Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FriscoHeavy

Re: Delta to issue RFP for up to 150 Narrowbodies

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:40 pm

micstatic wrote:
I hope they don't pick the 737. Terrible airplane for customers

The same can be said for the A320 series. It's about how it's configured, not the plane itself.

jbs2886

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:44 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
micstatic wrote:

The same can be said for the A320 series. It's about how it's configured, not the plane itself.

The complaint is that the 737 is slightly narrower and, thus, worse. While true it is slightly narrower, I find that position ridiculous that it makes the plane "terrible" for passengers as compared to the A320 series. Its a marginal difference at best for each passenger. I fly plenty of A321s and 737s on AA, and don't feel the difference. We just have too many a.net posters that make exaggerated and obnoxious comments like this.

MrBretz

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:46 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
micstatic wrote:

FirscoHeavy is correct. I love UA's 737-900 in premium economy. I hate the A320 with slimline seats further back in economy. So it depends on how the plane is configured and where you sit. Also, you might add it, it depends if it is a short flight or a cross country trip.

Polot

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:00 pm

All of DL's domestic planes in Y suck (or will once reconfigured). Don't let the shiny PTVs, new bins, and mood lighting fool you, DL loves packing them in no matter if it Airbus or Boeing.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:12 pm

tphuang wrote:
Interesting suggestion from that article. Boeing dropping c series complaint as part of getting this order.

Which is also a win for Airbus. They don't have to invest in a US based factory to build the C-series.

KarelXWB

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:13 pm

marcelh wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Interesting suggestion from that article. Boeing dropping c series complaint as part of getting this order.

Which is also a win for Airbus. They don't have to invest in a US based factory to build the C-series.

It was Bombardier who had to pay for the US based factory.

Polot

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:17 pm

C series at Mobile will probably happen no matter what. Likely cheaper to produce (lower wages) there then at Mirabel, and gets Airbus a C series FAL completely out of BBD's hair when/if they acquire the whole program.

Dropping the tariff complaints would likely just push back the timeline some for the Mobile production though.

bgm

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:22 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
micstatic wrote:

A320 series has wider seats & cabin, higher placed windows, and less cabin noise. Yes, it is noticeable! I've taken hundreds of flights on both aircraft types, on many different airlines, and the A320 is generally a more comfortable ride.

Peculiar that most of the posters defending the 737 seem to originate from one country... hmmm :scratchchin:

tphuang

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:27 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
micstatic wrote:

The complaint is that the 737 is slightly narrower and, thus, worse. While true it is slightly narrower, I find that position ridiculous that it makes the plane "terrible" for passengers as compared to the A320 series. Its a marginal difference at best for each passenger. I fly plenty of A321s and 737s on AA, and don't feel the difference. We just have too many a.net posters that make exaggerated and obnoxious comments like this.

So if it makes no difference, then why do airlines have fewer seats per row for premium economy? Surely, if 17.5 to 18.5 inch width provides no improvement, then they should just go with longer pitch and no width change.

Aa has a very narrowly configured a321 and 737. Even the mce seats are unbearable on 737.
Last edited by tphuang on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbs2886

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:27 pm

bgm wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
micstatic wrote:

A320 series has wider seats & cabin, higher placed windows, and less cabin noise. Yes, it is noticeable! I've taken hundreds of flights on both aircraft types, on many different airlines, and the A320 is generally a more comfortable ride.

Peculiar that most of the posters defending the 737 seem to originate from one country... hmmm :scratchchin:

Yes, the 737 is indefensible. Those hundreds of airlines operating them are doing so to the detriment of their passengers. And all the Americans defending the 737 are just nationalists. Come on now. :roll:

jbs2886

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:31 pm

tphuang wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

So if it makes no difference, then why do airlines have fewer seats per row for premium economy? Surely, if 17.5 to 18.5 inch width provides no improvement, then they should just go with longer pitch and no width change.

Aa has a very narrowly configured a321 and 737. Even the mce seats are unbearable on 737.

This makes no sense. To the extent you are illogically extending my argument by intending to argue that width never matters, that is absurd - by that extension, lets just get rid of business and first. I have said the difference in seat width on the 737 and A320 series is negligible. Yes, it can be better on an A320, but it does not make the 737 "terrible".

Also, where did I say "no difference"? I didn't. I said it is a marginal difference at best and that I do not feel the difference on the aircraft. If your comment is to what I feel, you can't disprove my experience. You can certainly have a different experience, but stop twisting my comments.
Last edited by jbs2886 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tphuang

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:35 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

This makes no sense. MCE on A321s and 737s have the same seats per row (6).

Also, where did I say "no difference"? I didn't. I said it is a marginal difference at best and that I do not feel the difference on the aircraft. If your comment is to what I feel, you can't disprove my experience.

First paragraph refers to 777 and 350 where airlines have one less seat per row in pe. Seats end up 1 inch wider. If it's no big deal to have this one inch wider seat, then why do airlines do it on their premium economy cabin?

I agree with you that everyone has their own experience on whether or not they feel difference. So maybe calling fellow members obnoxious for saying that they do feel difference is not the right approach here.

StTim

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:35 pm

I flew in 737-700 sitting behind the wing this morning. Comfortable ride. Ok I had my earbuds in all the time.

jbs2886

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:37 pm

tphuang wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Also, where did I say "no difference"? I didn't. I said it is a marginal difference at best and that I do not feel the difference on the aircraft. If your comment is to what I feel, you can't disprove my experience.

First paragraph refers to 777 and 350 where airlines have one less seat per row in pe. Seats end up 1 inch wider. If it's no big deal to have this one inch wider seat, then why do airlines do it on their premium economy cabin?

I agree with you that everyone has their own experience on whether or not they feel difference. So maybe calling fellow members obnoxious for saying that they do feel difference is not the right approach here.

Maybe you should reread my post, I never said a poster was obnoxious. I said a post that the 737 is "terrible" for passengers is obnoxious. There is a difference. Further, I clearly indicated my comment was based on my experience, that poster did not. Instead, it was a generalized statement that the 737 is terrible.

alfa164

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:50 pm

tphuang wrote:

But Boeing dropping the complaint doesn't necessarily mean the U.S. government would drop its investigation - especially with the unpredictable administration in charge now.

seabosdca

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:28 pm

I still see a split order as a possibility here, based on the respective products. 100 A321neo to replace the 82 remaining domestic-configured 757s and a few growth MD replacements, and 100+ 737 MAX 8 to replace the remaining MDs (both 88 and 90) and the older A320s.

I think people are dwelling too much on the C-series issue. Yes, I'm sure Delta and Boeing management will discuss it. But I don't think it will affect ordering strategy. If Delta allowed that, it would give Airbus considerable pricing power. Delta is not into giving OEMs pricing power, to put it mildly.

JetBuddy

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:57 pm

alfa164 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

But Boeing dropping the complaint doesn't necessarily mean the U.S. government would drop its investigation - especially with the unpredictable administration in charge now.

As the article states, Boeing dropping the complaints will in some form or another lead to the investigation dropping as well. This is because Boeing is a one company US industry, and the Trump administration would do what Boeing thought was the best option. If Boeing doesn't want tariffs anymore, there won't be any. At least that's the theory.

micstatic

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:12 am

jbs2886 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
micstatic wrote:

With all due respect. I fly 70 flights a year on Delta. I can most certainly discern the difference between airbus and Boeing seat width. I get on an airbus narrowbody without that unsettling Boeing feeling. Maybe obnoxious to you. But Like going to a bad restaurant, I know when the food sucks.

1989worstyear

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:48 am

seabosdca wrote:
I still see a split order as a possibility here, based on the respective products. 100 A321neo to replace the 82 remaining domestic-configured 757s and a few growth MD replacements, and 100+ 737 MAX 8 to replace the remaining MDs (both 88 and 90) and the older A320s.

I think people are dwelling too much on the C-series issue. Yes, I'm sure Delta and Boeing management will discuss it. But I don't think it will affect ordering strategy. If Delta allowed that, it would give Airbus considerable pricing power. Delta is not into giving OEMs pricing power, to put it mildly.

Quite likely - but I see the 757's and A320's being removed at the same time. The two fleets are about the same age (early 90's to mid 2000's).

many321

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:51 am

Perhaps this should give us a clue were Delta might be going. There's a report that Delta is passing some of its C-Series Jets to AM while this tariff fiasco continues on. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/aeromexi ... 12124.html

Either, they're trying to appease Boeing or go for a long protracted war with them if they go with Airbus until the spat is over.

FriscoHeavy

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:26 am

micstatic wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

With all due respect. I fly 70 flights a year on Delta. I can most certainly discern the difference between airbus and Boeing seat width. I get on an airbus narrowbody without that unsettling Boeing feeling. Maybe obnoxious to you. But Like going to a bad restaurant, I know when the food sucks.

Unsettling... c’mon. No need to be so dramatic. It’s the configuration, not the plane. I’ve been on countless 737s more comfortable than an A320 series.

Conversely, I’ve been on comfortable 320s that are more comfy than 737s. It’s a well built plane and no, that one extra inch doesn’t alter your comfort and make the 737 a bad plane.

So many dramatic folks on here. I enjoy aviation and thus, both planes. Happy to fly either at any time.

airliner371

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:25 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
It’s a well built plane and no, that one extra inch doesn’t alter your comfort and make the 737 a bad plane.

Does it make the 737 a bad plane? No. I don't think anyone is suggesting that, but it certainly affects comfort. Think of a morbidly obese person, I'm sure an extra inch would make this person just a little bit less uncomfortable in a tight seat.

That said, very few people would know that the 320 has more width and nearly no one would pay a premium for that extra inch, so it really doesn't matter anyway. But to say an inch doesn't affect comfort is just incorrect.

FriscoHeavy wrote:
I enjoy aviation and thus, both planes. Happy to fly either at any time.

Because you enjoy aviation, you enjoy both planes. Conversely, based on your statement, someone could say I don't enjoy aviation and thus, I don't enjoy both planes (and presumably wouldn't enjoy the one with an inch of less room).

I'm a 737 fan myself but to say that an inch doesn't alter comfort warranted this response.

JAAlbert

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:43 am

bgm wrote:

Probably because the 737 is all over the place in that one country ;)

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:04 am

JAAlbert wrote:
bgm wrote:

Could be The Netherlands :rotfl:

Waterbomber

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:09 am

Airbus' A320NEO order books must be pretty much full until 2025 and Boeing's until 2024-2025.

I think that if DL can wait until 2021, they could launch the CS500.

The first deliveries of the CS100 are a quarter away and these will be built in Canada, so the tariffs apply.
It makes sense to send those first deliveries to AM.

Once the deal with Airbus is closed, the Mobile assembly line should be built and churning out aircraft within a year.
So I think that the first DL deliveries for the CS100 should not be before well into 2019 and that any units produced before that would go to AM or could be leased out to other airlines.

Regarding this RFP though, I think that Boeing would have to cut DL a very sweet UA type deal on MAX deliveries to get back in the game. Something in the 25-30 USD million range.
I'm pretty sure BBD and Airbus will be happy to offer the CS300 at around that price point and perhaps even launch the CS500 with a decent commitment.

The way I see it, Delta could replace its entire MD80/MD90 line-up with CS300/CS500, with options on further deliveries to replace B737NG's, deferring the CS100 deliveries until the time comes to replace the B717's. The A321 and B739ER's would replace the domestic B757-200's.
This is the golden opportunity for the Cseries.

rbavfan

Re: Delta to issue RFP for up to 150 Narrowbodies?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:30 am

scbriml wrote:
tlecam wrote:
I wonder which existing fleet replacements they're going after? They have 321 and 739's on order, along with the CS100. This seems to be targeting the 150-160 seat gauge?

This RFP will be DL's first order for 'next gen' narrowbodies, so either neo or MAX.

Wasn't the CS100 the first "next gen" order for Delta?

flymco753

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:46 pm

I’m pretty set on DL wanting to order the A321NEO for long haul, I’m not talking about domestic either we’re talking JFK-Western Europe, ATL-Northern South America, etc. The 757s can shift back to domestic flying at that point.

DeSpringbokke

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:05 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I’m pretty set on DL wanting to order the A321NEO for long haul, I’m not talking about domestic either we’re talking JFK-Western Europe, ATL-Northern South America, etc. The 757s can shift back to domestic flying at that point.

You mean they'll make an order for the A321 NEO LR? With no order from any of the US3, that should tell you there is scepticism over whether it could do NYC-Western Europe. NYC-British Isles/Portugal, yeah shouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure this RFP will be an order for an international 757 replacement but rather the domestic 757s, A320s.

william

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Waterbomber wrote:
Airbus' A320NEO order books must be pretty much full until 2025 and Boeing's until 2024-2025.

I think that if DL can wait until 2021, they could launch the CS500.

The first deliveries of the CS100 are a quarter away and these will be built in Canada, so the tariffs apply.
It makes sense to send those first deliveries to AM.

Once the deal with Airbus is closed, the Mobile assembly line should be built and churning out aircraft within a year.
So I think that the first DL deliveries for the CS100 should not be before well into 2019 and that any units produced before that would go to AM or could be leased out to other airlines.

Regarding this RFP though, I think that Boeing would have to cut DL a very sweet UA type deal on MAX deliveries to get back in the game. Something in the 25-30 USD million range.
I'm pretty sure BBD and Airbus will be happy to offer the CS300 at around that price point and perhaps even launch the CS500 with a decent commitment.

The way I see it, Delta could replace its entire MD80/MD90 line-up with CS300/CS500, with options on further deliveries to replace B737NG's, deferring the CS100 deliveries until the time comes to replace the B717's. The A321 and B739ER's would replace the domestic B757-200's.
This is the golden opportunity for the Cseries.

And you think Delta would only expect a deal like that from Boeing? Not Airbus?

tlecam

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:47 pm

This is stating the obvious, but DL is going to use all the leverage they have with both Boeing and Airbus to get the best deal that they can. The Boeing involvement with the C Series and the tariffs is another lever at play in the deal, and there are a lot of ways that they can pull that lever. There is no way that in a duopoly, Delta will "punish" Boeing by taking less favorable financials from Airbus, in my opinion.

aerolimani

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:47 pm

tlecam wrote:
This is stating the obvious, but DL is going to use all the leverage they have with both Boeing and Airbus to get the best deal that they can. The Boeing involvement with the C Series and the tariffs is another lever at play in the deal, and there are a lot of ways that they can pull that lever. There is no way that in a duopoly, Delta will "punish" Boeing by taking less favorable financials from Airbus, in my opinion.

Indeed. The CSeries "lever" could be used to squeeze cheap pricing from Boeing. Subsequently, that could be used to squeeze Airbus. The high profile nature of the BBD tariff case puts everybody in the spotlight; Boeing, Delta, and Airbus. The ultimate winner will be Delta, no matter which manufacturer wins the RFP.

SteelChair

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:50 pm

aerolimani wrote:
The ultimate winner will be Delta, no matter which manufacturer wins the RFP.

The ultimate winner will be the customers.

Bricktop

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:17 pm

JAAlbert wrote:
bgm wrote:

And what aircraft family do Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant have in common? hmmm :scratchchin: You can have a shitty experience or a pleasant experience on A and B. To keep insisting otherwise is borderline trolling.

tlecam wrote:

Correct! DL is goint to use every angle they can, and rightly so. I predict a split order of MAX8 and A321neos will happen. I won't wager as to weighting.

Bricktop

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:20 pm

SteelChair wrote:
aerolimani wrote:
The ultimate winner will be Delta, no matter which manufacturer wins the RFP.

The ultimate winner will be the customers.

:rotfl: Who? The guy who pays for the party? I do find your naivety refreshing, though. ;)

cheapgreek

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:34 pm

tphuang wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Quote, "If it's no big deal to have this one inch wider seat, then why do airlines do it on their premium economy cabin?" Its a marketing ploy, airlines never say how much wider the seat will be, that would defeating the purpose of charging for a so called upgrade.

ADrum23

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Why not both the 737 MAX and the A320neo? AA put in an order for 100 of both, why can't DL. Both would fit in quite well with DL's fleet.

seabosdca

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:38 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Why not both the 737 MAX and the A320neo? AA put in an order for 100 of both, why can't DL. Both would fit in quite well with DL's fleet.

If they split the order, I think they will concentrate on the variant of each family that is in the strongest competitive position. For the A320neo family, that's the A321neo. For the 737 MAX family, that's the MAX 8. There's not much incentive for either the airline or the OEM to try to change that equation.

If one OEM or the other wins the order outright, that's a different story. A straight Airbus order would no doubt feature a big chunk of A320neos, and a straight Boeing order would likewise include a bunch of MAX 10.

flyabr

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Anyone know when this order will be finalized? 2017, 2018??

jbs2886

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 pm

flyabr wrote:

A decision hasn't even been announced, I doubt anyone can predict when it will be finalized.

Prost

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Is there an advantage to ordering planes in smaller tranches than UA or AA (or Lion et al) do? A 150 plane deal doesn’t get the headlines that a 400 plane deal gets, but in the end, does it matter?

cledaybuck

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:13 pm

seabosdca wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

If they split the order, I think they will concentrate on the variant of each family that is in the strongest competitive position. For the A320neo family, that's the A321neo. For the 737 MAX family, that's the MAX 8. There's not much incentive for either the airline or the OEM to try to change that equation.

If one OEM or the other wins the order outright, that's a different story. A straight Airbus order would no doubt feature a big chunk of A320neos, and a straight Boeing order would likewise include a bunch of MAX 10.
We are talking about DL, right? The airline that ordered both the 739 and A321? The airline whose current narrowbody fleet consists of 73G, 738, 739, A319, A320, A321, MD-88, MD90, 717, 752, and 753 with the C series on order? I don't think you can count out any combination of MAX 8,10, A320NEO, and A321NEO.

flyabr

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
flyabr wrote:

A decision hasn't even been announced, I doubt anyone can predict when it will be finalized.

My bad, that's what i meant, when will DL announce a decision. :oops:

DL757NYC

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:39 pm

No surprise here Delta has hundreds of planes 20 plus years old. Between the MD-80/90 and the 757 many are 25 plus years old.

Stitch

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Prost wrote:
Is there an advantage to ordering planes in smaller tranches than UA or AA (or Lion et al) do? A 150 plane deal doesn’t get the headlines that a 400 plane deal gets, but in the end, does it matter?

You spend a fair bit less money while still generally getting very favorable pricing.

scbriml

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:29 pm

flyabr wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
flyabr wrote:

My bad, that's what i meant, when will DL announce a decision. :oops:

My understanding is that the decision will be announced next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QXAS

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:38 pm

As a window seat guy, I prefer the 737 to the A320. The side walls feel much tighter to the seat whereas on the 737 I can lean into the side wall comfortably. I’m also short so the window height doesn’t bother me. Also the sky interior really does make a difference. The cabin feels way more spacious even with the larger space bins installed. I haven’t flown on an A320 family aircraft with the new bins so I don’t know how those change the feel of the interior. From a general passenger perspective, it really is a wash. DLs 739 is hell in the sky, we’ve all beaten that horse to death. But UAs 739 really is a great airplane. And 737 tends to be more generous with pitch. It really comes down to personal preference and airline configuration, whether you prefer pitch or width, and I’m tempted to believe that most passengers don’t care much about window height either because most passengers close their windows. I hope that whatever DL chooses they see the light and install a mid cabin lav.

carljanderson

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 pm

flyabr wrote:

Isn't Delta's investor day next week? If there will be an announcement, I predict it will be the day before the investor presentation.

flymco753

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:25 am

I'm still hoping on an AirbusNEO program, I simply don't like the 737 and the way DL operates them from the cargo bins to the cabin.

Dalmd88

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:27 am

flyabr wrote:

We heard from the VP of TechOps that they expect to announce before the end of the year. Like others have guessed, the investor call would be a good bet.

777Mech

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:50 am

Dalmd88 wrote:
flyabr wrote:

We heard from the VP of TechOps that they expect to announce before the end of the year. Like others have guessed, the investor call would be a good bet.

Should be on Monday morning.