Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcajet
Topic Author

Thanks to a LH F/A, a happy ending for Rubio the Dog

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:24 pm

O is a Lufthansa flight attendant that flies frequently to Buenos Aires due to her job. During a layover in February 2016 and while walking in a park near the hotel that the LH crew stays at, she ran into a dog that started to follow her. Being an animal lover, she played with the dog, bought the dog some food and water but did not make anything more out of it, other than realizing she and the dog had a connection.

At first, she did not know what to do, so she got in touch with an organization that adopts stray dogs, told them her story and asked them to take the dog and find him a responsible home. After she left, someone adopted the dog and named him Foster. After a few days, Foster had run away once again and found his way back to the hotel, waiting faithfully for O to show up.

O returned to Buenos Aires in April on another company trip and to her surprise, the dog had been faithfully waiting for her all this time. When she saw Foster waiting for her she instantly knew she’d be adopting him

Rubio waiting for O to show up at the hotel main entrance

Knowing she would not have be back in Buenos Aires until July, O worked with the hotel staff and a local doggy shelter, and began the process needed to move the dog with her to her home in Northern Germany. So after a few weeks and a good deal of paperwork, Foster, now named Rubio by O (Rubio means blonde in Spanish) found himself being taken to the airport for his 747-8 flight to Frankfurt, where he met his new life and family (O had two other dogs at home).

Rubio about to get on that 747-8 for his trip to his new home

Rubio is now happily living in Northern Germany with O and his doggy siblings, thanks to a chance meeting with a caring individual that made a difference.

Rubio playing with his siblings at his home in Northern Germany
Last edited by atcsundevil on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited for clarity

Revelation

Re: Thanks to a LH F/A, a happy ending for Rubio

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Nice story, but I hope you know Rubio is the name of a politician in the US (a former presidential candidate) and there is a slang meaning for "happy ending" (look it up on urbandictionary.com) that could cause some damage to the reputation of the LH F/A. Maybe the title should be changed to "Thanks to a LH F/A, a new home for a stray dog"...

Clipper136

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:08 am

I took the title of this thread to mean something completely different! Pardon me while I clean up my beer! :o

coolian2

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:12 am

Hahaha I was about to come in here and say "......but why?"

Actually a cool story, will definitely get some views.

dcajet
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:25 am

Well, I am in the US and thought about the title. But there is more to happy endings than just that. Cm'on guys, Lets get our minds out of the gutter.

Actually, Rubio is a common family name in Spanish. So Marco Rubio is not that unique after all! Other than his small hands...

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:14 am

Revelation wrote:
Nice story, but I hope you know Rubio is the name of a politician in the US (a former presidential candidate) and there is a slang meaning for "happy ending" (look it up on urbandictionary.com) that could cause some damage to the reputation of the LH F/A. Maybe the title should be changed to "Thanks to a LH F/A, a new home for a stray dog"...

Nailed it.

BawliBooch

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:16 am

I see what you did there! :P

tmoney

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:39 am

Came here totally thinking it has to do with Marco Rubio.

AR385

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:01 am

This story was all over the news in all of Latin America back when it happened. I think it´s a nice, comforting tale given what we usually get in the news everyday. Good for Ms. O and Rubio.

klwright69

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:57 am

What a great story... HEY the title got you all to read it! Well done!

flyinggoat

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:48 am

Well, that title has got to be the most misinterpreted thread title in the history of a.net!

Serge933

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:25 am

Revelation wrote:

So you took those 2 and interpreted it in your own little dirty way? Rubio means blonde in Spanish man... It's masculine, the politician is not the only definition of this word.
Happy ending? Really buddy? Do you do anything except lookup dirty words on urban dictionary with your sad little life? Come on man do you tell that to your children when they read their children books with a "happy ending" written on it? It amazes me that you took it as far as to say that he needs to change it because it may have repercussions on the F/A.... You gotta be kidding me. Grow up, please...

Clipper, leave the title, it's perfectly normal.

FlyUSAir

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:28 am

Great story!

Revelation

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:55 am

Serge933 wrote:
So you took those 2 and interpreted it in your own little dirty way?

Clearly it's more than my little way, several have made similar comments.

Rubio means blonde in Spanish man... It's masculine, the politician is not the only definition of this word.

This forum is in the English language and I for one had no idea Rubio means blonde in Spanish. To most US-based non-latino readers, the first association they will make with the word Rubio is the politician, not blonde.

Happy ending? Really buddy? Do you do anything except lookup dirty words on urban dictionary with your sad little life? Come on man do you tell that to your children when they read their children books with a "happy ending" written on it? It amazes me that you took it as far as to say that he needs to change it because it may have repercussions on the F/A.... You gotta be kidding me. Grow up, please...

I'm not raising any children, but if I were, I'd wait till they were mature and explain to them that things they post on the Internet can have unintended meanings, and they need to be pretty savvy about how others interpret what they write. Of course these days it's a good bet that they are already Internet savvy and snarky and would be sure to point out that "think of the children" is already an Internet meme:

"Think of the children" (also "What about the children?") is a cliché that evolved into a rhetorical tactic.[1][2][3] Literally it refers to children's rights (as in discussions of child labor).[4][5][6] In debate, however, as a plea for pity, used as an appeal to emotion, it is a logical fallacy.[1][2][3]

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_of_the_children

The logical fallacy is that the person using the plea is really not asking you to think of the children, they're really trying to distract you. In this case, that 'something else' seems to be you not wanting to admit the title has a second meaning quite different from the first. The article says "According to the authors, a debater may use the phrase to emotionally sway members of the audience and avoid logical discussion" and "Ethicist Jack Marshall described 'Think of the children!' as a tactic used in an attempt to end discussion by invoking an unanswerable argument.".

See, I do use the Internet for more things than reading Urban Dictionary. And I have to say using Urban Dictionary has helped me avoid embarrassment on more than one occasion, and I've referred people to it in several cases where they clearly did not understand how what they were saying would be interpreted. It has, for instance, helped me avoid explaining to work colleagues how "fag" might not be understood as a slang word for a cigarette and how a "teabagger" wasn't a reference to how much someone enjoyed tea.

So, in conclusion, my life is happy, and I am being a grown up.

dtw2hyd

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:02 am

Nice gesture by LH FA. Also glad this story came to light now, not during primaries.

steman

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:05 am

Revelation wrote:

I doubt that outside of the US many people ever heard of such politician. There is a whole world outside of the US and this is an international forum. The story in the thread is about a German woman working for a German airline and an Argentinian dog in Buenos Aires.
Let´s try not to be US centric all the time.
As for happy ending, for me it means just what the OP meant, a story which ends well.

A very nice story, thank you dcajet for posting it.

Revelation

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:24 am

steman wrote:
Part of this being an international forum is being aware of all the nationalities.

BN727227Ultra

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:32 am

Nice to wake up to some good news. :smile:

pilot320

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:34 am

This beautiful story is about a year old:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... urned.html

johns624

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Revelation wrote:
Serge933 wrote:
So you took those 2 and interpreted it in your own little dirty way?

Clearly it's more than my little way, several have made similar comments.

Happy ending? Really buddy? Do you do anything except lookup dirty words on urban dictionary with your sad little life? .

So, in conclusion, my life is happy, and I am being a grown up.
Yeah, that term is common slang. But, I guess we're all immature adolescents. Wait, isn't that what all men aspire to be? :)

oldannyboy

Re: Thanks to a LH F/A, a happy ending for Rubio the Dog

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing!

edgaren

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:02 pm

I happen to be a non-us based native spanish speaker (I live in Venezuela) and when I first read Rubio I have to admit I thought of Marco Rubio the Cuban-American politician, didnt know of the slang use of "happy ending" otherwise I wouldve had a good laugh.

dcajet
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Revelation wrote:
steman wrote:
Part of this being an international forum is being aware of all the nationalities.

Make that a memo to self. Most people outside the US and Cuba do not know who Marco Rubio is, especially after his 5 minutes of fame last year were over.
Last edited by dcajet on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcajet
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:06 pm

pilot320 wrote:
This beautiful story is about a year old:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... urned.html

The months and year are clearly stated on my post.

Revelation

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:13 pm

dcajet wrote:
Revelation wrote:
steman wrote:

Make that a memo to self. Most people outside the US and Cuba do not know who Marco Rubio is, especially after his 5 minutes of fame last year were over.

Right, so inclusion means ignoring people who do? SMH....

Dardania

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Great story!

It's amazing it was so "straightforward" to get the dog from one country, and integrated to another - having moved country with a pet, there's a big burden about getting tetanus shots, passport etc.

dcajet
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Revelation wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Right, so inclusion means ignoring people who do? SMH....

No, inclusion means taking the thread in the context it was meant, not some juvenile parochial interpretation. In the course of every day, adults run into many situations where many things we read or hear make us thing of something else, some funny, some salacious. But most people realize the joke may be lost on others, especially when mixing different cultures, nationalities or sensibilities. So we let it go and move on.

Listen, you managed to hijack the thread. The tittle has been amended to prevent unintended interpretations. Lets get over it.

Revelation

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:49 pm

dcajet wrote:
Lets get over it.

Good idea! :-)

jetwet1

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:49 pm

I have to admit, with the original title (I think it has changed, I was half asleep when i first saw it) the "happy ending", LH FA thing came to mind and of course the "just another politician caught doing something they shouldn't have been doing" came to mind...

But as an animal lover, I am far happier to see the real story behind the thread title.

AirbusA343

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:30 pm

What a touching story, especially when taking what has been happening over the last month or so into account.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos