Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nami

Re: Which will be the next long haul carrier to serve Helsinki?

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:10 pm

NichCage wrote:
Also, when did Thai Airways fly to Helsinki, and when did they end it? Thai Airways must have made HEL work for a while, because I would assume lots of Finnish people are going to Thailand.

I'm too young to have any recollection of my own, but if I'm not mistaken TG flew to HEL for some time in 1990 but the economic crisis in Finland brought the route to a premature end.

Kikko19

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:06 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
HEL-LAX i could see as a route. Maybe not even daily. Lots of One World Connections on both ends! I could see that working out.

Arn has daily SK to Lax, DY as well but less frequently. I'd love something more "extreme" : HNL 3x week... Would be catching dk/se/ru and baltics just for start. What do you think about it?

QuawerAir
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
HEL-LAX i could see as a route. Maybe not even daily. Lots of One World Connections on both ends! I could see that working out.

Arn has daily SK to Lax, DY as well but less frequently. I'd love something more "extreme" : HNL 3x week... Would be catching dk/se/ru and baltics just for start. What do you think about it?

As far as I know Finnair considered Honolulu as the future destination in 2013, operated by A350.

Waterbomber

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:03 pm

kruiseri wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
What do you think?

These are my candidates:

1. Air China: Finavia's aim is that some Chinese airlines would launch flights to HEL within next three years. I think Air China is the most likely.
2. Air India: I read somewhere the Indian carrier would introduce flights to Helsinki.
3. Cathay Pacific: Passenger numbers on route between Helsinki and Hong Kong was 182,000 in 2016 and may rise up to approx. 220,000 in 2017.
4. Emirates: As of Sep 2017, Qatar Airways will operate Boeing 787 to Helsinki due to great demand. I believe there's more demand on the HEL-DXB -route.
5. Korean Air: The route between Helsinki and Seoul has seen rapid growth in passenger numbers within last few years. However, no Korean carrier operate on the route.
6. Thai Airways: HEL-BKK is the 2nd busiest intercontinental route from HEL with around 260,000 passengers in 2016.
7. Norwegian: Norwegian is reportedly planning to launch long haul flight from HEL in 2018.

Is there more candidates?
If there is, tell your expectations: the airline, weekly frequencies and the aircraft (largest aircraft is Boeing 777 at this time).

Note: Finnair, Japan Airlines and Qatar Airways already operate from/to Helsinki.

1. is not going to happen as Air China is with Star Alliance. They would not get any feed from Helsinki. Helsinki to East Asia is based on transit passengers between Europe and Asia.
2. I do not see this happening either. No O/D between HEL and India. Even Finnair shut down their BOM route a few years ago. Air India is also in the wrong alliance.
3. Strong maybe, if they can work out the feed with AY. Best would be to align with the afternoon bank to complement Finnairs red eye/early morning bank.
4. Maybe, although Qatar and Turkish have already tapped into that market pretty well.
5. Nope, wrong alliance. See 1 & 2. No significant O/D between HEL and Korea.
6. Maybe, they used to fly it. Would be competing with the AY's O/D traffic.
7. This is my strongest candidate of the seven above. Still a lot of ifs though. Destination would be the US or BKK.

The long haul operations from HEL are based on transit passengers. The O/D from Finland is strong enough to support maybe BKK and JFK, that's it. Everything else relies on the feed. That means that any long haul carriers coming to HEL would need to work out the feed issue. That in turn pretty much limits the options to OneWorld carriers. AA was here a few years ago and left, could not make it work. AY already does JFK,MIA,ORD and SFO so I do not see the demand for additional traffic from the US. It does not even make sense for AA to connect with AY's Asia flights, with the possible exception of DEL.

Best would be for JAL to upcauge/add frequencies. Although that too would be problematic as the schedules would only fit nicely with the AY afternoon bank.

You are bang on the buck. The only one that is working out is JL but JL is also not making a fortune on those flights. I see it more as a way to promote the route, to be able to sell tickets on the AY flights as well. JL would be better off operating direct B788 flights to MAD and funnelling more pax through LHR.
People buying JL codeshare tickets without knowing that they are codeshares must be pretty upset when they see a AY aircraft at the gate.

yycdel

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:25 pm

ryan78 wrote:
ninspeed wrote:
Westjet from YYZ when they get their 787s I could see doing this at least two times a week..... there is a lot of travel to Canada from there during the summer months for the RV Rental market

I severely doubt Westjet or even Rouge for that matter would consider HEL. Finnair used to run a summer seasonal x3 weekly A330 flights from YYZ-HEL for years but they discontinued it 2 years ago and have not returned. I took that flight twice and both times they were packed full and I'd venture to guess that 90% of the pax on the flight were connecting to other parts of Europe and Asia. If Finnair couldn't make a x3 weekly seasonal flight work, even with all the feeder traffic through their hub, I don't see Westjet or Rouge making money at all. The market isn't big enough to warrant a direct, p2p flight when you can literally connect one stop from anywhere in Europe to all the major cities in Canada.

+1
Not to mention they only have 10 on firm order, which is a very small fleet and will be easily occupied with primary destinations like UK, CDG, China, Japan

Kikko19

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:49 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

As far as I know Finnair considered Honolulu as the future destination in 2013, operated by A350.

would love it! Scandinavians and Baltics and also western Russians would flock to HEL to fly the brand new a35K

QuawerAir
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Lucky Air will be the next one. Maybe EVA Air or China Airlines at some point?

NZ321

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:23 pm

All this talk of Cathay is somewhat optimistic. If they come at all they may not stay very long. Look at DUS. And I predict the same for at least 2 of the 3 recently announced destinations. I would suggest, Thai is not an outsider if the route statistics are as stated given their service to other Scandinavian ports. But I wouldn't hold your breath. As to US carriers, ditto. Air China or a Chinese carrier - distinct possibility.

Nami

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:06 pm

QuawerAir wrote:

Lucky Air is basically just charters for Chinese tourists, so not sure it really counts. I mean there's not even a website in English to buy tickets. Most likely Lucky won't stay in HEL for long but will come and leave quite quickly.

QuawerAir
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:18 pm

Nami wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:

Lucky Air is basically just charters for Chinese tourists, so not sure it really counts. I mean there's not even a website in English to buy tickets. Most likely Lucky won't stay in HEL for long but will come and leave quite quickly.

Actually, the website (luckyair.com) is coming but I have no idea when it'll be ready. But I could see for example Hainan Airlines or Air China serving HEL, but maybe not soon. Finavia is, however, working hard to get more Chinese airlines to Finland. HU is quite possible as Beijing Capital Airlines and Lucky Air are both parts of HNA Group.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos