• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 14
 
dubaiamman243
Topic Author
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:18 am

As the title says, Bahrain, Egypt and Suadi Arabia have closed their airspace for Qatari traffic
Last edited by qf789 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
 
dubaiamman243
Topic Author
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:21 am

and the UAE too
 
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 3577
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:32 am

Do you have a link/source?
Forum Moderator
 
ahj2000
Posts: 853
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:36 am

Nothing on QRs site abiut this...
I wonder what they are going to do. thats a LOT of their passenger base.

On the other hand, Hamas does need to go. No excuses.
-Andrés Juánez
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 6971
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:36 am

All diplomatic relations have been severed, Bahrain has given Qatari diplomats 48 hours to leave.

This appears to motivated by two separate issues: Qatar's desire to normalise relations with Iran and their support for the Muslim Brotherhood.

There are also unsubstantiated claims that Qatar is providing material support to ISIS and al-Qaeda, but in the absence of specific evidence I feel that might be shooting from the hip and trumping up charges to justify severing relations. We shall see.
Last edited by RyanairGuru on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
dubaiamman243
Topic Author
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:37 am

qf789 wrote:
Do you have a link/source?


http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40155829
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 6971
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:38 am

ahj2000 wrote:
Nothing on QRs site abiut this.

This has literally happened in the last 60 minutes. I would love to be a fly on the wall in their ops centre right now.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
dubaiamman243
Topic Author
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:41 am

QR1024 is currently enroute to DXB. This will come into effect with 24hrs.
 
jetblueguy22
Posts: 2797
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:45 am

dubaiamman243 wrote:
QR1024 is currently enroute to DXB. This will come into effect with 24hrs.

BBC said 48 hrs
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:46 am

QR is in deeeep deeep *crap* right now
ATL BWI BOS CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DTW FLL RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP BNA EWR HVN MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD
 
dubaiamman243
Topic Author
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:48 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
dubaiamman243 wrote:
QR1024 is currently enroute to DXB. This will come into effect with 24hrs.

BBC said 48 hrs


The local UAE news agency says 24hrs
 
User avatar
RoySFlying
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:55 am

Qatari citizens in the region have been given 14 days to leave the country for security and precautionary reasons. All the sea and airports coming and going to Qatar will be closed in 24 hours.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/region/saud ... terrorism-

Which begs the question, if citizens of Qatar have 14 days in which to leave (diplomatic personnel have 48 hours) and the air and sea ports will be closed in 24 hours, how will they do so? By road would require them to enter Saudi Arabia first. By air would require considerable detours through third countries. Can it be that EK will have unrestricted access to DOH while QR is denied access to DXB.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.
 
c933103
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:56 am

different countries have different time limit? There are also some reference to things like interefering Bahrain's internal affair, what waws the story behind? Might be should aask this in non-av board instead
 
User avatar
PerfectGriffin
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:56 am

Damn...this will be disastrous for QR. They fly nearly 30x daily to the UAE alone.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 3626
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:57 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
This appears to motivated by two separate issues: Qatar's desire to normalise relations with Iran and their support for the Muslim Brotherhood.


And that Qatar based Al Jazeera is not afraid to report about the dirty deeds happening in fellow Arab states and has become a major news source for people across the region.

Egypt has arrested Al Jazeera employees and tried to block satellite broadcast while Saudi Arabia has also limited access.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 592
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:57 am

Of U.S. interest... the USN 5th Fleet, including a carrier strike group, and US CENTCOM, is based in Bahrain. So... no shortage of surveillance.
Last edited by WPvsMW on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
RoySFlying
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:58 am

PerfectGriffin wrote:
They fly nearly 30x daily to the UAE alone.
And they are effectively surrounded by the UAE and KSA. Though they can still fly up the Gulf and through Iranian airspace, this represents a serious detour in may instances.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.
 
User avatar
PerfectGriffin
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:01 am

mercure1 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
This appears to motivated by two separate issues: Qatar's desire to normalise relations with Iran and their support for the Muslim Brotherhood.


And that Qatar based Al Jazeera is not afraid to report about the dirty deeds happening in fellow Arab states and has become a major news source for people across the region.

Egypt has arrested Al Jazeera employees and tried to block satellite broadcast while Saudi Arabia has also limited access.


Al Jazeera and links with Iran + Muslim Brotherhood are the real reasons why the other Gulf states are cutting ties. Support for terrorism is just an excuse they are using.
 
C010T3
Posts: 1788
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:20 am

I guess this makes DOH-GRU immediately inviable.
 
rufusmi
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:24 am

The Qatari government better do some quick neogotiating, otherwise it looks like QR is in deep trouble.
 
aircanadaa330
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:28 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:25 am

rufusmi wrote:
The Qatari government better do some quick neogotiating, otherwise it looks like QR is in deep trouble.


Its 1:23am here in Halifax, I'm sure Qatar will have this "fixed" by the time I get to the office for 7am tomorrow
Last edited by aircanadaa330 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers;
 
kaitak
Posts: 9231
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:27 am

Is this just the first step? Qatar is pretty small; they could enforce a complete blockade if they wanted to.

Certainly very bad news for QR - and indeed Qatar itself. It will be interesting to see how they react.
 
User avatar
RL777
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:43 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:28 am

No rest for the wicked tonight at the QR ops center....
 
Varsity1
Posts: 1149
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:28 am

QR is probably the least of their concerns at the moment.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
MoonC
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:26 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:29 am

Well, QR840 DOH-HKT is overflying the UAE right now.
Same for QR827, BKK-DOH.
 
ty97
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:33 am

This tweet (includes a map) talks about routes that will be available to QR in/out of Qatar after the airspace bans take effect.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/ ... 1771894786
 
C010T3
Posts: 1788
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:42 am

ty97 wrote:
This tweet (includes a map) talks about routes that will be available to QR in/out of Qatar after the airspace bans take effect.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/ ... 1771894786


Considering this map, is the Israeli airspace really available?
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:43 am

HOLD ON

I have not seen in reports that KSA and UAE airspace has been closed to Qatari carriers. It has been reported as confirmed that Bahrain and Egypt have. QR won't be "broken" by this, they'll just have to park some planes. Other airlines will have to as well if Qatar retaliates. Qatar itself will be fine unless the world joins in...no one's blocked the Strait of Hormuz...they can still export hydrocarbons.
oh boy, here we go!!!
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:45 am

C010T3 wrote:
ty97 wrote:
This tweet (includes a map) talks about routes that will be available to QR in/out of Qatar after the airspace bans take effect.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/ ... 1771894786


Considering this map, is the Israeli airspace really available?


I'm not aware that Israel allows overflight for any carrier period. Not 100% sure though.
oh boy, here we go!!!
 
MoonC
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:26 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:47 am

QR1321 DOH-LUX is overflying Saudi Arabia.
Other flights are still going over the UAE.
I see no overflight ban.
 
log0008
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:48 am

Pellegrine wrote:
HOLD ON

I have not seen in reports that KSA and UAE airspace has been closed to Qatari carriers. It has been reported as confirmed that Bahrain and Egypt have. QR won't be "broken" by this, they'll just have to park some planes. Other airlines will have to as well if Qatar retaliates. Qatar itself will be fine unless the world joins in...no one's blocked the Strait of Hormuz...they can still export hydrocarbons.


Four Arab countries led by Saudi Arabia cut diplomatic ties with Qatar and moved to close off access to the Gulf country, escalating a crisis that started over its relationship with Iran and its support of the Muslim Brotherhood.

The governments of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt said in statements they will suspend air and sea travel to and from Qatar. Saudi Arabia will shut land crossings with its neighbor, according to the official Saudi Press Agency, potentially depriving the emirate of imports.

Saudi Arabia cited Qatar’s support of “terrorist groups aiming to destabilize the region,” including the Muslim Brotherhood, Islamic State and al-Qaeda. It accused Qatar of supporting “Iranian-backed terrorist groups” operating in the kingdom’s eastern province as well as Bahrain.

Saudi Arabia, along with Bahrain and the U.A.E., gave Qatari diplomats 48 hours to leave.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/arti ... -escalates
 
log0008
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:50 am

MoonC wrote:
QR1321 DOH-LUX is overflying Saudi Arabia.
Other flights are still going over the UAE.
I see no overflight ban.


It not immediate 24-48 hours depending on country
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:53 am

Pellegrine wrote:
HOLD ON

I have not seen in reports that KSA and UAE airspace has been closed to Qatari carriers. It has been reported as confirmed that Bahrain and Egypt have. QR won't be "broken" by this, they'll just have to park some planes. Other airlines will have to as well if Qatar retaliates. Qatar itself will be fine unless the world joins in...no one's blocked the Strait of Hormuz...they can still export hydrocarbons.


I would like to see Qatar retaliate, who are their allies right now,,,,,,,Iran? You do know that Qatar relies on those countries for a lot of their everyday functions, right? For pete's sake their only land connections to the outside world are through those countries!!!
ATL BWI BOS CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DTW FLL RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP BNA EWR HVN MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:01 am

log0008 wrote:
The governments of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt said in statements they will suspend air and sea travel to and from Qatar. Saudi Arabia will shut land crossings with its neighbor, according to the official Saudi Press Agency, potentially depriving the emirate of imports.


Right. Reporting has not been specific on airspace and overflight specifically.
oh boy, here we go!!!
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:05 am

Midwestindy wrote:
I would like to see Qatar retaliate, who are their allies right now,,,,,,,Iran? You do know that Qatar relies on those countries for a lot of their everyday functions, right? For pete's sake their only land connections to the outside world are through those countries!!!


In a crisis such as this they can still conduct im/ex commerce through the Strait of Hormuz...nothing's blocking that. Even if all 4 countries deny overflight, besides the harm from not being able to land in those countries, QR flight plans to the SE and NW can easily be detoured slightly over Iran. They don't have many flights to Africa, and those that do can fly east>gulf>Iran>Oman>southwest to points onward.
oh boy, here we go!!!
 
Adipocere
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:35 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:07 am

What does this mean? Why would their neighbor countries shoot at QR flights that maybe carrying a large number of neutral or Western citizens?
 
ty97
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:09 am

Pellegrine wrote:
log0008 wrote:
The governments of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt said in statements they will suspend air and sea travel to and from Qatar. Saudi Arabia will shut land crossings with its neighbor, according to the official Saudi Press Agency, potentially depriving the emirate of imports.


Right. Reporting has not been specific on airspace and overflight specifically.


Some of the things I've read have been specific about overflight but I've read through a lot in the past hour or so and can't pinpoint where. Also, as this is breaking news, details are always subject to revision.
 
jmc1975
Posts: 2936
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:57 am

Future of QR after diplomatic cuts?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:09 am

With the new announcement of UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Egypt severing diplomatic ties with Qatar, how will this effect the viability of Qatar Airways going forward? How will this effect ME3 in general?
.......
 
jacobchoi
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:32 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:09 am

I'm flying from London to Hong Kong via Doha on the 22/06. Do you think it is wise to rebook and/or will there be serious delays and implications etc?
 
cuban8
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:10 am

Who is looking forward to a statement from Al Baker. For once he has a reason to complain.....
When business goes to hell, you get rid of three things. Your private jet, your yacht and your mistress..........and most importantly in that order.
~ Russian Billionaire ~
 
User avatar
RL777
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:43 am

Re: Future of QR after diplomatic cuts?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:11 am

jmc1975 wrote:
With the new announcement of UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Egypt severing diplomatic ties with Qatar, how will this effect the viability of Qatar Airways going forward? How will this effect ME3 in general?


I think we should let this play out a bit more before speculating, too many missing details to make a reasonable prediction.
 
ty97
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:12 am

A spokesman for Abu Dhabi airline Etihad Airways said the airline would suspend flights to and from Qatar from Tuesday morning.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/04/saudi-ar ... qatar.html
 
ty97
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: Future of QR after diplomatic cuts?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:15 am

RL777 wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:
With the new announcement of UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Egypt severing diplomatic ties with Qatar, how will this effect the viability of Qatar Airways going forward? How will this effect ME3 in general?


I think we should let this play out a bit more before speculating, too many missing details to make a reasonable prediction.


Agreed, more details needed first. (I mean folks can speculate all they want, but we're short on details)
 
ahj2000
Posts: 853
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:19 am

jacobchoi wrote:
I'm flying from London to Hong Kong via Doha on the 22/06. Do you think it is wise to rebook and/or will there be serious delays and implications etc?

I'd wait until tomorrow. AAB et al will have something to say and probably have a way to figure out who and what will be involved in any changes.
I think the probability is that they will be able to do Europe/US-Asia/India/Oz just fine.
África and South America will have a big detour tho most likely-itll be interesting to see what happens
-Andrés Juánez
 
turjo101
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:44 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:26 am

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 35740.html

Seems like GCC is fracturing with Qatar on one side with possibly Kuwait joining them shortly. and UAE, Bahrain and KSA on the other side. I'm sure in terms of aviation, this is going to have tremendous repercussion.

but did anyone else see this coming? Politically? Didn't they just have a big family gathering with Trump at the head of the table?
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:28 am

Pellegrine wrote:
C010T3 wrote:
ty97 wrote:
This tweet (includes a map) talks about routes that will be available to QR in/out of Qatar after the airspace bans take effect.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/ ... 1771894786


Considering this map, is the Israeli airspace really available?


I'm not aware that Israel allows overflight for any carrier period. Not 100% sure though.


I have to correct myself. Israel does not permit GA overflights. For commercial scheduled carriers, they're allowed if the country the a/c is registered in is party to IASTA, or where the relevant Israeli bilateral allows it. Non-scheduled commercial is similar, but the country of registration has to either be party to the Chicago Convention or have diplomatic ties with the State of Israel.

http://en.caa.gov.il/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=271 It's under "GEN 1.2".
oh boy, here we go!!!
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:30 am

Pellegrine wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
I would like to see Qatar retaliate, who are their allies right now,,,,,,,Iran? You do know that Qatar relies on those countries for a lot of their everyday functions, right? For pete's sake their only land connections to the outside world are through those countries!!!


In a crisis such as this they can still conduct im/ex commerce through the Strait of Hormuz...nothing's blocking that. Even if all 4 countries deny overflight, besides the harm from not being able to land in those countries, QR flight plans to the SE and NW can easily be detoured slightly over Iran. They don't have many flights to Africa, and those that do can fly east>gulf>Iran>Oman>southwest to points onward.


I don't know why you are so focussed on the Strait, only so much of a countries imports and exports are transported on water.... Qatar is a tiny country that relies on everyone else for everything (I would know I have had work there on numerous occasions), they have absolutely no power in this situation, it would be wise for them to step down before Saudi Arabia brings the big boys into play (US, Japan, UK, China). QR flight plans are probably the least of their concerns right now!
ATL BWI BOS CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DTW FLL RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP BNA EWR HVN MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD
 
Armodeen
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:32 am

jacobchoi wrote:
I'm flying from London to Hong Kong via Doha on the 22/06. Do you think it is wise to rebook and/or will there be serious delays and implications etc?


Your flights are likely unaffected unless turkey joins (unlikely). If anything Doha will be less busy and you are more likely to be on time/have a pleasant trip!
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:35 am

Midwestindy wrote:
I don't know why you are so focussed on the Strait, only so much of a countries imports and exports are transported on water.... Qatar is a tiny country that relies on everyone else for everything (I would know I have had work there on numerous occasions), they have absolutely no power in this situation, it would be wise for them to step down before Saudi Arabia brings the big boys into play (US, Japan, UK, China). QR flight plans are probably the least of their concerns right now!


Qatar has more power than you give them. KSA can't just shut the country down is my point. You can always find another supplier for necessities, inconvenience being time and cost. The "big boys" as you call them aren't going to get involved in a regional diplomatic squabble, besides encouraging them to play nice, unless these terror allegations are proven with hard evidence.
oh boy, here we go!!!
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 14

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos