Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Yflyer

Re: Unserved markets in the US.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Along the lines of the smaller markets that lost their only service when SkyWest's Brasilias went away, there are several smaller markets in the Southeast that AA serves with Dash-8s from CLT. How many of those risk losing their air service when the turboprops are retired from AA's regionals? Hilton Head is the obvious one, which has been discussed before on numerous occasions. What other markets do they currently serve that might not be able to support RJs?

And speaking of unserved markets in the Southeast, Hickory, North Carolina used to have commuter flights to CLT before 9/11. Then Delta attempted to fly there with CRJs in the mid to late 2000s, but that service ended pretty quickly.

AVLAirlineFreq

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:35 pm

Yflyer wrote:
Along the lines of the smaller markets that lost their only service when SkyWest's Brasilias went away, there are several smaller markets in the Southeast that AA serves with Dash-8s from CLT. How many of those risk losing their air service when the turboprops are retired from AA's regionals? Hilton Head is the obvious one, which has been discussed before on numerous occasions. What other markets do they currently serve that might not be able to support RJs?

And speaking of unserved markets in the Southeast, Hickory, North Carolina used to have commuter flights to CLT before 9/11. Then Delta attempted to fly there with CRJs in the mid to late 2000s, but that service ended pretty quickly.

I think just about every other AA Dash market can probably be flown exclusively with RJs or consolidated into fewer flights using only RJs. Even routes like CLT-FLO or CLT-PGV, which are served exclusively with Dashes now 4x in summer, can probably be served 3x/day with RJs.

tom02

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:10 am

Piedmont airlines which operates all the Dash-8's out of CLT will replace them with EMB-145's acquired from envoy I don't see these routes going away probably just more consolidated with less flights. The Dash-8 are starting to retire this fall most being around 20 years old.

KSBOS

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:16 am

BOS- SAT, ABQ, RNO, SBN, MSN, DAY, SDF.

WN, DL or B6 would do good on these routes.
WN-SAT/SDF,
B6-ABQ, RNO, and
DL- MSN, SDF, DAY are my choices .

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:53 am

What was the consensus on CLD? Can a CR7, for example, get out of there with a full load and go, say, 400 miles? What would the restriction be? I'm just trying to see what the business case would be for CLD.

gregn21

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:38 am

I don't know about totally unserved markets (other than Delaware), but I'm personally shocked that Disney hasn't gotten someone to start up an SNA-MCO flight.

cheapgreek

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:50 am

tom02 wrote:
Piedmont airlines which operates all the Dash-8's out of CLT will replace them with EMB-145's acquired from envoy I don't see these routes going away probably just more consolidated with less flights. The Dash-8 are starting to retire this fall most being around 20 years old.

Piedmont also flies the Dash's from PHL. Some markets cannot accommodate the EMB-145's such as HHH and HVN. When I was at Piedmont back in 2002, the fleet was close to 70 planes. In a few years the fleet started to shrink, eight 200's were returned as was one 300. Over the years some of the 100's timed out and even with the merger with Allegheny, the fleet numbers were dropping quickly. Today the fleet is about 20 something planes and at the end of the year it will consist of 11 300's and 4 100's.
With Air Wisconsin leaving in 2018 to fly for United, those 68 CRJ-200's will need to be replaced or some routes will be dropped.

sasd209

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:46 am

Was the verdict announced in HVN yet?

Super80Fan wrote:
cheapgreek wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

You could say HVN is underserved, but they're not unserved, plus BDL is only about an hour away, which is shorter than the distance from one end of a major metro area to an airport in many instances.

TOL you could say also fits the underserved, but not unserved category.

As for unserved - Gary, Indiana!

On July 19th, the federal court trial will render a verdict in the New Haven's law suit against the state which opposes the expanding of its 5600 foot runway. Some years ago, New Haven was listed as the most underserved city in the country. NW tried twice to start service to DTW but the weight restrictions would have been too great, same for AA wanting to use the ERJ-145 to ORD. SW also surveyed the airport with the same ending. The city should win the case as the state's opposition violates federal interstate commerce laws. BDL is almost in Massachusetts, and at times traffic in Hartford is bumper to bumper. HVN has its own market to draw from which is quite large, over the years two nearby commercial airports have lost airline service, GON and BDR.
Several airlines are waiting for HVN to expand its runway to start service, one being Allegiant. The Dash-8 fleet is winding down very fast at Piedmont and without the runway extension, airline service service will end at New Haven.

I hope the lawsuit will favor New Haven/Tweed. However from what I am hearing (and this might be just rumors at this point) Once the Piedmont Dash 8's are retired PHL service will still be served by PSA CRJ-200's.

mtnwest1979

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:54 am

DariusBieber wrote:
Del Rio, TX comes to mind. It's a three hour drive to the nearest commercial service at SAT. It used to be served by the EMB-120s from IAH, which was a perfect plane for that route. With many airliners and aircraft manufacturers shying away from making smaller regional jets, places like DRT might not see commercial service again.

Well Texas Sky/Public Charters started a n/s to DFW May 1, so beats a kick in the butt I suppose.

globalcabotage

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:56 am

UWPAviation wrote:
Carbondale, Illinois comes to mind for me. It's one of if not the largest city in southern Illinois, and has Southern Illinois University with around 15,000 students. The vast majority of those students are from Chicago-land.

Im surprised neither AA or UA has regional flight from ORD down there. I'd like to think that during school it would be popular for students getting back home. And southern Illinois is a pretty beautiful area.

Shocked that there hasn't been a direct albeit 1-stop since Air Illinois many years ago. Same for other Midwest cities that Britt, MVA, Simmons, and Air Wisconsin did on props or those 80s jets. My how the times have changed. Maybe Carbondale will come up with incentives. The state of Illinois can't since they are broke.

kgaiflyer

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:06 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
brianK73 wrote:
State of Delaware comes to mind.

PHL, with 30 million passengers a year and ~500 scheduled flights a day, is within an hour's drive for a majority of DE's population.

Most PHL flights underbid any flights Wilmington is able to get.

Service there never lasts long.

Super80Fan

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:09 am

sasd209 wrote:

Super80Fan wrote:
cheapgreek wrote:

On July 19th, the federal court trial will render a verdict in the New Haven's law suit against the state which opposes the expanding of its 5600 foot runway. Some years ago, New Haven was listed as the most underserved city in the country. NW tried twice to start service to DTW but the weight restrictions would have been too great, same for AA wanting to use the ERJ-145 to ORD. SW also surveyed the airport with the same ending. The city should win the case as the state's opposition violates federal interstate commerce laws. BDL is almost in Massachusetts, and at times traffic in Hartford is bumper to bumper. HVN has its own market to draw from which is quite large, over the years two nearby commercial airports have lost airline service, GON and BDR.
Several airlines are waiting for HVN to expand its runway to start service, one being Allegiant. The Dash-8 fleet is winding down very fast at Piedmont and without the runway extension, airline service service will end at New Haven.

I hope the lawsuit will favor New Haven/Tweed. However from what I am hearing (and this might be just rumors at this point) Once the Piedmont Dash 8's are retired PHL service will still be served by PSA CRJ-200's.

Nope, oral arguments were yesterday and the judge now has 60 days to make a decision. The only "news" from HVN is that they received a government grant to noise proof homes.

knope2001

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:20 am

globalcabotage wrote:
UWPAviation wrote:
Carbondale, Illinois comes to mind for me. It's one of if not the largest city in southern Illinois, and has Southern Illinois University with around 15,000 students. The vast majority of those students are from Chicago-land.

Im surprised neither AA or UA has regional flight from ORD down there. I'd like to think that during school it would be popular for students getting back home. And southern Illinois is a pretty beautiful area.

Shocked that there hasn't been a direct albeit 1-stop since Air Illinois many years ago. Same for other Midwest cities that Britt, MVA, Simmons, and Air Wisconsin did on props or those 80s jets. My how the times have changed. Maybe Carbondale will come up with incentives. The state of Illinois can't since they are broke.

Three trains per day with fares as low as $27 make air service between Chicago and Carbondale a tough proposition. The train is around 5:15-5:30, but at 300 miles a nonstop Caravan would probably take about two hours to fly. Something faster like a Beech 1900 might shave 40 minutes off. But the couple of hours of net time saved probably doesn't come close to justifying the sort of fare it would take to support those flights. On the train you can go home for the weekend for around $60-70 round trip, where a flight home would probably be more like $250-$300 round trip. Just not too likely.

Idlewildspotter

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:41 am

RUT vermont... South vermont could use something other than Cape Air's C402.

cheapgreek

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:25 pm

sasd209 wrote:

The judge has yet to give his decision. It was reported it could take up to 60 days. Kind of sad how slow things move.

Super80Fan wrote:
cheapgreek wrote:

phluser

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:31 pm

kgaiflyer wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
brianK73 wrote:
State of Delaware comes to mind.

PHL, with 30 million passengers a year and ~500 scheduled flights a day, is within an hour's drive for a majority of DE's population.

Most PHL flights underbid any flights Wilmington is able to get.

Service there never lasts long.

What do you mean by PHL flights underbid Wilmington? PHL is very close to northern DE, but neither airport bids for flights. I wonder if southern DE pax use SBY, but in DE, some also use BWI.

HVNandrew

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Idlewildspotter wrote:
RUT vermont... South vermont could use something other than Cape Air's C402.

RUT is both sparsely populated and economically stagnant. 9K is probably the only way that airport can be profitably served, and it's a good option - I'd rather take 9K, a very established airline in BOS and the NE generally, with good relationships with other airlines for onward connections, versus an EAS carrier that changes frequently and might not have interline agreements.

RUT also isn't that far from other viable options. 90 minutes to BTV and just short of 2 hours from ALB, both of which have plenty of service.

globalcabotage

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:55 am

knope2001 wrote:
globalcabotage wrote:
UWPAviation wrote:

Three trains per day with fares as low as $27 make air service between Chicago and Carbondale a tough proposition. The train is around 5:15-5:30, but at 300 miles a nonstop Caravan would probably take about two hours to fly. Something faster like a Beech 1900 might shave 40 minutes off. But the couple of hours of net time saved probably doesn't come close to justifying the sort of fare it would take to support those flights. On the train you can go home for the weekend for around $60-70 round trip, where a flight home would probably be more like $250-$300 round trip. Just not too likely.

Valid point. But COU and MHT ponied up some $ and the flight took off, literally. I know IL can't afford toilet mints, but MDH could serve ORD, and possibly DFW on Eagle. They seem to make it work.

rajincajun01

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:04 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
Yflyer wrote:

I think just about every other AA Dash market can probably be flown exclusively with RJs or consolidated into fewer flights using only RJs. Even routes like CLT-FLO or CLT-PGV, which are served exclusively with Dashes now 4x in summer, can probably be served 3x/day with RJs.

Pitt-Greenville has been a mix of DH8 and CRJ for several years now. PGV even added two jetbridges in a recent upgrade.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos