Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

anshabhi
Topic Author

IndiGo to go longhaul!!

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:53 am

In its ongoing con call, IndiGo has announced low cost long haul operations will be launched, irrespective of how AI story turns out.

Some updates: https://mobile.twitter.com/shukla_tarun ... 199040?p=v

Now every foreign airline, operating a hub from Indian traffic has a big reason to worry!

sibibom

Re: IndiGo to go longhaul!!

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:01 pm

I see a swamp A330 neos heading to Indian shores come 2019

anshabhi
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:14 pm

sibibom wrote:

Let's see if that happens or they wait to acquire AI's long haul fleet and expand it.

vadodara

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:16 pm

<<AI has taken 70 years to create huge network, we cant do it quickly, slots at airports like Heathrow, JFK constrained: IndiGo's Gangwal>>

Rakesh Gangwal has spoken. We can end all speculation now.

Looks like IndiGo is seeing the likes of Norwegian start long haul services sucessfully; expect a slew of flights out of BOM/DEL etc.

sibibom

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:18 pm

anshabhi wrote:
sibibom wrote:

Let's see if that happens or they wait to acquire AI's long haul fleet and expand it.

IndiGo not looking at all the Air India assets, looking at only airline Air India's international operations : IndiGo's Rahul Bhatia

fleet is mostly leased and may not end up staying

VTORD

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:23 pm

vadodara wrote:
<<AI has taken 70 years to create huge network, we cant do it quickly, slots at airports like Heathrow, JFK constrained: IndiGo's Gangwal>>

Looks like IndiGo is seeing the likes of Norwegian start long haul services sucessfully; expect a slew of flights out of BOM/DEL etc.

Might we see some regular service to LGW from India now? AFAIK, Thomas Cook is the only one with a seasonal GOI flight correct?

anshabhi
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Some more updates: https://mobile.twitter.com/someshjha7/s ... 333440?p=v

sibibom wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
sibibom wrote:

IndiGo not looking at all the Air India assets, looking at only airline Air India's international operations : IndiGo's Rahul Bhatia

fleet is mostly leased and may not end up staying

Doesn't looks like this...
We would have to take liabilities associated with airplanes and lease obligations of Air India

IndiGo's plans are aimed at throwing SQ and ME3 out of India.

dtw2hyd

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:58 pm

anshabhi wrote:

Finally, someone said it, hope it didn't offend any Indian politicians, journalists, and bloggers.

I hope 6E will consider B787 and Boeing will offer a good deal including Goldcare.

anshabhi
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:00 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

Finally, someone said it, hope it didn't offend any Indian politicians, journalists, and bloggers.

I hope 6E will consider B787 and Boeing will offer a good deal including Goldcare.

Just to clarify. They didn't exactly say this, but said various things which point towards this.. You may read the tweets above....

unrave

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:26 pm

This is very big news. Essentially 6E wants to follow the footsteps of Air Asia.
Last edited by unrave on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anshabhi
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:30 pm

Complete audio of concall (skip first 10 min):
https://m.soundcloud.com/user104599280/ ... t-61130-pm

(source: tarun shukla on Twitter)

vadodara

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:42 pm

VTORD wrote:

Might we see some regular service to LGW from India now? AFAIK, Thomas Cook is the only one with a seasonal GOI flight correct?

Depends on the market; if you are talking about sunbathers to Goa, than the likes of Gatwick, Manchaster etc are in play.

If you are targeting the business/VFR traffic, then the area around London City/Hounslow is where the traffic is. Perhaps, that prompted the interest in AI with its access to LHR.

vadodara

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:45 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

Unlike AI, Indigo does not get govt. hand-outs. It is entitled to set its strategy independent of Indian politicians, journalists and bloggers.

It seems like lot of bloggers have pointed that out as well.

TC957

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:47 pm

I bet Vijay Mallya is looking at this news and thinking if only Kingfisher had survived...

anshabhi
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:56 pm

TC957 wrote:
I bet Vijay Mallya is looking at this news and thinking if only Kingfisher had survived...

IndiGo has a business model. Mallaya only had "models"

Do you thinks 6E will operate ULH low cost flights to NA?
Last edited by anshabhi on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryga

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:04 pm

VTORD wrote:
vadodara wrote:

Nope, Thomson (TUI) have been operating GOI for a fair few years out of Gatwick now.

CaliguyNYC

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:26 pm

I think IndiGo should buy some 787 or A350s and start India-LGW-US. Its really the only intermediate point that can fill seats on both the EU-India and EU-US legs. Maybe partner with BA/AA with some sort of JV. Let BA keep the premium traffic and IndiGo the cheap traffic. Allows BA to hurt Norwegian without using BA cost structure.

raylee67

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:54 pm

anshabhi wrote:

I think this is a bit dramatic... ME3 is connecting India with a wide range of European and American destinations. Indigo is probably not going to do Chennai-Houston or Ahmadabad-Seattle or Hyderabad-Birmingham. And also even in the VFR market, there are still quite some people willing to pay a little bit more for normal economy class service. Indigo will definitely get a foothold in the market, but ME3 is not going to go away. They will just serve different market segments. As for SQ, I suppose most of the SQ flights to India are O&D traffic or connection to Australia. SQ will keep 99% of the business travelers. Just like AirAsia is not taking the most important passengers away from CX on HKG-KUL. SQ is not going to lose too much sleep over Indigo.

TheGeordielad

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:55 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
I think IndiGo should buy some 787 or A350s and start India-LGW-US. Its really the only intermediate point that can fill seats on both the EU-India and EU-US legs. Maybe partner with BA/AA with some sort of JV. Let BA keep the premium traffic and IndiGo the cheap traffic. Allows BA to hurt Norwegian without using BA cost structure.

Whether they can get slots is another thing.

Newbiepilot

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:04 pm

sibibom wrote:

Depends on where they want to fly. An A330neo won't make it to North America but would work to Europe and Asia.

anshabhi
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:21 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:

I don't even remotely expect that to happen.
The way 6E has been so far, it's quite clear they are not going to partner anyone.

They are confident enough that they will be able to fill aircraft ex-India (if you have an hour, please listen the entire conference call)...

PM

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Much my favourite Indian airline. Good luck to them!

Cunard

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:06 pm

vadodara wrote:
VTORD wrote:

If you are targeting the business/VFR traffic, then the area around London City/Hounslow is where the traffic is. Perhaps, that prompted the interest in AI with its access to LHR.

The Indian diaspora wasn't living in Hounslow when Air India inaugurated their first flight to London from Bombay (Mumbai) on the 08 June 1948.

Antarius

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:20 pm

raylee67 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

I think this is a bit dramatic... ME3 is connecting India with a wide range of European and American destinations. Indigo is probably not going to do Chennai-Houston or Ahmadabad-Seattle or Hyderabad-Birmingham. And also even in the VFR market, there are still quite some people willing to pay a little bit more for normal economy class service. Indigo will definitely get a foothold in the market, but ME3 is not going to go away. They will just serve different market segments. As for SQ, I suppose most of the SQ flights to India are O&D traffic or connection to Australia. SQ will keep 99% of the business travelers. Just like AirAsia is not taking the most important passengers away from CX on HKG-KUL. SQ is not going to lose too much sleep over Indigo.

Thanks for posting some sense amongst the rah-rah crowd.

This is good news for sure, for 6E and budget conscious travelers. That said, business travelers, F and J passengers and others will not suddenly be flocking away from the quality product of the ME3 or SQ.

anshabhi
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Antarius wrote:
raylee67 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

This is good news for sure, for 6E and budget conscious travelers. That said, business travelers, F and J passengers and others will not suddenly be flocking away from the quality product of the ME3 or SQ.

TBH, this is the biggest threat that ME3 have ever faced. Much bigger than any laptop ban or anything else.
Y passengers contribute a large part of revenue. And obviously, 6E will also have some Norwegian/Scoot/AirAsia X like 180° recline seats. The advantages of nonstops over one stop might pull even premium pax to 6E.

Antarius

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:35 pm

anshabhi wrote:
Antarius wrote:
raylee67 wrote:

TBH, this is the biggest threat that ME3 have ever faced. Much bigger than any laptop ban or anything else.
Y passengers contribute a large part of revenue. And obviously, 6E will also have some Norwegian/Scoot/AirAsia X like 180° recline seats. The advantages of nonstops over one stop might pull even premium pax to 6E.

This is an opinion. and no on ULH routes, Y pax do not contribute a large part of revenue.

dtw2hyd

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Antarius wrote:
raylee67 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

They will be flocking to SkyTeam.

Antarius

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:38 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Antarius wrote:
raylee67 wrote:

They will be flocking to SkyTeam.

??

dtw2hyd

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Antarius wrote:
??

For all the ME3 publicity about being one-stop leaders between India-USA, ME3 at best has 144 combinations (12x12), AI will have 205 (41x5) and SkyTeam will have 186 (6x31). Ignoring AI, SkyTeam will be the true one-stop provider.

anshabhi
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:48 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Antarius wrote:
??

For all the ME3 publicity about being one-stop leaders between India-USA, ME3 at best has 144 combinations (12x12), AI will have 205 (41x5) and SkyTeam will have 186 (6x31). Ignoring AI, SkyTeam will be the true one-stop provider.

That's rather weird! Assuming 9W isn't a skyteam member, they serve only 4-5 Destinations in India! ME3 have convenient connections to India, and a much more tailored experience for an Indian flyer. And do you really mean AI carries more pax to US than ME3 combined?

YouGeeElWhy

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:51 pm

Great news for India and 6E. If they are following the Air Aisa model I find it hard to believe they will be flying to the Western Hemisphere, since in that model you load up an A330 with 9 across or an A350 with 10 across. That type of density which is needed in this model will never consider North America.

dtw2hyd wrote:
Antarius wrote:
??

the "??" was about where does Skyteam come into this with 6E?

PlanesNTrains

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
sibibom wrote:

Depends on where they want to fly. An A330neo won't make it to North America but would work to Europe and Asia.

A339/A359 or some combo like that would work. Of course, 787s or a 787/777X mix would too. I'm leaning towards the former though.

alfa164

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:03 pm

anshabhi wrote:

:lol: Th ME3 have unlimited (government!) pocketbooks; 6E does not. If it wants to start a war with EK/EY/QR, it won't even be around when the dust settles.

IndiGo has established a successful niche market; it may expand slowly and find success... but it also needs to be careful whose ox it gores.

dtw2hyd

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:22 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
the "??" was about where does Skyteam come into this with 6E?

I thought we were predicting we will succeed on USA-India. It will be Norwegian-Indigo LCC and SkyTeam FSC. Rest will be history.

ME3 are actually hybrid, so double whammy for them.

scbriml

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:35 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
A339/A359 or some combo like that would work.

Given their deep relationship with Airbus, that would be the most obvious choice (assuming they want new planes). Not their only choice, but the most likely, IMHO.

lightsaber

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Antarius wrote:
raylee67 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

I agree. This overdue good news won't suddenly offer the connectivity of the ME3 or SQ. What it will do is grab new P2P routes that are only viable with the ULCC model.

Airbus and Boeing both need this order. Indigo will get a great deal.

They will only take Air India for the right price. I still believe their AI bid is for the data and to spoil Tata getting the company cheap. I will be eating crow if they buy AI.

Air India now has three years for significant reform or they should be folded. This spells doom to their current so called business model. The GoI will be able to spend the subsidies on useful infrastructure.

Ghad I want to know who wins this order. It won't be A330NEOs. They fly lowest CASM aircraft bought cheap due to bulk discounts. It is a buyers market for widebodies. I see either 789 and 787-10 or A359 with options on the -1000 and probably larger, if offered. There will be no resale market for A330NEOs which kills Indigo's sale/Leaseback financing.

Lightsaber

anshabhi
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:12 am

lightsaber wrote:
I agree. This overdue good news won't suddenly offer the connectivity of the ME3 or SQ. What it will do is grab new P2P routes that are only viable with the ULCC model.

Airbus and Boeing both need this order. Indigo will get a great deal.

They will only take Air India for the right price. I still believe their AI bid is for the data and to spoil Tata getting the company cheap. I will be eating crow if they buy AI.

Air India now has three years for significant reform or they should be folded. This spells doom to their current so called business model. The GoI will be able to spend the subsidies on useful infrastructure.

Ghad I want to know who wins this order. It won't be A330NEOs. They fly lowest CASM aircraft bought cheap due to bulk discounts. It is a buyers market for widebodies. I see either 789 and 787-10 or A359 with options on the -1000 and probably larger, if offered. There will be no resale market for A330NEOs which kills Indigo's sale/Leaseback financing.

Lightsaber

IndiGo can obviously operate a hub. The worrying fact is they can operate a hub in any of the top 5 Indian Airports. They have such a good feed network. The connections which either of these provide are no match to the depth and timings of 6E.
6E only needs to develop the long haul network, and if they acquire AI, even that will get a big kickstart.

I would like to know how will they manage terminals at Delhi and Mumbai. Their domestic operations are from T1. Would we see long haul flights from T1? (All current long haul flights operate from T3).
Similar story in Mumbai.

unrave

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:43 am

anshabhi wrote:

I would like to know how will they manage terminals at Delhi and Mumbai. Their domestic operations are from T1. Would we see long haul flights from T1? (All current long haul flights operate from T3).
Similar story in Mumbai.

Does T1 in DEL have customs and immigration facilities?

anshabhi
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:03 am

unrave wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

Similar story in Mumbai.

Does T1 in DEL have customs and immigration facilities?

I think no. IndiGo's intl flights depart from T3.

alfa164

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:20 am

anshabhi wrote:
[IndiGo can obviously operate a hub. The worrying fact is they can operate a hub in any of the top 5 Indian Airports. They have such a good feed network. The connections which either of these provide are no match to the depth and timings of 6E. 6E only needs to develop the long haul network, and if they acquire AI, even that will get a big kickstart. I would like to know how will they manage terminals at Delhi and Mumbai. Their domestic operations are from T1. Would we see long haul flights from T1? (All current long haul flights operate from T3). Similar story in Mumbai.

..and, as I mentioned before, those are the type of infrastructure limitations that will either be very costly to change, or will continue to prevent any Indian airport from being truly competitive as a hub.

Flighty

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:00 am

Oh my gosh I didn't know Rakesh Gangwal is CEO of Indigo. Yet another former USAir exec running an airline.

behramjee

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:56 am

sibibom wrote:

Yes this would be the best way going forward as A320 flight deck crew can operate A330NEOs after just doing a cross qualification course certifying them on both types. In addition this aircraft type would more cheaper to purchase versus A350s. Yes the A330NEOs will not have a viable re-sale option down the road, so if they can negotiate something with Airbus where they take 10 A339NEOs for the first 5 years of long haul operations and then swap them for the larger A351 order, that should work.

With regards to 6E's long haul ambitions and wanting to operate the plane in a high density configuration, please note that neither the B77W nor A359 nor B789 can fly nonstop from BOM nor DEL to USA with 440 seats. At the very most, it could do SYD/MEL from DEL nonstop in a HD layout but definitely not North America without a decent payload penalty.

So for its initial 5 year phase of long haul, 6E are better off getting A339NEOs, operating them to Europe, Far East Asia and GCC only.

vadodara

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Cunard wrote:
vadodara wrote:
VTORD wrote:

The Indian diaspora wasn't living in Hounslow when Air India inaugurated their first flight to London from Bombay (Mumbai) on the 08 June 1948.

And pray how many flights per day were being flown LHR to India then? You can combine BOAC, Air India plus all the stop-overs from likes of TWA/Cathay and so forth.

JerseyFlyer

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:48 pm

This is an astute move by Indigo.

They say they want to buy AI's long-haul operation and turn it into a long haul LCC operation - a big turn-around challenge.

They then say that if the AI purchase fails, they will launch the LCC op anyway - less challenging operationally but more so regulation / licence - wise. Once going, this new long haul LCC would compete directly with and undercut the AI international operation, whether state-owned or by then in private ownership.

By this tactic they have substantially reduced the price which the Indian government can expect from the AI sale.

CaliguyNYC

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:33 pm

How do you even run a long haul LLC for points west of India given the ME3? They already have pushed fares between the US and India to $800. How much more can Indigo cut?

dtw2hyd

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:21 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
How do you even run a long haul LLC for points west of India given the ME3? They already have pushed fares between the US and India to $800. How much more can Indigo cut?

ME3 are keeping fares artificially lower with the hope others will disappear, where as a true LHLCC carrier like Norwegian keeps the cost lower. Indigo will follow DY, not EK.

With 64,000 Airline and 95,000 Group employees, there is no way Emirates can cut costs. All they are doing right now is to reduce passenger amenities and employee benefits to survive until oil prices go up and owners can pump some money. If that doesn't work they have to increase fares.

anshabhi
Topic Author

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:33 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:

A slightly awkward way of comparing, but I recently saw a ₹2,400 fare for DEL-BLR with 6E. Multiplying distance and cost by 8, IndiGo could manage ₹20k for 14,000 km, or about $625 for round-trip....

Yeah. This might not be a good way of comparing.....

vadodara

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:34 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:

Seems like Indigo is betting that unless ME3, especially DXB, improve access for Indian airlines, their capacity to India may be limited.

In that scenario, one could bet that the growth may support additional service. Besides, factors like connectivity, loyalty programs, corporate accounts and such may matter in decision making.

In any case, their management has stated their interest in AI due to their network to Gulf as well as slots to Europe/US.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos