Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iamlucky13

Re: Construction of Paine Field passenger terminal begins

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:33 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:
DCA-ROCguy wrote:
H

So far, yes. The terminal developer claims they have promising talks going on with multiple other airlines. Who knows what that really means, but like other posters, I could see Delta being interested, and Allegiant has in the past expressed a desire to flight from PAE.

The crowding at SEA is probably most acute for AS, though, so from that perspective this makes the most sense for them. The last two AS flights I've taken into SEA have deplaned at remote stands, because they're out of gates. They also serve a very large proportion of the Puget Sound business travel market, no shortage of which (probably 1/5th, if not more) is closer to PAE than to SEA.

That's not true. UA actually was the first airline to commit to PAE with 3X daily PAE-SFO and PAE-DEN. AS came in 2nd to announce 18X daily flights. Lastly, WN was the third to announce 5X daily flights. That maxes out the allowable number of flights out of PAE.

Could we see PAE expansion? Maybe...but it will be hard to get that through the NIMBY's.

9 months ago when I wrote that, it was true. Alaska was first, and announced they would serve Paine Field with 9 departures daily, but had not announced destinations.
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-05- ... ld-in-2018

3 months later, United announced they would have 3 flights each to DEN and SFO, as you stated.
http://newsroom.united.com/2017-08-10-U ... cisco-Hubs

Alaska still hadn't announced their destinations at that point. They did that 2 months ago, and increased the plans to 13 departures daily. Southwest followed only about 2 weeks later.

wnflyguy

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:29 am

Anyone have any updated construction pics?
How about any information on when the airlines need to have their finalize proposed schedules for gate management reasons submitted.

Thanks in advance Flyguy

brian415

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:02 am

Are they building any remote stands? Are there any now?

BA

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:24 am

The steel frame is up now so it's taking shape.

Also worth noting is the Swift Green Line which will open next spring will have a stop less than half a mile from the passenger terminal. Should be about a 10 minute walk.

https://www.communitytransit.org/swiftgreen

iamlucky13

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:35 pm

brian415 wrote:
Are they building any remote stands? Are there any now?

None there now or in the currently announced plans.

BA wrote:
Also worth noting is the Swift Green Line which will open next spring will have a stop less than half a mile from the passenger terminal. Should be about a 10 minute walk.

A little over 1/3 of a mile, I think, and even 1/2 mile would be shorter than the 1/4 mile at SeaTac when you consider the terminal size.

That walk also goes right past the Museum of Flight Restoration Center, so perhaps it will help bring a few more visitors in there.

452QX

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:02 am

AS CSA/PSA contract has been awarded to Horizon, ground service contract still in the works with multiple companies bidding for it.

Worth paying attention to if it goes to either Horizon or McGee Air Services

brian415

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:13 am

The latest tally I have is 24 daily flights: https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/southwest-will-join-airlines-flying-everetts-paine-field/

UA - 6 daily departures (split between SFO and DEN)
AS - 13 daily departures (split between 8 destinations)
WN - 5 daily departures (destinations not announced)

How is it possible to get 12 daily turnovers per gate? I believe Love Field gets up to 10 turnovers per day, and that is really getting to the upper limits of gate utilization.

SeaDoo

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:31 am

brian415 wrote:
The latest tally I have is 24 daily flights: https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/southwest-will-join-airlines-flying-everetts-paine-field/

How is it possible to get 12 daily turnovers per gate? I believe Love Field gets up to 10 turnovers per day, and that is really getting to the upper limits of gate utilization.

I believe all the AS departures are E175, so that is at least a smaller plane than WN at DAL. I can't remember for sure, but I thought UA was also not using mainline, but something smaller too.

452QX

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:10 am

SeaDoo wrote:
brian415 wrote:

I believe all the AS departures are E175, so that is at least a smaller plane than WN at DAL. I can't remember for sure, but I thought UA was also not using mainline, but something smaller too.

AS will fly QX E175s, UA will fly OO E175s

brian415

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:49 pm

Does anyone have a back-of-the-envelope calculation for how many daily turns a given gate can have with this type (E175)?

jplatts

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:04 am

brian415 wrote:

WN actually does more than 10 flights per gate per day out of AUS and LAX.

Gate 15 at DAL sees as many as 13 departures a day (with 8 of these being on WN and 5 of these being on DL), and DL even does fly an A320 on one of its 5 daily nonstops between DAL and ATL.

WN is currently doing 125 daily departures out of only 10 gates out of LAX, which comes out to an average of 12.5 departures per gate per day out of LAX. WN has done as many as 14 daily departures per gate per day out of LAX.

dc10lover

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:15 am

I still believe 100% that Airbus & Boeing Aircraft will be needed because of the huge demand. There will be way more demand than just using the Embraer 175.

brian415

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:47 am

Should they order the special jet bridge that boards from front and rear? This is the type of jet bridge that collapsed and bent a United jet's wings at DEN, LOL!

speedbird52

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:00 am

Why on Earth would they?

brian415

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:21 am

speedbird52 wrote:
Why on Earth would they?

Because the gates are already oversubscribed by 50% on "Day One" of airport operations. I believe this is a true statement if you use legacy carriers' barometer for gate utilization. As another poster mentioned, WN is pushing the upper limits (and beyond) of gate utilization, which frankly cannot be matched by legacies UA and AS (or in this case their contract carrier, OO). The legacies have boarding procedures that differ vastly from WN.

One question that I have is whether these dual boarding jet bridges are compatible with E-175s. Obviously, they work with mainline, since UA used them for Ted operations.

I assume these are "common use" gates ... or maybe they aren't, LOL! Does AS get a dedicated gate and partial use of the other gate?

iamlucky13

Thu May 03, 2018 5:15 am

Some national news coverage of the Paine Field terminal:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 546485002/

There's no construction updates in it, but there is a recent picture of the construction at the top of the article, taken from the future apron area

It includes a mix of information that seems to be new from the CEO of the terminal operator, and cost information recently detailed by the local paper here:
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/bond-sal ... about-40m/

freakyrat

Thu May 03, 2018 1:00 pm

I’m sure they will install a CUPPS system with common use gates. It makes things much easier and cost effective for the air carriers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos