Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mjoelnir

Re: Airports that had potential that never made it

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:27 pm

r2rho wrote:
Start talking numbers rather than emotions.

It is you who is seems to get emotional about this... I have already said that the road infrastructure is insufficient for the expected southward shift in traffic flows, and that link to main rail is currently blocked by Nimbys. The runway to terminal capacity relationship very much cares about whether traffic is O&D or connecting. Plus, BER is politically capped to 360,000 below the true capacity of 2 independent runways, and the operating hours are not set in stone, as there is a proposal on the table for a 2200 curfew.

In order to not derail the thread, I will refrain from further comments.

In what way does a runway care about if the traffic is O&D or connecting? Care to put up a reason?

Even if BER is political capped at 360,000 movements, that is around 80.000 movements more, than SFX and TLX have together today with about 280,000 movements.
So movements can still still increase by 22%. Above that an increase in average size per frame would be necessary.
Especially because Berlin is O&D orientated, growth should slow down as Berlin is not growing that fast. Today Berlin Metro area has just slightly more than 6 Million inhapitants,
I do not see the need for more than one good sized airport.

You say that the road infrastructure is insufficient for the southwards flow, prepared to give a reason? As far as I see it Berlin has by far the best motorway structure of any big German city.
Regarding the Railroad Berlin Dresden, all the trouble is to the north of the airport, where currently only the S-Bahn runs on the old tracks from Priesterweg bis Blankenfelde. Trains coming from the railway station at BER, should have no trouble going to Dresden, on a double track electrified allowing 160 km/h.

And if the BER terminal opens one day, the main problem in this theater play in Berlin, what airlines would stay in TXL? It would shrink to a regional airport with a capacity around 12 million for regional airlines, that will have a difficult battle with the new railroad systems, that do see an increase in speed over the next years. The Deutsche Bahn runs as it is high speed ICE trains from Berlin to destinations like Hamburg, Munich, Cologne, Stuttgart, Frankfurt am Main and others.
The agreement to close TXL was to reduce the noise in the build up area around that airport, the movements are not capped because of this agreement and the need to run a small airport far above its capacity. Even if TXL would stay open after the BER terminal opens, we would instantly see movement caps and night closure. The airport would never have been build up there inside the city, if it would not have been for the special situation regarding West-Berlin after the second World War.

Anyway, we will see this argument every time when a new airport is build and the old should close. Around 32 million passengers is not to much for one reasonable sized airport. LGW does 43 million pax with one runway and 280,000 movements.

And we are exactly not derailing the thread, but at the heart of it, never close an airport, you could need in the next 50 years. :sarcastic: Even if it leads to the new main airport never getting into stride, having two airports or more, non being big enough, to offer reasonable connections.
Last edited by mjoelnir on Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmacleod

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:29 pm

bmacleod wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:
Montreal Mirabel Airport- Quite a famous one, built to replace Dorval (Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport) it was going to be the main international airport in the area. However due to its location and the long range jets coming into play, passengers just didnt like the airport. Its now a pure cargo hub, with a racecourse on one side and aircraft factory in the other.

In Canada beside YMX - YQX - Gander International despite its size, hardly any decent traffic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gander_International_Airport

bmacleod

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:30 pm

Samrnpage wrote:
Montreal Mirabel Airport- Quite a famous one, built to replace Dorval (Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport) it was going to be the main international airport in the area. However due to its location and the long range jets coming into play, passengers just didnt like the airport. Its now a pure cargo hub, with a racecourse on one side and aircraft factory in the other.

In Canada beside YMX - YQX - Gander International despite its size, hardly any decent traffic.

9w748capt

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:40 pm

bmacleod wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:

YQX - Gander International despite its size, hardly any decent traffic.

Huh? Why would such a small population base warrant more traffic?

DfwAussie

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:45 pm

LatAmFlyer wrote:
I sure wish the moderators would show me airport names when I mouse over their codes. They've decided to take that ability away from us. Bites.

Easy - https://www.world-airport-codes.com/

DfwAussie

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:48 pm

N14AZ wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
LatAmFlyer wrote:
I sure wish the moderators would show me airport names when I mouse over their codes. They've decided to take that ability away from us. Bites.

...or, instead of (pointlessly) whining, get proactive: learn a few new airport codes with each visit.

Wow, rather unfriendly. You really manage to write like Thranduil speaks... ;-)

Seriously, I visit a.net since more than 15 years several times a day and I still have problems with all these codes, especially domestic airports.

Back to the topic, depending on how it will go on, I think we can add HHN.

I was a lurker for years. He isn't exactly the most tactful of commentators on this site.

stl07

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:51 pm

9w748capt wrote:
bmacleod wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:

Nearby St. John's has flights to multiple destination in europe

DfwAussie

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:53 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
Dont forget Alliance (AFW) in Fort Worth. Although with the areas size and growth it still may be a viable passenger airport someday.

Not overly well placed for commercial activity. Convenient for north Fort Worth and Denton perhaps, but it's been proven Fort Worth can't support a standalone airport for commercial usage, and DFW has ample room for more flights/pax.

DfwAussie

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:57 pm

bmacleod wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:

Gander was an important gateway in the early days of TATL. Now there's no need to stop there (sans an emergency or diversion).

alasizon

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:13 pm

cosyr wrote:
COS when WestPac was growing. They built a new concourse, and tried to market themselves as a 2nd Denver airport. With the growth south of Denver, it's not impossible, but it will never be like MDW is to ORD.

I think COS will continue to grow as its a great airport serving a growing population base. It wouldn't surprise me if three years down the line or so, they start looking at adding a few more gates. If WN came to town, that would really help bolster the airport (now WN would never want to cannibalize DEN, so you'd probably only see BUR, LAX, SAN, OAK, LAS, HOU, PHX, MDW, MCO and BWI once to twice daily for each even once the station was running).

nadavatar64

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:34 pm

I think CDT can also be counted as one.

LAX772LR

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:34 pm

stl07 wrote:

On multiple carriers at that

DfwAussie wrote:
He isn't exactly the most tactful of commentators on this site.

Plenty of tact, I just reserve it for situations where merited. :smile:

alasizon wrote:
If WN came to town, that would really help bolster the airport (now WN would never want to cannibalize DEN, so you'd probably only see BUR, LAX, SAN, OAK, LAS, HOU, PHX, MDW, MCO and BWI

Curious: at its peak, how many of the largest metros did WestPac serve from there?

Grandpa

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:35 pm

LatAmFlyer wrote:

I can't agree more...

cschleic

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:38 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:
Montreal Mirabel Airport- Quite a famous one, built to replace Dorval (Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport) it was going to be the main international airport in the area. However due to its location and the long range jets coming into play, passengers just didnt like the airport. Its now a pure cargo hub, with a racecourse on one side and aircraft factory in the other

Like MXP, KIX, IAD, and so many others... the governing bodies made the mistake of leaving the older more-convenient airport open, and usually with more extensive/convenient ground transportation at that. So the pax never materialized for the new larger gateway.

That should've long since been the takeaway lesson for airport building:
unless you're dealing with an alpha-level world city, then if you're going to build a replacement airport, CLOSE the predecessor!

Or come up with a Wright amendment!

LAX772LR

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:50 pm

cschleic wrote:
Or come up with a Wright amendment!

But as we've seen, THAT can be undone whenever a powerful airline greases enough political wheels.

....but nothing can undo a bulldozer's handiwork though. ;)
Last edited by LAX772LR on Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User001

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:51 pm

I suppose Manchester UK could feature in this list.

Terminal 3 was built purposefully for British Airways to serve as a Northern hub. It was built with the promise of multiple B777 flights and plentiful European routes, and allowed for connection times of less than 45 minutes.

As we know, the proposed hub never happened, with BA now just serving 9 destinations from Manchester, 7 of those summer only. T3 is now primarily served by Ryanair and Flybe, serving a purpose it was never intended to do so now features heavily in the passengers 'dislike' list.

polywad6963

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:15 pm

What about CLE? I think it could have been more during the Iron/Coal era, but that was before me. I do remember the International service on CO to LHR and think it could've been bigger internationally, but with ORD/DTW/NYC about 20-60min flying time away maybe not.

aeromoe

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Quote" "Strangely enough, if you look at an old message ... one from before the switch to the new site ... that function still works!" But the weird thing about that function was that people/posters were abbreviating so many things, different types of codes were assigned to completely non-relevant meanings. Two-letter airline codes, three-letter airport codes were often shown with completely different definitions when hovered-over. I'm personally glad that feature is gone.

atypical

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:36 pm

My vote is for GSW. DFW is built on the northern side of GSW. The end of the N-S runway for GSW is still visible on the southern portion of DFW.

cheapgreek

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:37 pm

While its a small airport, HVN has been stymied for years in its attempt to grow and and add to its 5600 foot runway. Over the last few years, some progress has been made in tree cutting and adding 1000 foot gravel overruns on both ends of 2-20. Now the airport is suing the state of CT which is fighting its plans to pave 1000 feet of the southern overrun and 500 feet on the northern one. The state it appears does not want competition from another state airport and puts all its eggs in BDL's basket. HVN is in the middle of a large catchment area and is one of the few commercial airports within the city limits. Several airlines over the past years surveyed the airport for new service but the limited runway was the airports Achilles heel. The court case is to resume July 19 and hopefully the judgement will be in HVN's favor. Several factors make the case for the airports quest to upgrade the runways, 1. The state statute violates federal interstate commerce laws and 2. AA's Piedmont airlines is transitioning from the Dash-8 to RJ's. By the end of 2017, Piedmont will only have 4 Dash-8-100's and 11 Dash-8-300's.
Without more runway, commercial service will end and the airports runway plan will not involve the taking of more land.

777PHX

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:47 pm

kbmiflyer wrote:

Another airport would be BLV (Mid-American Airport in St. Louis). I personally am not sure it fits the category because I am not sure it ever had potential, but somebody did. It manages to survive and has actually been increasing passenger counts as Allegiant continues to appear to do well there, but it will never reach its potential as a second St. Louis airport since STL is now overflowing with capacity since AA pulled out as a hub and the 3rd runway was built.

BLV was a boondoggle from the get-go.

While it's true, STL was bursting at the seams in terms of traffic up until 2003 or so, STL also had started the 11/29 project way back in the early 90s.

So, sure, assuming TWA800 and 9/11 hadn't happened, and TWA(or AA) was a thriving airline at STL, BLV still wouldn't be needed with the addition of the new runway.

CXA330300

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:57 pm

HPN definitely comes to mind - it's conveniently located between two of the wealthiest counties in the United States, and certainly better for the Connecticut Gold Coast than EWR/HPN/JFK. The problem is that said wealthy people do not like too many "noisy" aircraft overhead...

alasizon

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
alasizon wrote:
If WN came to town, that would really help bolster the airport (now WN would never want to cannibalize DEN, so you'd probably only see BUR, LAX, SAN, OAK, LAS, HOU, PHX, MDW, MCO and BWI

Curious: at its peak, how many of the largest metros did WestPac serve from there?

According to their 1996 route map (http://www.departedflights.com/W7061596.jpg) they served SEA, PDX, SFO, SJC, LAX, SAN, LAS, PHX, SAT, IAH, DFW, TUL, OKC, MCI, MDW, IND, BNA, ATL, EWR & IAD

TheLion

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:12 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
Wow, rather unfriendly.

Perhaps, but no less pertinent

N14AZ wrote:
more than 15 years several times a day and I still have problems with all these codes

...probably NOT the type of thing one would want to freely admit/volunteer. Just sayin'.

N14AZ wrote:
I think we can add HHN.

Why?

Don't be so hard on N14AZ. Not everyone has encyclopaedic knowledge of all airport codes.

Kilopond

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Dakar (DKR) and Karachi (KHI) both had been global default stopover points during the piston era and beyond. But their countries failed to adopt to the new conditions and those airports declined from some kind of a "global premiere league port" to an "unsignificant third world dump".

In contrast to that, Singapore and Bangkok started the game at about the same level and with the same conditions. But look where they are now, compered to Karachi and Dakar...

DfwAussie

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:18 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
stl07 wrote:

On multiple carriers at that

DfwAussie wrote:
He isn't exactly the most tactful of commentators on this site.

Plenty of tact, I just reserve it for situations where merited. :smile:

alasizon wrote:

Hey it's all good. I have an amazing ability to filter out snarky remarks. Since I just joined after years of reading, you were special enough to merit a comment. Cheers mate!

DfwAussie

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:21 pm

atypical wrote:
My vote is for GSW. DFW is built on the northern side of GSW. The end of the N-S runway for GSW is still visible on the southern portion of DFW.

I still have timetables when airlines flew there. Many flight to DAL. AA had a flight to LAX into the 60's, I think an Electra but I'm not going to dig through 10,000 timetables. At least two airlines flew out of Meacham in the 80s, but both didn't last very long.

DfwAussie

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:24 pm

alasizon wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
alasizon wrote:

According to their 1996 route map (http://www.departedflights.com/W7061596.jpg) they served SEA, PDX, SFO, SJC, LAX, SAN, LAS, PHX, SAT, IAH, DFW, TUL, OKC, MCI, MDW, IND, BNA, ATL, EWR & IAD

I liked the concept and they ha some decent liveries. Though they wouldn't had survived regardless, the proposed merger with F9 and movement of a lot of COS services to DEN hastened their demise.

yanksn4

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:35 am

CXA330300 wrote:
HPN definitely comes to mind - it's conveniently located between two of the wealthiest counties in the United States, and certainly better for the Connecticut Gold Coast than EWR/HPN/JFK. The problem is that said wealthy people do not like too many "noisy" aircraft overhead...

For NYC area, add ISP to the list where there is potential but it will probably never be met.
Gone are the flights to MDW, DCA, ATL with really only Florida and PHL/BWI left but still in a significant catchment area in Suffolk County and some extents Nassau.
Has rail access right next to the airport direct to NYC but cannot hold onto any service, and the options on B6 / DL from make sure that people will still drive to JFK.
Living more or less equally between ISP and JFK, I would consider it more if only it had more service.

sixtyseven

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:58 am

CYHM. Sure it works for cargo but after years of chasing passenger traffic and an oft repeated huge "catchment" area. Hamilton is just a cargo airport. A lot like YMX

Trololzilla

Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:51 am

777PHX wrote:
kbmiflyer wrote:

Another airport would be BLV (Mid-American Airport in St. Louis). I personally am not sure it fits the category because I am not sure it ever had potential, but somebody did. It manages to survive and has actually been increasing passenger counts as Allegiant continues to appear to do well there, but it will never reach its potential as a second St. Louis airport since STL is now overflowing with capacity since AA pulled out as a hub and the 3rd runway was built.

BLV was a boondoggle from the get-go.

While it's true, STL was bursting at the seams in terms of traffic up until 2003 or so, STL also had started the 11/29 project way back in the early 90s.

So, sure, assuming TWA800 and 9/11 hadn't happened, and TWA(or AA) was a thriving airline at STL, BLV still wouldn't be needed with the addition of the new runway.

And to add on, the original 11/29 plan included a new midfield terminal that is technically just on indefinite hold.

intotheair

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:02 am

Here's another one I thought of: CCR. It sustained commercial service for a while, though the crash into nearby Sunvalley Mall turned neighbor opinion strongly against any expansion of service. It otherwise could have been a great little airport serving Contra Costa County not unlike what BUR and LGB are to the LA basin. It currently has scheduled charter service on JetSuiteX, but I doubt we'll ever see any of the majors try to start regional or mainline service into CCR again.

Also, now that a fourth bore has been built through the Caldecott Tunnel and an even better BART link to OAK, not to mention the one-seat ride on BART to SFO, there's not too much of a need for a commercial airport in Contra Costa County anymore anyway. But before all of those transportation projects, I could see how CCR would have had much more potential demand. I suppose it still could become a potential reliever airport in time once SFO and OAK are completely built out, which is probably decades away.

kaminari

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:05 am

Brookley Field (BFM) had a lot of potential to be the regional airport in Mobile, AL. and a lot of people still would like it to happen since Mobile Regional (MOB) is kind of out of the way and has a bad reputation for high fares (and the worst carpet pattern Ive ever seen). BFM has more land, longer runways and located next to downtown Mobile, the port, I-10, and I-65, but It won't happen now that the aerospace industries have built up there.

jplatts

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:17 am

yanksn4 wrote:
CXA330300 wrote:

For NYC area, add ISP to the list where there is potential but it will probably never be met.
Gone are the flights to MDW, DCA, ATL with really only Florida and PHL/BWI left but still in a significant catchment area in Suffolk County and some extents Nassau.
Has rail access right next to the airport direct to NYC but cannot hold onto any service, and the options on B6 / DL from make sure that people will still drive to JFK.
Living more or less equally between ISP and JFK, I would consider it more if only it had more service.

Southwest expanded into LGA in 2009 and EWR in 2011, and Southwest has added nonstops out of both of these airports to Midwestern cities that jetBlue does not serve since its entry into these two airports. Southwest's LGA and EWR flights are targeted towards tourists and business travelers visiting NYC from Colorado, Texas, the Midwest, and the Southeast. LGA is the closest commercial airport to Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens. In addition, many of the beaches along the southwestern part of Long Island, including Atlantic Beach, Long Beach, and Jones Beach are also closer to LGA than to ISP.

XRadar98

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:27 am

GSP psgr wrote:
MCAS El Toro: Could have been LA's EWR had it been used as a commercial airport.

Never would have worked, even if every local voted yes. The terrain would not allow a workable arrival departure flow. Never mind the voters said no enough to make it dead.

SeaDoo

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:31 am

LatAmFlyer wrote:

Off topic, but I can't believe the negative comments against the above author. The previous way of moving the mouse over the code was much better than not having that ability now. Are we really suggesting it is better to have to go to another website if one doesn't know the airport code?

texdravid

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:53 am

MCI is the easiest example I can think of. Middle of the North American continent.
Very easily could have been a DFW or MSP or even ORD.
So much room to grow and any city in the continental US is 3 hours away.

But, the terminals were too small and with modern security needs, it is woefully inadequate.
The city has little O&D, and winter weather is not great.

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:27 am

Kilopond wrote:
Dakar (DKR) and Karachi (KHI) both had been global default stopover points during the piston era and beyond.

:checkmark: Lot of people forget that DKR hosted the very first revenue pax Concorde landing as well.

DfwAussie wrote:
Hey it's all good. I have an amazing ability to filter out snarky remarks.

Here ya go, have one:

yanksn4 wrote:
Gone are the flights to MDW, DCA, ATL with really only Florida and PHL/BWI left

Oh wow, had no idea it was pared down that much :eek:

texdravid wrote:
But, the terminals were too small and with modern security needs, it is woefully inadequate.

Though of all those factors, only one is really responsible for its failure to blossom.
It could have the newest terminals and the sunniest weather, but that wouldn't have changed its fate.

Andy33

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:16 am

flipdewaf wrote:
with proper access (dual carriageway from the A66 to a correct sized car park) feeding a new terminal (not just clad in aluminium panels) and the train station moved to next to the airport with more than 1 train per week it could be a good airport, if it were under the leadership of someone who was responsible for regeneration of Teesside then I would think it would get a lot more support and help drive business growth in the area. A sad affair indeed. Stupid peel holdings.

Fred

But the railway station, when it was opened in 1971, had easy access to the then terminal building. Redevelopment and rearrangement of the airport left the station 15 minutes walk from the terminal entrance - a self inflicted wound by airport management. It isn't possible to place a new station nearer than 350m from the current terminal entrance, due to the need for the station to be located on the railway line :smile:
There used to be buses to the airport from nearby towns too. They lost money, they were withdrawn.
Personally I think that the railway (in so far as the assemblage of different companies and organisations that makes up the UK railway industry has a collective view of anything) is expecting Peel to use all or part of the airport site for industrial development before long. At this point the station might actually serve a useful purpose again, and it is cheaper to leave a skeleton service in place than to go through a formal closure procedure. There's a relatively frequent train service passing through the station that could be arranged to stop there, if there was any demand for a service.

coolian2

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:57 am

RNZAF Whenuapai

No way that place couldn't handle a few domestic/regional flights out of North Auckland.

caverunner17

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:06 am

cosyr wrote:
COS when WestPac was growing. They built a new concourse, and tried to market themselves as a 2nd Denver airport. With the growth south of Denver, it's not impossible, but it will never be like MDW is to ORD.

The issue with the COS airport is that the location isn't ideal for anyone north of Castle Rock and I-25 can be a complete mess at times, so your ideal pax who are going to be driving to COS is going to be much, much smaller then DEN. That and except for F9, prices tend to be ~20-30% higher at COS on the legacies than from DEN. I have multiple friends who live in the Springs that drive to DEN for most of their flights.

intotheair

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:34 am

caverunner17 wrote:
cosyr wrote:

The issue with the COS airport is that the location isn't ideal for anyone north of Castle Rock and I-25 can be a complete mess at times, so your ideal pax who are going to be driving to COS is going to be much, much smaller then DEN. That and except for F9, prices tend to be ~20-30% higher at COS on the legacies than from DEN. I have multiple friends who live in the Springs that drive to DEN for most of their flights.

Exactly. From what I've ever been able to gather, most people who suggest COS as a DEN alternative on here have never lived in Colorado. Even if you live in south Denver, or even in the very extreme parts of the metro area like in Highlands Ranch or Parker, getting to DEN through 225 in peak traffic is still considerably faster than trying to drive all the way down to COS in no traffic. It's just too far with too little service and with no good way to ramp it up with enticing low fares. I think F9 will probably do okay with their recent adds there, but I don't think it'll ever grow substantially like it did in the Western Pacific days.

DEN is now just too convenient (relatively) and too inexpensive of an airport with plenty of service and miles of room for expansion to the point that there will never be another airport to rival it in the metro area for probably another century. COS is too far for anyone north of Castle Rock, nobody has ever really been able to get service to stick at FNL, and neighbors will never let APA develop commercial service. You can bet that had Stapleton never fully closed or if it were kept in an airworthy state for long enough, someone like WN or G4 would have come in to try to start up a sizable operation from there again. But the city of Denver was smart enough to not let Stapleton turn into another DAL, DCA, or YUL and simultaneously cannibalize DIA.

CairnterriAIR

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:52 am

HVN.....strong catchment area, airlines want to add service....but difficulties lengthening the runways to accommodate the larger aircraft the airlines wish to use has had an adverse affect.

tmoney

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 am

Couldn't find a better example than my own airport RGN (Rangoon Mingalardon International Airport) in Burma. For the longest time for 65mil people, it was the only gateway out of Burma.
Back in 50s it was a pinnacle of aviation in SEAsia. Then a dictator decided to ef a country up. Along with the entire country, RGN went derelict. I remember a time in the 90s when almost every intl traffic had to go through BKK (DMK) or SIN.

Now with the democratic gov we're getting regular EK 77W, SQ/QR 333/2s as the largest widebodies daily.

But here is the saddest part: Through all those years under the dictatorship, while the air traffic never picked up, people started housing developments around the airport. Now the airport is severely congested with only ONE runway to this day. And NO public transportation to the city. Either you take the ridiculously priced cabs or have someone pick you up.

SVJ77W

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:36 am

HRI - Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport in Sri Lanka comes to mind. It was built to have a capacity for 1 million passengers per year but now hardly one flight a day or may be 2 in what seems like an empty airport. A lot was planned for this airport but It seems it just did not takeoff for them. It was said the simple fact "this was the home region of then-president Mahinda Rajapaksa " and he wanted an airport there with other modern amenities to transform the little fishing village as mentioned in the forbes article on the below link posted last year about this airport titled " Story about the Worlds Emptiest Airport ".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2016/05/28/the-story-behind-the-worlds-emptiest-international-airport-sri-lankas-mattala-rajapaksa/#772dc14e7cea

Adding a Wikipedia link too which mentions it was built between an Elephant migratory path.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattala_Rajapaksa_International_Airport

skywaymanaz

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:20 am

texdravid wrote:
MCI is the easiest example I can think of. Middle of the North American continent.
Very easily could have been a DFW or MSP or even ORD.
So much room to grow and any city in the continental US is 3 hours away.

Growing up nearby I'd like to agree but . . . There are more problems with MCI than you listed. One of the biggest is there really aren't decent mid size cities to the west of MCI to get feed from until DEN so DEN soaks that up instead. Yes there is ICT, OKC, OMA and TUL but that's about it. EA, BN and NJ all tried hub operations and failed. This was also somewhat of a problem with STL but TW and OZ made it work for awhile with a few more cities to feed from and a larger metro area. WN has a decent sized mostly O&D operation at MCI now. It cannot expand due to terminal limitations you cite. Post 9/11 a connection at MCI was to be avoided at all costs. It isn't really much better now due to limited concessions beyond the now unified sterile side. The new terminal is needed but I'm sure WN's STL operation will always be larger, they just have no choice now but to grow it at MCI's expense.

bmacleod

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:14 pm

9w748capt wrote:
bmacleod wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:

Exactly my point - a big terminal that serves very few passengers, however no new funding to tear down the terminal and replace it with a smaller one.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/gander-airport-replace-terminal-1.3589724

FlyUSAir

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:22 pm

CXA330300 wrote:

I definietly agree with HPN. Gone are the AirTran flights after WN merged with them, after AA/US merged gone are most of those flights, with only CLT, ORD, and DCA remaining. Other than those AA flights, two DL flights (ATL and DTW) and one UA flight to ORD, it's nothing but B6. Of course the NIMBY's (seem to be all on the Greenwich CT side, not the White Plains NY side) still use the airport while complaining about it.

I'd also throw in HVN (NIMBY's again from East Haven), which now only has AA Dash-8 service to PHL. There used to be service to airports such as EWR, DCA, CVG, and ORD. I sincerely hope HVN wins their lawsuit so they can expand their runways and eventually have E145 service from PHL, otherwise I do see AA pulling out once the Dash-8's are almost gone.

jimatkins

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Lived in ONT's general area a lot of my life, flown out of there many times. They got pummeled by the Great Recession and the area is just barely coming back. Flights have been cut way down from the early 2000's. My sister lived in central Orange county and preferred ONT to SNA by a mile, easier access, parking, everything.

AviationAddict

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:51 pm

Not really at the same level of some of the others mentioned above but ORH has a long history of false starts and what ifs. The lack of highway connections has been its biggest issue in the past. If the state could figure out a way to build a real highway to the airport ORH could potentially be a modest reliever for BOS (PVD and MHT will probably always reign supreme as the primary BOS relievers though, regardless of what they do with ORH).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos