Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

Congress set to remove the caps PFC's on US airports

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:50 pm

link/source: http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/ ... rport-atms

"The flying public this week will receive a disturbing message from Washington: You’re about to become an ATM for the nation’s airports."
"In anticipation of the FAA reauthorization markup, an amendment is being proposed to remove the cap on the Passenger Facility Charge (PFC), a $4.50 tax every flyer pays on every flight."

call or e-mail your senators/congress people and let them know you feel on this subject.
Last edited by qf789 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title

Stressedout

Re: Congress set to remove the caps PFC's on the nations airports

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:09 pm

The individuals who are using the infrastructure will have to pay for it. What a concept!

jnev3289

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:18 pm

It would be fascinating to see what airports strategies would be given their array of choices. This could hypothetically open up opportunities for secondary airports even more

F9flyer

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 pm

On principle, I am OK with this. it is the lack of limits that has me slightly concerned. Some airports do cost more than others, I just don't want to be paying for gold plated baggage carousels.

Polot

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:23 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
It would be fascinating to see what airports strategies would be given their array of choices. This could hypothetically open up opportunities for secondary airports even more

The problem is some of those secondary airports are controlled by the same body that controls the primary airports.

Take NYC for example. The PANJNY controls EWR, JFK, LGA, SWF, and TEB. Sure there is ISP and I guess BDL, but for the most part they control every viable airport near the city.

jnev3289

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:27 pm

Polot wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:

The problem is some of those secondary airports are controlled by the same body that controls the primary airports.

Take NYC for example. The PANJNY controls EWR, JFK, LGA, SWF, and TEB. Sure there is ISP and I guess BDL, but for the most part they control every viable airport near the city.

Very good point.

Prost

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:19 pm

We can't complain about the woeful condition of most US airports and then complain when there is a new mechanism to fund their improvement.

hz747300

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:24 pm

As long as the airports get to keep the funds, then it is fine. They should charge what it costs to operate the facility including ongoing maintenance; additionally, they should try to use the funds to help raise capital expenditures for future develop, or at least pay for the loans required for such capital investments.

MIflyer12

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:27 pm

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:
link/source: http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/ ... rport-atms

"The flying public this week will receive a disturbing message from Washington: You’re about to become an ATM for the nation’s airports."
"In anticipation of the FAA reauthorization markup, an amendment is being proposed to remove the cap on the Passenger Facility Charge (PFC), a $4.50 tax every flyer pays on every flight."

call or e-mail your senators/congress people and let them know you feel on this subject.

Here's all one needs to know about that opinion piece. It was written by this guy:

Calio is president and CEO of Airlines for America, the trade association for the nation’s principle airlines.

A for A is never going to argue for higher airport fees or passenger taxes.

Lots of things get proposed as amendments. Many never even get a committee hearing, let alone a committee vote, a full congressional vote, reconciliation between House and Senate, and passed into law.

Rdh3e

Re: Congress set to remove the caps PFC's on US airports

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:34 am

If airports need improvements they should negotiate them into their leases. They can, in their lease, implement a per passenger fee. Why is the PFC even necessary?

It just gives airports cover to claim they are keeping costs low because they don't have to include PFCs in CPE numbers that get published

usflyer msp

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:59 am

I actually think this will have the net effect of driving PFC's lower not higher. A lot of airports are fine with charging $4.50 because they know every other airport is doing it so it is not really a competitive issue. Some major airports are going to get the bright idea to cut their PFCs to $3 so that their connections will show up higher on the GDS screens (CLT already does this) and then it will be a race to the bottom PFC wise. IMHO

michman

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:20 am

usflyer msp wrote:
I actually think this will have the net effect of driving PFC's lower not higher. A lot of airports are fine with charging $4.50 because they know every other airport is doing it so it is not really a competitive issue. Some major airports are going to get the bright idea to cut their PFCs to $3 so that their connections will show up higher on the GDS screens (CLT already does this) and then it will be a race to the bottom PFC wise. IMHO

There are only 3 significant airports that I could find that are charging less than $4.50 max PFC -- CLT ($3.00), SDF ($3.00), and MEM ($0.00). If airports saw this as a competitive advantage, there's no reason they couldn't be undercutting other airports right now. I'm missing your logic on why they would need to wait for it to go up to cut it down $3.00. While I'm sure there are some airports that will only increase their's for necessary improvements, there will be others who increase them simply because they can and use them for questionable or unneeded projects. The problem is that while there are airports that are well run and fiscally responsible, there are a number of others that have problems with corruption, fraud, waste, and political cronyism (my local airport of DTW has a long, sad history of this). Airports need to designate PFC funds for specific projects (they are not to be used for ongoing operations), but my understanding is that the FAA approval process for PFC projects is largely a rubber stamp process.

usflyer msp

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:08 am

michman wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

There are only 3 significant airports that I could find that are charging less than $4.50 max PFC -- CLT ($3.00), SDF ($3.00), and MEM ($0.00). If airports saw this as a competitive advantage, there's no reason they couldn't be undercutting other airports right now. I'm missing your logic on why they would need to wait for it to go up to cut it down $3.00. While I'm sure there are some airports that will only increase their's for necessary improvements, there will be others who increase them simply because they can and use them for questionable or unneeded projects. The problem is that while there are airports that are well run and fiscally responsible, there are a number of others that have problems with corruption, fraud, waste, and political cronyism (my local airport of DTW has a long, sad history of this). Airports need to designate PFC funds for specific projects (they are not to be used for ongoing operations), but my understanding is that the FAA approval process for PFC projects is largely a rubber stamp process.

I'm not really articulating it well but it is more like airports do not really think about what the PFC is currently; they just follow each other in lockstep to whatever the max is. If the cap was eliminated airports would be forced to examine their PFC charges in light of each airports goals, budgetary needs and competitive challenges and there is a good chance many of them might lower it. This would put pressure on competing airports to lower theirs as well.

ltbewr

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:20 am

Yes allow the PFC's to not be capped, but have regulations that the monies can only be used for airport and related areas and limits on what private partnerships like with terminals can get. I doubt no airport will lower them, indeed due to backups in capital improvements, increasing security and facility demands, most airport operating agencies and local politicians will most likely see higher PFC's to be a piggy bank to be used to take care of friends in the construction business, the police or for other off-site uses.

klm617

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:59 am

Stressedout wrote:
The individuals who are using the infrastructure will have to pay for it. What a concept!

Yes the airlines use the infrastructure to conduct their business so hence the burden of payment should be on the airlines.

klm617

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:01 am

ltbewr wrote:
Yes allow the PFC's to not be capped, but have regulations that the monies can only be used for airport and related areas and limits on what private partnerships like with terminals can get. I doubt no airport will lower them, indeed due to backups in capital improvements, increasing security and facility demands, most airport operating agencies and local politicians will most likely see higher PFC's to be a piggy bank to be used to take care of friends in the construction business, the police or for other off-site uses.

Why is it the traveling public has to encore these costs. They are part of the cost of doing business as an airline.

klm617

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:03 am

michman wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Thank you for saying this as I have said many times the WCAA is very ineffective and does not do a proper job running our airport to which I've been chastised over and over again for stating the same thing.

BENAir01

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:13 am

Polot wrote:

Well specifically with that point there is HPN, a lovely little airport with quite a few destinations that everyone seems to forget about, however you do make a good point.

N867DA

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:32 am

Rampant "Libertarianism" at its worst. This is a harebrained idea that might pass, but will be repealed eventually. Keep in mind the same people who want to repeal this limit feel that airlines should be able to obfuscate the price of an air ticket by listing only the airfare. The purpose of these two policies combined is to prevent consumers from making apples-to-apples comparisons unless they spend hours for what should be a simple task. Follow the money--see who's lobbying for what.

YVRing

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:17 am

Stressedout wrote:

Yay toll roads for everyone!

exFWAOONW

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:18 am

It would let the market-place determine what is the right amount and more importantly, let users pay for the privilege of flying.

Pavanc

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:40 pm

2 things about PFCs:
1. The funds can only be used on eligible projects. No pie-in-the-sky white elephants that serve no aviation purpose.
2. The airlines musts approve the use of the PFC funds

Stressedout

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Yes the airlines use the infrastructure to conduct their business so hence the burden of payment should be on the airlines.

Do you think airlines are funding the upkeep of airports? If so, you are sadly mistaken. The may fund bits and pieces at large hub airports but what they fund is quite small. Small hub and small commercial service airports have a very difficult time funding necessary capital improvement projects. DOT funding is not adequate. Unfortunately the general public is mostly ignorant on subject and thus small hub airports continue to struggle.

Rdh3e

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Stressedout wrote:
Small hub and small commercial service airports have a very difficult time funding necessary capital improvement projects. DOT funding is not adequate. Unfortunately the general public is mostly ignorant on subject and thus small hub airports continue to struggle.

Here is a thought, why not include the cost of upkeep and capital improvements in the rates and charges for airport users? What a mind blowing concept!

PFCs are a valuless enigma. Airports have the ability to charge airlines these exact same amounts of money in their leases.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:54 pm

michman wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

And MEM has started the process of a major reno of B concourse in what amounts to a new build.

Interestingly enough, local Rep Cohen got the seat min attached to the house FAA reauthorization bill.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:01 pm

YVRing wrote:
Stressedout wrote:

Yay toll roads for everyone!

With modern tech making having to man toll booths a thing of the past, why not. This country needs a few new roads. I would gladly fork out money to zip down the west side of Arkansas or across the north part at 75 or 80 mph.

UpNAWAy

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:03 pm

N867DA wrote:
Rampant "Libertarianism" at its worst. This is a harebrained idea that might pass, but will be repealed eventually. Keep in mind the same people who want to repeal this limit feel that airlines should be able to obfuscate the price of an air ticket by listing only the airfare. The purpose of these two policies combined is to prevent consumers from making apples-to-apples comparisons unless they spend hours for what should be a simple task. Follow the money--see who's lobbying for what.

Count me as one of those. Why should airlines have to quote you w/ tacx included when we do not make other businesses do that?

Also the public should know their low fare has 2-40% in taxes and non airline fees.

Bricktop

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:13 pm

klm617 wrote:
Why is it the traveling public has to encore these costs. They are part of the cost of doing business as an airline.

Why won't the airlines just pass that cost through to the customers? Who do you think pays "the cost of doing business"?

Bavd

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Stressedout wrote:

Tax on bullets?

hOMSaR

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:48 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
Also the public should know their low fare has 2-40% in taxes and non airline fees.

Whenever I buy a ticket, it always breaks down how much is fare and how much are other taxes and fees (though the airlines don't always indicate which of those are airline-imposed fees, and which ones are separate taxes). But when I'm searching for flights, I want to know how much I'm paying. If you want to tell me how that is broken down, fine, but what matters most is how much comes out of my pocket.

I'd actually prefer all prices be listed that way, as it is in much of the rest of the world. Makes doing calculations so much easier.

stlgph

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:11 pm

I'd be *shocked* if O'Hare and Midway didn't jump up to $7.00 or more given the situation in the state of Illinois.

jakubz

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:38 pm

stlgph wrote:
I'd be *shocked* if O'Hare and Midway didn't jump up to $7.00 or more given the situation in the state of Illinois.

Crook county at it's finest.

Jayafe

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:45 pm

Stressedout wrote:

Watching the maintenance and situation of many of the airports in the US, yeah, paying even more for nothing is absolutely a revolutionary concept!

Stressedout

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:33 am

Watching the maintenance and situation of many of the airports in the US, yeah, paying even more for nothing is absolutely a revolutionary concept![/quote]

I doubt you have the insight into the industry to know the challenges small commercial service and GA airports truly face.

I am intimately involved in small commercial service and GA airports both in regards to their funding and maintenance. The ones that I work with are resourceful and use their PFC funds quite well. Unfortunately airports are often overlooked by local entities and thus languish a bit. PFC's have FAA rules about how they are used anyway.

Stressedout

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:56 am

Bricktop wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Why won't the airlines just pass that cost through to the customers? Who do you think pays "the cost of doing business"?

Exactly. The cost of doing business.....that is comical. Of course airlines will pass it on to consumers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos