Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EI321

Re: Irish Aviation 7/17 Thread

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:49 am

I don't think the A380 gate at T2 has been built yet? It has planning permission as far as I know.

OA260

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:49 am

hynithuchi wrote:
alancostello wrote:
EI321 wrote:
Qatar airways are considering a second daily Dublin-Doha flight

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... 3?mode=amp

If they want to upgrade the 787 to an a350 I wouldn’t say no either.
With QR just starting their DUB flights and already talking about going double daily, there seems to be an enormous capacity provided by the ME3 and TK. Although Ireland has great market potential, I find it hard to believe that from one day to the next, there is a demand for an extra 250 seats for DOH and beyond, without the other carriers losing out. Hence my question, which carrier is suffering most from QR's new flight and which could be affected most in the future, in particular if QR goes double daily ( which remains to be seen ) ?

The battle is on and certain carriers will be willing to throw capacity at DUB that they cant fill just to be seen even if it looses money for a time. I have no doubt one will exit the market either by reducing drastically their schedule or a withdrawal altogether.

OA260

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:04 am

'Disappointment' at decision by BA to reduce Belfast flights to Heathrow

British Airways is set to cut its weekday flights on the crucial business Belfast to Heathrow route by one-third from the end of October, the Belfast Telegraph can reveal.

The airline said the decision was part of its winter scheduling and would be reviewed ahead of the start of next year’s summer period.

But a group representing the Northern Ireland business community said it will be “disappointed” at the decision to cut weekday connections to the London hub and back from six to four.

Sister airline Aer Lingus is expected to continue its three daily flights on the same route.

British Airways has been operating at George Best Belfast City Airport since buying BMI five years ago.

It closed down previous operations in Belfast International Airport in 2001.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/busin ... 99871.html

Cipango

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:05 pm

kaitak wrote:
I think some of their flights are early morning departures from DOH and others, around 7-8am; they seem to do this with a lot of new routes (I see they are about to launch Prague and they've done much the same thing).

Presumably they'll make both of these times daily. Love the 787 (from a photography perspective), but I agree that a 350 would be better from a passenger comfort perspective.

Good luck to them!

The split schedule allows connections with different departure banks ex-DOH which opens up more of the network to destinations that are only 1 x Daily.

This is very common a lot of daily European flights have this form of schedule.

AirbusA343

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Hello, just curious, I know this sounds stupid but is it free to go planespotting on the Old Airport Road (DUB) at that green mound across the runway? Some have said it costs money but that sounds a bit weird in my opinion. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by AirbusA343 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KIRFlyer

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:31 pm

Zachbt wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40520319

Aer lingus cancelling bucket and spade flights in September, ryanair and easyjet must be really driving prices down to where Aer lingus can't compete at all, not even a break even fire sale.

Can't see them lasting much longer at bhd if the passenger increase up at bfs continues at current trends with the low costs.

Unless they moved back up the road but can't see that happening after the previous acrimonious break up. Ah well!

I have to respectfully disagree with your statement "can't see them lasting much longer at bhd if the passenger increase up at bfs continues at current trends"

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I gathered, EI left BFS for BHD because they wanted to catch the more higher yielding business traffic from Belfast itself. Bucket & Spade traffic from NI is not there primary concern, it is secondary.

I would agree that FR, U2 and LS are probably taking some beach traffic from EI, and that is probably the reason for cancelling the routes, but I would not be worried one bit about these cancellations. As I said it is the business traffic they are after.

As already stated by another poster, and which I wholly agree, if EI can't make BHD work, the most certainly wouldn't be able to make BFS work. As a hypothetical, if EI moved to BFS they would struggle with all the LCC carriers. EI tried to the battle FR under Dermot Mannion, and playing them at their own and failed. They have found a middle ground in their market and are content. As I've said Bucket & Spade are not their primary concern.

On another point, when EI first started BFS operations, I believe they tried a variety of destinations (Rome, Zurich, Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam etc), and they all got canned. They know how to make money in Northern Ireland and that's staying in BHD.

I also disagree with your statement that BHD is a turboprop airport. I know it's runway is short, but many types of jets can land there.

OA260

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:45 pm

KIRFlyer wrote:
On another point, when EI first started BFS operations, I believe they tried a variety of destinations (Rome, Zurich, Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam etc), and they all got canned. They know how to make money in Northern Ireland and that's staying in BHD.

I was on the inaugural AMS flight and then later the FCO flight. Issue with FCO was it was only ever busy at certain periods like holidays and sporting events. At that time there was not enough demand although in fairness to EI they spent a lot marketing the routes and trying to make them work. AMS lacked the KL codeshare which would have made all the difference.

Having access to BFS and BHD I much prefer Belfast City over BFS.

alancostello

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:47 pm

Jayafe wrote:
hynithuchi wrote:
alancostello wrote:
With QR just starting their DUB flights and already talking about going double daily, there seems to be an enormous capacity provided by the ME3 and TK. Although Ireland has great market potential, I find it hard to believe that from one day to the next, there is a demand for an extra 250 seats for DOH and beyond, without the other carriers losing out. Hence my question, which carrier is suffering most from QR's new flight and which could be affected most in the future, in particular if QR goes double daily ( which remains to be seen ) ?

Which makes me ask, unless QR is desperate for getting traffic, why EK is so reluctant to bring teh A380 here?

I thought DUB didn’t have a suitable gate?

TheGeordielad

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Jayafe wrote:
hynithuchi wrote:
alancostello wrote:

Which makes me ask, unless QR is desperate for getting traffic, why EK is so reluctant to bring teh A380 here?

The current runways aren't longer enough for take offs with a decent load.Once the new runway is in place then it could be a possibility.

TheGeordielad

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:12 pm

Jayafe wrote:
hynithuchi wrote:
alancostello wrote:

The current runways aren't longer enough for take offs with a decent load.Once the new runway is in place then it could be a possibility.

OA260

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:15 pm

2,000 people stopped at ports by crackdown on passports

More than 2,000 people have been refused entry to the State through the ports in the first six months of the year.
A key factor in the tightening up of security nationwide is the introduction of instant checks on passports and other travel documents with an Interpol database.
The move was introduced as a crucial measure in immigration security, but also anti-terrorism efforts to track the movements of suspected jihadis.
Up until late last year, checks with Interpol's lost and stolen travel documents database could only be carried out infrequently.
They were usually done in circumstances where there were already suspicions surrounding a document or the person carrying it.
After a highly successful pilot programme at Dublin airport from the end of November, it has been extended to other ports across the State.
New figures show that more than five million travel documents have so far been checked under the new system, involving the vast majority of air passengers arriving here, regardless of nationality or route taken.

Scanned

The new automated system allows for the travel documentation to be scanned instantly by front-line immigration officers at control booths at points of entry, with an immediate response as to whether there has been a "hit" received from the Interpol database.
Airport security is expected to be further enhanced shortly with the introduction of a permanent electronic gate system, which can cope speedily with large volumes of passengers through camera checks.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/20 ... 87937.html

---

Aer Lingus's CEO insists its controversial loyalty scheme is 'of value to the market'
Frequent flyer programme Aerclub has faced heavy criticism since it was launched last year.

AER LINGUS CHIEF executive Stephen Kavanagh has said the airline is “working hard” to fix problems that some customers have experienced with its controversial new frequent flyer programme.

The initiative, called Aerclub, was rolled out in November 2016 to replace the carrier’s 30-year-old Gold Circle loyalty programme, which Kavanagh said earlier this year was “over rewarding” some customers.

http://www.thejournal.ie/stephen-kavana ... 0-Jul2017/

---

CityJet first to get SSJ100 residual value guarantees

Irish carrier CityJet has become the first operator to receive residual value guarantes for Russian Sukhoi Superjet 100 (SSJ100) regional airliners. A total of 1.2 billion rubles ($20 million at the current exchange rate) was allocated in 2015 to cover the six Superjets currently in operation with the carrier, Vedomosti daily reports.

The funds were deposited into the registered capital of the United Aircraft Corporation (UAC), the parent of SSJ100 OEM Sukhoi Civil Aircraft (SCAC). The sum was later transferred to the corporation’s subsidiary UAC Capital, which was founed in the summer of 2015 to support the SSJ100 and Irkut MC-21 programs.

http://www.rusaviainsider.com/cityjet-f ... uarantees/

bx737

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:53 pm

AirbusA343 wrote:
Hello, just curious, I know this sounds stupid but is it free to go planespotting on the Old Airport Road (DUB) at that green mound across the runway? Some have said it costs money but that sounds a bit weird in my opinion. Thanks in advance.

There is an ongoing joke on the Dublin Airport Spotters Facebook page about this. It usually coincides with rumours of an A380's imminent arrival into Dublin and selling tickets to the mound. The mound is just that, a mound at a lay by where people can park and watch planes. There is no charge

EI321

Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Perhaps there are logistical issues that EK are concerned about. For instance we all know what immigration queues can be like in summer without the addition of 500 passengers all joining the queue at once.

Also afaik the A380 airbridge in DUB hasn't actually been built yet?

Ticketyboo

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:36 pm

Flying EK in First quite soon but notice they use the T2 DAA Lounge - yuk. I would have thought that they had sufficient numbers across both daily flights to justify their own lounge by now. I'm keen to give the Platinum Service a shot as an alternative - has anyone experience of this product?

Joelatbsl

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:07 am

BRA RJ85 SE-DJN is due in at Dublin today, arriving with the Rosenborg Trondheim football team:

http://footballcharters.blogspot.com/20 ... -2017.html

OA260

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:31 am

Ticketyboo wrote:
Flying EK in First quite soon but notice they use the T2 DAA Lounge - yuk. I would have thought that they had sufficient numbers across both daily flights to justify their own lounge by now. I'm keen to give the Platinum Service a shot as an alternative - has anyone experience of this product?

EK will only open their own lounge if they can get the space required. This is what seems to be the issue at DUB AFAIK.

BestWestern

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:42 am

Arrived into DUB on QR on Saturday morning. Flight wasn't busy - 120 checked in - but service was perfect.

Terminal 1 in Dublin is again dirty. The baggage hall was a mess. It's not today's dirt, but ingrained dirt from poor cleaning over time. A very poor first impression of Ireland.

As for the screens in the bagggage hall showing next public transport departures - all showing departing 1 day ago....

alancostello

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:45 am

OA260 wrote:
Ticketyboo wrote:

EK will only open their own lounge if they can get the space required. This is what seems to be the issue at DUB AFAIK.

I would imagine there's space between Etihad and Aer Lingus' lounges? Speaking of I'd say Qatar are itching for EI to go OneWorld so they can use their lounge for their flights.

OA260

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:00 am

alancostello wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Ticketyboo wrote:

I would imagine there's space between Etihad and Aer Lingus' lounges? Speaking of I'd say Qatar are itching for EI to go OneWorld so they can use their lounge for their flights.

One would have thought so but obviously not. If EI join OW then EI may need two lounges similar to the old days to cope with the sheer volumes. Otherwise it would be standing room only.

Ticketyboo

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:43 pm

OA260 wrote:
alancostello wrote:
OA260 wrote:

One would have thought so but obviously not. If EI join OW then EI may need two lounges similar to the old days to cope with the sheer volumes. Otherwise it would be standing room only.

Indeed, and they'd need to 'up' the standard of the lounge offering as well. When I began flying EI to LHR regularly and the US once a quarter back in the late 90's early 2000's it was quite a pleasant experience (even had a chauffeur service for Premier TA back then) but then they went all 'lo-cost' and it's never been the same. Can you imagine the crush if the EI lounge was to cater for EI/AA/BA/EY/FIN/IBE. Can you foresee the utter chaos if EI were to go OW and attempt to integrate the abomination that is AerClub?

alancostello

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:17 pm

Ticketyboo wrote:
OA260 wrote:
alancostello wrote:

Indeed, and they'd need to 'up' the standard of the lounge offering as well. When I began flying EI to LHR regularly and the US once a quarter back in the late 90's early 2000's it was quite a pleasant experience (even had a chauffeur service for Premier TA back then) but then they went all 'lo-cost' and it's never been the same. Can you imagine the crush if the EI lounge was to cater for EI/AA/BA/EY/FIN/IBE. Can you foresee the utter chaos if EI were to go OW and attempt to integrate the abomination that is AerClub?

They definitely need to up the standard, came back from Toronto on EI on Sunday evening and had access to the KLM Lounge in YYZ, and what a difference. Numerous (good) hot food options, substantial cold options with quite a bit of variety(make your own salad bar, canapes, sandwiches, assorted other snacks), better alcohol selecion, staff throughout the lounge too. EI's lounge may win slightly on looks, but for substance it was far better.

I suppose with OW only Emeralds and Sapphires get lounge access so it may not be as bad, but capacity would definitely have to be upped.

JAmie2k9

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Looks like United have cancelled SNN-EWR between 26 November and 9 March. During Q1 2018 it will leave DY as the only NY service.

BestWestern

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:23 pm

As ever, there is only a certain level of demand from SNN to the US off season. Norwegian will have killed whatever yield was there this winter.

Do EI still operate a BOS winter service?

JAmie2k9

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:25 pm

BestWestern wrote:
As ever, there is only a certain level of demand from SNN to the US off season. Norwegian will have killed whatever yield was there this winter.

Do EI still operate a BOS winter service?

EI still fly to BOS year round but United dropping is a big thing for SNN.

BestWestern

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Lack of year round interline connectivity means the region will find it harder to attract investment. In many ways, this is worse than EI dropping LHR SNN.

Norwegian squeezing out United is bad news for the region

OA260

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Ticketyboo wrote:
(even had a chauffeur service for Premier TA back then) but then they went all 'lo-cost' and it's never been the same. Can you imagine the crush if the EI lounge was to cater for EI/AA/BA/EY/FIN/IBE. Can you foresee the utter chaos if EI were to go OW and attempt to integrate the abomination that is AerClub?

I was talking about the old Premier service with someone the other day and the chauffeur service was mentioned. It was a great part of the product and I used it a few times myself.

No doubt there will need to be changes to the lounge if and when EI are fully integrated into OW. There are a lot of Sapphires its not that hard to attain.

As for AerClub personally I have seen improvements and nearly all my Tier credit and Avios are in my account. I have also started getting a decent amount of AVIOS via the partners etc.. I know many are still in limbo but hopefully they will get sorted too.

OA260

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 am

New service between Newcastle Airport and Belfast City announced

Here are all the details about the new daily, non-stop route between the North East and Northern Ireland
North East travellers flying to Northern Ireland will now have a bit more choice after another company announced they’ll be covering the route.
Eastern Airways are launching a non-stop service between Newcastle Airport and Belfast City from September 1, 2017.
The operator will fly between the two destinations daily and ticket prices will start at £59 one-way, including taxes and charges.
Newcastle passengers have previously been reliant on Easyjet but this announcement will introduce a bit of competition.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... t-13312234

---

Record passenger growth at Belfast International Airport

BELFAST International Airport has recorded its 24th month of double-digital passenger growth on the back of the success of its core airlines.

Last month, 565,862 passengers used the airport, 14.5 per cent up on the same month last year, while more than 501,000 more passengers were recorded in the first six months of the year, bringing the total to 2.8 million or a growth rate of close to 22 per cent. Coupled with impressive passenger numbers 250 new jobs have been created at the airport in the first six months of 2017.

http://www.irishnews.com/business/2017/ ... t-1080559/

kaitak

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:51 pm

According to Jethros Fleet Listings, Aer Lingus's next A330, LN 1817, will be registered EI-GCF.

OA260

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:28 pm

kaitak wrote:
According to Jethros Fleet Listings, Aer Lingus's next A330, LN 1817, will be registered EI-GCF.

Its a shame they are not like the old days EI-JFK / EI-ORD etc.. EI-MIA would have been nice ;)

shamrock350

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Apparently a DC-3 is due to be painted in retro Aer Lingus colours at Shannon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/35794895716/

No idea why, or for what occasion but it would look great alongside Iolar, especially in the dark green lightning bolt livery.

Shamrock350

kaitak

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Heads up for a newt EI route announcement...Pittsburgh (which was predicted on this form a few moons ago!).

Not sure when it'll happen, but the announcement is expected shortly. Good news for PIT as well as EI; it has pretty limited t/a service, with a fairly spotty history, of stopping and starting. Currently, only Condor, Wow and Delta fly t/a from PIT. Good to see EI mining the potential routes in the US, but assuming that they will be using a 757 on this, either they'll need extra 757 capacity (unlikely) or an existing 757 service will be "promoted" to A330 service.

What other potential routes are within the 757's range from DUB?

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=3900nm+%40DUB

This is based on a range of 3,900nm, but obviously doesn't take into account t/a headwinds; however, given that UA flies to ORD and (in the past) AA to CLT, that gives some idea of range potential. If I were a betting man, YUL would probably be one I'd pick; it is well serviced by other EU carriers (and of course AC), but it's a pretty cosmopolitan city. BNA might be a possibility; it's within range and of course, an AA hub. Possible?

shamrock350

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:42 pm

kaitak wrote:
Heads up for a newt EI route announcement...Pittsburgh (which was predicted on this form a few moons ago!).

Not sure when it'll happen, but the announcement is expected shortly. Good news for PIT as well as EI; it has pretty limited t/a service, with a fairly spotty history, of stopping and starting. Currently, only Condor, Wow and Delta fly t/a from PIT. Good to see EI mining the potential routes in the US, but assuming that they will be using a 757 on this, either they'll need extra 757 capacity (unlikely) or an existing 757 service will be "promoted" to A330 service.

I know the CEO of the DAA spoke about announcing a new PIT service soon but wasn't aware we were expecting it to be by Aer Lingus.

I thought a seasonal LAS was far more likely along with frequency increases elsewhere.

Eirules

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:49 pm

kaitak wrote:

This is based on a range of 3,900nm, but obviously doesn't take into account t/a headwinds; however, given that UA flies to ORD and (in the past) AA to CLT, that gives some idea of range potential. If I were a betting man, YUL would probably be one I'd pick; it is well serviced by other EU carriers (and of course AC), but it's a pretty cosmopolitan city. BNA might be a possibility; it's within range and of course, an AA hub. Possible?

Yeah I suggested this one a few months back. From what I've heard it will indeed be 757, 4weekly initially. I'd completely agree YUL has to be on the map in the near future, given how well AC seem to be doing I wouldn't be surprised if they don't jump in with Rogue first though. Outside of that, PHL is still on my radar. As for an upguage to A330, I suppose it could be IAD but UA have never gone bigger than 757 and can't sustain it 12 months of the year. Perhaps one in SNN for BOS, and then the others rotate between PIT, BDL & IAD? Everything else A330

Jshank83

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:53 pm

kaitak wrote:
BNA might be a possibility; it's within range and of course, an AA hub.

BNA is not an AA hub.

EI121

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:14 pm

kaitak wrote:

Source?

If it is Pittburghs EI have chosen very wisely. I work for one of the US carriers out of DUB and the amount of people connecting to PIT shocked me. I wouldn't be surprised if the route did well on O&D alone never mind connecting pax. Very good choice by EI and a no brainer with a B757.

I agree, YUL would also be a perfect choice too. Very underserved with TS. However I believe AC Rouge will beat them too it. I wonder could we see an extension of the YVR service too.

Also Ive heard many rumours regarding AA for S18. Another new route and a upgauge of existing. (Anyone else confirm this?)

And anyone know how QR is doing? Given its been a month since the inaugural.

EI121

Eirules

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:26 pm

EI121 wrote:
kaitak wrote:

Source?

If it is Pittburghs EI have chosen very wisely. I work for one of the US carriers out of DUB and the amount of people connecting to PIT shocked me. I wouldn't be surprised if the route did well on O&D alone never mind connecting pax. Very good choice by EI and a no brainer with a B757.

I agree, YUL would also be a perfect choice too. Very underserved with TS. However I believe AC Rouge will beat them too it. I wonder could we see an extension of the YVR service too.

Also Ive heard many rumours regarding AA for S18. Another new route and a upgauge of existing. (Anyone else confirm this?)

And anyone know how QR is doing? Given its been a month since the inaugural.

EI121

Do I assume the new route would be DFW? As for upguage etc, I could see JFK being upguaged alright, the 757 is both small and decrepit

EI321

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:28 pm

What exactly is happening with the Dublin - Las Vegas Route, didn't Aer Lingus themselves state that they planned to start it this winter?

SuperSix2

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:34 pm

EI321 wrote:
What exactly is happening with the Dublin - Las Vegas Route, didn't Aer Lingus themselves state that they planned to start it this winter?

The latest ive heard from 2 sources is that the Las Vegas route will not be going ahead after all.

shamrock350

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:10 pm

EI321 wrote:

It was never confirmed, Stephen Kavanagh mentioned that it was something the airline was looking at as a seasonal service but the media just ran with it and people assumed an announcement was imminent.

Kavanagh's exact words were;

"We are working to build a business case to operate a seasonal service to Las Vegas. "

"We think there's an opportunity around Las Vegas. Whether it's year-round or just tactically in the winter months, that's what we're looking at."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ae ... 17113.html

My guess is that they thought better of it looking at the year round viability.

JAmie2k9

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Vegas is gone, there was only a slim chance of it happening.

CanadaFair

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:31 pm

Was there no potential for Royal Maroc to do Agadir-Dublin that Air Arabia are starting it?

JAmie2k9

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 pm

CanadaFair wrote:
Was there no potential for Royal Maroc to do Agadir-Dublin that Air Arabia are starting it?

Not really, a very small market. I'm not sure x2 weekly will even last by Air Arabia but they have block bookings throughout the winter season which will be a help and probally what makes or breaks the route.

FLYKTPA

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:06 am

Over on the Pittsburgh thread a user said that multipe new DUB- US routes will be announced shortly. Since it seems that LAS is not happening what other new American routes could Aer Lingus announce? I could see San Diego, Seattle, Vancouver, Tampa or New Orleans.

EISHN

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:49 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
Over on the Pittsburgh thread a user said that multipe new DUB- US routes will be announced shortly. Since it seems that LAS is not happening what other new American routes could Aer Lingus announce? I could see San Diego, Seattle, Vancouver, Tampa or New Orleans.

Seattle could be interesting. They've had huge growth in the last decade for both the domestic and international markets. The economy in Seattle is doing very well and home to several large companies like Amazon, Microsoft and Starbucks, with lots of international travel.

I had family travel to Seattle last week with AC Rouge via YVR and they found out there were 20 people connecting onwards to SEA on the same flight.
One issue EI might face is that the airport is bursting at the seems and the international section is almost, if not already, at capacity.

If EI launch SEA it'd be great if they were to partner with Alaska Airlines (who have a close relationship with AA, and already partner with multiple international airlines). With their broad support in the area, that might be a smart way to tap into the market.

As for other routes I'd doubt we'd see SAN as they already serve LAX and that's only a 2-3 hour drive away. I'd be surprised if they added a third destination in Florida with TPA.

I think somewhere like MSP would be really interesting. It's one of the wealthiest parts of the USA, and while it's a Delta fortress hub it only has European routes to LHR, CDG, AMS (DL, AF, KL) and KEF (DL, FI) . I'd say there's room for another carrier to squeeze in there and soak some of that traffic.

acentauri

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:17 am

shamrock350 wrote:
kaitak wrote:

I know the CEO of the DAA spoke about announcing a new PIT service soon but wasn't aware we were expecting it to be by Aer Lingus.

I thought a seasonal LAS was far more likely along with frequency increases elsewhere.

It's a bit difficult to picture EI flying to PIT before PHL, with its huge Irish population and OW hub/connectivity on both ends (within the next 6 months). Obviously a concern with PHL is the AA competition to Ireland, but still, PIT will need to rely on 100% O&D. Is this route to be subsidized by PIT?

OA260

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:19 am

Norwegian Air's shares in tailspin as its costs soar

Norwegian Air has reported a slump in earnings and said the outlook for both growth and costs was worse than had previously been expected.
Shares in Europe's third-largest budget airline, behind Ryanair and EasyJet, dropped as much as 11pc to their lowest since October 2014, taking this year's losses to 34pc.

The company has recently launched low-cost transatlantic flights from Dublin, Cork, Belfast and Shannon.
This strategy of taking on more established flag carriers comes with a number of risks, such as buying or leasing larger, more expensive planes, and its plan has been hit by rising costs in recent months.
The airline said its second-quarter adjusted operating profit before leasing and depreciation dropped 21pc to 1.19 billion crowns (€126m), well below the average forecast in a Reuters poll of 1.51 billion crowns (€160m).
"Light years behind expectations," Swedbank analyst Hans Ludvigsen, who has a "neutral" rating on the stock, wrote in a note to clients.
Norwegian Air also said it now expected available seat kilometres (ASK), a measure of capacity growth, to increase by 25pc in 2017, down from a previous estimate of 30pc.

http://www.independent.ie/business/worl ... 29356.html

OA260

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:28 am

CanadaFair wrote:

This market has declined in recent years from Ireland. The only time we saw RAM was under a charter in conjunction with a Irish Tour Operator. If it can work the Air Arabia brand is the one to keep it going. Hopefully it does. Staying with that region there is talk of Tunisia coming back next year.

JAmie2k9

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:39 am

acentauri wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
kaitak wrote:

It's a bit difficult to picture EI flying to PIT before PHL, with its huge Irish population and OW hub/connectivity on both ends (within the next 6 months). Obviously a concern with PHL is the AA competition to Ireland, but still, PIT will need to rely on 100% O&D. Is this route to be subsidized by PIT?

If its EI then x4 weekly (if not more) 752 could work with transit from DUB end just like BDY. They will just put the A330 back on IAD instead.

IMO people make to much of a big deal about OW and AA hubs and how EI must fly to those.

Taity

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Afternoon all, a quick questions.

I was under the impression you could pull your boarding pass up on the Aer Lingus app at any time after check in. I checked in at the desk in Edinburgh on Monday then after security pulled the app up to add the boarding pass to my wallet, but it wouldn't let me. Said it was unavailable. I also tried pulling it up directly on the website, no luck.

Is there a restriction once you're checked in or too close to the flight or even if you check in at a desk it blocks online pass fetching? Any thoughts?

I fly to Boston on Sunday and was hoping to have my paper pass and a digital one to keep and was aiming to check in at the desk instead of a machine or online.

Cbarnes35

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Friend of mine is a captain for ASL on the 757. I was talking to him the other day and he said they're looking at potentially doing Seattle in the 757. Boeing ran the numbers and they can make Seattle with 3.5 tons of fuel left over which is enough to divert to Vancouver if needs be. The only problem is that there needs to be 30/40 seats blocked off but Microsoft are pushing for the flight and they have guaranteed to keep the business cabin full which should help to offset the 30/40 blocked off seats

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos