Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DocLightning

Re: POLITICO: Laptop Ban "Imminent". Asia Too?

Sat May 27, 2017 8:14 pm

The purpose of this ban cannot possibly be security. The flaws in that argument are beyond obvious. A bomb in the hold (or a lithium ion battery fire in the hold) is just as bad if not worse than the same in the cabin. The purpose must be to make travel to the USA more inconvenient. The result will be a gradual loss of business travel and thus business investment in the U.S. by foreign businesses as the cost of doing business in the U.S. rises over and over again in bits and pieces. An unreasonable regulation here, a tariff there, etc. etc. etc.

What I can't fathom is why a President would want to do this. Actually, I have my theories but I'll leave them to non-Av.

LAXintl

Sat May 27, 2017 8:22 pm

DocLightning wrote:
The purpose of this ban cannot possibly be security. The flaws in that argument are beyond obvious. A bomb in the hold (or a lithium ion battery fire in the hold) is just as bad if not worse than the same in the cabin.

The threat danger is largely negated by moving devices away from the cabin.
Wont get into specifics of what has been ongoing the last few months, but whole point is to remove passenger access to larger devices. This is not an issue about resultant potential explosive is the hold.

mjoelnir

Sat May 27, 2017 8:36 pm

LAXintl wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
The purpose of this ban cannot possibly be security. The flaws in that argument are beyond obvious. A bomb in the hold (or a lithium ion battery fire in the hold) is just as bad if not worse than the same in the cabin.

Wont get into specifics of what has been ongoing the last few months, but whole point is to remove passenger access to larger devices. This is not an issue about resultant potential explosive is the hold.

Nonsens, just look at the implementation of the ban, who gets hit by it, airports in Egypt for example, where a bomb has been smuggled on an airplane? It is a political motivated safety theater, nothing else.

Siren

Sat May 27, 2017 9:12 pm

Chemist wrote:
I am about to buy tickets from USA to Europe for late summer. Due to the uncertainty over this, and the fact that a major purpose of the trip is photography, I'm going to have to book my wife and myself via Canada stopover in the hope that I can then fly with my equipment. I can't buy now and assume nothing will change over the next few months.

The idiots in Washington are costing me money, and giving Canada some extra business.

I was thinking this might be a good way to get around it: travel internationally via Canada or Mexico. Book a flight to Toronto or Vancouver then book to the final destination. Will probably be a good bit more expensive than flying direct from LAX, but at least it's cheaper than replacing the laptop...

AngMoh

Sun May 28, 2017 2:54 pm

The latest is that US is considering a laptop ban for all international flights, but in as well as out of the US.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wor ... ts-8890618

Domestic flights seem to be off the map, but I don't see how you make a difference between international flight out of the US and a domestic flight as in many airports there is no separation of the two.

enilria

Sun May 28, 2017 4:02 pm

AngMoh wrote:
Domestic flights seem to be off the map, but I don't see how you make a difference between international flight out of the US and a domestic flight as in many airports there is no separation of the two.

Agreed. I don't really understand why something like that couldn't be created anywhere.

LAXintl wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

I saw media coverage saying that the laptops in the cabin would allow "remote detonation". That doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of it because a phone could allow that as well. I think it's possible what this means is that the passenger doesn't know they have a laptop with a bomb in it and when they sign into wifi on the plane it is remotely detonated by a hacker. As opposed to being in the hold not connected to the internet.

Having said all of that, that doesn't make that much sense since a timer can accomplish pretty much the same effect and not require nearly the complexity and the FAA/DOT could more easily just ban wifi.
Last edited by enilria on Sun May 28, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theseus

Sun May 28, 2017 4:03 pm

AngMoh wrote:
The latest is that US is considering a laptop ban for all international flights, but in as well as out of the US.

I am not very surprised they did not completely give up.
I cannot really stand this situation where (1) we do not know exactly where things are going and (2) it is not clear any acceptable solution will be proposed (such as a decent insurance on laptops, tablets and cameras that passengers are forced to check in, or a provably safe way to carry them). As a consequence, I already scrapped a plan to go to the US this summer (essentially, my work requires me to attend conferences from time to time, but I have some room to choose which ones I attend; so my decision is to just skip those in the US for now and until the dust settles, since the rest of the world is large enough).

spacecadet

Sun May 28, 2017 9:30 pm

DocLightning wrote:
The purpose of this ban cannot possibly be security. The flaws in that argument are beyond obvious. A bomb in the hold (or a lithium ion battery fire in the hold) is just as bad if not worse than the same in the cabin. The purpose must be to make travel to the USA more inconvenient.

I think you are exactly right, though I would add that it's also to make travel *from* the USA more inconvenient. This administration does not want US businesses leaving the country or doing business outside the country. And this is one of the few things they can do to prevent that that won't get either shut down by the courts or by congress.

I really see no logic whatsoever to any security argument to be made about this. We didn't ban shoes on flights, and we've actually *had* attempted terrorist shoe bombings on planes. Heck, if you're a known traveler, you don't even need to take your shoes off at security. So you're going to ban a thing that *hasn't* been used as a bomb on a flight, but not something that *has* been. Anyone who's going to talk about how this is really a security measure just needs to stop right there.

Meanwhile, there have been actual, verified accidents caused by lithium batteries in cargo.

So this is not about security or safety. This is about making people not want to fly to or from the USA. And I guarantee it's not the last measure like this that we'll see in the name of security. John Kelly, head of DHS, says "we're going to raise the bar generally speaking for aviation much higher than it is now."

CometII

Sun May 28, 2017 10:40 pm

The Terrorist won.

And the USA is a police-state anyways. I am amazed people still would voluntarily travel here.

seahawk

Mon May 29, 2017 6:47 am

enilria wrote:
AngMoh wrote:

Agreed. I don't really understand why something like that couldn't be created anywhere.

LAXintl wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

I saw media coverage saying that the laptops in the cabin would allow "remote detonation". That doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of it because a phone could allow that as well. I think it's possible what this means is that the passenger doesn't know they have a laptop with a bomb in it and when they sign into wifi on the plane it is remotely detonated by a hacker. As opposed to being in the hold not connected to the internet.

Having said all of that, that doesn't make that much sense since a timer can accomplish pretty much the same effect and not require nearly the complexity and the FAA/DOT could more easily just ban wifi.

How would a passenger accidentally have a modified laptop? Considering that the battery packs are OEM specific the terrorists would need to prepare a battery pack, then find a passenger with the same laptop, then steal the laptop and replace the battery but return it before the passenger notices while the modified battery would need to work so well that the passenger would not notice that the laptop has been tampered with.

DocLightning

Mon May 29, 2017 7:22 am

seahawk wrote:
How would a passenger accidentally have a modified laptop? Considering that the battery packs are OEM specific the terrorists would need to prepare a battery pack, then find a passenger with the same laptop, then steal the laptop and replace the battery but return it before the passenger notices while the modified battery would need to work so well that the passenger would not notice that the laptop has been tampered with.

Presumably, these would be willing suicide bombers. For reasons that pass my understanding, they seem to be in ready supply.

Mon May 29, 2017 7:24 am

downdata wrote:
It will destroy premium demand. If you don't need to work on a plane, there is much less need to travel in international J than say, Y or W.

Why do you need "J" in order to work on a plane? I've seen plenty of people flying in economy class and doing work at the same time and they seemed to be doing it without problem.

I would also suggest that tablet devices / phones / cameras should also be banned from being in the cabin as well. No exceptions. Phones themselves can be dangerous devices anyway, what with exploding batteries, etc.

Actually, I have a better solution to improve safety - just stop all flying in and out of the USA. No airlines fly in or out of the country. And no domestic flying. That will make airliners very safe, because they'll all be on the ground gathering dust and cobwebs.

seahawk

Mon May 29, 2017 7:34 am

DocLightning wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Presumably, these would be willing suicide bombers. For reasons that pass my understanding, they seem to be in ready supply.

Why would you need a remote detonation then?

DocLightning

Mon May 29, 2017 7:37 am

seahawk wrote:

If it were in the hold. But a timer would also suffice.

seahawk

Mon May 29, 2017 7:42 am

And is much easier to built than a remote detonator.

Blimpie

Mon May 29, 2017 10:54 am

Gannet/USAT (my employer) is now also reporting the same as the WSJ article from this past week that DHS has decided that the EU's concern over batteries in the cargo is less of a risk than in cabin and that the risk to the cabin os far greater.

The take away I got from listening to Mr. Kelly yesterday at DCA is that this is pretty much a done deal, and that the ban will start as soon as the SOPs for the TSA agents are complete. I did not get a sense that the agency really had much interest in what IATA or the EU's take on the matter was.

TerminalD
Topic Author

Mon May 29, 2017 1:09 pm

DocLightning wrote:
seahawk wrote:

If it were in the hold. But a timer would also suffice.

All it would really take is infiltrating IT at a company with a lot of biz travel.

max999

Mon May 29, 2017 1:28 pm

AngMoh wrote:

It's likely the Department of Homeland Security recognizes the risk for domestic flights, too. However, I guess they did not propose a domestic ban because they are afraid of political backlash from the business travel special interest groups. Those groups that represent business travellers and their companies are politically powerful here in the US. If a domestic ban was proposed, those groups would explode with anger saying that it hurts small businesses, entrepreneurs, and etc. I think those groups will already be angry about bans for all international-US flights, but they will not as apoplectic if a domestic ban was proposed.

Blimpie

Mon May 29, 2017 8:51 pm

I would venture to say the ME ban was the test bed to gauge backlash, and the decision to expand the ban to the EU, and subsequently Asia and domestic as the end goal to have been implemented in stages to give both the general public as well as the airlines sufficient time to get in the process in place.

kelvin933

Tue May 30, 2017 5:13 pm

max999

Tue May 30, 2017 6:46 pm

kelvin933 wrote:

The article only states the ban is off for US <-> Europe flights. It doesn't state anything about international flights anywhere else. It is likely the ban proposal is still on the table.

TerminalD
Topic Author

Tue May 30, 2017 7:22 pm

max999 wrote:
kelvin933 wrote:

The article only states the ban is off for US <-> Europe flights. It doesn't state anything about international flights anywhere else. It is likely the ban proposal is still on the table.

I don't see how they continue the ME3+TK laptop ban now. It would seem that this rips it to shreds in terms of a safe justification.

Blimpie

Wed May 31, 2017 12:04 am

The Department of Homeland Security has confirmed to Consumerist that it will not be expanding a ban on laptops in the cabins of U.S.-bound aircraft to cover flights coming from Europe. At the same time, DHS cautions that this restriction still remains a possibility in the future.

A spokesman for the DHS told Consumerist that Secretary John Kelly spoke on the phone with European Home Affairs Commissioner Dimitris Avramopoulos and Violeta Bulc, the EU’s Transport Commissioner, on Tuesday to discuss aviation security.

While on the call, the three “agreed on the need to raise the bar for aviation security globally, including through a range of potential seen and unseen enhancements,” and committed to working together to “secure global aviation,” while keeping the lines of communication and cooperation clear.

“Finally, while a much-discussed expansion of the ban on large electronic devices in the cabin on flights to the United States was not announced today, the Secretary made it clear that an expansion is still on the table,” the spokesperson said in a statement.

Secretary Kelly said he would do whatever it takes to secure passenger flights heading to the U.S. — “including prohibiting large electronic devices from the passenger cabin – if the intelligence and threat level warrant it.”

“Over the last few months DHS has continuously reached out to global aviation partners regarding serious and evolving threats to aviation, and the Department will continue to do so,” the spokesperson told Consumerist.

https://consumerist.com/2017/05/30/homeland-security-wont-expand-laptop-ban-to-flights-from-europe-for-now/

I find this VERY contradictory, as this is report is the opposite of every piece of information that is coming across our editor desks at Gannett (and like every other major American media outlet). Reports coming in from the wire (AP, Reuters, and AFP) from their sources state quite the opposite of what Consumerist is reporting.

Aesma

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:46 am

From what I heard on the radio the reasoning for putting laptops in the hold is that the computer assisted CT scans are better for hold luggage than cabin luggage.

It would seem to me that what is needed is not a ban, it's buying more and better machines, and hiring more staff, to improve security for cabin luggage. Maybe have two lines, one for people without computer hardware with them, one for people with.

hiflyeras

Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:45 pm

I hope flight and cabin crew in the US stage a work stoppage over this insane plan. I don't want a belly full of lithium batteries going into thermal runaway with no way to fight the fire. It's a horrific accident waiting to happen on a passenger aircraft.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos