Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

werdywerd
Topic Author

JetBlue New NYPD Livery

Sat May 20, 2017 10:01 pm

From NYCAviation.com Facebook Page
JetBlue Airways has a new special livery! "Blue Finest" (N531JL) honors the NYPD. Photo by NYCA Contributing Photographer Mark Szemberski. #AvGeek
https://www.facebook.com/NYCAviation/ph ... =3&theater

The Tail are the colors of the NYPD Flag

Rear says "Proud to support New York's Finest" Front boarding doors have an NYPD Patch and Shield.

A/C Named "Blue Finest"

werdywerd
Topic Author

Re: JetBlue New NYPD Livery

Sun May 21, 2017 1:25 am

Wow thought this place loved new Liveries lol

727LOVER

Sun May 21, 2017 1:59 am

It's very nice. So that's like 5 B6 special liveries I need

F27500

Sun May 21, 2017 2:15 am

JetBlue is a class act. Very nice way to honor NYPD and to NYC too. Cool airline .. fly them a few times a year and always have a good experience.

fastmover

Sun May 21, 2017 2:23 am

werdywerd wrote:

Well it's not a Delta plane, and there is already a thread about the SWA schedule release so there you go. ;)

wjcandee

Sun May 21, 2017 2:43 am

werdywerd wrote:

You're getting a lot of views... Just what is there to say? It's NYPD Blue (which is what they should have called the plane) . I think it's a good thing for them to do, especially considering how their hometown crapped all over the police during the mayoral election and afterwards tied their hands, but still expected them to keep the city from returning to its natural state of danger and chaos. Now watch the stupid anti-police comments that will follow what I just said, which is probably why most people were afraid to post.

Nice photo.

aemoreira1981

Sun May 21, 2017 3:13 am

Given that Blue Bravest (honoring the NYC Fire Department) was introduced in spring 2013, I'm surprised that it took this long to get an NYPD special livery in the fleet. I hope that this (Blue Finest) and Blue Bravest eventually transfer over to single-class A321s.

SeaDoo

Sun May 21, 2017 3:51 am

Nice of Jet Blue to try and honor NYPD. I think the paint job itself could have been much better. I have no idea looking at that photo that they are honoring the NYPD.

I have worked with two guys who used to work for the NYPD. One retired. The other left as he had to live off of credit cards to make it. The pay is poor and living in NYC you get taxed to death. Thanks to all who sacrifice and work for the NYPD and for other police and sheriff's departments around our great country.

wjcandee

Sun May 21, 2017 6:22 am

SeaDoo wrote:
Nice of Jet Blue to try and honor NYPD. [...] The pay is poor and living in NYC you get taxed to death. .

Absolutely. It's tough duty, and Port Authority Police and the police in NJ and other NY counties make a good deal more. Much of the "compensation" these guys get involves the pride of working for the NYPD, and the camaraderie of the job in this city. The good news is that when you retire, you can go to another agency for more money, or you can take the decent pension you get down to Florida, where housing is uber-affordable and there is no state income tax. The sad part is that the City loses a lot of good people when the retired cops leave for Florida.

jetbluefan1

Sun May 21, 2017 10:16 am

Beautiful plane. Happy to see B6 continue to differentiate itself with its special liveries.

Happy to see the NYPD honored. They have one of the toughest jobs and do an incredible job keeping NYC safe.

aviationaware

Sun May 21, 2017 11:06 am

Great show of support, and much needed considering the mindless hate cops have to endure from the left these days.

jfklganyc

Sun May 21, 2017 11:46 am

Yes! Been waiting for it! Classy move!

STT757

Sun May 21, 2017 1:41 pm

SeaDoo wrote:
Nice of Jet Blue to try and honor NYPD. I think the paint job itself could have been much better. I have no idea looking at that photo that they are honoring the NYPD.

I think unless you're current or former NYPD that livery doesn't really stand out as representing the NYPD, they should have tried to incorporate the design on NYPD vehicles into the aircraft, like this:

[photoid]http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.13268242.1489597382!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_1280/image.jpg[/photoid]

Or I even think old school would have looked cool:

[photoid]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/90eG2orxnSY/hqdefault.jpg[/photoid]

I guess since their history doesn't even go back 20 years yet, they are limited to these type of special liveries. I'm more into the retro or heritage liveries, especially AA's TWA. Love seeing it parked at EWR like the good ole days.

jfklganyc

Sun May 21, 2017 2:05 pm

That is the NYPD flag. I personally think B6 (while a strong supporter of cops and nypd) is trying to walk a fine line here.

Many of their pax are from NYC communities of color that may not be thrilled with the nypd. (A view I disagree with btw)

This is a little less in your face than an NYPD shield while still a show of support.

Sad state of America these days...but still a reality

werdywerd
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2017 2:20 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
That is the NYPD flag. I personally think B6 (while a strong supporter of cops and nypd) is trying to walk a fine line here.

Many of their pax are from NYC communities of color that may not be thrilled with the nypd. (A view I disagree with btw)

This is a little less in your face than an NYPD shield while still a show of support.

100% correct
They did just enough so that cop supporters know exactly what this is, while your average Joe will look at this plane from a distance and not even give it a thought. Too many cop haters that may be passengers unfortunately

alberchico

Sun May 21, 2017 2:44 pm

SeaDoo wrote:

I have worked with two guys who used to work for the NYPD. One retired. The other left as he had to live off of credit cards to make it. The pay is poor and living in NYC you get taxed to death. Thanks to all who sacrifice and work for the NYPD and for other police and sheriff's departments around our great country.

I agree. How is a passenger supposed to know what that livery represents ? If they had added this to the tail the livery would have been truly bad ass:

Which is precisely what they did with the FDNY special livery:

jfklganyc wrote:

I disagree. I really don't think people will be upset with an airline simply because of a law enforcement livery on their plane.

kabq737

Sun May 21, 2017 3:02 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

This actually impresses me. It shows that Jet Blue understands the issues in their community. I do not wish to start arguments. Some here may think this agency is unfair and some may fully back the agency however, either way there are areas in New York City that do not exactly appreciate NYPD. I like that this livery shows NYPD that Jet Blue supports them while also showing that Jet Blue is sensitive to the issues of police distrust in their community by not creating a livery that may be considered offensive or even intimidating to some. Again not making any statements about NYPD but I feel that this livery does a fantastic job of recognizing both sides of a major issue in our country.

wjcandee

Sun May 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Well, if they're worried about "intimidating" people, then putting various NYPD shields and the NYPD logo right next to the boarding door, as they have, probably isn't the best idea. So I don't get it.

And they definitely should have called it NYPD Blue -- i.e. after the show.

727LOVER

Sun May 21, 2017 3:39 pm

[quote="wjcandee"]It's NYPD Blue (which is what they should have called the plane) .quote]

I get the play on words because B6 has BLUE in all their titles...but legally, can they? Isn't that copyrighted?

wjcandee

Sun May 21, 2017 5:46 pm

727LOVER wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
It's NYPD Blue (which is what they should have called the plane) .quote]

I get the play on words because B6 has BLUE in all their titles...but legally, can they? Isn't that copyrighted?

Pretty sure that if they contacted the owner of what I assume is a trademark, they could work something out. This kind of stuff is arranged all the time among reasonable people.

Adipocere

Sun May 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Well it's highly unlikely that those who disagree with the NYPD will afford to be flying around much (unless it's a DOJ jet!!). So I don't think this is much of a big deal commercially. It may cause some heart burn on social media, but will blow over.

KLDC10

Sun May 21, 2017 6:03 pm

The livery looks really nice, but I have to agree with other posters about the lack of a visible NYPD crest. Sure, there is one placed next to the L1 boarding door, but when the airplane taxis past, especially at an airport outside of New York, nothing really screams "NYPD". I don't suppose that the NYPD flag is even that well known in New York, but the crest most certainly is.

The fact that the FDNY livery does boldly display their crest leads me to believe that this was perhaps a politically-motivated decision, which is a real shame. If you're going to commit to supporting an organization, then get behind them 100% and boldly show your support, just like the FDNY livery does. Nobody should be scared to support law enforcement, but the culture right now is that overt gestures of support tend to be immediately criticized. It's nice that JetBlue is doing this at all, given the general animosity towards law enforcement in certain political and activist quarters right now, but it could have been better.

aemoreira1981

Sun May 21, 2017 6:54 pm

STT757 wrote:
SeaDoo wrote:

I think unless you're current or former NYPD that livery doesn't really stand out as representing the NYPD, they should have tried to incorporate the design on NYPD vehicles into the aircraft, like this:

[photoid]http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.13268242.1489597382!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_1280/image.jpg[/photoid]

Or I even think old school would have looked cool:

[photoid]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/90eG2orxnSY/hqdefault.jpg[/photoid]

I guess since their history doesn't even go back 20 years yet, they are limited to these type of special liveries. I'm more into the retro or heritage liveries, especially AA's TWA. Love seeing it parked at EWR like the good ole days.

Or put the NYPD shield on the vertical stabilizer. On ship 615, the FDNY logo is on the vertical stabilizer. I doubt that a PANYNJ special would ever come though because there would be way too much conflict of interest there. As for controversy in the area, if it were to happen...JetBlue can defend itself by saying that no one complained in 2013 (when Blue Bravest was introduced)...why are they complaining now?

INFINITI329

Sun May 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Noone outside of NYC will know what the NYPD flags look like. Hell, 75% of New Yorkers probably can't identify the NYPD flag. The patch is what they should have used.

werdywerd
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2017 10:24 pm

alberchico wrote:

I disagree. I really don't think people will be upset with an airline simply because of a law enforcement livery on their plane.

Uh, when JetBlue was flying Law Enforcement for free to cops funerals around the country, there were people coming down on JetBlue for supporting cops. They vowed to never fly jetblue again.

Sure its a small vocal minority of fliers, but JetBlue had to be careful with this one

werdywerd
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2017 10:27 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
placed next to the L1 boarding door

I looked at it again, looks they JetBlue strategically placed it so that the JetBridge will cover the Shield up

Am I mistaken?

aemoreira1981

Sun May 21, 2017 11:20 pm

werdywerd wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

I looked at it again, looks they JetBlue strategically placed it so that the JetBridge will cover the Shield up

Am I mistaken?

The jet bridge normally doesn't go to the starboard side. That said, it should have been a large shield on the stabilizer, similar to ship 615.

werdywerd
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2017 11:58 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
werdywerd wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

Am I mistaken?

The jet bridge normally doesn't go to the starboard side. That said, it should have been a large shield on the stabilizer, similar to ship 615.

I assume both sides are the same. We will see...

TripleA

Mon May 22, 2017 3:24 am

werdywerd wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
werdywerd wrote:

Am I mistaken?

You're right it is the same on both sides. It sure is a shame that people are afraid to express their support for police in this country these days...

D L X

Mon May 22, 2017 7:17 am

KLDC10 wrote:
Nobody should be scared to support law enforcement,

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that 1) you're white, and 2) you have never had a conversation with your black friends about this topic. I think the latter would do you good instead of dismissing their concerns outright.

jfklganyc

Mon May 22, 2017 11:39 am

If you attend a parade in NYC, you see this flag quite often. Usually with the mounted unit, motorcycle unit, or nypd marching band. Along with the Emerald Society, these are widespread symbols of the NYPD.

Now that I have seen the NYPD shield below the jetway line, I am 100% sure B6 did this to honor cops while towing a fine line.

Let's see if there will be a press release and fanfare usually associated with their liveries.

qf789

Mon May 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Please stay on topic and keep the personal comments to other users out of the discussion

KLDC10

Mon May 22, 2017 1:08 pm

TripleA wrote:
werdywerd wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

You're right it is the same on both sides. It sure is a shame that people are afraid to express their support for police in this country these days...

Hold up. Looking at this photo: https://www.airliners.net/photo/JetBlue- ... /4381705/L
It looks like the crest is actually located right next to the L1 door, just next to the first window, which means that passengers should (if they're paying attention) observe it as they board the aircraft. I can't make out what the lower crest is, but it is the wrong shape to be the NYPD patch with which we are all familiar.

Still, I agree with the sentiment - it shouldn't be that hard to find.

D L X

Mon May 22, 2017 3:43 pm

qf789 wrote:
Please stay on topic and keep the personal comments to other users out of the discussion

What do you think the topic is?

The only reason this is controversial is because the subject of the livery is controversial. Deleting posts that discuss the controversy is censorship of ideas.

Obviously, it's a private website, so you can do what you want, but call it how it is: if you are only going to allow posts that laud this move, say so.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos