Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Saudi Gulf to buy B777 and B787

Sat May 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Saudi Gulf Airline has announced its intention to buy B777 and B787 aircraft from Boeing. The announcement has been made in the presence of President Donald Trump in the Saudi capital city, Riyadh.
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun May 21, 2017 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

nadavatar64

Re: Saudi Gulf to buy B777 and B787

Sat May 20, 2017 5:39 pm

I wonder where will they fly them. Are they planning to expand in JED or RUH? Or they just going to build a larger hub in DMM. Its getting interesting.

jbs2886

Sat May 20, 2017 6:17 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:
Saudi Gulf Airline has announced its intention to buy B777 and B787 aircraft from Boeing. The announcement has been made in the presence of President Donald Trump in the Saudi capital city, Riyadh.

Source?

SQ22

Sat May 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Please keep politics out of this thread.

nikeherc

Sat May 20, 2017 8:40 pm

SQ22 wrote:

Since Trump is in Saudi Arabia and the announcement was made in his presence, and no mention of politics was made and it is not political. If you are asking others not to turn this thread political, that is one thing. If, on the other hand, this is an example of what I and perhaps others regard as a growing stifling of opinion on this particular forum, I would request that the moderators lighten up

jbs2886

Sat May 20, 2017 8:44 pm

nikeherc wrote:
SQ22 wrote:

Since Trump is in Saudi Arabia and the announcement was made in his presence, and no mention of politics was made and it is not political. If you are asking others not to turn this thread political, that is one thing. If, on the other hand, this is an example of what I and perhaps others regard as a growing stifling of opinion on this particular forum, I would request that the moderators lighten up

A number of political posts were removed, rightly so. You can certainly mention politics, but don't post in a way that turns it into a political debate. There's a big difference. A.net is a good safe space for me from all the politics that is everywhere and I can just read about aviation.

TheGeordielad

Sat May 20, 2017 8:54 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
nikeherc wrote:
SQ22 wrote:

A number of political posts were removed, rightly so. You can certainly mention politics, but don't post in a way that turns it into a political debate. There's a big difference. A.net is a good safe space for me from all the politics that is everywhere and I can just read about aviation.

Well Said jbs2886

TheGeordielad

Sat May 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Could they also take up the 2 ex Air Austral birds?

zkojq

Sat May 20, 2017 10:04 pm

I'm skeptical. The middle east is awash with excess capacity as it is. Even if you forget about the ME3 there is significant capacity growth seemingly planned with Flyadeal, Al Maha, Flynas and now Saudi Gulf. This won't end well.

TheGeordielad wrote:

Those are going to Alitalia. I saw the first one fully painted outside the hangar at Lourdes/Tarbes a few days ago. The second one still has the Air Austral tail.

MoonC

Sat May 20, 2017 10:20 pm

zkojq wrote:
I'm skeptical. The middle east is awash with excess capacity as it is. Even if you forget about the ME3 there is significant capacity growth seemingly planned with Flyadeal, Al Maha, Flynas and now Saudi Gulf. This won't end well.

TheGeordielad wrote:

Those are going to Alitalia. I saw the first one fully painted outside the hangar at Lourdes/Tarbes a few days ago. The second one still has the Air Austral tail.

It is in Lourdes/Tarbes because it's in storage. I doubt Alitalia is in the position to take 2 x B77Ws in their current state.

TheGeordielad

Sat May 20, 2017 10:24 pm

zkojq wrote:

TheGeordielad wrote:

There not going to Alitalia anymore.

Stitch

Sat May 20, 2017 11:15 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
We still don't even have a source. And, even a google search didn't bring any news up.

The Kingdom just signed a very large (USD 110 billion) defense deal with the USA during the State Visit so it's quite possible that commercial deals have been or will be made during the visit, as well, even if it is not yet publicly acknowledged. U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson noted the trip could generate over USD 350 billion in investments so a large commercial airliner deal would play into that total quite nicely.

Newbiepilot

Sat May 20, 2017 11:22 pm

Is this just firming up the order for 15 777s and 13 787s from Saudi that was discussed in September 2016?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/400832 ... inus-300er

Stitch

Sat May 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
Is this just firming up the order for 15 777s and 13 787s from Saudi that was discussed in September 2016?

That order was for Saudi Arabian Airlines, though Boeing's O&D page doesn't show it as booked yet (unless it's as a UFO). That being said, on April 27th, Dr. Ghassan Abdul Rahman al-Shabal, chairman of the board of directors of the state-owned airlines, stated that Saudi Arabian Airlines would be adding new aircraft and "the airlines have reached a deal that will see it purchase 30 new Airbus and Boeing planes that will be delivered in 2017".

And SaudiGulf currently operates only domestically with a small fleet. :scratchchin:

jbs2886

Sun May 21, 2017 12:34 am

Stitch wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

That order was for Saudi Arabian Airlines, though Boeing's O&D page doesn't show it as booked yet (unless it's as a UFO). That being said, on April 27th, Dr. Ghassan Abdul Rahman al-Shabal, chairman of the board of directors of the state-owned airlines, stated that Saudi Arabian Airlines would be adding new aircraft and "the airlines have reached a deal that will see it purchase 30 new Airbus and Boeing planes that will be delivered in 2017".

And SaudiGulf currently operates only domestically with a small fleet. :scratchchin:

I thought it was under the Ministry of Finance (but also UFO). Something like that.

jbs2886

Sun May 21, 2017 12:36 am

Stitch wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
We still don't even have a source. And, even a google search didn't bring any news up.

The Kingdom just signed a very large (USD 110 billion) defense deal with the USA during the State Visit so it's quite possible that commercial deals have been or will be made during the visit, as well, even if it is not yet publicly acknowledged. U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson noted the trip could generate over USD 350 billion in investments so a large commercial airliner deal would play into that total quite nicely.

I'm fully aware of the defense deal. I don't doubt that this order is possible, but would definitely like some sort of verifiable source.

VX321

Sun May 21, 2017 12:38 am

zkojq wrote:

TheGeordielad wrote:

Al Maha is not starting up. QR announced the plan fell through. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... -maha/amp/

dcajet

Sun May 21, 2017 12:40 am

MoonC wrote:
zkojq wrote:

TheGeordielad wrote:

It is in Lourdes/Tarbes because it's in storage. I doubt Alitalia is in the position to take 2 x B77Ws in their current state.
TheGeordielad wrote:
zkojq wrote:

TheGeordielad wrote:

Actually, they are. It was confirmed yesterday by Alitalia's "extraordinary administrator", Luigi Gubitosi. He said that the 77W that is in Lourdes, painted with the AZ colors is getting a new interior fitted and will be back in FCO in August.

http://www.metronews.it/17/05/18/alital ... gosto.html

Stitch

Sun May 21, 2017 2:45 am

Al Arabiya's webpage listed the Top 15 agreements signed between the US and the Kingdom this weekend, one of which is "aircraft purchase agreement between Saudi Airlines and Boeing".

jbs2886

Sun May 21, 2017 3:17 am

Stitch wrote:
Al Arabiya's webpage listed the Top 15 agreements signed between the US and the Kingdom this weekend, one of which is "aircraft purchase agreement between Saudi Airlines and Boeing".

Saudi or Saudi Gulf?

aemoreira1981

Sun May 21, 2017 3:25 am

zkojq wrote:

TheGeordielad wrote:

The one at LDE actually was at FCO before, but AerCap ferried the frame from FCO to LDE. I can presume that the other expected lease is also canceled.

OA940

Sun May 21, 2017 7:56 am

They operate 186-seater A320's. Are they going hybrid considering the 777 order?

TheGeordielad

Sun May 21, 2017 9:49 am

dcajet wrote:
MoonC wrote:
zkojq wrote:

TheGeordielad wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Actually, they are. It was confirmed yesterday by Alitalia's "extraordinary administrator", Luigi Gubitosi. He said that the 77W that is in Lourdes, painted with the AZ colors is getting a new interior fitted and will be back in FCO in August.

http://www.metronews.it/17/05/18/alital ... gosto.html

Are they? Anyway thanks dcajet

boefan

Sun May 21, 2017 4:21 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
dubaiamman243 wrote:

Source?

Here you go . Up to 16 widebody aircraft

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t ... ce=twitter

jbs2886

Sun May 21, 2017 5:54 pm

boefan wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
dubaiamman243 wrote:

Source?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t ... ce=twitter

Thanks. Although not even close to an order as presented in the OP. Instead, Boeing agreed to "negotiate" an order of unspecified aircraft.

DTWLUVER

Sun May 21, 2017 7:47 pm

Glad they chose Boeing for sure.

N717TW

Sun May 21, 2017 9:20 pm

nikeherc wrote:
SQ22 wrote:

I would argue that this announcement and the fact that Mr. Trump was there is connected and whole thing is very political. The White House's press office had communicated that "creating American jobs" was part of the trip, a number of execs (Boeing, GE, etc.) were on AF1 with him, and this exactly the sort of announcement that is designed to create positive headlines back home in the U.S. for the President. While Mr. Trump is a little more open about "wheeling and dealing" than past office holders., the White House and U.S. Presidents are often highly involved in business deals that involve aviation with foreign gov'ts, particularly in the Middle East. Just as Obama, Bush, Clinton, old man Bush and Regan before him, trips to Saudi Arabia usually coincide with some large aviation and/or defense purchase by one of the national firms owned and or controlled by the al-Saud Royal Family.

11725Flyer

Sun May 21, 2017 9:54 pm

DTWLUVER wrote:
Glad they chose Boeing for sure.

Why?

JoeCanuck

Mon May 22, 2017 12:12 am

N717TW wrote:
nikeherc wrote:
SQ22 wrote:

I would argue that this announcement and the fact that Mr. Trump was there is connected and whole thing is very political. The White House's press office had communicated that "creating American jobs" was part of the trip, a number of execs (Boeing, GE, etc.) were on AF1 with him, and this exactly the sort of announcement that is designed to create positive headlines back home in the U.S. for the President. While Mr. Trump is a little more open about "wheeling and dealing" than past office holders., the White House and U.S. Presidents are often highly involved in business deals that involve aviation with foreign gov'ts, particularly in the Middle East. Just as Obama, Bush, Clinton, old man Bush and Regan before him, trips to Saudi Arabia usually coincide with some large aviation and/or defense purchase by one of the national firms owned and or controlled by the al-Saud Royal Family.

I agree completely. It's like trying to take the politics out of the Boeing/US government action against BBD or government ownership of airlines. It's certainly airliner related but it is also very political. The two won't always be exclusive and when the heads of the companies in question fly to the sales event with the American president, politics are definitely part of the deal.

In that vein, it is so refreshing to see Boeing going it all alone and not getting any government help with airliner sales.

jbs2886

Mon May 22, 2017 12:51 am

JoeCanuck wrote:
N717TW wrote:
nikeherc wrote:

I agree completely. It's like trying to take the politics out of the Boeing/US government action against BBD or government ownership of airlines. It's certainly airliner related but it is also very political. The two won't always be exclusive and when the heads of the companies in question fly to the sales event with the American president, politics are definitely part of the deal.

In that vein, it is so refreshing to see Boeing going it all alone and not getting any government help with airliner sales.

I discussed this above. But it was posts like "Trump did what Obama can't"; "Trump is a great negotiator!" etc. that are not appropriate. Of course what you are all saying are appropriate, but that's not really a political discussion, but rather a tangential topic of politics in discussing aircraft orders.

N717TW

Mon May 22, 2017 1:18 am

jbs2886 wrote:
JoeCanuck wrote:
N717TW wrote:

I discussed this above. But it was posts like "Trump did what Obama can't"; "Trump is a great negotiator!" etc. that are not appropriate. Of course what you are all saying are appropriate, but that's not really a political discussion, but rather a tangential topic of politics in discussing aircraft orders.

Gotcha and I agree. If we're going to have a real political discussion about a Saudi purchase, its beyond Trump vs. X...its really the chess game of global politics.

Mon May 22, 2017 1:22 am

There are many past examples of business leaders accompanying a President (or equivalent) from US, France, Germany, etc. on foreign trade missions, and those companies getting business as part of the trip. So, while there is a political link. It is a common political link for many industrialized countries of the world; and to me falls into "typical business practices". Just off my memory Obama took the the head of Harley Davidson (motorcycles) to I believe Japan along with an assortment of other business leaders from US companies the Japanese respected a few years ago. It was big news locally as I live somewhat near Milwaukee WI.

Have a great day,

behramjee

Mon May 22, 2017 4:58 am

another press release https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... er-437447/

This is a bad move for a brand new airline and would only lead to an early collapse due to the huge financial commitments involved plus having a diverse fleet of 3 different aircraft types in its first 5 years of operations of which the wide bodies are not warranted. This seems more of a PR stunt rather than anything else just to create some goodwill and brand recognition through the media.

behramjee

Mon May 22, 2017 10:55 am

Order is official now http://www.arabianbusiness.com/saudigul ... 74883.html but does not specify the type of aircraft selected but contract is signed as per the picture enclosed in the article and other stuff mentioned

3rdGen

Mon May 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Certainly Saudi Gulf has been pressured into doing this by their government. Why in earth would an airline that only opened up 7 months ago and serves 3 cities with four 320s order wide bodies?

Shows you how subservient the Gulf countries are to the US.

jbs2886

Mon May 22, 2017 2:30 pm

behramjee wrote:
Order is official now http://www.arabianbusiness.com/saudigul ... 74883.html but does not specify the type of aircraft selected but contract is signed as per the picture enclosed in the article and other stuff mentioned

Its still not an official order. The first paragraph of that link: "Damman-based carrier SaudiGulf has signed an agreement with Boeing to negotiate the acquisition of up to 16 widebody aircraft."

They've agreed to negotiate. That's it.

MoonC

Mon May 22, 2017 4:15 pm

To be fair to SaudiGulf, I know that they already wanted to get widebodies, a few A330-200s, to open up routes to Europe.
I don't know the exact number though, but I guess with this deal the A330s must be off the table now.

Clipper101

Thu May 25, 2017 1:43 pm

This has been showing for the last two days on CNBC Arabia news ticker (Sorry it is in Arabic, but I believe you can find a translator on the web):

http://cnbcarabia.com/news/view/28988/- ... غ-777.html

It is telling what SaudiGulf Airways CEO (Samer Majali) has said about the company is expecting to put the last touches on a deal to buy as much as 16 aircraft B777 by third quarter of this year for delivery from 2020. The fleet is to be used for flights to N. America, Europe & Asia, but this depends on availability of related flight permits. There is no mention to B787 in above article, it says however the airline is expected to raise its narrowbody fleet within next three years to between 26 - 30 aircraft.

KarelXWB

Mon May 29, 2017 8:19 am

Word is on the street that SaudiGulf and Boeing signed a MoU for 16 777-300ER aircraft (options included?). Deliveries to begin in late 2018. No 787s involved.

https://twitter.com/PlanesAtPaine/statu ... 7368523776

The777Man

Mon May 29, 2017 8:50 am

Thanks for the update!

Nice rending of the 777 in Saudi Gulf livery!

The777Man

behramjee

Tue May 30, 2017 6:32 am

Yes came on CNBC and Bloomberg TV too yesterday evening that the order is exclusively for 16 B77Ws.

TheLion

Tue May 30, 2017 9:01 am

Yes thanks for the info and indeed that is a nice rendering.

I would question the need for that many B77Ws as a launch order for an airline without long haul experience in a country that is showing signs of economic decline and fracture.

Unless they're looking to do an ME3, it's hard to see how they'd fill all those aircraft when Saudia already cover most bases with large widebodies.

Dutchy

Tue May 30, 2017 9:13 am

Boeing must have given them a nice deal, 16 end of the line slots. Well done.

Quite a seat boost for Saudi Gulf.

behramjee

Tue May 30, 2017 9:20 am

I expect a majority of these B77Ws to be high density configured i.e. 24J class seats maximum with flat beds and 420-430 in Y class (3-4-3) as it will be used on ISC/CGK/MNL/KUL/CAI flights in particular.

The777Man

Tue May 30, 2017 9:28 am

TheLion wrote:

I would question the need for that many B77Ws as a launch order for an airline without long haul experience in a country that is showing signs of economic decline and fracture.

Unless they're looking to do an ME3, it's hard to see how they'd fill all those aircraft when Saudia already cover most bases with large widebodies.

Perhaps they WILL try to do an ME3 like you said. They are based at DMM and perhaps they think they can get traffic to compete with the ME3 and even get some traffic to BAH which is very close. Perhaps they may even build or get their own terminal to make transfers easier ?

We'll see what happens.

The777Man

jalarner

Tue May 30, 2017 12:09 pm

3rdGen wrote:
Certainly Saudi Gulf has been pressured into doing this by their government. Why in earth would an airline that only opened up 7 months ago and serves 3 cities with four 320s order wide bodies?

Shows you how subservient the Gulf countries are to the US.

Don't forget they are going to be getting (16-24, can't find a confirmed number at the moment) CS300 as well, leased from Al Qahtani Aviation Company.

jbs2886

Tue May 30, 2017 2:09 pm

The777Man wrote:
TheLion wrote:

Perhaps they WILL try to do an ME3 like you said. They are based at DMM and perhaps they think they can get traffic to compete with the ME3 and even get some traffic to BAH which is very close. Perhaps they may even build or get their own terminal to make transfers easier ?

We'll see what happens.

The777Man

IIRC you can't drink on flights to/from Saudi Arabia (or at least on Saudi airlines) - that would be a huge issue if they wanted to compete with the ME3.

Either way, that's a lot of 77Ws, but glad to see more sold!

FlyingJhawk

Tue May 30, 2017 3:28 pm

I question what role, if any, Mr. Trump played in these deals. I suspect they would have gone through with or without his recent trip to the kingdom. The topic get's politicized when the deal is somehow linked to the trip.

Clipper101

Tue May 30, 2017 3:40 pm

Since these are for delivery from 2020 same time when B777X is in production we should expect these B77W to be from last overlapping production units which Boeing is eager to sell towards the closure of B77W line !

PW100

Tue May 30, 2017 3:52 pm

boefan wrote:

Dutchy wrote:
Boeing must have given them a nice deal, 16 end of the line slots. Well done.

KarelXWB wrote:
Word is on the street that SaudiGulf and Boeing signed a MoU for 16 777-300ER aircraft (options included?). Deliveries to begin in late 2018

Are any of these orders perhaps already on Boeing's orderbook, under customer "Unidentified"?
Just wondering if this may help to bridge the production gap to the 777X beyond what is already in the books.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos