Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

runningonempty
Topic Author

Frontier to serve ISP-MCO

Wed May 24, 2017 4:37 pm

As reported by Newsday and bookable on flyfrontier.com,

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/tran ... 1.13660373

This is exciting, and also somewhat puzzling, such as why Frontier chooses to open with a route going head to head with the majority carrier at the airport. Either way, I am excited to see the success that the route may bring, and the future routes Frontier may find suitable for Islip.

enilria

Re: Frontier to serve ISP-MCO

Wed May 24, 2017 4:42 pm

I think F9 competes well with WN.

ISP is a feast or famine market historically, but I think this is a good choice.

phluser

Wed May 24, 2017 5:13 pm

enilria wrote:

I'd add to the end of your sentence: "on leisure routes moreso, and when WN is not high frequency"

I'm sure WN will discount ISP-BWI-MCO along with ISP-MCO, and F9 might anticipate enough pax will opt for a F9 nonstop over ISP-BWI-MCO, when the WN nonstop has no more low fare inventory.

TerminalD

Wed May 24, 2017 5:24 pm

phluser wrote:
enilria wrote:

I'd add to the end of your sentence: "on leisure routes moreso, and when WN is not high frequency"

I'm sure WN will discount ISP-BWI-MCO along with ISP-MCO, and F9 might anticipate enough pax will opt for a F9 nonstop over ISP-BWI-MCO, when the WN nonstop has no more low fare inventory.

I think that's fair, but I think the all-in price works least well against the diametric opposite approach.

lesfalls

Wed May 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Interesting news. I wonder if they will try to attract passangers from NYC as the drive nor taking the train is that bad.

Frontier14

Wed May 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Interesting choice by Frontier. Depending on the departure times at each end this could be sustainable for F9.

Frontier 14

iflyalexair

Wed May 24, 2017 6:15 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Interesting news. I wonder if they will try to attract passangers from NYC as the drive nor taking the train is that bad.

Probably not since EWR/JFK/LGA fares to MCO are already low. Not enough of a difference to make someone spend the time and money on the LIRR to get to ISP.

tsnamm

Wed May 24, 2017 6:31 pm

I'd be interested to see if F9 might be interested in adding some additional destinations from ISP. I assume based on how this one does...

nadavatar64

Wed May 24, 2017 6:39 pm

Did not see that one coming! I hope they will do well, good to break the WN monopoly on ISP-MCO.

yanksn4

Wed May 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Flights seem to be available from 08/14 with the following times:

ISP 10:45 MCO 13:30 A320
MCO 07:15 ISP 09:55 A320

From a ISP viewpoint, I would have preferred a early departure to MCO and evening return with the A/C staying overnight. WN will have a better schedule in that sense.

I live halfway more or less between JFK and ISP, I would definitely consider ISP more if there were better options.

runningonempty
Topic Author

Wed May 24, 2017 9:10 pm

I believe this is terrific news for MacArthur. Frontier is an airline that loves LTD flying and if the MCO flying is good, I see Frontier trying new things, and with LTD scheduling, can't see how the millions who live in this airport's catchment area won't be receptive to the low fares.

11725Flyer

Wed May 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Being a former Suffolk County resident (18 years), I always appreciated any flights out of ISP so I didn't have to drive to LGA or JFK. EWR was never considered. I hope this flight succeeds and then F9 can add from north-south to east-west.

mariner

Wed May 24, 2017 9:18 pm

runningonempty wrote:
I believe this is terrific news for MacArthur. Frontier is an airline that loves LTD flying and if the MCO flying is good, I see Frontier trying new things, and with LTD scheduling, can't see how the millions who live in this airport's catchment area won't be receptive to the low fares.

I think it's a happy day. I've had my hand up for a return to New England since they left all those years ago, and given en the attitude of Massport to Frontier then, it was never likely to be BOS - LOL
I had thought they might go to MHT or even PSM, but I think ISP is an excellent idea and PVD is the bonus. I'd still like to see them put a toe in the water at MHT.

I hope it all works, but it won't be dull - at least not for me. Image

mariner

slcdeltarumd11

Wed May 24, 2017 9:20 pm

I think Frontier could do really well at ISP, yes southwest is there but there are millions and millions within a 90 minute drive. If they offer sales or gimmicks or advertising they can pull the people in. The ULCCs seem to be able to compete and sneak in on large o&d routes.

I really like to see more ISP service and really wish frontier good luck and hopefully more routes to come!!

phluser

Thu May 25, 2017 2:41 am

tsnamm wrote:
I'd be interested to see if F9 might be interested in adding some additional destinations from ISP. I assume based on how this one does...

It could probably do well on ISP-FLL. South Florida is a larger market from ISP, and F9's high density seat configuration means more seats at low fares which can be attractive pax visiting friends and families, who would want to do frequent runs on the cheapest way possible.

MCO might have less frequent travelers where those pax will scrutinize the difference of F9 fare that is 25% less than a Southwest 1-stop through BWI fare, and then add bags to the F9 fare, and deduce that maybe Southwest is a better deal even if connecting in BWI.

It remains to be seen how aggressive WN will be in faring and how loyal ISP pax will be to WN.

wnflyguy

Thu May 25, 2017 4:06 am

Wonder what gate they will use?
Been rumored for awhile that ISP was pushing WN to give up unused gates.
Last I've heard the airport wanted A1,A2 and A3.

Flyguy

slcdeltarumd11

Thu May 25, 2017 5:26 am

I really think BTV-MCO would work. I know plattsburgh NY is close and has great ULCC service, but i think there is still demand. JetBlue flew the route, Allegiant after them(sanford). The legacies seem to prefer the frequent hops to their hubs which makes sense cause it gives travelers more time options and access to wherever smaller FL and Caribbean airports but i think Frontier could stimulate enough demand.

Flighty

Thu May 25, 2017 6:07 am

Islip, huh? You want to impress me Frontier? Serve Elmira!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos