Great Southern Land

Thankfully vegemite didn't make the cut

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ad ... 7df97c9f78

There's a dedicated thread to this as well, refer to link below

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1366283

RyanairGuru

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Where's KSA? I doubt you meant the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

The SIN operation is dead, buried and cremated. They could terminate the EK agreement today and it still won't come back. DXB and/or PER is the future.

Sydscott

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:06 pm

jwoww wrote:
Sydscott wrote:
jwoww wrote:

I do still work for them, and the A321 will be doing that route, but it doesn't mean that there will be new aircraft added to the fleet. Its called changing your aircraft routes.

So the bit where you said "the A321's only do routes along the East Coast" is incorrect. They'll be doing routes to PER and International service from PER which is logical given what's happened to VA's DPS service. An A321 being redeployed from where it is currently flying in order to do this is called "changing your aircraft routes and timing". Neither of which precludes Jetstar wanting or getting more to take advantage of further such changing of aircraft routes.

Qantas16 wrote:
Not going to happen unless the EK/QF partnership ends. "All those disgruntled passengers from Sydney who for some reason detest DXB" is a very small group, contrary to what some members on here would lead you to believe. Also, unless QF launches AKL-SIN direct, it's always going to be at a disadvantage to the many carriers that can offer one-stop AKL-Europe, so yields on that segment would be low. BNE is fine served by EK for the time being or on partner carriers ex-SIN/HKG.

Not to mention Jetstar tried and failed on AKL-SIN. No need to repeat a failed experiment. And for the "disgruntled" pax who don't like DXB there are plenty of other Oneworld options through KUL, HKG or NRT to get to Europe plus they'll be able to overfly DXB on PER-LHR direct if they want to.

I don't think your understanding the part where it says that they only do routes along the East Coast, which means if you were to look at the routes they are flying right now, you will see they service the East Coast of Australia. I did not say that they WILL ONLY do routes along the East Coast. Maybe you should read the whole sentence properly and figure out that I'm not denying that they can be moving to service Perth; I know full well what aircrafts will do which routes.

If you paid attention to what i said i said that they won't be ordering A321's for the Perth flights. And when you change your aircraft routes you free up availability on your aircraft so they can be better utilised, which means that flights that are normally operated on A321 will be changed so they can use the A320 and not have aircraft sitting around not earning money. Its a very simple concept i thought.

Let me break this down for you:

You said - Considering i work for the airline and i know what things are coming in the next 18 months, i'd be pretty sure. Besides the A321's only do routes along the East Coast and are based in Sydney and Melbourne.

Fact - A321's fly MEL-PER and are going to do PER-DPS. So while being Sydney and Melbourne based they aren't just doing routes only the East Coast.

You said - I do still work for them, and the A321 will be doing that route, but it doesn't mean that there will be new aircraft added to the fleet. Its called changing your aircraft routes.

Fact - That statement doesn't make your previous one about A321 routes any less incorrect.

You said - I don't think your understanding the part where it says that they only do routes along the East Coast, which means if you were to look at the routes they are flying right now, you will see they service the East Coast of Australia.

Fact - That's still incorrect. They do MEL-PER.

You said - I did not say that they WILL ONLY do routes along the East Coast.

Fact - What you said is quoted in full above. There was no qualification in what you said previously.

You said - Maybe you should read the whole sentence properly and figure out that I'm not denying that they can be moving to service Perth; I know full well what aircrafts will do which routes.

Fact - If you are in possession of sensitive and commercial information of your employer then posting it on a forum like this is very bad for your potential future career. As others have pointed out. When invited to clarify your remarks, which are quoted in full above, you haven't.

You said - If you paid attention to what i said i said that they won't be ordering A321's for the Perth flights.

Fact - You said nothing of the sort. Your remarks are quoted in full above and at no time did you say that.

You said - And when you change your aircraft routes you free up availability on your aircraft so they can be better utilised, which means that flights that are normally operated on A321 will be changed so they can use the A320 and not have aircraft sitting around not earning money. Its a very simple concept i thought.

Fact - We all get the concept but that doesn't make what you've previously said any less incorrect.

TN486 wrote:
I am fully expecting to see the JQ group order more A321's, sooner rather than later. (albeit I don't have any inside info). It's just a hunch!!

Half of the A320NEO order is for A321NEO's. So QF group already has them on order, it's just a question of where they will be placed.

325i

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:54 pm

To Ryanairguru, KSA. Kingsford Smith Airport , Sydney,New South Wales ,Australia.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:02 am

HU planning 2 weekly PEK-BNE service later this year

https://www.ausbt.com.au/hainan-airline ... ng-flights

Sydscott

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:21 am

qf789 wrote:

I was wondering if Hainan would beat Air China to the punch and do this especially given the Virgin relationship. A good strategic move which hopefully works for them.

a320fan

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:05 am

325i wrote:
To Ryanairguru, KSA. Kingsford Smith Airport , Sydney,New South Wales ,Australia.

I see you are quite new here. In the future try to use the proper IATA codes for airports, such as SYD in this example. It will minimise confusion for all of us.

On the JQ A321s, I'm sure they could easily absorb many more than currently placed, imagine if 50% + of the fleet were 321s, with A320s kept for the thinner markets and limited feilds, everything else 321. 230 seats will give a great cost advantage and revenue potential, add to that a culture of being prepared and organised and I'm sure turn times can be made a non issue. I've seen JQ turn decently full A320s in 20 minutes, 35 should be possible on a 321. Especially with palletised loads.

RoySFlying

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:14 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Where's KSA? I doubt you meant the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

I guessed that it would be Kingsford Smith Airport (more commonly SYD) rather than Kosrae, Federated States of Micronesia (KSA). :)

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:17 am

Schedule for HU PEK-BNE

HU411 2235 PEK-BNE 930+1 332 Wed, Sun
HU412 1130 BNE-PEK 1840 332 Mon, Thu

First service scheduled for 20 September 2017 ex PEK

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:30 am

Qantas press release on 787 names

Alan Joyce has said that the number of worthwhile entries they could rename the whole QF fleet

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... -revealed/

smi0006

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:15 am

[twoid][/twoid]
Sydscott wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I was wondering if Hainan would beat Air China to the punch and do this especially given the Virgin relationship. A good strategic move which hopefully works for them.

Will be very interesting to see what happens once the one carrier one route system is dismantled hub CAAC.

We can see how it impacts CA now that CZ are Launching Shenzhen Melbourne, CA have cancelled the route after only a month or so.

Qantas16

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:44 am

qf789 wrote:
Schedule for HU PEK-BNE

Great, another carrier for the morning rush... as if there wasn't a shortage of gates already. Those new gates will be basically fully utilised once they are finished later this year (or next?). Great news for BNE though.

eamondzhang

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:36 am

smi0006 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Sydscott wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Will be very interesting to see what happens once the one carrier one route system is dismantled hub CAAC.

We can see how it impacts CA now that CZ are Launching Shenzhen Melbourne, CA have cancelled the route after only a month or so.

CA is discontinuing SZX service due to the local subsidies that went to CZ since they launched the route first (even though CA's flight entered the system first).

It's basically a subsidy game, who gets the subsidy flies the route. Same applies to just about any intercontinental flights depart from Mainland China, other than PEK, PVG and CAN.

qf2220

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:39 pm

qf789 wrote:
Alan Joyce has said that the number of worthwhile entries they could rename the whole QF fleet

Please don't....

Qantas16

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:33 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Schedule for HU PEK-BNE

Great, another carrier for the morning rush... as if there wasn't a shortage of gates already. Those new gates will be basically fully utilised once they are finished later this year (or next?). Great news for BNE though.

Airlineroute is reporting that it was a filing error and will actually be BNE-SZX not PEK. Given the flight times in that schedule, this would make more sense. So BNE-SZX, not BNE-PEK.

Hopefully CA's announcement of BNE-PEK won't be far away!

log0008

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:45 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Schedule for HU PEK-BNE

Airlineroute is reporting that it was a filing error and will actually be BNE-SZX not PEK. Given the flight times in that schedule, this would make more sense. So BNE-SZX, not BNE-PEK.

Sounds like a CA announcement is not to far way, starting OCT

325i

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:28 am

To a320 fan, I am suitably chastised! As the subject matter is of an Australian content I naturally assumed that my use of the airport code would not be an unknown factor. In future I will, when required use SYD to identify the point of origin. Thank you again for correcting my error .

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:47 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Schedule for HU PEK-BNE

Thanks for the update, story has been updated

Sydscott

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:40 am

qf789 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

I get that these are subsidised routes but is there actually a market for BNE-SZX? I know that Hainan would be consolidating tour groups etc to make it work but you've got to wonder if BNE-SZX is worthwhile vs VA launching BNE-HKG?

Qantas16

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:13 am

Sydscott wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

I get that these are subsidised routes but is there actually a market for BNE-SZX? I know that Hainan would be consolidating tour groups etc to make it work but you've got to wonder if BNE-SZX is worthwhile vs VA launching BNE-HKG?

Unsure why it's vs VA launching BNE-HKG? Unless HU gives VA the aircraft, VA doesn't currently have the space aircraft to launch the route. As to whether there is demand BNE-SZX... who knows... but market demand certainly hasn't restricted the growth of Chinese carriers in SYD and MEL to destinations that are unlikely to make profit.

Sydscott

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:24 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Sydscott wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Unsure why it's vs VA launching BNE-HKG? Unless HU gives VA the aircraft, VA doesn't currently have the space aircraft to launch the route. As to whether there is demand BNE-SZX... who knows... but market demand certainly hasn't restricted the growth of Chinese carriers in SYD and MEL to destinations that are unlikely to make profit.

From the Hong Kong end, the bilateral is maxed out. So no Hong Kong Carriers could presently launch new or additional service to BNE. From the Australian side there is plenty of room for VA to launch services subject to slots at HKG.

smi0006

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:22 am

Sydscott wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
Sydscott wrote:

From the Hong Kong end, the bilateral is maxed out. So no Hong Kong Carriers could presently launch new or additional service to BNE. From the Australian side there is plenty of room for VA to launch services subject to slots at HKG.

Slots will be the tricky bit. As we can see from VA scheduled ex-MEL regular daily slots are a challenge. I'm yet to be convinced such irregular timings will appeal to the business traveler, but I could be wrong.

Qantas16

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:25 am

Sydscott wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
Sydscott wrote:

I understand that, but no reason HU SZX and VA HKG flights couldn't operate together, they serve different markets even if they are geographically close.

Sydscott

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:06 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Sydscott wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

I understand that, but no reason HU SZX and VA HKG flights couldn't operate together, they serve different markets even if they are geographically close.

Very true. Hence my questioning of what sort of market exists between, and beyond, SZX for HU. It'll be interesting to see as the secondary China routes somewhat appear to be throwing darts at a board to see what sticks.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:11 am

Qantas to use FF to be monitored as part of a pioneering study into passenger health and well being

QANTAS is looking for frequent flyers willing to allow wearable technology to monitor their biorhythms as part of a pioneering study into airline passenger health that is already being used to design a new in-flight menu.

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/1311 ... sign-lunch

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... rtnership/

timtam

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:58 am

Jetstar Hong Kong......turning in its grave?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6049cc16e4

Qantas16

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:11 am

timtam wrote:

Good, I firmly believe Jetstar Hong Kong would be a great business idea provided they can set it up legally (lets not reopen that debate!). Whilst I think JQ in Australia is probably near the limits of its expansion without cannibalising on QF market, I think their is significant growth opportunities in all the other JQ franchises and would love to see more aggressive expansion, particularly with some 787s

downdata

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:20 am

timtam wrote:

I see CX leave OW for * if this happens

Qantas16

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:22 am

downdata wrote:
timtam wrote:

So they can join SQ, TG and every other airline in the region? Doesn't hold as much benefit. CX has good relationships with OW members outside of QF and I dont think they'd give that up because of a LCC.

qf002

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:27 am

downdata wrote:

Not in a million years. All that would do is open the door for Jetstar to establish themselves as their OW replacement, picking up hundreds (if not thousands) of connecting passengers each day as well as a good chunk of locally based traffic.

EK413

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:44 am

Any idea why -OEG operated a Tasman service today?

Flight QF144 from Auckland to Sydney
https://fr24.com/QFA144/dd4a960

EK413

ZK-NBT

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

EK413 wrote:
Any idea why -OEG operated a Tasman service today?

Flight QF144 from Auckland to Sydney
https://fr24.com/QFA144/dd4a960

EK413

British and Irish Lions rugby capacity they are in NZ. Few more over the coming weeks and some A330's aswell.

luftaom

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:59 pm

waoz1 wrote:
Malaysia Airlines cuts Darwin-Kuala Lumpur
Last flight 27th July

August is peak tourist season in Darwin - if they were ever going to fill the planes it would be in August - so I think that their decision to cut it at the end of July is instructive.

I'm surprised that it has lasted this long. The heady days of 2013 and 2014 for the Darwin economy are long gone...

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:58 pm

timtam wrote:

Yes, it will all be about timing.

...and if Jetstar Hong Kong does emerge from the grave, the focus will be based growing the Hong Kong economy on emerging aviation markets rather than maintaining the protectionist status quo.

tullamarine

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:00 am

travelhound wrote:
timtam wrote:

Yes, it will all be about timing.

...and if Jetstar Hong Kong does emerge from the grave, the focus will be based growing the Hong Kong economy on emerging aviation markets rather than maintaining the protectionist status quo.

There are significant barriers to entry for Jetstar Hong Kong. Apart from limited slots, the politically very well connected HK Express has emerged in the intervening years and occupied much of the market that Jetstar would've been after.

waoz1

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:55 am

AirAsia A330 flight returns to Perth after technical mid flight this morning.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... bdf59bc632

log0008

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:56 am

OD expected to launch KUL-MEL 4x weekly A333 from OCTOBER, expect late arrival with departure after midnight.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:46 am

waoz1 wrote:

Apparently due to an engine issue, one passenger is quoted as saying the aircraft was shaking like a washing machine

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... spartanntp

waoz1

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:54 am

qf789 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

Apparently due to an engine issue, one passenger is quoted as saying the aircraft was shaking like a washing machine

Potential WATER LANDING?
Reading the article sounds like they were lucky it wasnt more.

waoz1

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:50 am

qf789 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

Definitely a washing machine
Link shows on board footage of the flight, looks like a spin rather than a rinse.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-25/a ... ue/8649990

luftaom

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:11 am

In the Australian government monthly traffic and capacity stats for March 2017 - https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoi ... y_1703.pdf on page 11 (numbers printed at the bottom of the pages of the document) they have the monthly traffic.

Flights - inbound 8077 outbound 8078
Aircraft movements - inbound 8219 outbound 8220 (presumably this accounts for aircraft ferrying empty, positioning for charters etc etc)

(so only one more aircraft going out during the month than came in - plenty of easy explanations for that - the easiest one is that there was an extra departure by an Australian airline late in the evening on the last day of the month which didn't return until the next day (just as an example))

but then look at the available seats

inbound 2,134,362
outbound 2,140,295

That's almost 6000 more outbound seats than inbound. Given that there was only 1 extra outbound flight (so even if that were an A380 were talking max 480 seats) - I can't for the life of me reconcile this. Any thoughts?

ZK-NBT

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:00 am

QF8 DFW-SYD quite likely, I don't think they ever sell more than 355 seats where they sell all 484 on QF7 SYD-DFW.

That's my thought.

luftaom

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:28 am

Aha - that's a very good thought - I'd forgotten about that. That would account for a 4000 seat a month difference.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:31 am

Qatar plans to go ahead with CBR flights planned for next year despite diplomatic crisis in the Middle East

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... wukqn.html

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:35 am

AirAsia X eyes return to ADL, BME also on the cards as well

http://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-n ... e01b20420b

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:42 am

Story on how the future 797 could open more routes up from PER

https://thewest.com.au/travel/air-aviat ... b88516078z

tullamarine

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:14 pm

qf789 wrote:

This is not a great article.

The 7J7 was never proposed to be the same size as the MoM aircraft. The 7J7 was an unducted fan aircraft basically the same size as a 717 and looking very similar except for the different engines.

It also pre-supposes cabin cross-sections of a 2-3-2 configuration whereas Boeing has only been very vague about the cross-sections with statements such as“widebody comfort” with “single-aisle economics” whatever that means.

VirginFlyer

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:19 am

tullamarine wrote:
qf789 wrote:

This is not a great article.

The 7J7 was never proposed to be the same size as the MoM aircraft. The 7J7 was an unducted fan aircraft basically the same size as a 717 and looking very similar except for the different engines.

It also pre-supposes cabin cross-sections of a 2-3-2 configuration whereas Boeing has only been very vague about the cross-sections with statements such as“widebody comfort” with “single-aisle economics” whatever that means.

I often wonder if Geoffrey Thomas is a member of this forum...

V/F

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:19 am

VA ombudsman complaints jump ahead of JQ for 2016

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation ... wyli9.html

smi0006

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:20 am

qf789 wrote:
VA ombudsman complaints jump ahead of JQ for 2016

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation ... wyli9.html

This would have been a better measure of airline satisfaction than the poor survey completed which ignored TT...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos