Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tistpaa727

Re: Sheraton Hotel Purchased By The City of Atlanta For Sixth Runway.

Mon May 15, 2017 7:42 pm

2 questions that arise from reading a couple clicks from the story you link to another one at (http://www.sunshineskies.com/atlanta-mi ... minal.html).

1) Anyone notice the resemblance of that L-1011 in the Eastern ad to the nose of a 787 or A350? Or is that just me?
2) When was the "exclusive connecting tunnel" in the Eastern ad closed? I've been flying more than I care to admit from Atlanta and never seen that over the past few decades.

Thanks for sharing this update. I've now spent 30 minutes going down the rabbit hole from that story! Good to see steady progress.

Cubsrule

Mon May 15, 2017 7:43 pm

tistpaa727 wrote:
2) When was the "exclusive connecting tunnel" in the Eastern ad closed? I've been flying more than I care to admit from Atlanta and never seen that over the past few decades.

I cannot answer this question with much specificity, but it was definitely open in the 2005 timeframe and is definitely closed now.

airtran737

Mon May 15, 2017 7:55 pm

I loved the Sheraton Gateway. When I worked for FL we used it for meetings and training events all of the time. Later as an employee of World Airways, I used it for their cheap monthly covered parking. I am surprised at how cheap they sold it for. I bet they could have gotten more.

tjwgrr

Mon May 15, 2017 8:27 pm

From viewing a satellite photo, it looks like there are more buildings that will need to be demolished for the new runway- a handful to the east, one of which is the Hartsfield-Jackson Technical Campus.

jetero

Mon May 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
tistpaa727 wrote:

I cannot answer this question with much specificity, but it was definitely open in the 2005 timeframe and is definitely closed now.

2010ish, now a bag tunnel for Delta.

BobPatterson

Mon May 15, 2017 8:39 pm

airtran737 wrote:
I loved the Sheraton Gateway. When I worked for FL we used it for meetings and training events all of the time. Later as an employee of World Airways, I used it for their cheap monthly covered parking. I am surprised at how cheap they sold it for. I bet they could have gotten more.

Why would anyone else buy it knowing that it would eventually be taken by airport expansion?

787fan8

Mon May 15, 2017 9:21 pm

It'll be a shame to see this place go. I tagged along with my dad to a meeting here one time and I thought the place was very nice. Good times.

lightsaber

Tue May 16, 2017 12:50 pm

This is great news. ATL is getting a 6th runway while LHR is getting... Err...
OK, FRA is expanding... Err...
AMS? Nope

OK, the airport won't have any contest for #1 until the new Beijing, new IST, and new Dubai airports come online.

Lightsaber

727LOVER

Tue May 16, 2017 1:18 pm

and add a sixth runway between the existing fourth and fifth runways.

That would be 3rd & 5th runways. LOL

Does this place really need another runway? 10-28 is only used during peak times.

So how long before the hotel closes?

GSPSPOT

Tue May 16, 2017 1:53 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Does this place really need another runway? 10-28 is only used during peak times.

I've heard that pilots hate using it because of excessive taxi times. How would a 6th runway even ther out improve that?

jetero

Tue May 16, 2017 1:54 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

I've heard that pilots hate using it because of excessive taxi times. How would a 6th runway even ther out improve that?

It's not farther out--it's between the south parallels and 10-28.

Atlwarrior
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2017 2:56 pm

The 6th runway will have a interesting landing pattern since 5th runway landings into ATL goes directly over I-285 and Old National Highway when winds are blowing from the East.

Dalmd88

Tue May 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:
The 6th runway will have a interesting landing pattern since 5th runway landings into ATL goes directly over I-285 and Old National Highway when winds are blowing from the East.

It will have essentially the same pattern as the south runway. One will be used for landings the other for take offs.

Gatorman96

Tue May 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Haven't seen any references to length, but assuming it's similar to 10-28, these images provide a example of what the proposed 6th runway will look like:

flyPIT

Tue May 16, 2017 8:38 pm

Gatorman96 wrote:
Haven't seen any references to length, but assuming it's similar to 10-28, these images provide a example of what the proposed 6th runway will look like:

This is what it will look like (note it will not cross the interstate):

Here's an image I drew up when a 6th runway was first suggested:

It would be more expensive than what the current proposal will be, but it would allow triple IFR arrivals to continue when the 5th runway is closed. The current proposal is too close to 9R/27L for that to happen. It would also keep more land available for a second major terminal area if they ever need to revive those plans.

jumbojet

Tue May 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Wouldn't it make the most sense to send the outside airlines, like JetBlue, to the 5th runway? Being that they like to complain about anything and everything, I wouldn't be surprised if that's where they were sent for arrivals and departures at ATL

OzarkD9S

Tue May 16, 2017 10:08 pm

jumbojet wrote:

Wouldn't it make the most sense to send the outside airlines, like JetBlue, to the 5th runway? Being that they like to complain about anything and everything, I wouldn't be surprised if that's where they were sent for arrivals and departures at ATL

Well that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

AWACSooner

Tue May 16, 2017 10:15 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Some of those pilots have never been to AMS apparently ;)

GoSteelers

Tue May 16, 2017 10:57 pm

Yes the taxi time is longer but ask the airline whether they would like a seven mile base turn for 10/28 or go on the downwind for twenty miles for 9R/27L? How much more fuel is burned for a two mile taxi vs twenty flying miles?

GoSteelers

Tue May 16, 2017 11:04 pm

Or ask them when it's IFR and they are landing on 10/28 instead of 9R/27L so the departures aren't subject to two increasing to three seperation.

n757kw

Tue May 16, 2017 11:10 pm

Let the dirt buying begin! Going to need quite a bit of dirt to improve the elevation at the hotel end. Wonder if the city will purchase the office building across from the Southern/Republic/Northwest/Delta hanger.

N757KW

ikramerica

Tue May 16, 2017 11:32 pm

I've got 60 yards of dirt I need to get rid of. Transporting from the West Coast might be an issue though.

r2rho

Wed May 17, 2017 1:05 pm

This is what it will look like (note it will not cross the interstate):

Thanks for that render. A new runway doesn't say much if you don't know how it will be placed.

I am rather surprised at the placement. Too close to both 9R/27L and to 10/28 to allow independent ops. It now interferes with both. It looks like under IFR, it will add no net capacity at all, since the capacity it would add is the same it would take away from 9R/27L and 10/28. So it will only add capacity under VFR.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos