Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Video of Dec 2016 helicopter crash near Sao Paulo, Brazil

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:57 am

A friend has told me of this video on http://g1.globo.com/sao-paulo/noticia/c ... ista.ghtml where a Brazilian aviation expert discusses a video taken on a VFR into IMC flight.

The pilot, a passenger and newlywed couple were flying from Osasco, Sao Paulo, to a place where they were supposed to have a wedding buffet. Minutes after take-off, the helicopter finds itself in clouds, and the pilot struggles to find the destination. After 9:30 in the video, the fog is very thick.

Ghastly.

David

WARNING: THE VIDEO IN THE LINK ABOVE MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME USERS
Last edited by atcsundevil on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added disclaimer

tapairbus370

Re: Video of Dec 2016 helicopter crash near Sao Paulo, Brazil

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:49 am

Just to make clear,

It was a pilot, a photographer, the bride and her brother on the helicopter.
They were going to the place where the cerimony would take place. The bride wanted to surpise the groom.

VirginFlyer

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:51 am

That is pretty horrifying, not least the number of opportunities that appear to have been passed up to get back to being visual. It can't be said often enough, you mustn't go VFR into IMC.

Sp people are aware, this is a four fatality, no survivor accident: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=191861 - you probably should point that out so that people realise they are watching a video which shows four people's lives ending in a fairly unpleasant manner.

V/F

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks for pointing out about who the occupants were, and for stressing that all persons on board have been killed. These things get lost when I focus on what happened in the cockpit (the VFR into IMC issue, no plan on how to continue safely..).

David

trnswrld

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Damn, I feel a little uneasy after watching that and you can certainly tell by the look on their faces at some points they did as well. I couldn't understand anything that was being said.... So the helicopter crashed in an area where there were people nearby? You can hear voices after the crash, I assume the occupants were killed on impact? Very sad :-(

tapairbus370

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:19 pm

The people´s voices you ear after the crash are from persons that arrived 2 min after the event. They were almost arriving (2km) to their destination.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:29 am

Did they hit trees or just lose control? It's hard for me to tell. Horrible video and outcome.

ubeema

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:46 am

Wow so tragic. The brother of the bride was feeling very uneasy the whole time. I was still hoping I will hear their voices after the crash. ASN added the photographer was pregnant. RIP to all involved

jslade797

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 am

Absolutely horrifying. Would a Portuguese speaker be kind enough to briefly summarize what the aviation expert says in this clip, and what the cause of the crash was deemed to be?

pdxav8r

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:18 am

[threeid][/threeid]From the sound of it, the stall warning went off just prior to the accident. I'm a fixed wing pilot, not helicopter, but the sound I got was the same as a stall at warning in a fixed wing aircraft. Unfortunately, 'getthereitis' took control. Sad. Totally preventable. And unfortunately, it all comes down to the pilot's judgment. Pilot may have known the area and topography, but made a poor decision (of course mechanical failure could have played a part), but the video just had an ominous feel to it, with the low level IMC). RIP to all onboard.

cschleic

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:38 am

pdxav8r wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]From the sound of it, the stall warning went off just prior to the accident. I'm a fixed wing pilot, not helicopter, but the sound I got was the same as a stall at warning in a fixed wing aircraft. Unfortunately, 'getthereitis' took control. Sad. Totally preventable. And unfortunately, it all comes down to the pilot's judgment. Pilot may have known the area and topography, but made a poor decision (of course mechanical failure could have played a part), but the video just had an ominous feel to it, with the low level IMC). RIP to all onboard.

Yes, sounded like a stall horn.

Note the emphasis on the attitude indicator in the first video...it's all over the place. At a couple of points, they're nearly at a 90 degree angle, and it's almost all blue right before the crash.

HAWKXP

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:44 am

Low rotor rpm horn

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:57 am

HAWKXP wrote:
Low rotor rpm horn

When that happens, you decrease the collective to decrease load on the engine?

David

HAWKXP

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:31 am

Yes, rapidly!!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos