ADrum23
Topic Author

When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:55 am

I am very surprised BNA does not have a TATL flight yet, when similar sized airports (such as MSY, RDU, AUS) do (Nashville has exceeded the traffic of all three of those airports, individually speaking).

I heard a few years ago they were in the running to get a flight to LHR on BA, but I have not heard anything since. I know they are in the process of upgrading the International Arrivals building to make a better case for a TATL (and eventually a TPAC).

When do you think Nashville will get TATL service? Will it be on BA, AA or DL? Does anyone with connections to MNAA know the status?

Cunard

Re: When will Nashville (BNA) get a non-stop flight to Europe?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:46 am

NO one knows the answers to your questions if anything they will be hypothetical and the usual suspects will ask the same about Columbus, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, St Louis, etc, and there will be those and many of them suggesting Norwegian (again and again)

777PHX

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:51 am

Answer hasn't changed since last week when this was last discussed.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:28 am

It will be relatively soon i think, less then 2 years. It won't be a legacy carrier like AA, BA, DL etc etc. It will be a less then daily flight by a LCC to KEF, LGW, CDG something like that. I think this is the same for STL, MCI, MKE, CMH,IND etc etc also. There is not the premium demand to keep legacy traffic, but they do have enough for less then daily LCC service. They are just not priorities but as they run out of new adds someone will try less the daily to Nashville.

AaronPGH

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:40 am

Is Nashville an A321 or 737 distance from KEF or LGW? That's probably the answer.

aemoreira1981

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:47 am

AaronPGH wrote:
Is Nashville an A321 or 737 distance from KEF or LGW? That's probably the answer.

BNA to KEF is doable with an A321neo...by direct distance (2813 nautical miles), it's actually 39 nautical miles shorter than KEF to TLV (2852 nautical miles), which WOW air is going to fly with an A321neo. Now, will people want to fly 7 hours on an A321neo to Iceland for 1-stop journeys to Europe? That is the question.

AaronPGH

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:57 am

Yes, because the price is right, and the novelty of flying nonstop to Europe is there in second tier cities. PIT started a month ago and has been a huge success, although just a 5.5 hour flight.

Cubsrule

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:09 am

AaronPGH wrote:
Yes, because the price is right, and the novelty of flying nonstop to Europe is there in second tier cities. PIT started a month ago and has been a huge success, although just a 5.5 hour flight.

Diverting half the time in the winter would not be good for the economics (or for WW's already woefully bad on time performance).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

GatorClark

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:34 am

Let me ask this question because it is going over my head (no pun intended)... Why would anyone WANT to start Europe to BNA? I mean we are talking Nashville TENNESSEE right? What is the appeal? As far as I know, Nashville's only real claim to fame is being the Country Music capitol of the world which is a small niche even here in the US..

eaa3

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:58 am

Cubsrule wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:

Diverting half the time in the winter would not be good for the economics (or for WW's already woefully bad on time performance).

On time performance at WOW is running in the 80%+ and winter won't be a problem for the A321NEO.

DL_Mech

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:03 am

GatorClark wrote:
Why would anyone WANT to start Europe to BNA?

Nissan US headquarters and Bridgestone/Firestone US headquarters may send some people to Europe.
Last edited by DL_Mech on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

finnishway

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:05 am

GatorClark wrote:
Let me ask this question because it is going over my head (no pun intended)... Why would anyone WANT to start Europe to BNA? I mean we are talking Nashville TENNESSEE right? What is the appeal? As far as I know, Nashville's only real claim to fame is being the Country Music capitol of the world which is a small niche even here in the US..

Country is the most popular music genre in the US. Nashville is one of the fastest growing cities in the US.

Answer to the original post is when the new international "terminal" is ready. BA will be the airline.

Something big to be announced later this year said BNA officials last week.

ADrum23
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:34 am

finnishway wrote:
GatorClark wrote:

Country is the most popular music genre in the US. Nashville is one of the fastest growing cities in the US.

Answer to the original post is when the new international "terminal" is ready. BA will be the airline.

Do you know this for sure? Are you connected to people at the MNAA?

lavalampluva

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:04 am

I guess it's how an American airports validate themselves. It's almost as if you're nothing unless you have a flight to Europe or Asia.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

jns13

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:10 am

Nashville is growing fast, and is a lot more high value than you think. In addition to some corporate traffic, there is a large entertainment industry based there, with the incomes to match. The idea that BNA is a "hillbilly" town is outdated and has been for a while.

While a LCC presence isn't impossible, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see either European or US legacy service there first. BA seems likely as some have indicated, but who knows.

southwest1675

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:48 am

Interim IAB will be open in Spring 2018. BA these past couple years have announced new US mid-sized markets in the fall, and began service in Spring. Just speculation, but they'll have a flight soon enough.

southwest1675

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:50 am

GatorClark wrote:

Why would anyone want to start Europe to RDU, MSY, or AUS? Nashville could support the service.

finnishway

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:51 am

ADrum23 wrote:
finnishway wrote:
GatorClark wrote:

You should read the other BNA thread more often.

southwest1675

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:54 am

finnishway wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
finnishway wrote:

You should read the other BNA thread more often.

http://fox17.com/news/local/holiday-tra ... ng-airport

"We'll have some bigger news in September that relates to the expansion project."

User001

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:09 am

The best options for BNA could be:

BA to LHR about 4 weekly
D8 to LGW about 2 weekly
DE 2 weekly to FRA or TCX 2 weekly to MAN (more likely to see the former)

Eidelweiss and Eurowings seem to be expanding into more US points with places like Denver, Fort Myers and San Diego recent additions, so, could see those too.

AaronPGH

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:27 am

I'm generally a lurker...not an airline expert, but for as much as you all think you know about airlines, you sure don't understand the current markets in the US or the changes going on in them. And if you don't have a grasp on where the economics and people in the US are moving (Nashville is one of the top), then you don't understand where air traffic is going to follow. Doesn't matter what you know about what airlines did the last two decades. It's about now. Second tier cities and airlines like WOW are opening up entirely new markets.

Midwestindy

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:47 am

southwest1675 wrote:
GatorClark wrote:

Why would anyone want to start Europe to RDU, MSY, or AUS? Nashville could support the service.

Completely different cases, they have significant business traffic to Europe (enough to support multiple TATL flights).... which BNA has much less of, as discussed over and over and over on this thread.

DL_Mech wrote:
GatorClark wrote:

Nissan US headquarters and Bridgestone/Firestone US headquarters may send some people to Europe.

That is traffic mostly to Asia, not Europe...

When is a hard question, but anytime in the next 1-1.5 years

finnishway

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:10 am

You have to remember that its not just about Nashville. There is over 6 million people living in Tennessee and from the neighbouring states only Georgia and Nort Carolina have TATL flights to Europe. So there are millions of potential passengers near Tennessee.

Nashville is also in great location, because there are no large airline hubs near it. Atlanta and Charlotte are far enough.

Nashville is fast growing city pretty much in every way. People are moving in, businesses are growing and tourism is growing.

There is definitely need for a TATL flight from Nashville and it will come. I personally think that Nashville could even support daily flight to London.

But as usual money makes the difference. Airports in the US are usually spending a lot of money to get airlines to fly there.

You have to remember that there are other airports in the region competing with Nashville for example Kansas City, Indianapolis, St.Louis, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland.

In the past year I have compared what kind of incentive programs these airports have. Well Kansas already has a problem with its airport. It just needs a replacement.

Indianapolis and Columbus have announced for a few times that they have discussed with BA and want flight to London. But in my opinion Cleveland has the higher possibility before these two cities.

Pittsburgh has already got a couple of new TATL flights so I don't seem it likely that BA or LH would start to fly there anytime soon.

So basically it comes down to two either St.Louis or Nashville. Both want BA, both have expressed their interest for BA and probably both won't get it.

parapente

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:15 am

Aaron stop being a lurker your post is refreshing.
On a previous 797 type thread it was noted that these new super economical 'small' aircraft including the NEO could accelerate the pattern Boeing was suggesting a decade ago but now with even smaller 200-250 sized aircraft.Nashville? Quite possibly- I am not qualified to comment I only ever went to the 'major' cities on biz.
But I do see this pattern becoming a strong one - hence the Boeing reaction to it.There are probably plenty of cities.Then comes the issue of congestion at hub airports.Perhaps LGW should build a second runway anyway despite what Heathrow might do in a decades time?We may need it if this trend continues.

Midwestindy

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:17 am

finnishway wrote:
You have to remember that its not just about Nashville. There is over 6 million people living in Tennessee and from the neighbouring states only Georgia and Nort Carolina have TATL flights to Europe. So there are millions of potential passengers near Tennessee.

Nashville is also in great location, because there are no large airline hubs near it. Atlanta and Charlotte are far enough.

Nashville is fast growing city pretty much in every way. People are moving in, businesses are growing and tourism is growing.

There is definitely need for a TATL flight from Nashville and it will come. I personally think that Nashville could even support daily flight to London.

But as usual money makes the difference. Airports in the US are usually spending a lot of money to get airlines to fly there.

You have to remember that there are other airports in the region competing with Nashville for example Kansas City, Indianapolis, St.Louis, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland.

In the past year I have compared what kind of incentive programs these airports have. Well Kansas already has a problem with its airport. It just needs a replacement.

Indianapolis and Columbus have announced for a few times that they have discussed with BA and want flight to London. But in my opinion Cleveland has the higher possibility before these two cities.

Pittsburgh has already got a couple of new TATL flights so I don't seem it likely that BA or LH would start to fly there anytime soon.

So basically it comes down to two either St.Louis or Nashville. Both want BA, both have expressed their interest for BA and probably both won't get it.

I disagree, if CLE gets a flight it isn't going to affect whether BNA gets a flight or vice versa...but it is futile to say which cities won't get TATL flights, because 1. all the cities you mentioned will have a TATL within the next 3 years and 2. that isn't the question in the thread.
Last edited by Midwestindy on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

SunsetLimited

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:29 am

Nashville today is not the Nashville of twenty years ago. It's a great place to live/visit even if you don't have an affinity for country music. There's a lot going on, in terms of economic development. It's a question of when, not if, in regards to TATL service, though no one here has a crystal ball. The competition with other cities mentioned is fierce. I personally think that the service levels offered in MSY could work well for BNA - 4-5X weekly BA to LHR, 2X weekly seasonal DE to FRA.

I'm rooting for BNA. Great city with a lot of untapped potential.
Spread hope like fire.

mjoelnir

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:15 am

I think WOWair and Icelandair would be likely candidates, they have looked at second or third tire airports, with little competition. BNA is well inside the range of an A320/1 or 757 from KEF. The choices of new routes have sometimes been surprising regarding WOWair and Icelandair.

rbavfan

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:33 am

finnishway wrote:
GatorClark wrote:

First if country is the most popular music in the US why is there such a large gap between the number of rock stations & the number of country stations. Also Europe has been more into club & dance music for years.

They need more businesses with direct connections to european operations to attract the service. St. Louis at least has Anheuser-Busch thats part of ABInBev and with TWA taken in by AA and the hub shut down the main operator in St. Louis is now WN. WN does not have aircraft yet to fly international. AA will fly to Europe from CLT, PHL & ORD, not from St. Louis. Same with Nashville. Currently there is not enough demand for non-stop service to be sustainable.

Austin as you mentioned is doing well for BA. but they have a music scene thats popular with Europeans. Country music is fine, but it does not carry the demand. I hope Nashville gets more international links & in time a non-stop flight. Most likely it will be Norwegian or BA.

rbavfan

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:35 am

DL_Mech wrote:
GatorClark wrote:

Nissan is not a big seller in Europe & they are based in Japan. So if Nisson was the reason for a flight it would be to Tokyo.

rbavfan

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:41 am

southwest1675 wrote:
GatorClark wrote:

BA started AUS a while back, catch up. They also have already up-gaged to a 789 from a 788 so they now have First class service.

WWads

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:42 am

Once the A321LRs enter service, BNA-EU is possible, although there might be weight restrictions on the return that would discourage service. I don't see there being demand for a wide-body, but maybe BA could make a 788 work. MSY-LHR seems to be doing pretty well.

Aesma

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:48 am

Aren't there some numbers for people flying between BNA and cities in Europe so we can see what the potential demand is ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

westgate

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:49 am

finnishway wrote:
Country is the most popular music genre in the US.

In the U.S. yes, Europe no . . .

It's just not that popular on this side of the pond. Europeans are much more into their electronic and dance music. Country has a decent following in the UK somewhat and I think it's quite big in Ireland, but that's about it.

I could be wrong, but if there ever is a BA flight to LHR, I would assume it will be predominantly BNA originating pax travelling to London and connecting to destinations in Europe, with just a small handful of folks from UK/Europe heading to the Country Music Capital of the World.

On a side note, NW/KL operated MEM-AMS for years on a mix of DC-10/MD-11/A332 (maybe even A333 ?). That had the advantage of having a hub on either end, but the MEM hub was never that large at any stage anyway and the current BNA O/D demand would probably be the equivalent to the connecting traffic that came through MEM in the past.

rbavfan

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:58 am

AaronPGH wrote:
I'm generally a lurker...not an airline expert, but for as much as you all think you know about airlines, you sure don't understand the current markets in the US or the changes going on in them. And if you don't have a grasp on where the economics and people in the US are moving (Nashville is one of the top), then you don't understand where air traffic is going to follow. Doesn't matter what you know about what airlines did the last two decades. It's about now. Second tier cities and airlines like WOW are opening up entirely new markets.

Yes and Phoenix just became the 5th largest city in the US (again) and other than Central America & Canada, we have service for years now to London on BA and are starting service to Frankfurt Germany by Condor (the airline not the bird.) We have fairly large Asian population & still no service to Asia. Airlines find it easier to route us through LAX & SFO.

rbavfan

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:59 am

westgate wrote:
finnishway wrote:

It's just not that popular on this side of the pond. Europeans are much more into their electronic and dance music. Country has a decent following in the UK somewhat and I think it's quite big in Ireland, but that's about it.

I could be wrong, but if there ever is a BA flight to LHR, I would assume it will be predominantly BNA originating pax travelling to London and connecting to destinations in Europe, with just a small handful of folks from UK/Europe heading to the Country Music Capital of the World.

On a side note, NW/KL operated MEM-AMS for years on a mix of DC-10/MD-11/A332 (maybe even A333 ?). That had the advantage of having a hub on either end, but the MEM hub was never that large at any stage anyway and the current BNA O/D demand would probably be the equivalent to the connecting traffic that came through MEM in the past.

And BTW. I love visiting Nashville.

rbavfan

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:01 am

rbavfan wrote:
westgate wrote:
finnishway wrote:

MEM was a large hub for NW & it was a large hub for Republic before NW bought them.
And BTW. I love visiting Nashville.

rbavfan

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:11 am

Midwestindy wrote:
finnishway wrote:

I disagree, if CLE gets a flight it isn't going to affect whether BNA gets a flight or vice versa...but it is futile to say which cities won't get TATL flights, because 1. all the cities you mentioned will have a TATL within the next 3 years and 2. that isn't the question in the thread.

Both of you seem to forget CVG does not need ago get a TATL flight. They already have CVG-CDG service on Delta & have for years.

gunnerman

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:06 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Both of you seem to forget CVG does not need ago get a TATL flight. They already have CVG-CDG service on Delta & have for years.

Do you really think that CVG won't want to get back the London and Frankfurt flights?

Cubsrule

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:43 pm

eaa3 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:

On time performance at WOW is running in the 80%+ and winter won't be a problem for the A321NEO.

You think 80 percent is good in the for a longhaul operation in the summer? If we pick a US or European legacy's longhaul hub with similar weather, they probably run 95 percent plus.

Cubsrule

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:51 pm

GatorClark wrote:

13.9 million inbound tourists last year disagree with you.

rajincajun01

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:56 pm

finnishway wrote:

The "big" announcement is probably Allegiant coming to town. Or they will go all out and land MSY service on GLO.

BNA will have to wait to see how other markets' new TATL service is doing first. It will happen, just not yet.

aemoreira1981

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:13 pm

finnishway wrote:
GatorClark wrote:

WOW air may be more likely that British Airways though. The A321neo would allow a route like BNA to KEF to exist, and then the plane could do KEF to TLV as its next segment. The LR wouldn't be needed, as a neo should be able to do the route even in winter (WOW air's A321 configuration is Y200).

ADrum23
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:36 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
finnishway wrote:

The "big" announcement is probably Allegiant coming to town. Or they will go all out and land MSY service on GLO.

BNA will have to wait to see how other markets' new TATL service is doing first. It will happen, just not yet.

Honestly, I'm surprised Allegiant isn't there already.

But back to the main topic, if MSY and RDU can support a LHR flight on BA and AA respectively, there is no reason why Nashville can't. Nashville now has more traffic than both of those airports.

ADrum23
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:42 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
Nashville today is not the Nashville of twenty years ago. It's a great place to live/visit even if you don't have an affinity for country music. There's a lot going on, in terms of economic development. It's a question of when, not if, in regards to TATL service, though no one here has a crystal ball. The competition with other cities mentioned is fierce. I personally think that the service levels offered in MSY could work well for BNA - 4-5X weekly BA to LHR, 2X weekly seasonal DE to FRA.

I'm rooting for BNA. Great city with a lot of untapped potential.

This was precisely my thinking. Nashville has a better case, IMO, than any of other cities mentioned (St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, etc), as it is growing faster than those areas, is in a better location (not as harsh of winters) and business travel needs grow by the day.

flyPIT

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:48 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
But back to the main topic, if MSY and RDU can support a LHR flight on BA and AA respectively, there is no reason why Nashville can't. Nashville now has more traffic than both of those airports.

BNA is a connecting hub so that helps explain its higher numbers. But I agree BNA is due for European service.
FLYi

Polot

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:23 pm

rbavfan wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:
GatorClark wrote:

Nissan is not a big seller in Europe & they are based in Japan. So if Nisson was the reason for a flight it would be to Tokyo.

You should read more about the Renault-Nissan alliance. While the two companies are technically separate they effectively act as one. Nissan (Infiniti) and Daimler also have a partnership (see also Infiniti Q[X]30/Mercedes GLA).

Nissan wouldn't be a huge source of the traffic, but there are more links between Nissan USA and Europe then what you would first think.

CHA5Departure

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:36 pm

In regard to the music industry in Nashville, it is not just a country music town anymore. There is a lot of pop/rock recording and production going on in Nashville. Most, if not all, of the major recording labels have more than just a passing presence in the city. There is plenty enough music business in BNA to generate some traffic to Europe, but maybe not totally support the service.

As a consumer living in Chattanooga, TN (located about halfway between ATL and BNA) with close family in Germany, I would love to see a LCC start service in either ATL or BNA. Sure, I have tons of TATL options in ATL, but it is all legacy service and the fares are much higher than what an LCC would bring to the table.

TerminalD

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:02 pm

I don't think a NEO/NG narrowbody can even make it to KEF, so that limits the options to big planes and makes it a lot harder. I think the best options are LGW on DY like 3/week as they did in AUS or BA. One could argue DY added AUS to mess with BA, returning the favor, so that probably puts the ball in BA's court for BNA. I think it is near the top of their list. I know the fact that all int'l flights need to be towed in BNA is a big negative.

ADrum23
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:25 pm

flyPIT wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

BNA is a connecting hub so that helps explain its higher numbers. But I agree BNA is due for European service.

Connecting hub for whom? WN? AA? DL?

ADrum23
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:26 pm

CHA5Departure wrote:
In regard to the music industry in Nashville, it is not just a country music town anymore. There is a lot of pop/rock recording and production going on in Nashville. Most, if not all, of the major recording labels have more than just a passing presence in the city. There is plenty enough music business in BNA to generate some traffic to Europe, but maybe not totally support the service.

As a consumer living in Chattanooga, TN (located about halfway between ATL and BNA) with close family in Germany, I would love to see a LCC start service in either ATL or BNA. Sure, I have tons of TATL options in ATL, but it is all legacy service and the fares are much higher than what an LCC would bring to the table.

If Condor started seasonal service to Frankfurt (like MSY), would that be sufficient?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos