Frontier announces PVD

Wed May 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Denver and Orlando nonstop service begins August 14th

Ill take this as a sign that BOS is full and or saturated

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... er-orlando

OslPhlWasChi

Re: Frontier announces PVD

Wed May 24, 2017 3:53 pm

Will be interesting to see how this goes. Will PVD ultimately get ATL, CLE, CVG, ORD, and PHL 3-4x service?

DTWLUVER

Wed May 24, 2017 3:54 pm

How on earth is PVD going to handle another airline Ticket counter space is Maxed out and gates are all accounted for I believe . This is going to be interesting to see how RIAC is going to squeeze this in ...

RL757PVD
Topic Author

Wed May 24, 2017 4:10 pm

PVD still has some open gates (2, 14, and 22 which have all been converted to common use. Ticket counter there is a couple vacant counters next to UA and also the common use counters used by the international carriers between DL and WN.

PVD is extra roomy compared to the BOS situation

B752OS

Wed May 24, 2017 4:24 pm

They finally make their return to New England. It was only a matter of time as it was a massive hole in their route network.

BOS-DEN is pretty crowded with JetBlue, United and Southwest all fly multiple daily flights.

phluser

Wed May 24, 2017 4:29 pm

My F9 email today also announced new service to ISP (not PVD-ISP but ISP-MCO).

tphuang

Wed May 24, 2017 4:36 pm

Frontier really going after southwest

PVD757

Wed May 24, 2017 4:50 pm

PVD has 11 common use ticket counter stations between DL & WN plus 4 empty ones between UA & B6. They have 4 common use gates now (2, 11, 14, and 22) and I've heard UA is moving from 7 & 8 to gate 11 (they keep 9 & 10), so that will make 5 shared gates. Right now, they are used a couple times per week total so adding Norwegian and now Frontier hardly maxes the airport out.

TWA772LR

Wed May 24, 2017 4:54 pm

IAH-PVD would be a good market. WN and UA are in BOS, and UA is in BDL from Houston. PVD is not only unserved from Houston, it is also a good alternative airport for the region.

DTWLUVER

Wed May 24, 2017 5:01 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
PVD still has some open gates (2, 14, and 22 which have all been converted to common use. Ticket counter there is a couple vacant counters next to UA and also the common use counters used by the international carriers between DL and WN.

PVD is extra roomy compared to the BOS situation

My college bedroom looked right out on to PVD Dorm was on Post Road across from the Radisson a hotel my university owns. Dang I miss the smell of jet fuel in the AM .
Isn't Gate 14 the old AA Eagle gate-- No jetway there you had to walk down stairs to get to the SF-3 & ATR-42's they operated there . You walked past the NW & AA ramp offices & breakrooms. And Looks like old NW gate 11 could be a second JB gate possibly eh?
Thought gates 20,21,22 were gobbled up by a TGIFridays at the end of the hall ?
Yeah gate 2 looks open I agree unless its a AA gate that is not labeled ?
I really do need to get back to PVD probably in the fall I will go to PVD.
Anyway good for PVD .

MAH4546

Wed May 24, 2017 5:37 pm

Also announced LAS-RDU and LAS-MIA resumption. Wonder what else? F9 tends to throw out a lot of new routes at once but never a central press release.

RL757PVD
Topic Author

Wed May 24, 2017 6:03 pm

LAS, ATL, PHL and ORD all have potential to be good follow on additions.

lat41

Wed May 24, 2017 6:08 pm

The opening of runway 5-23 later this at 8700' will give Frontier and other carriers 12 month all weather flexibility to fly wherever they want. WNs PHX and LAS faced some constraints that will be gone now.

CRJ900

Wed May 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Maybe they'll try to capture some connecting traffic with Norwegian's trans-Atlantic flights...?

Frontier14

Wed May 24, 2017 7:37 pm

CRJ900 wrote:
Maybe they'll try to capture some connecting traffic with Norwegian's trans-Atlantic flights...?

That would be a shocker wouldn't it........given Norwegian has announced service to DEN come later this fall. :roll: :roll:

Frontier 14

PVD757

Thu May 25, 2017 1:05 am

Not that there is any intention for connecting traffic at PVD between Frontier and Norwegian, but the PVD and DEN Norwegian service are complimentary to each other. In looking at the schedules it does appear one could book DEN-PVD and connect to ORK, EDI, BGO, BFS, DUB, and SNN. The return isn't good as it would require an overnight layover but the MCO departure is late enough to connect from BFS, BGO, DUB, and SNN. Again, very few if any people will do this but it is possible.

John

Thu May 25, 2017 12:24 pm

Just what PVD needs, another MCO flight. Already well served by WN & B6. Now all PVD needs to do is convince AA to add MIA & DFW.

LotsaRunway

Thu May 25, 2017 2:19 pm

Good for PVD in landing the MassPort castoff! PVD also picked the pocket of MHT, which has long been thought to have the lead on F9. Obviously, MHT failed to close the deal and PVD took advantage of opportunity.

Looking forward, PVD was hoping to get WN to bring back DEN nonstops. I wonder if this would either kill those hopes or drive WN into a competitive overdrive? Fares to MCO are going to have to take a dive to fill all those seats between 3 airlines.

lat41

Thu May 25, 2017 4:04 pm

Frontier will only have one roundtrip, an evening going and a fairly early NB. They will perhaps aim to scoop up the bargain crowd much as Spirit does up North at BOS without upending the established carriers on the route.

lavalampluva

Thu May 25, 2017 4:06 pm

F9 making yet another attempt at creating a hub?

rnav2dlrey

Thu May 25, 2017 4:12 pm

perhaps good news for PVD in general: the wickford junction MBTA station will trial free trips to and from providence station (and presumably TF green).

it's a 6 month trial, beginning 7/3: http://www.theday.com/statenortheast/20 ... -ridership

wickford junction is a beautiful facility, and a somewhat convenient way for people in south and new london counties to park in a garage for free while using PVD (or BOS). one problem? no trains stop there on the weekend.

phluser

Thu May 25, 2017 5:35 pm

lat41 wrote:
Frontier will only have one roundtrip, an evening going and a fairly early NB. They will perhaps aim to scoop up the bargain crowd much as Spirit does up North at BOS without upending the established carriers on the route.

From my experience on Southwest and even Frontier, evening flights that arrive MCO late tend to be less full.

I'm not sure about popularity of early morning flights out of MCO but likely it requires a family to stay one night at an MCO hotel, typically $100-$120, and the major hotels don't make it easy using points in MCO. But if a family of four saves on four tickets, an extra night by the airport might make it doable.

Rhodylee

Thu May 25, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm surprised the only connections they're showing through Denver are to SLC, PDX, and LAS. Are there really that many people going to those cities every day to fill a plane ? Maybe they'll add some other connection possibilities later ?

Frontier14

Thu May 25, 2017 6:18 pm

Rhodylee wrote:
I'm surprised the only connections they're showing through Denver are to SLC, PDX, and LAS. Are there really that many people going to those cities every day to fill a plane ? Maybe they'll add some other connection possibilities later ?

Frontier as of late has been limiting connecting flights out of Denver. Since they re-structured to a P2P airline, the number of connection possibilities has decreased substantially system wide. Where connections are available there tends to be a long layover before the second leg departs. This reduces the missed connections and associated costs that come when those events happen.

Frontier 14

mariner

Thu May 25, 2017 6:25 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
F9 making yet another attempt at creating a hub?

Darn small "hub" - LOL.

Frontier14 wrote:
Frontier as of late has been limiting connecting flights out of Denver. Since they re-structured to a P2P airline, the number of connection possibilities has decreased substantially system wide. Where connections are available there tends to be a long layover before the second leg departs. This reduces the missed connections and associated costs that come when those events happen.

Frontier 14

mariner

TerminalD

Thu May 25, 2017 7:59 pm

PVD-MCO is a good move. DEN is less certain. I can't see it working well outside of Summer.

DTWLUVER

Thu May 25, 2017 11:25 pm

However if the New England Patriots play Denver this will be a option to bring Pats fans to Denver or vise a versa Denver fans to Foxboro.

Rhodylee

Fri May 26, 2017 11:43 pm

Frontier14 wrote:
Rhodylee wrote:

Frontier 14

I see what you mean about the long layovers - 12 hours if you want to go from Seattle to Madison one day I picked in June ! But you'd think this would open up more possibilities and not less since the incoming and outgoing flight times don't need to be coordinated ?

Frontier14

Sat May 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Frontier 14[/quote]

I see what you mean about the long layovers - 12 hours if you want to go from Seattle to Madison one day I picked in June ! But you'd think this would open up more possibilities and not less since the incoming and outgoing flight times don't need to be coordinated ?[/quote]

I think it is safe to say that Frontier is no longer interested in the connection business given the ULCC business model it now embraces. They are getting plenty of pax filling the seats from point A to point B without having the costs and headaches of adding a point C to the equation. The airline industry has changed; and F9 had to adapt. Elimination of the connecting possibilities was just one of the moves they made to stay in business.

Frontier 14

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos