dtw2hyd

Re: UA's ongoing PR issues

Tue May 16, 2017 12:29 am

UA has the lowest margins. For once it should listen to wall street and cut its network and close its hub.

There is no reason to have such vast network with 1.1% net margin and all the issues.

IPFreely

Tue May 16, 2017 12:40 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Delta has the worst record in the industry for ultra-late flights.

Holy buckets -- 45 flights that are over 12 hours late? If that's how Delta claims they're cancelling cancellations it's outright fraud.

CriticalPoint

Tue May 16, 2017 2:22 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
UA has the lowest margins. For once it should listen to wall street and cut its network and close its hub.

There is no reason to have such vast network with 1.1% net margin and all the issues.

What issues do you speak off? And which hub Mr. Arm Chair CEO

dtw2hyd

Tue May 16, 2017 10:22 am

Wasn't there a discussion about IAD closing.

viewtopic.php?t=573811

jumbojet

Tue May 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Oh, another PR disaster for United...Polaris. Announced over a year ago, and still only 3 or 4 birds in the entire United fleet that have all aisle access seating. Lets go United, get with the program. Unacceptable to a lot of United's highest paying customers and corporate clients. Promise a product and then don't deliver. That, is a PR disaster in its own right. Delta for example, is already starting its 2nd round of BE ultra elite, all aisle access seating. United, WAKE UP.

CriticalPoint

Tue May 16, 2017 2:34 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Oh, another PR disaster for United...Polaris. Announced over a year ago, and still only 3 or 4 birds in the entire United fleet that have all aisle access seating. Lets go United, get with the program. Unacceptable to a lot of United's highest paying customers and corporate clients. Promise a product and then don't deliver. That, is a PR disaster in its own right. Delta for example, is already starting its 2nd round of BE ultra elite, all aisle access seating. United, WAKE UP.

It will take even longer to sign a contract and ramp up production with someone other than Zodiac. Blame Zodiac not much United can do about the seats.

CriticalPoint

Tue May 16, 2017 3:13 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Wasn't there a discussion about IAD closing.

viewtopic.php?t=573811

There was never any discussion by the airline or anyone who makes decisions for United Airlines. It was just loud Wall Street analysts that want the airline to shrink to profitability and base their opinion off of how close IAD is to EWR. These analysts have no idea how to run an airline and look at the facts based off of money and not the operation.

dtw2hyd

Tue May 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Ok, even if one doesn't believe wall street analysts, why spread the misery through out the country with 1.1% net margin.

Right size and provide good service, in the process lose the bad apples.

United1

Tue May 16, 2017 3:35 pm

jumbojet wrote:

I'm assuming then you are just as annoyed at DL and feel they have a massive PR issue on their hands as the new DL One suite was announced in August of 2016 yet won't be on a single operational plane until October/November of 2017..15 months after being introduced to the public..perhaps DL should get with the program?

I'm not sure why you believe an airline can snap its fingers and finish a retrofit program in an instant.

DL took 10 years to remove all of the barco loungers from their international fleet (the 8 77Es were the only ones to have lie flats with or without AAA for years.)

AA still doesn't have lie flats on their entire fleet and won't until later this year when the 77E program is complete.

In 1999/2000 UA installed lie flat "pod" seats in F and launched a new J class recliner style seat.
In 2006 IPTE was rolled out...the first US airline with lie flats in F/J.
In 2010, with the merger, B/E Diamond seats were added to the mix.
In December of 2017 the first Polaris equipped aircraft was rolled out...6 months after being introduced to the public.
Last edited by United1 on Tue May 16, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

United1

Tue May 16, 2017 3:38 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Ok, even if one doesn't believe wall street analysts, why spread the misery through out the country with 1.1% net margin.

No company, or a smart investor, looks at a single quarter and feels they know the entire picture about their financial health...I would suggest you broaden your horizons a bit vs just trotting around a number.

P.S. listening to wall street may have contributed to their margin in Q1.
Last edited by United1 on Tue May 16, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

CriticalPoint

Tue May 16, 2017 3:40 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

See thats the problem what misery is United spreading throughout the country?

United provides great service. 99% completion factor nearly every month and the months they miss they are 98%. They led the big 4 in on time arrivals last month and are leading by a lot this month. And the months they didn't lead they fell to a close second behind DL. They offer first class and economy plus. You get meals, free entertainment and a clean aircraft. If you go to EWR from LAX/SFO you are guaranteed a lie flat seat in First class. 99% of the employees are friendly and professional, and you are on an airline with one of the best safety records in the world. You have access to one of, if not the best, route structures in the world and all star alliance.

Sounds like a great service to me........not sure what bad apples to eliminate.

ual777

Tue May 16, 2017 4:10 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

Please tell me you aren't basing UA's margin on the 1st quarter...
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

IPFreely

Tue May 16, 2017 4:14 pm

United1 wrote:
No company, or a smart investor, looks at a single quarter and feels they know the entire picture about their financial health...I would suggest you broaden your horizons a bit vs just trotting around a number.

Please stop responding to the troll. If people would just ignore him he will go away.

indcwby

More UA Woes; National Guard Soldier forced to pay bag fees

Fri May 19, 2017 8:59 pm

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-ne ... 0202-story

I know some of you will argue that policy is policy. But in light of the latest backlash from the news and social media outlets, you would think someone would make the call here.

DC1979

Re: More UA Woes; National Guard Soldier forced to pay bag fees

Fri May 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Why should they? I don't think United should just allow everything to slide now. Should they just toss out all the rules? You're absolutely right...policy is policy. It either applies to everyone or it doesn't at all. The military already gets a generous baggage allowance. They're not entitled to more just because. If you don't follow the rules, then expect to pay.

pprrff

Fri May 19, 2017 9:12 pm

The weight restriction is lower than that of other airlines (100lbs) but they do allow $50 bags up to 99.9lbs for media, not sure why they can't extend the same limit.

777Mech

Fri May 19, 2017 9:23 pm

indcwby wrote:
http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/255030202-story

I know some of you will argue that policy is policy. But in light of the latest backlash from the news and social media outlets, you would think someone would make the call here.

Having served in the Air Force and traveled frequently, this is the complete wrong way of doing things on the half of the soldier.
The DoD will reimburse you for any expenses you incur while traveling, and that includes bag fees. It's a simple form you fill out and you'll get your money back.
Hopefully the Army will make this guy push for his stupidity.

berari

Fri May 19, 2017 9:30 pm

This sense of entitlement that everyone feels must stop. And these petty airlines stories must also stop. It's like every news outlet is waiting for the next juicy airline story. The Lieutenant's career choices have nothing to do with the airline's policy or his want to skirt limits, his bags were overweight and he has to pay. If he has a mechanism to get reimbursement, he goes gets it, especially given that it is combat gear he is carrying.

IIRC in some parts of the world, bags' maximum weights were set because of occupational and safety rules. Just because he served overseas does not exempt him from it.

777PHX

Fri May 19, 2017 9:33 pm

He sounds like he just wants to get his picture in the paper.

Buddy, the service reimburses you for this. Stop acting like you're this poor, persecuted soul because you don't understand the standard procedures.

b747400erf

Fri May 19, 2017 9:57 pm

indcwby wrote:
http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/255030202-story

And they go around calling others "entitled"

910A

Fri May 19, 2017 11:21 pm

I served in the early 1970's and I for one is really tired of these current active duty service members with their entitled mentality. For goodness sake, this clown is an 0-2 therefore he could easily paid the bill and get reimbursed by the DOD, it's not like he is private is isn't making any money..

theasianguy

Unruly Passenger Carried off United Flight 87 PVG-EWR

Tue May 23, 2017 7:47 am

Seriously, there are so many messed up people in this world today. Second time this flight has made headlines involving unruly passengers. This time, it is an American.

http://shanghaiist.com/2017/05/23/trump ... -delay.php

http://time.com/4789171/donald-trump-ha ... w_facebook
Last edited by atcsundevil on Tue May 23, 2017 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited title

OneSexyL1011

Re: Unruly Trump Supporter Carried off United Flight 87 PVG-EWR

Tue May 23, 2017 7:57 am

Him wearing that hat had nothing to do with this story. That was the only thing trump related about it.

Sensationalist click bait article.

CriticalPoint

Re: Unruly Passenger Carried off United Flight 87 PVG-EWR

Tue May 23, 2017 4:23 pm

theasianguy wrote:
Seriously, there are so many messed up people in this world today. Second time this flight has made headlines involving unruly passengers. This time, it is an American.

http://shanghaiist.com/2017/05/23/trump ... -delay.php

http://time.com/4789171/donald-trump-ha ... w_facebook

The public is getting exactly what it has asked for. How many flights now in the last month and a half have been completely deplaned to remove 1 passenger?

Long delays are stacking up and now we have atleast 1 diversion that could have been avoided. the passengers all of the sudden aren't mad at the airlines they are mad at the idiot.......I hope you like this new way of doing business.

Yflyer

Re: Unruly Trump Supporter Carried off United Flight 87 PVG-EWR

Tue May 23, 2017 4:30 pm

OneSexyL1011 wrote:
Him wearing that hat had nothing to do with this story. That was the only thing trump related about it.

He called another passenger "Hillary" as if he considered that an insult. I'd call that Trump related.

727LOVER

Sat May 27, 2017 6:17 pm

United's dragging incident pulls down carrier's brand perception to historic lows

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news ... yptr=yahoo
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

CriticalPoint

Sat May 27, 2017 6:24 pm

727LOVER wrote:
United's dragging incident pulls down carrier's brand perception to historic lows

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news ... yptr=yahoo

And skyrockets their stock, bookings, and load factors to record levels.

AirbusMDCFAN

United apologizes after video shows employee pushing 71-year-old passenger to floor

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Link/Source: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/united ... spartandhp

"United Airlines issued an apology Tuesday after a video was released of a Houston-based employee pushing a 71-year-old passenger to the floor during an argument over a ticket. The man was left lying there motionless."
"The confrontation took place about two years ago but was detailed in a lawsuit filed last week in Harris County, Tex. The airline is still facing fallout over an incident with David Dao, a passenger who was violently dragged off a flight in Chicago in April."

The incident happened 2 years ago, but is making it's way into the courts, and the video just released. This can not bode well for United while trying to re-establish it's image.

BG777300ER

Re: United apologizes after video shows employee pushing 71-year-old passenger to floor

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:15 pm

1) I honestly think threads like this should not be allowed in this forum...too much speculation/not really related to AVIATION...this is something more for Flyertalk
As described at the top of this forum:
"Discussions about FACTUAL events happening in the airline and general aviation industries. If it's happening in commercial aviation, you'll get the information and opinions here first."
I'd classify this as the "customer service" industry, not aviation industry as I (IMHO) see it..
2) I don't see any clear push being depicted in the video, therefore this is all speculation
3) I don't see this thread going anywhere good.
Last edited by BG777300ER on Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatibosgru

Re: United apologizes after video shows employee pushing 71-year-old passenger to floor

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:16 pm

BG777300ER wrote:
2) I don't see any clear push being depicted in the video, therefore this is all speculation

I think it's pretty evident eh was pushed.
@mbl06

mjoelnir

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:27 pm

The UA staff, "Anastasia was later charged with a felony of injuring an elderly individual, KPRC reported. He was fined and ordered to attend anger-management classes and apologize to Tigner."

OA412
Crew

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:36 pm

While this happened two years ago, UA just issued the apology after video surfaced, therefore it is current and relevant. That said, continued childish insults and off topic posts will result in this topic being locked and bans being issued. Please engage respectfully.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

sw733

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:49 pm

BG777300ER wrote:
1) I honestly think threads like this should not be allowed in this forum...too much speculation/not really related to AVIATION...this is something more for Flyertalk
"Discussions about FACTUAL events happening in the airline and general aviation industries. If it's happening in commercial aviation, you'll get the information and opinions here first."
I'd classify this as the "customer service" industry, not aviation industry as I (IMHO) see it..

1) It's factual, and it's about one of the largest airlines in the world. It's happening in commercial aviation, OP got the information and we're sharing our opinions here first
2) I'd recommend an optometrist visit
3) Probably not.

BobPatterson

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:56 pm

BG777300ER wrote:

Would you agree that "Civil Aviation" covers all aspects of passenger air travel from the booking of flights to arrival at destinations, and all matters such as customer service, handling of luggage, and so forth?

Perhaps if all that interests you is technical aspects of aviation, another forum at a.net might better suit you.

The injured man seen in the video, out cold and unattended by airline staff, does not look to me to be the result of a photo-shopped video. Surely you would agree that we are viewing a factual event, something that really happened.

Why not discuss it? Or just ignore the thread if it is of no interest to you.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

DesertFlyer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:03 pm

This is really awful to watch. I'm glad the employee was criminally charged. Can you imagine if that was your parent or grandparent pushed to the ground like that? Ugh, just awful.

xxcr

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:23 pm

BG777300ER wrote:

are you kidding? you dont see any pushing??? its a clear video!!! it shows very clearly who's being pushed and whos doing the pushing!!!

Pretty sure someone is about to get fired or fined!!

ChrisKen

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:53 pm

BG777300ER wrote:
sw733 wrote:
I commented that the video does not clearly depict it. Would I be my life that he pushed him after watching this video, no. He could've accidentally ran into him.

Slo-mo around the 20 second mark makes it utterly clear, complete with thrusting arms, the cause and the effect.

BestWestern

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Why do people defend the indefensible?

This is symptomatic of the state of service in the US aviation industry, where service culture simply doesn't exist. A lot of this fault lies with airline management not leading by example and instilling a service mentality into staff.

It's somewhat symptomatic of modern US lack of respect for the elderly.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

exunited

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:53 am

Sorry, if someone is arguing with me then tries to go behind me while I am looking forward, that is a threatening act and will not be allowed, in fact try that with a cop sometime and let me know how it ends up after you are released from the hospital. Without audio this footage has no context but please continue with your outrage at something without full info.

mjoelnir

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:05 pm

exunited wrote:
Sorry, if someone is arguing with me then tries to go behind me while I am looking forward, that is a threatening act and will not be allowed, in fact try that with a cop sometime and let me know how it ends up after you are released from the hospital. Without audio this footage has no context but please continue with your outrage at something without full info.

The UA staff pushing the 70 year old man has been charged, judged and fined.

If the 70 year old had landed in hospital with more serious injuries we would have read about a prison sentence.
Nobody asked you to judge the footage, a court of law has already done that.

Aptivaboy

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:08 pm

If the 70 year old had landed in hospital with more serious injuries we would have read about a prison sentence.

Very true. Exunited, from your user name I can guess that you're a former United employee, perhaps? If so, I can more than understand your loyalty to your former employer which I can completely respect. However, mjoelnir is completely correct. Even without audio, a court of law experienced no troubles evaluating the tape and assessing guilt or innocence. What the United employee, Mr. Anastasia, did was inexcusable. Even if the 70 year old man was being verbally abusive, of which we've seen no direct evidence, shoving him to the ground and then leaving him there without medical care was inexcusable and in no way can be defended, and supports the plaintiffs position that the United employee and his fellows didn't care, didn't want to help, and acted intentionally and maliciously.

I've experienced both good and bad treatment from UAL employees. Usually, the treatment is simply marginal. For every funny, outstanding gate agent I've met like the hilarious gal at LAX there has been a sullen, angry, bitter red coat like the guy in Houston who snapped at everyone while dealing with a weather delay, and literally called us all stupid. No joke. No business is totally populated by angels. It's just that UAL seems to have more than it's share of - shall we call them, less than helpful folks. As a former UAL frequent flyer (former due to financial issues, not because I despise UAL), I really hope that United can improve it's culture and change the way it interacts with the flying public. Until then, issues and events like these will be in the news and will need to be addressed by Oscar.

By the way, does anyone else find it odd that UAL only apologized after the tape became public? You see, exunited, this is also why some people don't like UAL. Being proactive and getting ahead of the curve would lessen the disgust the public has with United, instead of waiting two years to issue a simple apology.

Bob

backseatdriver

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:01 pm

It's possible there are a whole litany of lawsuits in progress with the airline, which in itself is quite normal for any large corporation. While I'm typically not one to defend UA, I can certainly understand why they are not coming out and apologizing for what could be tens or hundreds of cases like this over the years that are either still in the court system or have been settled and parties have moved on. It just doesn't make sense from a PR or a business perspective.

jnev3289

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm gonna venture a guess there aren't a litany of videos showing employees shoving down elderly passengers. No one is suggesting an instant apology for every single passenger who feels slighted, just common sense

exunited

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:44 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
exunited wrote:

Please show me where it says anyone has been "judged". It says he paid a fine which is typical for a minor infraction and no longer works for UA. This is all about shyster lawyers seeing the open ATM machine and looking for a payday via the media.

exunited

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:47 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:

Very true. Exunited, from your user name I can guess that you're a former United employee, perhaps? If so, I can more than understand your loyalty to your former employer which I can completely respect. However, mjoelnir is completely correct. Even without audio, a court of law experienced no troubles evaluating the tape and assessing guilt or innocence. What the United employee, Mr. Anastasia, did was inexcusable. Even if the 70 year old man was being verbally abusive, of which we've seen no direct evidence, shoving him to the ground and then leaving him there without medical care was inexcusable and in no way can be defended, and supports the plaintiffs position that the United employee and his fellows didn't care, didn't want to help, and acted intentionally and maliciously.

I've experienced both good and bad treatment from UAL employees. Usually, the treatment is simply marginal. For every funny, outstanding gate agent I've met like the hilarious gal at LAX there has been a sullen, angry, bitter red coat like the guy in Houston who snapped at everyone while dealing with a weather delay, and literally called us all stupid. No joke. No business is totally populated by angels. It's just that UAL seems to have more than it's share of - shall we call them, less than helpful folks. As a former UAL frequent flyer (former due to financial issues, not because I despise UAL), I really hope that United can improve it's culture and change the way it interacts with the flying public. Until then, issues and events like these will be in the news and will need to be addressed by Oscar.

By the way, does anyone else find it odd that UAL only apologized after the tape became public? You see, exunited, this is also why some people don't like UAL. Being proactive and getting ahead of the curve would lessen the disgust the public has with United, instead of waiting two years to issue a simple apology.

Bob

Show me also where anyone was "evaluated by the court of law". He paid a fine for an infraction and was fired, end of hoopla. People get pushed daily by McDonalds employees and the local garbage men but that doesn't seem to make the news, why not? Please don't tell me this is somehow different, it's all about the hype and gettin paid.

Junction

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:51 pm

By the way, does anyone else find it odd that UAL only apologized after the tape became public?

Bob

At first this seems like a simple legitimate question, but now I'm trying to understand what exactly corporate PR at UA could have done different in this case. Would we expect UA to have made a public apology two years ago prior to the incident being reported by media from the newly pending lawsuit?

mjoelnir

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:02 pm

exunited wrote:
Aptivaboy wrote:

Bob

Show me also where anyone was "evaluated by the court of law". He paid a fine for an infraction and was fired, end of hoopla. People get pushed daily by McDonalds employees and the local garbage men but that doesn't seem to make the news, why not? Please don't tell me this is somehow different, it's all about the hype and gettin paid.

And who did fine him Father Christmas? :sarcastic:

You appear in front of a judge and he does fine you. And for the persons that do not know that, that is done in a court of law.

Blimpie

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Blame can be placed all ya want on the airline or its company culture, but at the end of the day, no amount of train or social engineering or reeducation is going to change human nature. People are people and they're going to do what they do regardless if they are in an airline uniform or a purple unitard and fake Groucho Marx glasses; no different that dogs will be dogs, cats will be cats or chupacabras will be chupacabras.

In other UA complaint news: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-airline-complaints-20170614-story.html
Real men fly without wings!

CriticalPoint

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Blimpie wrote:
Blame can be placed all ya want on the airline or its company culture, but at the end of the day, no amount of train or social engineering or reeducation is going to change human nature. People are people and they're going to do what they do regardless if they are in an airline uniform or a purple unitard and fake Groucho Marx glasses; no different that dogs will be dogs, cats will be cats or chupacabras will be chupacabras.

In other UA complaint news: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-airline-complaints-20170614-story.html

Agree with your post.

However I wouldn't call that article "UA complaint news" as it is about all US airlines not just United.

"The biggest number of complaints filed in April were against American Airlines (324), followed by Delta Air Lines (297) and United (265), the federal report said. Low-cost carrier Spirit Airline had the highest rate of complaints, 7.2 complaints for every 100,000 passengers, compared with 3.04 complaints for every 100,000 passengers for United Airlines."

It would appear United is actually doing better than all of the big 3 in the complaint compartment. Nice job United!

BobPatterson

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Blimpie wrote:

Human nature or behavior is not monolithic. One finds in humanity a broad range of dispositions and behaviors.

An airline (or any business) can carefully select the people they hire and thereby avoid having many of the bad actors on their payrolls.

Constant evaluation of those that are hired will further reduce the problem.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos