User avatar
KarelXWB
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 25155
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

DL outlines A350 routes

Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:26 pm

DTW-NRT will be the first international route.

Delta Airlines on Saturday (17JUN17) opened bookings for its planned Airbus A350-900XWB operations, currently scheduled to enter international operation in late-October 2017, replacing 777-200ER aircraft. Planned operation as follow.

eff 30OCT17 Detroit – Tokyo Narita 1 daily
eff 18NOV17 Detroit – Seoul Incheon Alternating days, daily from 16DEC17
eff 17JAN18 Detroit – Beijing Alternating days, daily from 23FEB18


Article
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... es-in-w17/

Image
1st Airbus A350 Delta Airlines N501DN by Jujug Spotting, on Flickr
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
A350
Posts: 1060
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:40 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Cool. I would have expected them to use it on a shorter route for the first weeks until the crew is more familiar with it and the second frame has arrived.
 
AWACSooner
Posts: 2069
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:35 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:04 pm

First flight on 30 October...seats wide open!
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 1483
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:11 pm

And if you look at the schedule end in May the 350 will fly NRT, ICN, and PEK <- woah didn't see PEK before PVG. PVG will remain a 77L for now.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...
 
User avatar
Block40Osan
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:31 pm

ICN is the second destination to be served by the DL A359. Effective from 17DEC17 (Arriving ICN on a following day).
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 7152
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:44 pm

A350 wrote:
Cool. I would have expected them to use it on a shorter route for the first weeks until the crew is more familiar with it and the second frame has arrived.

They will. This is DL first "regular" A350 route.

Using the term flight in the title is a little misleading. This is the first route, not flight (which will probably be something like DTW-ATL).
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 11322
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:57 pm

That makes more sense
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
VCEflyboy
Posts: 1140
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:55 pm

Does the a350 have the legs to fly JFK east Asia?
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 11322
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Well it only currently does SFO-SIN direct, only 17 hrs.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
Pacific
Posts: 1077
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2000 2:46 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:19 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
Does the a350 have the legs to fly JFK east Asia?

It sure does. Spec range is 15,000km so it's a 16-hour aircraft at the very least.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Is there a trail flight to AMS planned?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
ual777newpaint
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:39 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:26 pm

As I feared, no more Comfort+ cabin. Huge blow for Delta elites :cry:
318 319 320 321 333 343 346 717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 744 752 753 762 763 76E 764 77A 77E 773 789 CRJ CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 F50 F70 MD88 MD90 DL UA WN B6 TK US U2 KL EQ MU SK GK VY AF AM KE XL KN CZ VS 3U CM CA 7P SC
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 9215
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Eeerily silent, considering all the crying/whining/farting/tantrums about there being "no chance" that DL would base its flagship aircraft's initial routes out of DTW..... ;)


flymco753 wrote:
And if you look at the schedule end in May the 350 will fly NRT, ICN, and PEK <- woah didn't see PEK before PVG. PVG will remain a 77L for now.

Not really surprising. PVG is a big focus/partner market for them, so only makes sense that the aircraft capable of toting more would go there.


ual777newpaint wrote:
As I feared, no more Comfort+ cabin. Huge blow for Delta elites

Whaa whaa.

Would swap that for a real premium economy ANY day, seeing as it's going to be hard as hell for upgrades/systemwides into J nowadays. Looks like cold cash is going to be the only way in-- fair enough.

And before anyone says it, yeah I know it won't be free "upgrade" from standard Y for elites... but as with all things in life, if ya want something better-- be prepared to PAY for it.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
commavia
Posts: 11349
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:17 pm

ual777newpaint wrote:
As I feared, no more Comfort+ cabin. Huge blow for Delta elites :cry:

LAX772LR wrote:
Would swap that for a real premium economy ANY day, seeing as it's going to be hard as hell for upgrades/systemwides into J nowadays. Looks like cold cash is going to be the only way in-- fair enough.

And before anyone says it, yeah I know it won't be free "upgrade" from standard Y for elites... but as with all things in life, if ya want something better-- be prepared to PAY for it.


Very interesting. I didn't even realize that this was being considered/rumored, and just assumed Delta's A350s would have four classes/sub-classes - like AA did with its 789s. Delta has confirmed that the 777s will get Premium Select, too - does this portend that those aircraft will then lose Comfort+? And what is most likely for the rest of the longhaul fleet that "may be added" to the list getting Premium Select? Will it be either Premium Select or Comfort+ but not both?
 
ASQ400
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:02 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
Does the a350 have the legs to fly JFK east Asia?

Yeah. It has some of the longest legs in the industry.
It could even do JFK-AKL
TLV, BRU, ZRH, CDG, FRA, EWR, JFK, DEN, SFO, AUS, RNO, SEA, YYC, YYZ, IAH, ATL, IAD, DCA, ORD, SJC, SNA
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:07 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Eeerily silent, considering all the crying/whining/farting/tantrums about there being "no chance" that DL would base its flagship aircraft's initial routes out of DTW..... ;)


Don't CEO Ed, Chairman Frank, and the remaining BOD study anut daily and take all their network planning cues based on the most whining on anut :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: and not from the DL network planning department?
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 9215
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:30 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Eeerily silent, considering all the crying/whining/farting/tantrums about there being "no chance" that DL would base its flagship aircraft's initial routes out of DTW..... ;)

Don't CEO Ed, Chairman Frank, and the remaining BOD study anut daily and take all their network planning cues based on the most whining on anut :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: and not from the DL network planning department?

Don't be a fool, of course not!

They find the route that makes the most while costing the least (always from DTW, btw) and then say "But screw that, we're putting it into ATL"... because spite-capital is worth so much more than market revenue.

Duh.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Surprised the A350 isn't being used on LAX-SYD. I thought I had heard DL wanted to put the 350 on the SYD route as a way to increase competitiveness with QF/AA/UA but I suppose the 77L is equally suited for the LAX-SYD run.
 
ty97
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:04 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
ual777newpaint wrote:
As I feared, no more Comfort+ cabin. Huge blow for Delta elites

Whaa whaa.

Would swap that for a real premium economy ANY day, seeing as it's going to be hard as hell for upgrades/systemwides into J nowadays. Looks like cold cash is going to be the only way in-- fair enough.

And before anyone says it, yeah I know it won't be free "upgrade" from standard Y for elites... but as with all things in life, if ya want something better-- be prepared to PAY for it.


None of this negates ual777newpaint's point that it's a blow to DL elites. That doesn't mean your point is wrong, but is doesn't make ual777newpaint wrong either. This is a reduction in benefit for elites. Certainly an airline's right to do, but nonetheless a reduction.
 
777Mech
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:29 pm

The two proving runs with the FAA will also be DTW-NRT, with one flight including a possible diversion. It'll spend a week or so with the ground crew in NRT as well.

I'm still waiting on our resident DTW folks to come on and say how this is screwing DTW our of something....
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 9215
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:03 am

ty97 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
ual777newpaint wrote:
As I feared, no more Comfort+ cabin. Huge blow for Delta elites

Whaa whaa.

Would swap that for a real premium economy ANY day, seeing as it's going to be hard as hell for upgrades/systemwides into J nowadays. Looks like cold cash is going to be the only way in-- fair enough.

And before anyone says it, yeah I know it won't be free "upgrade" from standard Y for elites... but as with all things in life, if ya want something better-- be prepared to PAY for it.


None of this negates ual777newpaint's point that it's a blow to DL elites. That doesn't mean your point is wrong, but is doesn't make ual777newpaint wrong either. This is a reduction in benefit for elites. Certainly an airline's right to do, but nonetheless a reduction.

Not really disagreeing.

IMO the optimal situation would've been to have both Premium and Comfort, but if they're going to make us choose, then it's tough to argue that a separately-attended product is less of a gain than a measly 3-4 more inches in an otherwise standard Y product.... particularly seeing as they can still theoretically get the latter by booking exit.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
airzona11
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:28 am

Wait, DL is really eliminating Y+ and going J/PY/Y? That seems strange to be removing options for increased spend/upgrades/stratified cabin offerings.

But more importantly, this must be an error. DL is out to screw DTW, no way they would feature their state of the art bird on routes from DTW.... :fever: :spit:
 
DTWorld
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:34 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:02 am

777Mech wrote:
I'm still waiting on our resident DTW folks to come on and say how this is screwing DTW our of something....


Sure it's an A350 and all, but it's not an hourly flight between DTW-NRT :duck:

(disclaimer: I was born and raised in the DTW area as my name suggests so I can talk shit about my hometown every now and then)

Jokes aside, I'm excited to see the A350 despite the novelty of the 747 slowly going away. I grew up always associating that plane with Japan.

Considering I have a week off in late January, a birthday trip to Japan sounds very tempting right now. :scratchchin:
 
User avatar
MarcoPoloWorld
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:37 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:07 am

This is great to hear. DTW is an excellent and modern facility, and the same goes for the A350. Biggest item of the day, though, is probably that of Delta's new Premium Economy product being published for sale so that we will get to know its price point. Seems to be rolling out a little bit on the high side, but perhaps that's what their prediction algorithm starts with...

And to all the upgrade-whiners here, just stop it. The business model is finally turning away from a dichotomous roulette between a crappy coach seat and a luxurious prime class seat, to a more granular offering, where we can pay for the level of service we want in a way that is in many cases reasonably proportional to the offering.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 9215
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:48 am

MarcoPoloWorld wrote:
And to all the upgrade-whiners here, just stop it. The business model is finally turning away from a dichotomous roulette between a crappy coach seat and a luxurious prime class seat, to a more granular offering, where we can pay for the level of service we want in a way that is in many cases reasonably proportional to the offering.

^ This.

Especially for steerage-- of all carriers, DL is the one who merits the least amount of whining:
  • They're one of the few airlines in the world still offering 9abreast in all 777s in all Y seats.
  • A330s and A350s are configured with their original 8 and 9 abreast offerings, respectively.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
cx828
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:12 am

How about sea-hkg, will it change to 359 eventually?
 
User avatar
TransWorldOne
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:40 am

cx828 wrote:
How about sea-hkg, will it change to 359 eventually?


I'm sure it will eventually. In the near term? No. SEA-HKG is operated with the smallest possible equipment that has the legs for the route, the A332. In the winter months the route operates less than daily. The A350 would be a big jump in capacity for this new-ish route. DL has tinkered with using the 777 on SEA-HKG but it has never stuck.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 9215
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:03 am

cx828 wrote:
How about sea-hkg, will it change to 359 eventually?

If it does, I'm betting it'll be after DL reinstates DTW-HKG, allowing them to turn the aircraft to SEA without having to op a domestic tag.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 25155
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: DL outlines A350 routes

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:05 am

I just updated the first post with additional routes.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: DL outlines A350 routes

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:36 am

:checkeredflag: ICN, PEK, and NRT, ex-DTW, on the toast of the town. Here's to network planners at DL. :checkeredflag:
Now we'll see how much Asian feed "the other mid-West hub" has, and soon how KE fits into the picture. NRT and ICN would be in the JV.
More A359s = more new TPAC routes. I say ex-LAX is next, then ex-SEA, then probably a new TPAC route ex-SLC.
Last edited by WPvsMW on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
aviationaware
Posts: 1637
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:38 am

ASQ400 wrote:
VCEflyboy wrote:
Does the a350 have the legs to fly JFK east Asia?

Yeah. It has some of the longest legs in the industry.
It could even do JFK-AKL


Not with a full passenger load, not even remotely. JFK-AKL is 8,800 nm. In Delta's config, I would say the maximum range is 7,700 nm and that needs subtraction for wind and other factors. It can't even do JFK-HKG with a full load. Also, it can reach no point in Asia from JFK with a full passenger load and significant amounts of cargo.

Those are numbers from an Airbus IR presentation, so they will be on the optimistic side of things. The A359 is nowhere near doing JFK-AKL.
 
ASQ400
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:27 pm

aviationaware wrote:
ASQ400 wrote:
VCEflyboy wrote:
Does the a350 have the legs to fly JFK east Asia?

Yeah. It has some of the longest legs in the industry.
It could even do JFK-AKL


Not with a full passenger load, not even remotely. JFK-AKL is 8,800 nm. In Delta's config, I would say the maximum range is 7,700 nm and that needs subtraction for wind and other factors. It can't even do JFK-HKG with a full load. Also, it can reach no point in Asia from JFK with a full passenger load and significant amounts of cargo.

Those are numbers from an Airbus IR presentation, so they will be on the optimistic side of things. The A359 is nowhere near doing JFK-AKL.

The A359-operated SFO-SIN is 400 miles shy of JFK-AKL, bud. SQ's coming 900ULR routes (LAX,JFK) both prove the possibility of AKL on that plane, although possibly not the normal 900.
As for JFK-HKG, it's less than SIN-SFO (a current route of the 900). Evidently, then, JFK-HKG is chump change for it.
TLV, BRU, ZRH, CDG, FRA, EWR, JFK, DEN, SFO, AUS, RNO, SEA, YYC, YYZ, IAH, ATL, IAD, DCA, ORD, SJC, SNA
 
User avatar
ElroyJetson
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:13 pm

ASQ400 wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
ASQ400 wrote:
Yeah. It has some of the longest legs in the industry.
It could even do JFK-AKL


Not with a full passenger load, not even remotely. JFK-AKL is 8,800 nm. In Delta's config, I would say the maximum range is 7,700 nm and that needs subtraction for wind and other factors. It can't even do JFK-HKG with a full load. Also, it can reach no point in Asia from JFK with a full passenger load and significant amounts of cargo.

Those are numbers from an Airbus IR presentation, so they will be on the optimistic side of things. The A359 is nowhere near doing JFK-AKL.

The A359-operated SFO-SIN is 400 miles shy of JFK-AKL, bud. SQ's coming 900ULR routes (LAX,JFK) both prove the possibility of AKL on that plane, although possibly not the normal 900.
As for JFK-HKG, it's less than SIN-SFO (a current route of the 900). Evidently, then, JFK-HKG is chump change for it.



I love how Airbus fanboys always say.....but, but, but SQ does SIN to SFO to the A359 can fly any route on planet Earth!!!


Fact check.....the SIN to SFO flight has zero cargo and limited pax and bags. It by no means could fly AKL to JFK even with a limited load. I would also note the 789 flies SIN to LAX but no Boeing fanboys would claim the legs to do AKL to JFK.

Look...I get you like Airbus and the 359. But keep it real.....okay.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 25155
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:25 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
Fact check.....the SIN to SFO flight has zero cargo and limited pax and bags. It by no means could fly AKL to JFK even with a limited load.


As always the payload/range chart is the place to be. JFK-AKL is 7,600 nm, taking the westbound trip into account it would equal ~ 25t payload which is more than the A350-900ULR can do on SIN-SFO.

Image

I would also note the 789 flies SIN to LAX but no Boeing fanboys would claim the legs to do AKL to JFK.


Boeing doesn't offer a 787-9 ULR model, hence there is nothing to claim.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
aviationaware
Posts: 1637
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: DL outlines A350 routes

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:58 pm

I mixed up nm and statute miles above. I will go into some hole and be ashamed for the rest of the night. Bye.
 
MD80MKE
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:26 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:36 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
Fact check.....the SIN to SFO flight has zero cargo and limited pax and bags.
.

Who told you that? I often depart from SFO in the morning. I can tell you from my observation that a good amout of cargo were unloaded after arrival from SIN. Westbound could be a little worse but no way like what you said zero cargo.
 
ASQ400
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:59 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:
Fact check.....the SIN to SFO flight has zero cargo and limited pax and bags. It by no means could fly AKL to JFK even with a limited load.


As always the payload/range chart is the place to be. JFK-AKL is 7,600 nm, taking the westbound trip into account it would equal ~ 25t payload which is more than the A350-900ULR can do on SIN-SFO.

Image

I would also note the 789 flies SIN to LAX but no Boeing fanboys would claim the legs to do AKL to JFK.


Boeing doesn't offer a 787-9 ULR model, hence there is nothing to claim.

Here's the deal. The A359ULR can apparently fly SIN-LAX and SIN-JFK,the latter being longer than AKL-JFK. Normal A359 might not be able to pull AKL off ex-JFK, but ULR can. As for the 789, I'd argue it might, since SIN-LAX is only 100mi off and LAX-SIN doesn't have much payload restriction
TLV, BRU, ZRH, CDG, FRA, EWR, JFK, DEN, SFO, AUS, RNO, SEA, YYC, YYZ, IAH, ATL, IAD, DCA, ORD, SJC, SNA
 
FriscoHeavy
Posts: 987
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:23 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
ASQ400 wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

Not with a full passenger load, not even remotely. JFK-AKL is 8,800 nm. In Delta's config, I would say the maximum range is 7,700 nm and that needs subtraction for wind and other factors. It can't even do JFK-HKG with a full load. Also, it can reach no point in Asia from JFK with a full passenger load and significant amounts of cargo.

Those are numbers from an Airbus IR presentation, so they will be on the optimistic side of things. The A359 is nowhere near doing JFK-AKL.

The A359-operated SFO-SIN is 400 miles shy of JFK-AKL, bud. SQ's coming 900ULR routes (LAX,JFK) both prove the possibility of AKL on that plane, although possibly not the normal 900.
As for JFK-HKG, it's less than SIN-SFO (a current route of the 900). Evidently, then, JFK-HKG is chump change for it.



I love how Airbus fanboys always say.....but, but, but SQ does SIN to SFO to the A359 can fly any route on planet Earth!!!


Fact check.....the SIN to SFO flight has zero cargo and limited pax and bags. It by no means could fly AKL to JFK even with a limited load. I would also note the 789 flies SIN to LAX but no Boeing fanboys would claim the legs to do AKL to JFK.

Look...I get you like Airbus and the 359. But keep it real.....okay.


UA's 789 takes a full load of passengers and some cargo on nearly every flight. Rarely (occasionally in the winter), does it need to block a few seats.

Most days, it won't even need to block seats on the upcoming LAX-SIN leg. Airbus fans never want to admit how great the 787 is.
Donald J Trump - MAGA
 
airzona11
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:35 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
MarcoPoloWorld wrote:
And to all the upgrade-whiners here, just stop it. The business model is finally turning away from a dichotomous roulette between a crappy coach seat and a luxurious prime class seat, to a more granular offering, where we can pay for the level of service we want in a way that is in many cases reasonably proportional to the offering.

^ This.

Especially for steerage-- of all carriers, DL is the one who merits the least amount of whining:
  • They're one of the few airlines in the world still offering 9abreast in all 777s in all Y seats.
  • A330s and A350s are configured with their original 8 and 9 abreast offerings, respectively.


If offering more passengers choices and more comfort is a selling point, which I do not disagree, why are they removing comfort plus? If 3 choices of cabin offering is better than 2, certainly 4 would be better than 3.

It must be because people might pay the smaller upgrade amount to Y+ and "make do" vs spending more on the full PY upgrade. Something tells me the leg room on Y isn't going to be generous, probably close to 30 than 33inches, seems like there would still be room for Y+.
 
PWMRamper
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:26 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:52 pm

Polot wrote:
A350 wrote:
Cool. I would have expected them to use it on a shorter route for the first weeks until the crew is more familiar with it and the second frame has arrived.

They will. This is DL first "regular" A350 route.

Using the term flight in the title is a little misleading. This is the first route, not flight (which will probably be something like DTW-ATL).


There's every indication Delta won't be doing domestic proving routes first, at least with passengers.

Anyways, I snagged a great deal on Friday for J out, Y back in the hopes that the 777 placeholder would move to the A350. Sure enough, I was right!

This will be my second inaugural (AA 787 was my first). I'm really looking forward to checking out Suites! :D
 
User avatar
foxecho
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2000 12:43 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:21 am

AWACSooner wrote:
First flight on 30 October...seats wide open!


I'm going to nonrev on it on my Birthday, 12 Nov... I'm not holding my breath for a Suite lol

Andrew
..uh, we'll need that to live......
 
777Mech
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:13 am

PWMRamper wrote:
Polot wrote:
A350 wrote:
Cool. I would have expected them to use it on a shorter route for the first weeks until the crew is more familiar with it and the second frame has arrived.

They will. This is DL first "regular" A350 route.

Using the term flight in the title is a little misleading. This is the first route, not flight (which will probably be something like DTW-ATL).



Anyways, I snagged a great deal on Friday for J out, Y back in the hopes that the 777 placeholder would move to the A350. Sure enough, I was right!

This will be my second inaugural (AA 787 was my first). I'm really looking forward to checking out Suites! :D


I'll be on the inaugural as well in premium select! Gonna non rev back a few days later!
 
ASQ400
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:58 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:
ASQ400 wrote:
The A359-operated SFO-SIN is 400 miles shy of JFK-AKL, bud. SQ's coming 900ULR routes (LAX,JFK) both prove the possibility of AKL on that plane, although possibly not the normal 900.
As for JFK-HKG, it's less than SIN-SFO (a current route of the 900). Evidently, then, JFK-HKG is chump change for it.



I love how Airbus fanboys always say.....but, but, but SQ does SIN to SFO to the A359 can fly any route on planet Earth!!!


Fact check.....the SIN to SFO flight has zero cargo and limited pax and bags. It by no means could fly AKL to JFK even with a limited load. I would also note the 789 flies SIN to LAX but no Boeing fanboys would claim the legs to do AKL to JFK.

Look...I get you like Airbus and the 359. But keep it real.....okay.


UA's 789 takes a full load of passengers and some cargo on nearly every flight. Rarely (occasionally in the winter), does it need to block a few seats.

Most days, it won't even need to block seats on the upcoming LAX-SIN leg. Airbus fans never want to admit how great the 787 is.

I actually do consider the 787 (especially the 9) to be an excellent plane, and I'm not sure why Airbus is bothering with the A330neo parallel with the A350. The 789 probably has the legs to fly AKL-JFK as much as the A359ULR (the LAX-SIN run is comparable to that route).
I believe neither SQ nor UA's current SFO-SIN route has large payload hits (the ULR won't, even though the regular A359 might), although much-longer routes like NY-SIN, PER-LHR, and the hypothetical NYC-AKL would all require some payload cuts on either plane.
TLV, BRU, ZRH, CDG, FRA, EWR, JFK, DEN, SFO, AUS, RNO, SEA, YYC, YYZ, IAH, ATL, IAD, DCA, ORD, SJC, SNA
 
panam330
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:02 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
UA's 789 takes a full load of passengers and some cargo on nearly every flight. Rarely (occasionally in the winter), does it need to block a few seats.

Most days, it won't even need to block seats on the upcoming LAX-SIN leg. Airbus fans never want to admit how great the 787 is.

I work for UA in ops. I work this flight 5 days a week, and that's just not true. On the westbound SFO-SIN, 40-45 seats are routinely blocked in Y. They know this will also be the case for LAX-SIN. I have never once seen flight 1 push with a full load in the back, with NRSA left at the gate for weight restrictions.
 
MD80MKE
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:26 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 am

panam330 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
UA's 789 takes a full load of passengers and some cargo on nearly every flight. Rarely (occasionally in the winter), does it need to block a few seats.

Most days, it won't even need to block seats on the upcoming LAX-SIN leg. Airbus fans never want to admit how great the 787 is.

I work for UA in ops. I work this flight 5 days a week, and that's just not true. On the westbound SFO-SIN, 40-45 seats are routinely blocked in Y. They know this will also be the case for LAX-SIN. I have never once seen flight 1 push with a full load in the back, with NRSA left at the gate for weight restrictions.


^^That's the people who tell the truth, right here. Payload chart says part of the fact, but not necessarily the exact numbers. There are so many other factors that could more or less alter the overall aircraft performance on the route.
 
hz747300
Posts: 2047
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:38 pm

Re: DL outlines A350 routes

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 am

I am actually surprised that SEA-HKG is not more popular; but that's why I am not a fleet planner I suppose. Whilst it would be nice to have the A359 on the SEA route, the fact that this flight is 3x-4x weekly in the winter replaced with NRT service on the off days, tells me everything I need to know. Anyhow, let's see what those crazy people at DL come up with next for HK!
Keep on truckin'...
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 9215
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: DL outlines A350 routes

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:11 am

It's sorta amazing just how badly DL has always struggled in the HKG market.

But then again, one thing that contrasts them to their extant peers, is that they've never served HKG from more than one stateside (Lower48) destination at a time. So when it was LAX, then DTW, then SEA, it's always been sort of a geographic limitation for a significant part of their customer base.

By contrast, UA and AA/CX have all parts of the country covered with a 1stop or less; and can start focusing on things like LatAm to HKG and beyond.



hz747300 wrote:
Anyhow, let's see what those crazy people at DL come up with next for HK!

So now that DL will have an airplane that might swing the economics of DTW-HKG back into DL's favor, being able to offer two nonstops and nearly all points of the country 1stop; maybe that'll improve their stateside offering.

Probably won't do much for their HK-side P.O.S. though, as I doubt many people in HKG have any clue who they are. Last two times I was in the city, I scoured the place looking for the slightest hint of DL advertising-- only to find none.

I really wish I could know why they haven't been tripping over themselves to partner with HX, who has intercon codeshare relationships. Or heck, even UO, despite U-FLY.

It could raise awareness of their service in the market significantly, and also provide some southern Chinese feed that CZ can't really help them with, seeing as they don't fly to CAN. But I guess they don't see it that way... yet?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
cessna2
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:16 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:25 am

cx828 wrote:
How about sea-hkg, will it change to 359 eventually?

By the end of 2018 to early 2019 all TransPac service will shift to 777/359. Delta wants to compete against foreign asian carriers with its Biz suites.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 1102
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: DL outlines A350 routes

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:26 am

I am more interested in the pilot group synergies. The full allotment of 25 A350's would replace all 777's and 747's one for one. The A330/330NEO/350 will be a very efficient lineup from a pilot staffing perspective.

A true 767 replacement is still up in the air I suppose.
 
michman
Posts: 760
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:51 am

Re: DL A350 inaugural flight will be DTW-NRT

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:32 am

ual777newpaint wrote:
As I feared, no more Comfort+ cabin. Huge blow for Delta elites :cry:


Can't say I'll miss C+ much. I've given up C+ seats a number of times (yes, aisle ones), to take an aisle seat further back with an empty middle next to it. Maybe if C+ had a decent amount of additional recline to go with it's legroom, I'd miss it more. DL used to advertise 50% more recline, but have stopped even making that claim. I suspect they had to reduce it on the aircraft with non-tilting LCD's so people could still see the screen when the person in front of them reclined. Contrast this to Economy Comfort on KL where the additional recline is a full 100% (yes, I've flown in them and, yes, the difference between DL C+ is quite noticeable). I realize there are tall folks where the additional legroom is critical, but for me being of shorter stature, it's just not that big a deal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos