flightsimer

Re: Oldest Liveries Still In Use?

Thu May 18, 2017 1:08 am

infinit wrote:
sspontak wrote:
vhtje wrote:

No, the former AA scheme was introduced in 1968, the design dating from 1967.

http://www.askthepilot.com/american-air ... ew-livery/

So does AA take the win with a late 60's introduction with the livery still flying on MD-80's?

No, because it is only on a small fleet that hasn't been repainted while the rest of their fleet's livery has been revamped completely.

Until they leave, that is the official branding of those planes, so yes it does. It's more than just the MD-80's, there are 737's still running around with it too.

Otherwise, there is not a single winner as every airline mentioned has also included, "its only had minor modifications done". A modification is a modification. That's like a person who just had plastic surgery saying "I only got a little bit of Botox injected, so its like I didn't get any at all."
Commercial / Airline Pilot

crownvic

Thu May 18, 2017 1:43 am

infinit wrote:
sspontak wrote:
vhtje wrote:

No, the former AA scheme was introduced in 1968, the design dating from 1967.

http://www.askthepilot.com/american-air ... ew-livery/

So does AA take the win with a late 60's introduction with the livery still flying on MD-80's?

No, because it is only on a small fleet that hasn't been repainted while the rest of their fleet's livery has been revamped completely.

Not true there are still 737 757 and 767 still flying in old colors thus making those colors the oldest scheme flying today...case closed

PatrickZ80

Thu May 18, 2017 5:47 am

crownvic wrote:
infinit wrote:
sspontak wrote:

Not true there are still 737 757 and 767 still flying in old colors thus making those colors the oldest scheme flying today...case closed

For now, yes. However, not too long from now all AA aircraft still in the old colors will be either repainted or retired. Then this question starts all over again.

RRTrent

Thu May 18, 2017 7:36 am

inflightVideo wrote:
minor mods to the lady on the tail.

That's correct, the lady had some "work" done to "enhance" her appearance :P

VCEflyboy

Thu May 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Not exactly sure but if I were to guess I'd say air china. If I'm not mistakes the air china logo is written in chairman Mao s handwriting so that dates back quite a bit.

GCT64

Thu May 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Kalitta's livery goes back to the 80s (at least).
Flown in: A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,B190,(..54 more types..),VC10,WESX

huaiwei

Fri May 19, 2017 5:40 pm

juliuswong wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
ACDC8 wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:
Singapore Airlines went from a yellow to a gold on their livery... aren't they superstitious about changing the livery after the crash of their 747? Or at least I thought they were, remember reading or watching a program about it ages ago

Seeing that the crashed 744 was a special livery, I don't see how that would have any influence

They were superstitious about having special livery after SQ006 crash, not the standard livery. As a matter of fact, 9V-SPL (the sister ship of crashed 9V-SPK) was pulled out of service immediately to be repainted to standard SQ livery after the crash. It took them a while before they introduced all white "Star Alliance" billboard livery on one of their B777-300A. Thereafter the balls started rolling again.

Many of us attributed it to superstitions. But honestly, even for a non-superstitious person like myself who would not attribute paint jobs to the outcome of a flight, I would not want to see the other plane in special livery too forever. The crash left such a deep emotional scar, that many in the airline and those who care enough about it would not want visual reminders of it day in day out.

Few outside Singapore will be able to comprehend this level of emotional scaring, if one considers that most crashes are already traumatic anyway and it is "just another crash". But if one adds on SQ's safety and quality reputation, the livery meant to celebrate a significant upgrade of seats and amenities, and its role as the global ambassador of a tiny country, you can imagine how long it will take for the airline to ever recover emotionally from that disaster, if at all.
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

NameOmitted

Fri May 19, 2017 10:45 pm

I'm going to go with Ameriflight Aside from Brasilia aircraft that were silver and not white, their livery has been around forever.

aemoreira1981

Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
Not exactly sure but if I were to guess I'd say air china. If I'm not mistakes the air china logo is written in chairman Mao s handwriting so that dates back quite a bit.

Titles and tail logo aside, the livery goes back to CAAC when it was an airline.

ro1960

Fri May 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Kilopond wrote:
there are several airlines that still use the same corporate emblem as they did some 90 years ago: ....Air France (Pegasus)

It's actually a seahorse also nicknamed "la crevette" (shrimp).

c933103

Fri May 19, 2017 11:41 pm

Was Pan Am using same livery from DC3 to 747?

benbeny

Sat May 20, 2017 5:30 am

How about Condor?

PatrickZ80

Sat May 20, 2017 8:57 am

benbeny wrote:
How about Condor?

Condor changed their livery quite often.

JannEejit

Sat May 20, 2017 10:26 am

In British Airways terms, the current Chatham Dockyard design by Newell & Sorrell as revealed on Concorde on June 10th 1997 is virtually unchanged in 20 years (I don't count the addition of the fly to serve crest or off white to brilliant white paint as a livery change). Compare this to the timescales of Negus & Negus (Nov 1973-December 1984, 11 years) and Landor (Dec 1984-June 1987, 12.5 years) then this is their longest lasting livery by far. I realise only Concorde flew in the Chatham tail until it standardised across the fleet, but we must be due a redesign by now ?

Softaero

Sat May 20, 2017 11:04 am

benbeny wrote:
How about Condor?

No way. Their current livery is basically the Thomas Cook livery with Condor titles.
Blown away.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos