you say son.


It's ok, sweetheart, I don't expect you to be self aware of the shit posts you create given who you are. Now run along back to the kitchen, and let the adults talk. (See, I can be just as patronizing as you can.....lol)

Cunard wrote:
Just to add my personal opinion to the thread I think that if and when BA do announce a new destination in the USA it will be St Louis


The last time we discussed this a few weeks ago, someone posted the PDEW numbers to Europe for each of the cities in question, and IIRC, STL and IND were both ahead of BNA in that order. There's always yapping about country music in these threads, but really, how does that drive tourism and does anyone outside of the southeast US and a small pocket in the LA area actually care? I don't see Dieter from Munich or Aidan from Dublin falling over themselves to come visit the heart of redneck America. Business traffic is going to drive these flights and that's where IND and STL have an advantage over BNA - they both have better business climates and stronger economies than does Nashville.


Not exactly. The Indianapolis metro area is only slightly bigger than the Nashville metro area, and Nashville will likely overtake Indianapolis within the next 10-15 years. The business climate in Nashville is more favorable than Indianapolis and even St. Louis (no state income tax, lower property tax burden, cost-of-living is cheaper, better weather, etc). Nashville is growing by 100 people a day, and businesses move here all the time (both big and small).

I am not disputing that STL and IND are deserving of TATL flights (they most definitely are and they should get them ASAP), but don't write off Nashville like that.
 
ADrum23
Topic Author
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Lexy wrote:
The fact you think the business climate is better in IND and STL than BNA is laughable. Research and most media says you are wrong. Nashville is consistently in the top among corporate relocations, startups, and quality. If your two little cities were so special, you'd see more traffic at your airports. STL is only growing because of the mess that MDW is and IND...it's anyone's guess. Outside of a racetrack, there's no reason to go there. You want petty, I can happily bring it.

Neither city has managed to keep up with BNA as a metro.


STL absolutely has a larger business community than does BNA by just about any measure you choose. Growth in Nashville may change that eventually, but we're not there yet.


He does bring up a fair point, a lot of the people moving to St. Louis are simply fleeing Illinois. That being said, I agree STL is deserving of a TATL flight too (especially since Panera Bread was bought by a company based in the Netherlands).
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 12577
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:42 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Lexy wrote:
The fact you think the business climate is better in IND and STL than BNA is laughable. Research and most media says you are wrong. Nashville is consistently in the top among corporate relocations, startups, and quality. If your two little cities were so special, you'd see more traffic at your airports. STL is only growing because of the mess that MDW is and IND...it's anyone's guess. Outside of a racetrack, there's no reason to go there. You want petty, I can happily bring it.

Neither city has managed to keep up with BNA as a metro.


STL absolutely has a larger business community than does BNA by just about any measure you choose. Growth in Nashville may change that eventually, but we're not there yet.


He does bring up a fair point, a lot of the people moving to St. Louis are simply fleeing Illinois. That being said, I agree STL is deserving of a TATL flight too (especially since Panera Bread was bought by a company based in the Netherlands).


Saint Louis isn't really growing at all. The City and County are both losing population.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos