Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Qatar Airways announced Skytrax "Airline of the Year"

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Skytrax has announced the top 20 airlines of the year. Not a single American carrier is on the list.

1. Qatar Airways
2. Singapore Airlines
3. ANA
4. Emirates
5. Cathay Pacific
6. EVA Air
7. Lufthansa
8. Etihad Airways
9. Hainan
10. Garuda
11. Thai Airways
12. Turkish Airlines
13. Virgin Australia
14. Swiss
15. Qantas
16. Japan Airlines
17. Austrian
18. Air France
19. Air New Zealand
20. Asiana

Source: http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Award ... ating.html
Last edited by qf789 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoKeR

Re: Qatar Airways announced Sktrax "Airline of the Year"

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Likely welcome news for QR whose been going through a tough period in the region recently... and they do offer a very good product indeed.

From the list, it looks like all the usual suspects are there, though I must admit that some probably deserve to be way below the rankings they achieved.

Emirates drop is quite drastic, but their service has admittedly gone down, TK has also plummeted 5 places as has QF. The top 100 also includes some surprising names who - IMHO do not deserve their standing...

KiloRomeoDelta

Re: Qatar Airways announced Skytrax "Airline of the Year"

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:43 pm

In before 100 replies come in all stating "SkyTrax is PAID, BIASED, FAKE"

Here with my popcorn.

huaiwei

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:19 pm

I find it quite amusing that some budget airlines are ranked much higher than established full-service carriers. Case in point:

26 AirAsia
31 Malaysia Airlines

I also laughed at these. Really odd seeing this kind of ranking result:

23 China Southern
29 Air Canada
32 Delta Air Lines
40 British Airways

72 China Eastern
74 American Airlines
76 Ryanair
78 United Airlines
98 Air China

CanadaFair

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Could be QR donated to Skytrax to come on top.

sand26391

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Airasia better than British Airways?? I completely disagree with it. Flew with BA recently and really liked the flight. Airasia is a disaster esp flying frm India to AUS/NZ. Something is really fishy.. not that i doubt the rankings of the top 10.. its just that some airlines dont deserve the rank they have got.

B737900ER

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:52 pm

sand26391 wrote:
Airasia better than British Airways?? I completely disagree with it. Flew with BA recently and really liked the flight. Airasia is a disaster esp flying frm India to AUS/NZ. Something is really fishy.. not that i doubt the rankings of the top 10.. its just that some airlines dont deserve the rank they have got.

BA won't even give you a cup of water without charging.

And China Eastern higher than AA, UA, and Air China. Really? If the list ends at 100 China Eastern should be ranked 114

OA260

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:58 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:
Skytrax has announced the top 20 airlines of the year.

1. Qatar Airways

Quelle surprise

gia777

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Until American Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, etc have a better customer service, food, cabin, good looking flight attendants, don't expect them to be at Top 20.

kjeld0d

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:22 pm

Skytrax and FIFA and there goes Qatar's bribe money for the year. Oh well, keep "slaving away"!

jnev3289

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:24 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
Skytrax and FIFA and there goes Qatar's bribe money for the year. Oh well, keep "slaving away"!

Must be nice to live in a Utopia where your country is perfect and has done nothing wrong

sand26391

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:50 pm

B737900ER wrote:
sand26391 wrote:

BA won't even give you a cup of water without charging.

And China Eastern higher than AA, UA, and Air China. Really? If the list ends at 100 China Eastern should be ranked 114

Well we certainly did get on a long haul flight and d service was much much better than AA on the LHR-DFW sector. I have no idea about Chinese airlines as I havent flown with them yet. Just comparing Airasia and BA thats all. AA was awful everytime we flew to the states... Esp DFW. Anyways this is my opinion and my exp. Good day :)

georgiaame

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Garuda beats out Air France, and there is no mention of Virgin Atlantic? Yeah right. Totally credible!

sw733

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:13 pm

georgiaame wrote:
Garuda beats out Air France, and there is no mention of Virgin Atlantic? Yeah right. Totally credible!

Have you flown Garuda lately? They're fantastic. I've had a couple of phenomenal regional and domestic flights over the last two years. Nothing longhaul yet, but perhaps someday soon. Better than any Air France flight I've had over the same time period.

dfwneedsqf

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:30 pm

sw733 wrote:
georgiaame wrote:

Have you flown Garuda lately? They're fantastic. I've had a couple of phenomenal regional and domestic flights over the last two years. Nothing longhaul yet, but perhaps someday soon. Better than any Air France flight I've had over the same time period.

We flew Sydney to Denpasar and the service was amazing! Would fly again in a heart beat.

CantbeGrounded

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Survey methodology has a lot to do with the results - specifically, carriers are allowed to promote the survey. If a carrier is smart about delivering the link to customers, they would certainly be helping themselves out.

HELyes

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 pm

georgiaame wrote:

Virgin Atlantic is 33th, between Delta and Korean Air

Europeans:

1 Lufthansa
2 Turkish Airlines
3 Swiss Int'l Air Lines
4 Austrian
5 Air France
6 KLM
7 Finnair
8 Norwegian
9 Aeroflot Russian Airlines
10 Virgin Atlantic

By Region:

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Award ... egion.html
Last edited by HELyes on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooslc

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:45 pm

I don't like Skytrax, they are like the Yelp of the Airline industry. I don't trust reviews. Plus, they have a weird definition of what a regional airline is.

Squeezix

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 pm

gia777 wrote:
good looking flight attendants

What decade are you in?

EK413

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:06 pm

Disappointed to see GA ranking drop over the years. I always fly GA whilst holidaying in Indonesia, excellent product offering & fantastic crew.

EK413

HELyes

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:24 pm

EK413 wrote:
Disappointed to see GA ranking drop over the years. I always fly GA whilst holidaying in Indonesia, excellent product offering & fantastic crew.

EK413

Garuda actually improved their rating from last year and they were named number one in Cabin Crew category.

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Award ... staff.html

andrefranca

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:27 pm

HELyes wrote:
georgiaame wrote:

Virgin Atlantic is 33th, between Delta and Korean Air

Europeans:

1 Lufthansa
2 Turkish Airlines
3 Swiss Int'l Air Lines
4 Austrian
5 Air France
6 KLM
7 Finnair
8 Norwegian
9 Aeroflot Russian Airlines
10 Virgin Atlantic

By Region:

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Award ... egion.html

Whaaaaat? Air France better than KLM???? what`s next? Saudia most liberal airlines???

FlyUSAir

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:09 am

gia777 wrote:
Until American Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, etc have a better customer service, food, cabin, good looking flight attendants, don't expect them to be at Top 20.

Exactly. On some of their aircraft they actually have a decent/competitive hard product but their soft product is beyond awful. That's why they are ranked lower than their international competitors. They might not have the best hard product but the soft product is miles ahead.

maortega15

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:48 am

I'm actually surprised SQ hasn't won Airline of the Year since 2008. I thought they were a benchmark for product and service, no?

And it's a shame that CX hasn't won anything. They usually would win at least one award. They used to be a benchmark too.

EK413

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:08 am

HELyes wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

Garuda actually improved their rating from last year and they were named number one in Cabin Crew category.

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Award ... staff.html

An award well earned & deserved. I have backtracked to 2012 GA jumped from 19 to 11 so you right they certainly have raised the bar. Well done GA.

EK413

rta

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:22 am

As always, these ratings should be taken with a grain of salt.

FlyUSAir wrote:
gia777 wrote:

Exactly. On some of their aircraft they actually have a decent/competitive hard product but their soft product is beyond awful. That's why they are ranked lower than their international competitors. They might not have the best hard product but the soft product is miles ahead.

Aside from the fact that these ratings are meaningless, US airlines will never be in the top 20 because a significant portion of their flying is domestic, which is a completely different product from an airline that flies mostly international routes.

FlyUSAir

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:33 am

rta wrote:
As always, these ratings should be taken with a grain of salt.

FlyUSAir wrote:
gia777 wrote:

Aside from the fact that these ratings are meaningless, US airlines will never be in the top 20 because a significant portion of their flying is domestic, which is a completely different product from an airline that flies mostly international routes.

My comment still stands on US airlines flying international routes. The hard product is there, the soft product is not.

PerfectGriffin

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:05 am

Regardless of whether they paid for the #1 spot or not, QR certainly deserve to be first place. They have a fantastic product and excellent service, both in the air and on the ground.

eamondzhang

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:09 am

Singapore, ANA, Eva certainly deserve to be at the top places, sure. But Virgin Australia before Qantas? Skytrax is really becoming the new FIFA.

I've flown on both within the past two months, and Qantas is far superior than Virgin in every single measurement. Whether it's the seat, drink and food (VA doesn't even have free food at all), flight crew and ground crew... Virgin's crew can barely do their job properly, while Qantas ones go out of their ways to help you make your journey as comfortable as they can.

I also got the chance to fly China Eastern about two months ago, and to my surprise they're much, much better than Virgin Australia in terms of the seat and service offered (well no delay though). And yet they're at a lower rank than VA.

Seriously, Skytrax is becoming more and more laughable.

RoySFlying

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:32 am

These ratings are not the same as the Star Ratings conducted by Skytrax but are based on passengers voting. As may be expected, the subjective views of passengers will produce very different results to ratings based on measurable criteria. The views of a frequent flyer may be very different to a person who has flown an airline only once and had their bag go missing.

The votes can be influenced by the airlines themselves. I don't mean the brown paper envelopes that are often alleged but by the airlines emailing past passengers, encouraging them to vote. Perhpas this accounts for some of the surprising outcomes. Virgin Australia ranking better than Qantas? How? Why? Wouldn't be my opinion but everyone is different.

MarcoPoloWorld

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:49 am

The most interesting thing with Skytrax is that their "nominations" on the one hand, and the cumulative reviews on the other, many times don't add up. Hello, Etihad has miserable reviews for Economy class travels, as well as their hub experience too. Also, while I agree that the US3 have a long way to go, I would at least place Delta ahead of a few of their top contenders. Lastly, their rating of Air Canada as a 4-star airline is simply ridiculous - AC is one of the most solidly mediocre carries out there; albeit consistently mediocre.

And how can United be #78? The onboard service may be middling, but take into account the overall value of their product, the unbeatable national and world-wide network, and loyalty program that is still second-to-few... no, something doesn't add up.

aviationaware

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:25 am

jnev3289 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

Must be nice to live in a Utopia where your country is perfect and has done nothing wrong

Must be nice to live in an amoral universe where that is a good excuse for anything.

jnev3289

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:42 pm

aviationaware wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

Must be nice to live in an amoral universe where that is a good excuse for anything.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks

txjim

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:44 pm

OA260 wrote:
dubaiamman243 wrote:
Skytrax has announced the top 20 airlines of the year.

1. Qatar Airways

Quelle surprise

You are absolutely wrong with this false claim
(the bribe would be in dollars or euros)

DL747400

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:12 pm

gia777 wrote:

Don't worry your pretty little head over it. There are an increasing number of airlines from around the world who have decided not to join this "Pay for Play" list.

Besides, QR is flush with government subsidies, so they have cause flying out of their tailpipes. Just like EK and EY.

readytotaxi

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:25 pm

AeroMexico said they would have been higher placed had the funds cleared it time. :rotfl:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos