Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryan78
Topic Author

Project Loon Balloons Over Puerto Rico On FR24

Thu May 25, 2017 10:36 am

I was cruising around FR24 this morning around the Caribbean when I noticed something I've never seen before on FR24 and that is track-able weather balloons. Approximately 9 of them, looks like they lifted off from the airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico (TJRV) all of them cruising East over Isla De Culebra before heading West towards the Dominican Republic. Currently there are 3 above Puerto Rico and 6 above the DR, all holding 55-62k feet in altitude and around 10-20kts ground speed.

https://www.flightradar24.com/HBAL068/d7d0918

And for those of you interested in Project Loon here is the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Loon

Interesting, these things come across as not so common, there is a small list of "spottings" from around the globe included on the wiki page. They seem to float all around the world too as there have been many downed balloons spotted everywhere from New Zealand, South Africa, Brazil and Newfoundland. A nice surprise and something different from the usual sightings on FR24. Wonder how long we will be able to track these balloons before they disappear?

b747400erf

Re: Project Loon Balloons Over Puerto Rico On FR24

Thu May 25, 2017 1:14 pm

They have to broadcast mode-s and have no reason to hide. They have been up for a long time on the flight tracking sites.

mwhcvt

Thu May 25, 2017 3:42 pm

Indeed I've seen these for years on FR24 it's sometimes interesting to check them out

airnorth

Thu May 25, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks for posting, very interesting.