Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dominion301
Topic Author

Porter Announce Expansion to YFC and YSJ

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:37 am

On Monday PD announced they're adding YFC and YSJ to their route network starting in September. Both routes will operate nonstop to YOW and then same-plane continue to YTZ like the majority of their other Atlantic Canada flights do.

YSJ is a new destination for YOW and YSJ at long last gain a competitor to AC's almost decade long monopoly at YSJ.

aamd11

Re: Porter Announce Expansion to YFC and YSJ

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:22 am

PIT and YYB are being ejected from the network to make room for the additional New Brunswick destinations. After two years, looks as though those markets just didn't deliver.

diverted

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:41 am

aamd11 wrote:
PIT and YYB are being ejected from the network to make room for the additional New Brunswick destinations. After two years, looks as though those markets just didn't deliver.

Sucks to hear about PIT, no real surprise on YYB though; that never seemed to make too much business sense. IIRC these are the first destinations PD has axed since they started operating, though I could be mistaken.

Yields should be pretty decent on YFC/YSJ though. At the very least, some cheaper flights for folks in the Maritimes. Haven't looked at the skeds, but would imagine as long as the timings are decent they'll be full all summer. Winter may be another story,(Case in point, dropping YYT to seasonal only) but time will tell...

Jshank83

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:52 am

Where did you see they are cutting the other two? I tried to find a link

diverted

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:49 am

Don't see anything for PIT, but here's a news article about YYB

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/port ... bay-655429

aamd11

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:07 am

Jshank83 wrote:

Random Wednesday in October, YTZPIT only offers interline bookings via BOS onto B6.

As for previous service cancellations, CHS was served one winter and didn't return. Aside from the YYT seasonal reduction this last winter, there hasn't really been anything pulled entirely before. YQB, IAD had reductions to frequencies after a slow start, but that's about it.

As for the loads, diverted, they would probably be good in the summer, but they don't start until September. Both are midday services - one leaves YOW at 1200, the other at 1300. Their return journeys have them back at YOW between 1530 and 1700. Should allow for reasonable connectivity across YTZ to most markets.

Dominion301
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:06 pm

aamd11 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Random Wednesday in October, YTZPIT only offers interline bookings via BOS onto B6.

As for previous service cancellations, CHS was served one winter and didn't return. Aside from the YYT seasonal reduction this last winter, there hasn't really been anything pulled entirely before. YQB, IAD had reductions to frequencies after a slow start, but that's about it.

As for the loads, diverted, they would probably be good in the summer, but they don't start until September. Both are midday services - one leaves YOW at 1200, the other at 1300. Their return journeys have them back at YOW between 1530 and 1700. Should allow for reasonable connectivity across YTZ to most markets.

Yeah they're both gone, but like you said PIT remains bookable with a connection at BOS to B6.

I'm surprised PD didn't keep YYB-YTZ at least during the peak summer season from Victoria Day weekend through to Labour Day.

YSJ has always been a hole in YOW's nonstop destination list and no doubt YSJ, which has a much larger catchment than YYB, will embrace Porter who will finally liberate YSJ from AC's monopoly.

YFC, should be fine too with government traffic between the two capitals and the fact that the flight operates at completely different times of the day to AC's nonstop.

The only route AC increased capacity on this summer out of YOW was to YFC to a CRJ. This is the first time AC has ever operated anything on the route but a DH1. I'm guessing with PD now on scene, AC will permanently keep YFC as a CRJ as AC only ever pay attention to YOW when their dominant position on a route is threatened. I also wonder whether AC will up the route from 6x/week to daily as an additional response?

nadavatar64

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Sad to hear about PIT, but I dont realise how come they serve PIT and not PHL...

raylee67

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:19 pm

diverted wrote:

At the very least, some cheaper flights for folks in the Maritimes. ..

PD's flights don't seem to be cheaper than WS and AC though in other competitive markets. One more choice with better service may be, but I think we Canadians are doomed to high fares.

Dominion301
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:03 pm

raylee67 wrote:
diverted wrote:

At the very least, some cheaper flights for folks in the Maritimes. ..

PD's flights don't seem to be cheaper than WS and AC though in other competitive markets. One more choice with better service may be, but I think we Canadians are doomed to high fares.

Usually fares drop when a new entrant comes on scene. They're still high compared to say the US, but they're definitely lower than when AC holds a monopoly, especially on the higher fare buckets, especially full Y fares.

aamd11

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:04 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
I'm surprised PD didn't keep YYB-YTZ at least during the peak summer season from Victoria Day weekend through to Labour Day.

YYB is around for the summer. The changes all happen when the schedule switches back to the 'peak' schedule, after Labour Day. Currently operating as same-plane service to/from YOW, overnighting at YYB during the week.

Dominion301
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:56 am

aamd11 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

YYB is around for the summer. The changes all happen when the schedule switches back to the 'peak' schedule, after Labour Day. Currently operating as same-plane service to/from YOW, overnighting at YYB during the week.

Sorry I was actually referring to summer 2018. In other words, convert YYB into a seasonal destination like several others of theirs are.

aamd11

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:44 am

Dominion301 wrote:
aamd11 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Sorry I was actually referring to summer 2018. In other words, convert YYB into a seasonal destination like several others of theirs are.

Ah yes.

Well, you never know. They don't ever load seasonal markets much more than four or five months out (ie no Winter seasonals on sale yet IINM) so maybe it'll return for S18. Guess it'll depend on whether the latest attempt at stimulating traffic (the RON schedule) does the trick this summer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos