Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mikesbucky
Topic Author

Blimp crash at US Open

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:38 pm

Apparently a blimp caught fire and crashed at the US Open today. Details are sketchy, but it seems the pilot ejected (didn't know that was possible from a blimp) and suffered burns.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/06/1 ... ashes.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2715 ... =editorial

32andBelow

Re: Blimp crash at US Open

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:03 pm

Omg please tell me that is a United ad on the side of it

scutfarcus

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:11 pm

"Omg please tell me that is a United ad on the side of it"

No, it's actually PenFed, a credit union. But that would have been darkly funny.

VSMUT

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:15 pm

mikesbucky wrote:
but it seems the pilot ejected (didn't know that was possible from a blimp)

Just average retarded journalism. In the link they even show a twitter post where he is described as having bailed out.

sw733

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Crazy stuff. Can't remember seeing anything like this happening before at any event as big as this!

VSMUT wrote:
mikesbucky wrote:

Just average retarded journalism. In the link they even show a twitter post where he is described as having bailed out.

Using the "r" word in 2017...“It’s a bold move Cotton, let’s see if it pays off.”

b747400erf

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:37 pm

VSMUT wrote:
mikesbucky wrote:

It still fits the dictionary term. This is like American gun nuts arguing about magazine and clip. It makes no difference and you are just talking about a pointless sentence that has nothing to do with the story.

TWA772LR

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:42 pm

The pilot did eject from the blimp as he did leave the cockpit and aircraft.

Thank God he's ok. Did he bail out with a parachute or was the blimp close enough to the ground to where he could jump?

polywad6963

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Pilot used parachute, I wonder if they had a camera man onboard for ariel coverage, and if so did he/she make it out alright as well?

32andBelow

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:48 pm

polywad6963 wrote:
Pilot used parachute, I wonder if they had a camera man onboard for ariel coverage, and if so did he/she make it out alright as well?

Of course there was cameras. That's the whole point of a blimp.

sw733

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:51 pm

32andBelow wrote:
polywad6963 wrote:

Not always. Above all else, the blimp is a tool of marketing...an aerial billboard that can move from event to event. Now, there are plenty of cases where they DO have cameras and cover sporting events, but there are also plenty of classes where they're simply a moving billboard with no cameras.

Was this THE blimp for the US Open? If so, it probably had cameras.

polywad6963

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:52 pm

32andBelow wrote:
polywad6963 wrote:

I was implying if they were controlled remotely or if there was a person operating onboard, and if that said person if onboard escaped any injuries or worse. News agencies haven't mentioned it, that is why I was asking the question.

wjcandee

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Okay, so the US Open says it isn't an affiliated blimp. So it's advertising -- like banner-towing.

Seems in the video to be an odd shape. Any idea of a reg # or photo of the thing inflated?

Could it have been a balloon rather than a "blimp"?

FlyUSAir

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Glad the pilot is OK, I have to laugh at the first comment though, that would've been hilarious!

Blimpie

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:29 pm

mikesbucky wrote:
Apparently a blimp caught fire and crashed at the US Open today. Details are sketchy, but it seems the pilot ejected (didn't know that was possible from a blimp) and suffered burns.

Last report that came across my desk in the bullpen about two hours ago was the blimp driver was pulled from the gondola by the ground crew and had rode the LTA to the ground.

(PS: The only blimp pilot I ever met and had the pleasure of flying in an LTA with was an Aussie named Bret Viets, PIC of the FujiFilm and Hanger One blimps; his business card read Blimp Driver, so I am running under the assumption that this is the correct term)

32andBelow

Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Blimpie wrote:
mikesbucky wrote:

Last report that came across my desk in the bullpen about two hours ago was the blimp driver was pulled from the gondola by the ground crew and had rode the LTA to the ground.

(PS: The only blimp pilot I ever met and had the pleasure of flying in an LTA with was an Aussie named Bret Viets, PIC of the FujiFilm and Hanger One blimps; his business card read Blimp Driver, so I am running under the assumption that this is the correct term)

I believe he rode a HTA to the ground

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos