Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kiowa
Topic Author

rappers claim Delta racial profiling

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:00 am

I am sure that there is still some racial profiling done by some people in places but there must be more to this. Delta certainly has no policy against any racial group.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/rap- ... ng-n780971

ninspeed

Re: rappers claim Delta racial profiling

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:20 am

"Captin, we have a passenger who will not buckle up or store his baggage properly"

" Have you asked the passenger to do so?"

"No, he is black"

"Roger, Delta 1532 requesting immediate return to gate, please have police waiting"

.... or not..... I am sure there is a lot to this story that includes both parties taking something out of contex and over reacting.

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:30 am

I do find it very interesting that Delta appears to have created an extra flight for just them, in the form of a SkyWest CRJ-200. Leads me to believe that there's definitely more to the story.

phatfarmlines

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:41 am

MesaFlyGuy wrote:
I do find it very interesting that Delta appears to have created an extra flight for just them, in the form of a SkyWest CRJ-200. Leads me to believe that there's definitely more to the story.

As companies have discovered the power of social media in destroying brands, it's best to start pacifying the offended and turn it into a positive situation.

jbmitt

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:42 am

MesaFlyGuy wrote:

I wondered about that. I live here in DSM and there were a couple of news articles about it. I can't say that I know any of their music. Here's the flight:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SKW ... /KATL/KDSM

Jetty

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:59 am

These 'rappers' look like idiots, all due to their own choice. If any profiling has been done by DL they were probably profiled as idiots, as would have white people wearing such a ridiculous outfit.

Their manager told TMZ, which first reported the news, that the three members of the group were in first class, and Takeoff's bag was on the ground and not in the overhead storage as required.

A video of the incident itself obtained by TMZ shows a flight attendant and the rappers discussing the situation, with threats of a lawsuit leveled at Delta. Takeoff was reportedly the only one kicked off the flight, but Quavo and Offset, as well as their manager, also left in solidarity.

I do appreciate that they didn't didn't allow 'Takeoff' to take off. :rotfl:

Adipocere

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:33 am

A rapper called "Takeoff" kicked off a flight?? Seriously?? This article sounds like the script to a SNL skit.

ualtoth

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:19 am

Takeoff is an actual rapper. Not well known, but he is. This does not sound like racial profiling. I'm sure there is way more to the story than the article states.

jetblueguy22

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:22 am

A guy named takeoff, kicked off a flight. I'm sorry, but the irony in this screams attention grab.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:56 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
A guy named takeoff, kicked off a flight. I'm sorry, but the irony in this screams attention grab.

Has he changed his name to "Grounded" or "Delayed" yet?

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:32 am

If Takeoff was asleep, why can't Quavo or Offset help put the bag in the overhead luggage bin?

oldannyboy

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:59 am

Sad to see a great company like DL offering a whole aircraft for these three stupid-looking gangsta bros just because their are afraid of bad PR repercussions for an entirely legitimate deplaning. If you act stupid and are unable to follow simple instructions like stowing your bags safely away for take off, then in my book are unfit for travel and flying, rapper or not, famous or not. Race has nothing to do with the story. Had it been up to me they would have taken greyhound all the way to Iowa.

Osiris

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 am

No. It's not racial profiling at all.

They were acting like idiots and contrary to the safety of all other passengers so Delta dealt with them accordingly.

People who think this is racial profiling are clearly advocating blacks be subject to more relaxed rules for fear of offending their precious complexes.

smokeybandit

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:31 am

When someone quickly whips out the racial profiling card, it usually means there was no racial profiling.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Reminds me of one of the UK police reality TV series during which a thug (who also happened to be black) was caught bang to rights stealing. He shouted to the camera crew something along the lines of "they is arrestin' me coz I is black innit".

Stamp out racism. There is no place for it. While stamping it out... remember that every time the "race" card is played out of turn, the fight for equality takes a big knock backwards.

IADCA

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:55 pm

There's another pretty obvious angle that people are ignoring amidst all the race hoopla. To me, this looks like a pretty simple case of celebrities acting like celebrities and being shocked at being treated like Joe Average.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:57 pm

IADCA wrote:
There's another pretty obvious angle that people are ignoring amidst all the race hoopla. To me, this looks like a pretty simple case of celebrities acting like celebrities and being shocked at being treated like Joe Average.

To be fair it is the "celebrities" themselves (or at least their manager?) that turned it into a race race. But yeah, celebrities and their egos. There was a thread here a few years back along the lines of "which celebrities have you met onboard and what were they like". The commentary was rather interesting.

sw733

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:00 pm

kiowa wrote:
I am sure that there is still some racial profiling done by some people in places

Uh, yes, lots of it. Not saying this is a case of that, but racial profiling is still very rampant in the United States.

739er

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:24 pm

So if this dumbas$ were allowed to just leave his luggage in the aisle...And this plane had slid off the runway, broken up, caught fire and had to be evacuated...And your family members were impeded from reaching the exits in an expeditious manner???...Well, Mr. "Takeoff", I don't give a crap what color you are... YOU obviously don't give a crap about the safety of the other passengers on that plane and in my opinion should have been banned for life by Delta for intentionally disrupting a flightcrew... Instead, Delta rewarded you with your own private jet. PEOPLE...WAKE UP!

TerminalD

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:34 pm

I think as a Southern company Delta is at risk of these types of charges, whether they are guilty or not. It is an unfortunate outgrowth of the current climate and the company's historic attachment to the South.

wn676

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:58 pm

"Raindrops, drop tops, your bag must be stowed before takeoff."

mcdu

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:00 pm

TerminalD wrote:
I think as a Southern company Delta is at risk of these types of charges, whether they are guilty or not. It is an unfortunate outgrowth of the current climate and the company's historic attachment to the South.

This two events in one week where DL has been accused of racial bias combined with a company dependent going berserk on a plane, harming people and causing a divert. These ongoing PR issues for DL are growing steadily.

exunited

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:11 pm

mcdu wrote:
TerminalD wrote:

This two events in one week where DL has been accused of racial bias combined with a company dependent going berserk on a plane, harming people and causing a divert. These ongoing PR issues for DL are growing steadily.

Clearly the brand is permanently damaged with these never ending PR failures.

guyanam

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
".

Stamp out racism. There is no place for it. While stamping it out... remember that every time the "race" card is played out of turn, the fight for equality takes a big knock backwards.

I agree with this. The sad thing about playing the race card out of turn is that it allows the many who behave appropriately and are racially profiled to be not taken seriously by the crowd who pretends as if racism no longer exists. Or more likely who wish to engage in racism, but in a covert way.

guyanam

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:23 pm

sw733 wrote:
kiowa wrote:
I am sure that there is still some racial profiling done by some people in places

Uh, yes, lots of it. Not saying this is a case of that, but racial profiling is still very rampant in the United States.

It is also rampant in loads of other places, not just the USA.

sw733

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:25 pm

guyanam wrote:
sw733 wrote:
kiowa wrote:

It is also rampant in loads of other places, not just the USA.

Yes, of course, but the story is about the USA, so I mentioned the USA. As a mixed race person who grew up in Africa, now lives in the USA, and travels globally for work, I've absolutely seen it all over the world. But there are too many people who don't realize how big of an issue it really is in the USA.

BravoOne

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Might guess his would dragged down into the PC swamp. Get over it. If don't want to stow your bags then it really doesn't make any difference what shade you are. Your wrong and need to comply or get of the airplane. Is that to much someone to understand? It's not a big issue unless to want to use it as an EXCUSE for strange unacceptable behavior.

DfwAussie

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:40 pm

TerminalD wrote:

The U.S. south is not the only place racism exists. They may be more blatant about it, but don't lump one region when it is a nationwide, in fact worldwide problem wherever white people are the majority.

As for this incident, I call B.S. If the guy's luggage was not stowed, why didn't someone traveling with him wake him up, or simply do what was requested?

Virtual737

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:05 pm

DfwAussie wrote:
in fact worldwide problem wherever white people are the majority.

It's not just where white people are the majority, although admittedly that is the biggest case. I live in a foreign country, am white, and see pure racism against me every single day. It only seems to be called racism where white people are the majority though.

LAX772LR

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:48 pm

An airline based in Atlanta and with a major hub in Detroit, has a problem with Black people? Hmm :scratchchin:

Isolated incidents can happen anywhere, but if they're trying to make it seem like DL has some kind of policy for such, then that's going to be a tough row to hoe.

DfwAussie

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
DfwAussie wrote:

It's not just where white people are the majority, although admittedly that is the biggest case. I live in a foreign country, am white, and see pure racism against me every single day. It only seems to be called racism where white people are the majority though.

My apology, I understand. It seems to be more "newsworthy" when it's committed by whites, but it can come from any race.

lavalampluva

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:13 pm

They can NOT be that big of a deal. They flew commercial. :lol:

stl07

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:24 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
They can NOT be that big of a deal. They flew commercial. :lol:

Im a rap music enthusiast and I'v never heard of them. Also I defiantly agree that the constant struggle for equality is constantly hampered by people crying the race card.

77H

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Osiris wrote:
No. It's not racial profiling at all.

They were acting like idiots and contrary to the safety of all other passengers so Delta dealt with them accordingly.

People who think this is racial profiling are clearly advocating blacks be subject to more relaxed rules for fear of offending their precious complexes.

How your post hasn't been deleted yet is beyond me. As a person of color myself, can you please inform me what precious complexes I have or that of my family members? Your post is an example of racial profiling. Assuming that all blacks have some sort of precious complex is a stereotype, in turn a type of profiling. And I say "all blacks" because you in no way tried to discern what members of that "race" you were speaking of, you simply said "blacks". Since we're going down this road and not a single mod had the wherewithal to delete it, what about the precious complex of the whites? The one of superiority? Always at the ready to deal out judgement at moments notice because these gentlemen don't dress and act exactly as you do which makes them "stupid-looking thugs and idiots". I am looking at you oldannyboy.

These rappers acted in no way different than that goon Alec Baldwin and I didn't see a single person in that thread call Alec Baldwin a thug even though he exhibited more thuggish behavior than all three of these guys combined.

77H

GatorClark

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Oh yes this is absolutely racism.. They found ONE black guy who didn't listen to crew member instructions and decided to leave his bag in the aisle, and picked on him.. Totally ignoring at least TWO other black guys in the immediate vicinity. I say at least because I have no clue who their manager is nor do I really care. These days all you have to do is flash a race card or some kind of discrimination card and you could get any company to do almost anything just so that they avoid bad PR.. And I don't but it that he was "asleep" I've had flight attendants wake me up just to get me to lift my tray table in preparation for landing and that was on Delta so that is a very flimsy argument.

guyanam

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:22 pm

DfwAussie wrote:
The U.S. south is not the only place racism exists. They may be more blatant about it, but don't lump one region when it is a nationwide, in fact worldwide problem wherever white people are the majority.

As for this incident, I call B.S. If the guy's luggage was not stowed, why didn't someone traveling with him wake him up, or simply do what was requested?

White Liberals in the North love to pretend as if its a southern thing. The issue however is that blacks are migrating away from states like NY and CA to states like TX, GA, and NC. As some one said racism is every where. Not just in the South.

MD88CLE

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:33 pm

DfwAussie wrote:

I didn't get the impression TerminalD was saying anything to that effect. I think the point, rather, is that a business headquartered in that part of the US may not be given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to cases where racism might be perceived.

77H

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:48 pm

guyanam wrote:
DfwAussie wrote:

White Liberals in the North love to pretend as if its a southern thing. The issue however is that blacks are migrating away from states like NY and CA to states like TX, GA, and NC. As some one said racism is every where. Not just in the South.

Lets dissect this post. "The issue however is that blacks are migrating". Why is this an issue? And do you speak of all groups of people as if they're animals moving from the breeding grounds to the feeding grounds? While I imagine you didn't intend your post to come off this way, the manner in which we speak about people can make a difference. If we were talking about white people would you say, "the issue is we have a bunch of whites migrating from A to B?" Something tells me you would have worded it differently. Perhaps using the word "moving" instead of migrate, and perhaps not say "the issue". The dictionary literally defines the word issue as "a problem for debate or discussion".

77H

guyanam

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:26 am

77H wrote:
Lets dissect this post. "The issue however is that blacks are migrating". Why is this an issue?
77H

I am an immigrant who migrated to the USA. I can assure you that this wasn't a mere move. Since being in NYC I have moved several times. There was a huge difference between making a decision to migrate to the USA, where I knew no one, and where there was significant risk involved, and deciding to move house to upgrade living arrangements. Leaving one part of the USA to live in another also has its own risks, especially where one's social network mightn't be that strong.

"The issue" is about racism in the South vs. racism in other parts of the USA. "The issue" is if racism is worse in the South than it is elsewhere then we wouldn't see a net migration of blacks FROM the North, Midwest and West coast to the South. "The issue" is that many of these internal migrants are the grandkids of people who left the South, fleeing racism, so are hardly naïve about what the South brings.

"The issue" is that those who try to paint DL as being less sensitive about issues surrounding race than say B6, because its core base is ATL and not NYC are then suggesting that this net migration of blacks TO the South AWAY from the Northeast, Midwest and the West Coast, is irrational.

And yes there is net migration of white millennials to the same liberal enclaves from which many black millennials are fleeing. You see both whites and blacks migrate. And I see enough starving white millennials in NYC to know that it doesn't always work out.

SomebodyInTLS

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:46 am

DfwAussie wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
DfwAussie wrote:

My apology, I understand. It seems to be more "newsworthy" when it's committed by whites, but it can come from any race.

Here's my personal racist statement: as a naive student I was shocked just how racist Asians turn out to be! Not only to blacks but also to each other. Even between neighbouring countries, even within their own countries.

Oh yeah, and another one: Eastern Europeans are all racist too! :duck:

(To be clear, this is all very tongue in cheek - although based on real experience)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos