Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

crownvic
Topic Author

Silver Airways SAAB 340 mishap MCO

Sat May 27, 2017 12:19 pm

I just came across a Silver Wings SAAB 340 at MCO that had a taxing accident last night.. According to an airport worker he told me that the SAAB was crossing over the taxiway bridge when another passenger aircraft was coming at it head on from other direction and the SAAB pilot swerved off the taxiway and down a steep embankment .. Looks to be imbedded deep in mud and grass.. I took photos but can't upload them here.. I can email them to someone to post..Not sure if it's a writeoff
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sat May 27, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

jetmatt777

Re: Silver Wings SAAB 340 mishap MCO

Sat May 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Wouldn't a safer alternative to going off an embankment be to stop and flash your landing lights at the oncoming traffic?

Spacepope

Sat May 27, 2017 2:15 pm

Do you have a registration for the incident aircraft?

Polot

Sat May 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Minor nitpick but the airline is Silver Airways. Silver Wings is just its call sign.

readytotaxi

Sat May 27, 2017 2:20 pm

Nothing on AVHerald.

DTWLUVER

Sat May 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Someone in the tower effed up big time here! Wonder if both Pilots had the same frequency on? Or listening to ATC instructions or following them properly? of course humans are failiable . This could have been a lot worse .Or a new TV reality show Off Road Airplane Hot Rods.

crownvic
Topic Author

Sat May 27, 2017 3:19 pm

I can't post pics .. I can email to someone

mtnwest1979

Sat May 27, 2017 3:54 pm

DTWLUVER wrote:
Someone in the tower effed up big time here! Wonder if both Pilots had the same frequency on? Or listening to ATC instructions or following them properly? of course humans are failiable . This could have been a lot worse .Or a new TV reality show Off Road Airplane Hot Rods.

If true, who is to say that one of the pilots didn't screw up? That ,to me, seems more likely.

DTWLUVER

Sat May 27, 2017 4:15 pm

mtnwest1979 wrote:
DTWLUVER wrote:

If true, who is to say that one of the pilots didn't screw up? That ,to me, seems more likely.

At least the SF-3 pilot had the forethought to get the heck out of the way of the other plane. Going to be interesting to get the readout timeline for 10 minutes before and 2 minutes afterwards. This could have ended alot worse that is for sure! anyways amen for that pilot for taking evasive actions to save lives.

MesaFlyGuy

Sat May 27, 2017 4:40 pm

DTWLUVER wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:
DTWLUVER wrote:

At least the SF-3 pilot had the forethought to get the heck out of the way of the other plane. Going to be interesting to get the readout timeline for 10 minutes before and 2 minutes afterwards. This could have ended alot worse that is for sure! anyways amen for that pilot for taking evasive actions to save lives.

Both planes were taxiing on the same taxiway. Let's not get too carried away; I seriously doubt lives were ever at stake. Aircraft themselves, yes.

FlyinRabbit88

Sat May 27, 2017 4:56 pm

(Take it for what it's worth) From my friend who works at Mco:
Last night when Silver came in the pilot was complaining about hydraulic problems and then maintenance took over and was taking it to the hanger when the hydraulics completely went out and nose gear quickly turned all the way left and plane went right off the hill.

CriticalPoint

Sat May 27, 2017 6:29 pm

DTWLUVER wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:
DTWLUVER wrote:

You don't just swerve off a taxiway you just stop. If a pilot swerved off a taxiway down a hill he should be fired.

I believe the poster that said this was a MX issue. That's the only thing that makes sense.

crownvic
Topic Author

Sat May 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Registration ends in xj

kjeld0d

Sat May 27, 2017 7:02 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Nothing on AVHerald.

If its not on AVHerald it doesn't exist! Have sent that guy actual crash pics before, he refuses to acknowledge some incidents for some reason.

FredrikHAD

Sat May 27, 2017 7:21 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:
Nothing on AVHerald.

If its not on AVHerald it doesn't exist! Have sent that guy actual crash pics before, he refuses to acknowledge some incidents for some reason.

AVH Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What incidents and accidents does The Aviation Herald report?

The Aviation Herald concentrates on "Air Transport", meaning in general The Aviation Herald will report only about commercial flights or commercial operators involving airplanes with 19 passenger seats or more. Incidents will be reported only during active flights from entering the takeoff runway to leaving the landing runway, other incidents at the gate or during taxi are summarily dismissed. Accidents involving commercial flights with 19 or more seats are reported as soon as The Aviation Herald gets to know about them.

If this was indeed an MX taxi, it doesn't qualify for AVH for several reasons.

/Fredrik

kjeld0d

Sat May 27, 2017 7:59 pm

FredrikHAD wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:
Nothing on AVHerald.

AVH Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What incidents and accidents does The Aviation Herald report?

The Aviation Herald concentrates on "Air Transport", meaning in general The Aviation Herald will report only about commercial flights or commercial operators involving airplanes with 19 passenger seats or more. Incidents will be reported only during active flights from entering the takeoff runway to leaving the landing runway, other incidents at the gate or during taxi are summarily dismissed. Accidents involving commercial flights with 19 or more seats are reported as soon as The Aviation Herald gets to know about them.

If this was indeed an MX taxi, it doesn't qualify for AVH for several reasons.

/Fredrik

An incident I reported fell within these specs. It was supported by a local news article. Statements on websites and actual behaviour are two different things. I guess we are all human.

b747400erf

Sat May 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Too bad the liveatc MCO feed has been offline for 3 days.

crownvic
Topic Author

Sat May 27, 2017 9:18 pm

I now have photos and videos of the removal by crane..just cant post!

atcsundevil

Sat May 27, 2017 10:17 pm

DTWLUVER wrote:
Someone in the tower effed up big time here!

That's a big jump to conclusions. If the incident was at night, then more than likely one of the aircraft turned onto the wrong taxiway. It happens very frequently when pilots are new to the airport, especially if the signage or lighting is poor. It's rare that a common, easy mistake like that would happen with this level of dramatic effect. Ground controllers, on the other hand, issue the same set of taxi instructions over and over, day in and day out, because they're patterned and very often extremely repetitive. It's far more likely somebody took a wrong turn than a controller giving incorrect or conflicting taxi instructions. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but you've made a very big conclusion.

FlyinRabbit88

Re: Silver Airways SAAB 340 mishap MCO

Sat May 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Omg.... it wasn't a pilot who accidently turned on the wrong taxiway. It was a mechanical issue(s) that caused the plane to lose steering/control as it was taxiing. Gotta love the posts jumping to conclusions.

DTWLUVER

Sat May 27, 2017 10:42 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
DTWLUVER wrote:
Someone in the tower effed up big time here!

That's a big jump to conclusions. If the incident was at night, then more than likely one of the aircraft turned onto the wrong taxiway. It happens very frequently when pilots are new to the airport, especially if the signage or lighting is poor. It's rare that a common, easy mistake like that would happen with this level of dramatic effect. Ground controllers, on the other hand, issue the same set of taxi instructions over and over, day in and day out, because they're patterned and very often extremely repetitive. It's far more likely somebody took a wrong turn than a controller giving incorrect or conflicting taxi instructions. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but you've made a very big conclusion.

Okay lets get this out in front first. My post was in no way being hateful of ATC folks and if I offended ATC folks I m Sorry . I did see the maintenance issue after the fact of the first post so lets put that issue to bed now . I do believe that under situations such as this you look at all factors before you discount them . Now since its a Maintenance issue I will discount the ATC on this and will place efforts in on Airline Maintenance & records. So rest easy ..

atcsundevil

Sat May 27, 2017 11:56 pm

FlyinRabbit88 wrote:
Omg.... it wasn't a pilot who accidently turned on the wrong taxiway. It was a mechanical issue(s) that caused the plane to lose steering/control as it was taxiing. Gotta love the posts jumping to conclusions.

I haven't seen confirmation of a maintenance issue, so unless you have, Occam's Razor points to the simplest issue usually being the correct one: human error. My post was speculation based on experience. I wasn't attempting to knock pilots or even the airport; mistakes happen and they're usually resolved in a very simple manner. I'm not saying it wasn't a maintenance issue, just that a "take it from my friend..." post is hardly confirmation of fact. Apparently you have already jumped to that conclusion based on incomplete evidence, however, because I've seen no report as such.

Dazed767

Sun May 28, 2017 3:21 am

Also heard it was hydraulics failure.

Spacepope

Sun May 28, 2017 1:44 pm

OK here are the photos from crownvic. Let's see this Flickr thing work! All photos are his. https://flic.kr/s/aHskXfbt2M

crownvic
Topic Author

Sun May 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Thank you for posting pics. When I first came upon this incident at about 7a.m. there was no one around except a Greater Orlando Aviation Authority pick up truck. I asked the driver if he knew what happened and he said it had happened the previous evening. He had heard that the Silver pilot had to do an evasive maneuver to avoid an oncoming jet on the same taxiway. I thought that was of good authority so I posted his comments. This obviously was not the case and I apologize for the early false information and the issues it led up to. Now it is confirmed that the aircraft had a hydraulic failure and veered off and down the embankment. Now the question is did it occur while under power to the maintenance area? or under tow...I don't see it occurring right after a flight with passengers on board or that would have been a over sensationalized plane crash at Orlando big news story LOL

I did not see any visible damage to gear or props, but who knows it could be a writeoff if the fuselage took a hit...

CanesFan

Sun May 28, 2017 2:11 pm

It would have happened while under its own power. If it were under tow, there's no reason it would have swerved off of the taxiway. Proper towing preceedure involves deactivating the nose wheel steering.

CALTECH

Sun May 28, 2017 2:34 pm

CanesFan wrote:
It would have happened while under its own power. If it were under tow, there's no reason it would have swerved off of the taxiway. Proper towing preceedure involves deactivating the nose wheel steering.

Exactly. Something is not right here. Hydraulics would be needed for Brakes, but the steering is bypassed for towing. Swerving off the taxiway might be they were going too fast on the overpass taxiway and the plane was too much for the tractor/tug. MX Taxi, well.....Try to find out more info....

http://docplayer.net/32399805-Saab-340- ... dures.html

FlyinRabbit88

Sun May 28, 2017 6:13 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
FlyinRabbit88 wrote:

I haven't seen confirmation of a maintenance issue, so unless you have, Occam's Razor points to the simplest issue usually being the correct one: human error. My post was speculation based on experience. I wasn't attempting to knock pilots or even the airport; mistakes happen and they're usually resolved in a very simple manner. I'm not saying it wasn't a maintenance issue, just that a "take it from my friend..." post is hardly confirmation of fact. Apparently you have already jumped to that conclusion based on incomplete evidence, however, because I've seen no report as such.

You were saying ;) . Like you said, sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one.... mechanical issue on the way back to the mx hangar. Until it pops up on the NTSB database it an official statement from Silver comes out its all speculative.

But hey it's an aviation forum.... we love our rumors and speculations that feed our information needs.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos