Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ikolkyo
Topic Author

How is Etihad Regional performing?

Mon May 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Ever since the takeover I haven't heard much which could be good news. Was interesting in knowing how they are doing with that brand in Europe.

JoKeR

Re: How is Etihad Regional performing?

Mon May 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Last I heard a few months ago - it's not. The only investments merely profitable and working are apparently Air Serbia, Air Seychelles and Jet Airways. Other EY investments have all but "failed" to deliver.

Qualifailure anyone? Seems history repeats itself...

vadodara

Mon May 15, 2017 9:44 pm

Jet Airways in particular, and Air Serbia in general, were airlines with potential that had some management issues and had run into cash-flow stress. A cash bail-out would have helped.

This is exactly what happened. Again for Jet, their nirvana has been better existing fleet deployment by tying-up with Sky Team.

In general, Hogan's strategy of throwing money everywhere has proven to be unworkable.

drgmobile

Mon May 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Perhaps I am wrong on this, but I don't think all y'all are talking about the same thing. Etihad Regional is the brand being used for Darwin Airline, the Swiss regional carrier. It feeds partner carriers along with other regional routes using Saab 2000s and ATR-72s. Etihad Partners is the name of Etihad's umbrella alliance for the carriers it has within its purview (Alitalia, Air Berlin, Air Serbia, Jet Airways, Air Seychelles, Etihad), which Etihad Regional feed.

Now the fact that most of its partners aren't doing well would suggest that Etihad Regional also wouldn't be doing well, but that's not a given. A quick Google search turns up not a lot of information. Wikipedia and news articles suggest it has cancelled a lot of its operations, but perhaps it has found gold somewhere else.

NYCVIE

Tue May 16, 2017 2:08 am

drgmobile wrote:
Perhaps I am wrong on this, but I don't think all y'all are talking about the same thing. Etihad Regional is the brand being used for Darwin Airline, the Swiss regional carrier. It feeds partner carriers along with other regional routes using Saab 2000s and ATR-72s. Etihad Partners is the name of Etihad's umbrella alliance for the carriers it has within its purview (Alitalia, Air Berlin, Air Serbia, Jet Airways, Air Seychelles, Etihad), which Etihad Regional feed.

Now the fact that most of its partners aren't doing well would suggest that Etihad Regional also wouldn't be doing well, but that's not a given. A quick Google search turns up not a lot of information. Wikipedia and news articles suggest it has cancelled a lot of its operations, but perhaps it has found gold somewhere else.

I think they actually are referring to Etihad Regional by alluding that it is one of a few EY investments that haven't panned out.

On another note though, what exactly is the point of EY Regional and what does it actually serve in the wider EY strategy?

lightsaber

Tue May 16, 2017 2:17 am

vadodara wrote:
Jet Airways in particular, and Air Serbia in general, were airlines with potential that had some management issues and had run into cash-flow stress. A cash bail-out would have helped.

This is exactly what happened. Again for Jet, their nirvana has been better existing fleet deployment by tying-up with Sky Team.

In general, Hogan's strategy of throwing money everywhere has proven to be unworkable.

Hogan will not be remembered as a great airline CEO. So much money... wasted! It is as if he was trying just to find a home for funds.

And yes, Skyteam has done wonders for Jet. I wondered if EY would join Skyteam, but that looks unlikely...

What a crater of an investment strategy.

Lightsaber